Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This thread is for the discussion as well as the ridicule of Megacon Games. That includes:

Myth is a game about taking 2 to 5 characters through a series of rooms in which monsters spawn and you kill them.

There are quests, there’s loot, there’s player progression, and there’s lots of dice rolling. This game has a couple of interesting twists on the usual game of this type. Whenever a player performs an action, it adjusts their threat as well as a meter that determines when the enemies get to attack. You’re supposed to coordinate with your other players to come up with a good strategy and execute it. Also, monsters follow a priority for their attacks, where some might attack the player with the lowest hit points but others might just attack whoever is closest.

The rulebook is awful. The rules make sense and the game flows decently once you have the game under your belt, but the rulebook was written so badly that someone from Fantasy Flight Games offered to rewrite it, and the rewrite is significantly better than the original. The version 2 rules are up for free on the Megacon Games website, as well as some free expansion material. Unfortunately, any significant expansion to this game will require you to drop money appropriate for a miniatures game.

MERCS is the other flagship game from Megacon. It’s a miniatures skirmish game in which you take 5 mercenaries and pit them against 5 other mercenaries.

MERCS has some interesting things in its favor that are also bad things. Take for example the low unit count per side. At first this seems really cool, but then you find out that those miniatures are pretty drat expensive. Or at least they would be if you were buying them at retail for MSRP, instead of out of a clearance bin or online sale where you probably will find it. They have really nifty bases with notches every 90 degrees to determine facing, so you don’t have to paint them on yourself, as of the MERCS Recon game’s release. I believe older packaging still has regular bases. There’s a handy card used for measuring distance, but who the gently caress wants that?
Anyways, it’s actually pretty fun to play, and the rules are very simple, even though the actual rulebook is about an inch thick.

MERCS Recon is a board game like Myth, not a skirmish game. The idea is you and your friends are mercenaries doing some kind of mission where you search rooms, find the objective, and execute whatever the objective is.

It’s your only source of plastic figures for the MERCS skirmish game at the moment, making it a very cheap option to get a lot of figures for the skirmish game, though not in small amounts. The idea here is kind of like Mantic’s Deadzone/Warpath setup, where you can buy stuff for one and use it in the other, but where Mantic gives you all the stuff you need to use one or another in the rulebook alone, you’ll need to buy cards for this.

I don’t have much to say about this except that my Kickstarter pledge took way longer to get to me than it should have, but I did eventually get it.

MERCS Conflict is a dice game. I don’t like dice games, so I played it once and I will never play it again. I did not like it, but there is SOME decision making to be had. Ultimately your options are determined by dice, though.

I know that I’m not the only sucker on this forum that got pulled into some of these Kickstarter projects. Discuss, or make fun of these games here.

Mods sorry about the poo poo post icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I went to the mercs site the other day looking for generic "soldiers from the near future" minis and there wasn't even a page for each faction or explanation of how you buy-in further than the 2-3 random boxes available at the moment.

So I totally understand this thread.

And I also dislike miniature sites that have a near monopoly over game supplies like 6mm future, and don't even bother to spend a day taking digital photographs for their website, so I have to buy blind.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Let me save you some effort looking for pictures

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wanted to make the "con" part of megacon pun...

Myth models weren't the best thing ever, but they can across pretty well. Those images look like the models are actually a step back.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I think the problem with the mercs minis is that we're so used to CAD-assisted sculpting for scifi now, honestly. Those minis are hand-sculpted greens (as far as I've been led to believe), which works waaaay better in fantasy where you don't need precise angles.

Excepting the above of course, that's just shoddy casting and what the gently caress is up with the bottom dude? His pose is wrong for someone who's supposed to be holding a riot shield, you get THREE of them, they sculpted some weird neck, and how is this scrawny dude a riot shield shock troop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

I wanted to make the "con" part of megacon pun...

Myth models weren't the best thing ever, but they can across pretty well. Those images look like the models are actually a step back.

They are. They went with a different manufacturer who hadn't done this type of production before and hosed up quite a few things. Megacon went out to their site to check into things and found a bunch of the problems but I've heard wave 2 still has issues. (I have wave 2, but for various reasons it's a bit hard for me to tell if any of mine do or not.)

Megacon as a company frustrate me. They have cool ideas and execution ranging from okay to severely subpar.

• Locked thread