Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Phi230 posted:

sex scenes and hetero sexualization are also bad don't be immature

i know that

but people who are mad about minority representation tend to have no problems with this

they don't care about pandering they're just mad that people who are different from them are getting pandered to too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
also i agree with what you said in the stuff you added in edit

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

That's my argument now too

RottenK posted:

i know that

but people who are mad about minority representation tend to have no problems with this

they don't care about pandering they're just mad that people who are different from them are getting pandered to too

poo poo yea that's why my argument isn't "don't represent these characters"

its represent more of them, everywhere.

I want a video game without a single straight white person in it, unironically, if not just for the nerd outrage.

I believe there is a game set in Africa that reddit was in an outrage over because there were no white people in it. More of that.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

then do it anyway bioware is one of the biggest companies in the world they can handle reddit getting mad

i know but i feel bad for small devs who get hit with this poo poo :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

poo poo yea that's why my argument isn't "don't represent these characters"

its represent more of them, everywhere.

I want a video game without a single straight white person in it, unironically, if not just for the nerd outrage.

I believe there is a game set in Africa that reddit was in an outrage over because there were no white people in it. More of that.

Make all of the planets in SWTOR gay planets! Straight people get a designated planet in DLC.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Apparently all of EA's trailers are leaking early, here's FIFA 17 "Journey" trying the NBA 2K style career mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LHzVEPodg&feature=youtu.be

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Phi230 posted:

The purpose in which they are portrayed. A token gay character is expressly a minority so you have like one gay dude represented at all. The purpose of representing them at all being to appear progressive and inclusive rather than any other reason. Also included to be a "gay character" rather than a character who is gay, which is the biggest and most important distinction. Whatever character's gayness is the point of the character whereas a good character being gay would be something that gives that character more depth as apart of several other character traits.

Minorities are normal people and are not defined by their status as a minority. To make a character "oh that's the gay one" does nothing but to separate gay from normal.

Okay, that makes sense.

This is difficult for videogames I think because videogame characters are generally not nuanced people no matter what their orientation is, and they are usually defined by a few major traits

like "good" or "not good"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Phi230 posted:

sex scenes in games at least exist for no reason solely for nerds to jerk off. Bioware is soooo guilty of this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, Miranda was good

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
there is no such thing as a sex scene with artistic and narrative merit

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Steve2911 posted:

Make all of the planets in SWTOR gay planets! Straight people get a designated planet in DLC.

the "gay planet" poo poo is exactly what I'm talking about

yay for LGBT representation

but they're literally segregated from everybody else as different

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but isn't a big part of her story that she was genetically engineered to be sexy as gently caress, and her story is based around escaping from and killing the creepy bastard that designed her?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HMS Boromir posted:

lars von trier

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

actually, in neon genesis evangelion,

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

the "gay planet" poo poo is exactly what I'm talking about

yay for LGBT representation

but they're literally segregated from everybody else as different

Again I think this was Bioware earnestly trying to address an issue after the fact, and going about it in a clumsy way. Which I infinitely prefer to them not trying at all.

They're getting better all the time. :unsmith: (Except their games aren't).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

My memory is a bit fuzzy but isn't a big part of her story that she was genetically engineered to be sexy as gently caress, and her story is based around escaping from and killing the creepy bastard that designed her?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mass Effect 2 lets you defenestrate a man from a trillionth story window for doing his job, making it the superior ME game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Black Panther in the newest Cap movie was good.

especially because the outrage that an african nation would be on the same level technologically as everybody else

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

Mass Effect 2 lets you defenestrate a man from a trillionth story window for doing his job, making it the superior ME game.

If he was doing his job he wouldn't have deserved it.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

Wasn't that, like, the entire pretense of why The Brown Bunny exists?

Orv
May 4, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

If he was doing his job he wouldn't have deserved it.

Who said anything about deserving it?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
goon misanthropy is peaking

must be that time of year

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

fivegears4reverse posted:

If it was up there with either one of those games, it'd have a playerbase on PC.

It does. People still play Quake 3 and UT as well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poonerman posted:

goon misanthropy is peaking

must be that time of year

People are talking about sex, time to talk about Lars Von Trier

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
get psyched

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'll be working or sleeping through just about all of the conferences this year.

And I'm ok with that. What a cool feeling.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

seriously quit loving crying about gay people and get hype for video games :woot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna be at the zoo on Tursday

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Accordion Man posted:

Alpha Protocol is the best Mass Effect game.

Obsidian makes the best bioware games tbh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Xenolalia posted:

Obsidian makes the best bioware games tbh

Made*

:[

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

G4 was dope back in the mid 2000s dude.

I give this network a 4... out of 5

Tech TV motherfucker!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

Made*

:[

Pillars of Eternity is the best 90s/early 00s Bioware game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Steve2911 posted:

Pillars of Eternity is the best 90s/early 00s Bioware game.

I'm all for the revival of the classical crpg, but I miss their bigger budget output.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Commissar Ken posted:

Tech TV motherfucker!

haha thats how you know someone is old school... that poo poo was before my time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

I'm all for the revival of the classical crpg, but I miss their bigger budget output.

Me too, but I can't see them allying with a large publisher for a big budget RPG outing any time soon. They've both burned and been burned quite a lot.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i cant wait for bethesda to announce that they bought the rights to the Wasteland series and now it's a multiplayer-only post apocalyptic fps made in the gamebryo engine

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the memes are gonna be fire today

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Bioware needs to make another Jade Empire, then I'll be hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SUNKOS posted:

It does. People still play Quake 3 and UT as well.

I don't think anyone will be clinging to the original Titanfall quite that hard 15 years from now, which is the key difference, and why I wouldn't put it anywhere near UT or Q3. It's biggest problem is definitely a lack of content, to the point that all the near movement stuff in the game, and the Titans themselves, didn't stop the game from losing an enormous percentage of its userbase within a month of release. Particularly on PC.

Maybe they'll fix it with Titanfall 2, but the ball is firmly in NotInfinty Ward's court to prove that they can, and they fumbled hard with the first game.

• Locked thread