Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

One of my favorite paths is when Sigma and Phi are playing against each other and she changes her answer because she knows you're trying to trick her with morphogenetic manipulation

what happens if you go Ally first in that branch and then Betray? I imagine the resolution stays the same but I can't really see how it would have played out that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

what happens if you go Ally first in that branch and then Betray? I imagine the resolution stays the same but I can't really see how it would have played out that way

I don't know but I'll try it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

got the ending where everybody dies from turbo AIDS

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

do you need to play the first one to play Virtue's Last Reward? ive never played any of them but might pick up vlr for 3ds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The stories are kinda intertwined so I would say yea. I played VLR first and I wish I hadn't in retrospect

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tenmyouji: [unprompted] Hmmm... Did you know the government is developing spaceships with particle annihilation engines?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tumor looking batty posted:

do you need to play the first one to play Virtue's Last Reward? ive never played any of them but might pick up vlr for 3ds

I played VLR first and it was great on its own but there were some reveals that didn't really mean anything to me since I hadn't played 999. If you can't find a copy of the DS cart for 999 I think there's a visual novel version on iOS with all the puzzles stripped out but at that point you might as well watch an LP or something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tenmyouji: You really sure you want to know?

Sigma: Huh?

Tenmyouji: Maybe I'll tell you, and then you'll regret it. Maybe you'll wish you'd kept your fool mouth shut. Just think about all the hopes you've got the for future all the happy memories of your past. What if what I have to tell you makes everything you've ever believed ring hollow, and the whole world just crumbles around you? You sure you want that?

Sigma: H-Hey c'mon, you don't need to threaten me...

Tenmyouji: This isn't a threat, I'm being honest here. Are you really, truly prepared?

Sigma: W-Well of course.

Tenmyouji took a deep breath as a shadow passed over his face. His eyes began to glimmer with hostility as he started to speak.

Tenmyouji: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYo2wtL9fsY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also like this one AB room bit when you're with clover where she says the phrase "you'd just throw me around" with different inflections depending on which timeline you're in, and in one of them you do actually throw her around.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

There's a screenshot of the flowchart up on steam :staredog:

http://i.imgur.com/v52WvvX.jpg

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

goferchan posted:

this is what i did. it's cooller that way i think because you don't realize what happened until you betray

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yyeah i did that too nd it's really cool, phi betrays you nd says it was revenge for betraying her which you havent done yet nd it sets up the whole thing really well

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

hth

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

VLR is $12 on the eshop for nintendos e3 sale if for some reason you're reading this thread and havent played it

edit: also don't be afraid to look at that ZTD flowchart screenshot I posted, I spoiled it just in case but it doesn't tell you anything except for the game looks freaking HUGE...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol I forgot that Dio is a 4th generation clone army general for a religious extremist terrorist sect who infiltrated the nonary game this game is ridiculous

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

The stories are kinda intertwined so I would say yea. I played VLR first and I wish I hadn't in retrospect

ty. im going to buy 999 for me phone

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
VLR is on sale for Nintendo 3DS. I still need to finish it. Thank you for putting spoilers around actual spoilers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured some people might be playing for the first time so better safe than sorry

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That's very kind of you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like a moron because I spent a while puzzling out the rec room darts but it turned out to be the bonus password and now I can't figure out how to find the actual password

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I feel like a moron because I spent a while puzzling out the rec room darts but it turned out to be the bonus password and now I can't figure out how to find the actual password

Uhhhh iirc the actual password might be another thing with the darts that I found harder than the bonus solution. I know one of those loving dice puzzles works like that and it was really annoying. If they still let you mess with the dartboard after getting the bonus password that's probably the case

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured it out soon after posting that haha.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

tumor looking batty posted:

ty. im going to buy 999 for me phone

wait... wasnt the phone version of 999 the one with all the puzzles and gameplay taken out

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

no they will not posted:

wait... wasnt the phone version of 999 the one with all the puzzles and gameplay taken out

hai

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

no they will not posted:

death to phone games

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
for 999 it was alright cause you had to redo the puzzles, it wasn't like VLR where there was a way to skip past them on repeat playthroughs

im so glad this game's coming out, it's going to be fantastic!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

no they will not posted:

nooo

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
googled this... https://www.destructoid.com/999-on-ios-lacks-any-actual-gameplay-254765.phtml not sure if they fixed it for the western release. hope so

Fungah! posted:

death to phone games

the ghost trick port was pretty good. and i liked layton bros

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I like the phone version of The World Ends With You better than the DS one. the changes to the battle system are debatable (I liked em) but the sound quality and higher res graphics are so nice. Ghost Trick works great on a phone too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

no they will not posted:

googled this... https://www.destructoid.com/999-on-ios-lacks-any-actual-gameplay-254765.phtml not sure if they fixed it for the western release. hope so

Nah there's no puzzles in the English phone version either but I guess it's better than not playing it at all. Honestly the puzzles are a nice break from the VN stuff but it's not like they're thematically tied to the rest of the game or anything, outside of the puzzle rooms themselves the dialogue barely acknowledged their existence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish there was a timeline in VLR where everybody stopped joking about it and actually got poo poo faced in the lounge

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

Lol I forgot that Dio is a 4th generation clone army general for a religious extremist terrorist sect who infiltrated the nonary game this game is ridiculous

https://youtu.be/rD6d8vAL9EY

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

here's a comparison of the 3 versions

3DS
Vita
Steam

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i shall buy it on steam to experience the true taletell games engine 60 fps master race

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imagine bow sick the Steam Emoticons for this game are gonna be

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Imagine bow sick the Steam Emoticons for this game are gonna be

:dianaface:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Something I've noticed more on this replay of VLR is that each major branch has like its own tone and plot completely which is cool. I'm on the last third now and its the one where everything unravels because the parallel timelines are no longer consistent and sigma is way too aware of everything that's happening, it's a good one to lead into the finale with. I think this is the path with The Reveal too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I like how the far left one is everybody gets brutally murdered. I did that first I think and expected all the plot lines to end in a total blood bath and was pleasantly surprised when they weren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm going to go home and play this game.

• Locked thread