Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's basically the movie (they are, indeed, actual vampires). The ending as far as i remember was that she couldn't handle Elle Fanning's pure unbusted-vagina beauty inside her wretched bitchy fake non-beautiful body. Something something male gaze, LA is a jungle, you'll get eaten alive, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh right, she was the one that liked having all the plastic surgery.
I guess my main gripe is that I was just bored with any scene that didn't have Keanu Reeves.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There were some really good scenes that would function in a David Lynch film (the catwalk tryout) but Refn is such a huge wimp that he can't live up to the promise of real violence or outright campiness, and instead settles on the subdued, tasteful version.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There were some really good scenes that would function in a David Lynch film (the catwalk tryout) but Refn is such a huge wimp that he can't live up to the promise of real violence or outright campiness, and instead settles on the subdued, tasteful version.

The Neon Demon is both campy and violent. Your complaints about this movie are limp and uninteresting. Go away.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The main theme of a sheep among wolves wasn't very strong to me.
The main girl didn't have to fight for anything. She just allowed the world to happen to her aside from refusing Ruby's advances. She's a blank stand-in that I didn't care about at all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Super Fan posted:

The Neon Demon is both campy and violent. Your complaints about this movie are limp and uninteresting. Go away.

No, i'm going to stay here and furiously masturbate.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, i'm going to stay here and furiously masturbate.

I want you to vividly describe your masturbation session. It can't be as bad as you posting about movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Super Fan posted:

I want you to vividly describe your masturbation session. It can't be as bad as you posting about movies.

Depends on how many Arby's Beef 'n' Cheddars I've had.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Depends on how many Arby's Beef 'n' Cheddars I've had.

You're no long reiterating the same point over and over again. You're making some progress Magic Hate Ball!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Super Fan posted:

You're no long reiterating the same point over and over again. You're making some progress Magic Hate Ball!

here i go

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's ok to dislike a movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
shut up it's time for arbys

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

Inzombiac posted:

I rented this after being enamoured with the marketing materials.

Typically, I like slow movies and I like weird/surreal movies. I did not enjoy this movie much at all and I'm having difficulty putting it to words.

Maybe my reading was too shallow but what I got was a young model rolls into town, gets a lot of attention and success. Other women that have been at this longer get jealous and pretend to be her friend but secretly resent her. Ruby falls in love with her and takes her rebuffed advances out on a corpse with solidifies that she's unhinged. The model in the bathroom trying to drink the blood from her cut hand was very odd but makes sense if vampires are in the mix.

The ending, to me, seemed to come out of nowhere. Since everyone in the film is droll and passive-aggressive, it was hard to tell boredom from hate.
So Ruby and her two... thralls (?) kill the protagonist, chop her up, fill a tub with her blood for Ruby to rejuvenate in and they all eat the remainder. Then one thrall freaks out and kills herself because, and I'm speculating here, it was her first kill and couldn't handle it.

Sorry, I'm just talking plot points but the vampire/demon aspect just didn't come across at the time. It read that three psychotic women in the modeling world killed their top rival and had a old fashioned blood party.

It's not the most narratively satisfying movie. It's not apparently Refn's thing, outside of Bronson and Drive.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shageletic posted:

It's not the most narratively satisfying movie. It's not apparently Refn's thing, outside of Bronson and Drive.

I'm gonna watch Spring Breakers and Neon Demon back to back and call it the Narrative Can Blow Me, Give Me All The Neon Lighting Double Feature.

Because narrative can blow me, give me all the neon lighting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Hey, Spring Breakers is excellent.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I still think Valhalla Rising is Refn's best, y'all should watch it.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Inzombiac posted:

The main theme of a sheep among wolves wasn't very strong to me.
The main girl didn't have to fight for anything. She just allowed the world to happen to her aside from refusing Ruby's advances. She's a blank stand-in that I didn't care about at all.

I don't think this is accurate; the sheep among wolves theme is a surface level interpretation, let alone the main theme of the movie. Refn makes it a point to establish that she's self-made (Via forging parental signatures) and the sequence with the gold paint shows her having a quasi religious experience. Dean becomes frustrated when she doesn't leave with him because he believes he knows the real her. You are Dean.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
something something gilding a lily

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

something something lazy poster blah blah blah

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I honestly don't understand what you mean, how is this an example of gilding the lily?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
She's a beautiful perfect model and he's pouring gold on her. She is her own perfection, she doesn't need a dude pouring his own vision on her. She's as perfect as the stark triangle she sees on the catwalk. It's just a connective image. It also looks neat.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

She does need his vision. He's a gatekeeper of fame and fortune. "I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't write... no real talent. But I'm pretty, and I can make money off pretty. "

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, but not on the more mythical levell, it's only because of her fatal flaw (her need to be seen) that he and her audience are necessary. What's the point of being perfect if nobody notices? It's standard witchy fairytale stuff.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Hey, Spring Breakers is excellent.

I was being 100% genuine there, I loving love Spring Breakers. It is one of my favorite movies.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, but not on the more mythical levell, it's only because of her fatal flaw (her need to be seen) that he and her audience are necessary. What's the point of being perfect if nobody notices? It's standard witchy fairytale stuff.

This is a very uninteresting take and really did not need to be expressed. Humans are social creatures and it's part of our survival instinct to want to be desired. A big theme of the movie was how primal the nature of beauty is.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

KVeezy3 posted:

This is a very uninteresting take and really did not need to be expressed. Humans are social creatures and it's part of our survival instinct to want to be desired.

That's literally half the plot of the movie, that she's mythically perfect.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's literally half the plot of the movie, that she's mythically perfect.

Yes, and her desire to use her beauty is part of it. Is Michael Jordan flawed because he required an audience for his talents to soar?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

KVeezy3 posted:

Yes, and her desire to use her beauty is part of it. Is Michael Jordan flawed because he required an audience for his talents to soar?

Well, no, but this is also a movie about the fashion industry, and about beauty, and the need to be looked at. Theoretically she could go live in a hole in the ground and revel in her own beauty but it feels good to weld that power and make other people see it. I like that aspect of the script, it feels like something out of a greek tragedy.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, no, but this is also a movie about the fashion industry, and about beauty, and the need to be looked at. Theoretically she could go live in a hole in the ground and revel in her own beauty but it feels good to weld that power and make other people see it. I like that aspect of the script, it feels like something out of a greek tragedy.

It's not really about the fashion industry, the industry is just used as a backdrop to be able to speak about beauty in explicit terms. No, theoretically she can't live in a hole in the ground. Who are all these people that can supposedly do this? What writer only writes books and then buries them in the ground?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

KVeezy3 posted:

It's not really about the fashion industry, the industry is just used as a backdrop to be able to speak about beauty in explicit terms.

hmm

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, no, but this is also a movie about the fashion industry, and about beauty, and the need to be looked at.

KVeezy3 posted:

No, theoretically she can't live in a hole in the ground. Who are all these people that can supposedly do this? What writer only writes books and then buries them in the ground?

None (except maybe Adam and Eve pre-apple), that's why I said "theoretically". It's as much about beauty as it is about what beauty can do, and it's her human needs (audience, help, friendship) that betray her.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

Michael Jordan is definitely one of the most tragically flawed personalities in America. Just like Kanye. He just hides it better.

I wonder if Kanye saw Neon Demon. He loved Enter The Void so much he swagger jacked it for his Lights music video. I wouldn't doubt he'd be a big Refn fan as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kanye has serious brain issues tho. i don't think his airness do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Michael Jordan is definitely one of the most tragically flawed personalities in America. Just like Kanye. He just hides it better.

I wonder if Kanye saw Neon Demon. He loved Enter The Void so much he swagger jacked it for his Lights music video. I wouldn't doubt he'd be a big Refn fan as well.

Wayne Gretsky, Muhammed Ali, whatever.

• Locked thread