Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

fractalairduct posted:

It is absolutely possible to play the game without killing anyone. You get a very marginally different ending for doing it.

If there are a lot of cops in one place then there's almost always a way to get past them without fighting any. I can only think of three places in the game where you're absolutely required to take everyone out before moving on, and you can always do that non-lethally.

When I played and beat the game a long time ago I can remember i think two or three required fight locations. Or at least two locations where progress is soft blocked by enemies, meaning don't have to fight the enemies, but there is a door hatch you have to slowly crank open or a pipe to slowly climb and trying to do so with enemies around gets you lit up. Everywhere else it's entire possible to just run your way through things. It becomes your call if engaging enemies is worth it or not everywhere else.

Frenzy criticized the melee combat in the game for being too hard when you have to deal with multiple opponents at the same time. To that I agree that it's near impossible to win a melee fight in the game vs multiple enemies, but i think that's missing the point. You're not supposed to go toe to toe 1 v 2+. Hell, you're not supposed to go 1v1 toe to toe. You move and use the terrain to your advantage to make lightning or surprise strikes. In the video he showed off the power of the wall run kick, spinning a guard around and stunning him long enough for a one button disarm that knocks the guard out and steals his gun at the same time. That's how you do it. You set up opportunistic moments like that and you avoid full frontal combat.

Love the art style in this game. Really gives the feeling of a kind of white washed dystopian world. Everything white mostly, and then large swaths of a single other color. It's only ever white and one other color around. Creates a real sense of artificiality to me. So unreal because in the real world you look around and everything is different colors, you never see that much uniform coloring. The music too, love it so much. I think the art, the music, and the conversations really subtly make a wonderful world that leaves the impression that there is something terribly fake and wrong about the world you are moving through. It's just under the surface and you can't quite see it fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Your point about running from enemies made me realize that I pretty much always choose to fight in this game. I'm thinking it's cause I'm mainly an FPS guy, so I jump at the chances to inject a little bit of that into the game. I'll have to keep that in mind and maybe choose to run sometimes if it makes sense.

Not to suggest anything to effect your play style for the LP, but consider going over a level or two and re-evaluating fight or flight situations. For example when you climb out of the big sewer hole in the ground and you're up against 4 white armor guys with shotguns you really don't need to fight them. Getting up on top of the cargo containers and jumping over the fence puts you in a place they can not reach and quickly puts you through a doorway to break any lines of fire.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
As someone that was put off to hiking by having to go to Yosemite once a year with their parents ages 8-14, hiking is boring as gently caress and seems like the perfect time to spend drinking. Why wouldn't it be?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
You can walk a 15-20 minute mile, and while the sign said 8 miles from where Henry parked the truck he told Delilah that he hiked for two days. I don't think it's really a thing the game paid much attention to. The scale or time frame is way off for parked 8 miles away and either took 8 hours or took 2 days. It doesn't really matter in any case.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Am sad your first instinct was not to throw the fireworks on the campfire to see if there was a Easter egg / comedy reaction for it.

There is.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
So Henry murdered two teenage girls in the woods. Wow, this story took a turn for the dark quick.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

While this photo has nothing to do with forests, it's one of my favourite pictures ever. This is me taking a piss off the top of Sirius Peak in the Rockies. Note: that picture was taken like 12 years ago and I'm wearing the boots that just died last year.

Wait, are we sharing pictures of us peeing off of mountains? Well then buddy, I want in on this.

This is me peeing off some small mountain a little south east of the home town of fellow goon Tiny Turtle, nearish Akranes Iceland. The photo was taken with out my knowledge by fellow goon GuavaMoment. Let me tell you it was windy as gently caress up there and my pee made a 90 degree mid air turn and never hit the ground as far as I remember, just said 'gently caress this' made a right angle and then was turned into a fine windy mist.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Public image. The whole city is built around the idea of this neat and clean and safe environment for the citizens. You start opening up with gunfire from helicopters and then the people start thinking they are living in a war zone.

Which doesn't really explain a few times there actually IS a helicopter raining bullets down on Faith. So all I can say for that is that it's a one time 'highly wanted criminal on the run' and not something the city wants to be doing as a regular thing. Parkour cops could be considered a much more public friendly alternative. Or using the minimum force necessary to stop runners rather than turning rooftops into a shooting gallery.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh man, this is getting tense. Finish Firewatch, I can't handle the suspense!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I really want to get in on the Delilah has something to do with it thinking. The time she left her radio open she said 'No, he doesn't suspect anything' and that never got addressed or brought up again. Out of nowhere she suggests to burn down the listening post and after henry declines and gets out of there it catches fire anyway. The new radio is still apparently tapped and recorded, despite no one being at the listening post.

There's just a lot of little things that I wouldn't think much of at the time, but given breaks in the LP to ponder it starts seeming more suspicious.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Seemed like a fitting ending to me. It feels fitting to my real world experiences. You suffer some sort of severe emotional trauma and you do things like this. Delilah, Henry, and Ned all broke down in some way and said gently caress it, I need to escape the world in my own way. And at the end of it, there sometimes isn't a real resolution to it. There's no end to the pain, no fix to what's broken. Henry was looking to Delilah to be some sort of new start, a better outlook on life and a way for him to be happy with out having to look back at his sick wife and family in law that hate his guts. She's just as messed up too and running from her own problems and it probably would have been better for them both if they met up and worked through things together. That's definitely a situation that is true to life for me.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
It's been a long time since I have played Mirrors Edge, but that seemed like a really circuitous route you took to get to the sniper.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Well right, yeah, but even still I remember there being a lot of cover even if you go in a mostly straight line rather than switchback all over the place.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm surprised to hear you say the plot is disjointed. It's pretty simple and you are right that there are multiple things going on at once but there are really only two main threads and every thing else is connected to one of those two. Kate is framed to advance Callahan's agenda and the Icarus project. Subset to those is the rescue of Kate, Ropeburn and PK, Celeste's betrayal, and Jack Knife's involvement. It all seemed simple and easy to follow for me but it's been a long time since I played it through in a sitting. One thing you said at the end was calling Jack Knife the big bad guy at the end and that struck me a little oddly. I never got the impression that he was the big bad guy ever. When you speak with him he is always talking with the attitude of 'there is someone bigger and more powerful out there, always'. At the very end he says 'Let's just say I know who the bigger fish are', That says to me that he's not the power player, he's not in control of anything but he knows enough to know who are sitting in power and is probably working under the direction and protection of a bigger and more powerful entity or organization.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah I think you're fair on some of the hasty transitions between levels Frenzy, and in particular the rescue Kate/lose Kate immediately cutscene is super weak about it.

I still don't understand how you think Jacknife is taking credit for Icarus or Pope's murder. To me Jacknife reads as a loner who see's who the power players are and sells his allegiance for whatever best suits him. I have no thoughts that he was involved in Pope's murder. If he was, why would he point Faith to Ropeburn if he himself was the killer? Put Faith on a trail that leads back to him? Doesn't make sense. I thought it was pretty explicitly spelled out that Ropeburn was payed to betray Pope, and in turn hired Cel for the murder. Cel doing it as an act of good faith to cross the lines from Runner to being in the Callaghan camp.

So the assassination part is getting a little weaker here than I first thought, but still not seeing Jacknife as anything more than a smarmy rear end in a top hat who just has a better picture of all the players and whats going on than the Runners do.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Krieg was never shown as dead, and maybe the sequel would be about training Kate to live as a fugitive runner. And there's plenty of space to introduce more characters and add more lore and backstory to it. There's a lot of room to make up a lot of cool story and people and bits in the background of Mirrors Edge City setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
It was pretty clearly stated that Jacknife used to be a runner, and by some of the dialog i got the impression that Faith and Jacknife dated. From there it would be pretty normal for Jacknife to know Celeste, and Merc.

You're right about him being the guy at the end and it seems a bit out of place since he was just sort of an aloof messenger/untrustworthy information source the previous times Faith Dealt with him.

• Locked thread