Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdbFznqc8S0

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn (Bronson, Valhalla Rising, Drive, Only God Forgives)
Writers: Nicolas Winding Refn, Mary Laws, Polly Stenham
Cinematographer: Natasha Braier (XXY, The Rover)
Composer: Cliff Martinez (Drive, Spring Breakers, Only God Forgives)
Editor: Matthew Newman (Bronson, Valhalla Rising, Drive, Only God Forgives)

Starring
Elle Fanning
Keanu Reeves
Jena Malone
Christina Hendricks
Bella Heathcote
Abbey Lee

http://i.imgur.com/JTgsXae.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
How wide a release is this getting? I hate summers because my home town doesn't have any good theaters.

Either way, super excited for this, just wish I had a chance to see Refn on the biggie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't know, I haven't been able to figure out what sort of release it's going to get. June 24, the US release date, isn't listed as "limited" anywhere, but I haven't been able to figure out how many theaters it's going to be in. Hopefully we'll know more as it gets closer.

And, yeah, I'm hoping it releases near me, even if I'm also wondering just how much it's going to be creep central.

grahf987
May 11, 2009
Thanks for making a thread about this movie. After seeing a few trailers and reading a few things about this movie I am anticipating this more than anything else this year. They really make it seem like the Fanning girl is something special in the previews even though she surrounded by objectively just as beautiful of women, not to belittle her, she is beautiful and looks like she pulls off that "Sun" look perfectly. Refn is a master of hero shots.
Had not planned on the creep factor. I am probably part of it, male who likes to see movies alone. How creepy would I look going alone opening day? Most people I know only want to see mainstream movies. I'd of course leave the trench coat at home.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I was mostly joking. There's nothing inappropriate about going to see a movie by yourself and the best way to come across as a creep is to act like you're doing something wrong by being there. If you're lucky enough to get to see what appears to be a gorgeous movie on the big screen, go for it.

grahf987
May 11, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was mostly joking. There's nothing inappropriate about going to see a movie by yourself and the best way to come across as a creep is to act like you're doing something wrong by being there. If you're lucky enough to get to see what appears to be a gorgeous movie on the big screen, go for it.

Joking as well, about the only films I would feel wrong going by myself would be a kids movie. Luckily I live close enough to Austin I should get to see it there in a theater, Drive was probably served well by the screen space.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I can't wait to get my hands on this soundtrack! I love Martinez.

grahf987
May 11, 2009

Munsun posted:

I can't wait to get my hands on this soundtrack! I love Martinez.

I not big on soundtracks but the more serious films I see are starting to mean more and more. It's disheartening that so many mediocre movies are culturally relevant and have so much less thought and art to them the then a movie like this, I presume. I'll look Martinez (band, female, male, ?) up. Preaching to a choir I'm sure. More soundtracks you or anybody would recommend? if you don't mind?

grahf987
May 11, 2009
Well, Drive not withstanding. I loved it but I can understand any of the sarcasm for the seemingly unsincerer.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

grahf987 posted:

I not big on soundtracks but the more serious films I see are starting to mean more and more. It's disheartening that so many mediocre movies are culturally relevant and have so much less thought and art to them the then a movie like this, I presume. I'll look Martinez (band, female, male, ?) up. Preaching to a choir I'm sure. More soundtracks you or anybody would recommend? if you don't mind?

Cliff Martinez has done the last few soundtracks for Refn. I especially like the Only God Forgives one, but if it ain't your cup of tea, it is understandable!

As far as movie music in general, I like Hans Zimmer and Ennio Morricone a lot. Just about anything of theirs. :)

I'm pretty curious to see what kind of role Keanu will serve in this. It is nice that he wasn't overly pushed in the trailer.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I think whether or not you like the movie, Only God Forgives' soundtrack is still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs

I mean come on.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I'm really really excited for this, and the polarizing reviews are just building it up even more.

grahf987
May 11, 2009
Thank you for the suggestions. Enjoying them so far. I do like Only God Forgives even though I think it is a pretty "floaty" experience.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Woo, just copped tickets to the NYC premiere with a NWR Q&A next week.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

grahf987 posted:

Check out his soundtrack for Solaris. One of my all-time favorites.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

grahf987 posted:

Thank you for the suggestions. Enjoying them so far. I do like Only God Forgives even though I think it is a pretty "floaty" experience.

You won't be disapointed in Neon Demon then, movie made me wish for OGF's thrilling story and engaging dialogue.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
So is this coming a weak late to the states or something? I just saw it and it's not like I went to the premiere.

I loved it. But then I'm biased towards Refn.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just got passes for a screening on Monday. I loved Drive but didn't really like Only God Forgives.

Hoping I'll like this one.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

trip9 posted:

Woo, just copped tickets to the NYC premiere with a NWR Q&A next week.

Where did you find these?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
My stupid loving school is sending me free passes to see it along with a Q&A with Refn, but I'm halfway across the country on summer break.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

Where did you find these?

http://www.bam.org/film/2016/the-neon-demon

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I've loved all of Refn's films, even Fear X. I will watch this.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
so did anyone enjoy this at all or what is going on with this thread

pretty disturbing movie, way more enjoyable than only god forgives which i liked quite a bit

really fun ride when it's not creepy and pervy
also some nice :catdrugs: visuals

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Are they still doing a VOD release of this later/next month? I want to see this as soon as it hits theaters and then I want to play it on a loop at home 24 hours a day while I smoke far too much Indica-dominant weed and pass out to pretty colors and Cliff Martinez.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i wouldn't be able to handle the necrophilia and rape high, but go for it dude

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Is this getting a wide release in the US?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I just got passes for a screening on Monday. I loved Drive but didn't really like Only God Forgives.

Hoping I'll like this one.
Saw it earlier tonight. Most of the people in the theater were freeloaders who just wanted to see a free movie and had audible reactions like plebeian scum.

I liked it a LOT more than Only God Forgives. Very excellent.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

I liked it up until the point where you can tell they ditched the script and started making it up as they went along. I wondered where they were he was going, and it turns out nowhere.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone go check your local movie times. I just checked mine and the theater I work at is getting it, and we're in a college town that doesn't get limited release movies right away, you'll probably have a theater in town that is showing it as well.

I'm going to see it Thursday night. gently caress yeah, neon and blood!

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Huh. The nearby dead mall is getting it. I know what I'm doing Friday night.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On my way to the free Alamo Drafthouse screening. I'm excited!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jivjov posted:

On my way to the free Alamo Drafthouse screening. I'm excited!

Would you say the excitement is nigh unbearable?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

Would you say the excitement is nigh unbearable?

i deserve this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This movie is real good. Much better than Only God Forgives, and probably Refn's best overall.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved Drive/Only God Forgives/Valhalla Rising even if people really loved or intensely hated Only God Forgives. Aware this movie will probably be just as polarizing but excited to see it at my local indie cinema. I don't understand poo poo about what this is and the trailer is just nuts so I'm really going in blind.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Only God Forgives holds a unique place for me in being the film I have held the most conflicting feelings about while watching. About 10 times during the film I went from 'this is pretty but basically awful' to 'this is fantastic what was I thinking'. I was at one point very close to walking out and I've never walked out on a film ever. By the end of the film I was exhausted but glad for the ride.

I then watched Drive drunk on the hype but didn't really like it.

This looks much more up my street, waiting on hearing the reviews.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Fat Turkey posted:

This looks much more up my street, waiting on hearing the reviews.

Looks like it's definitely gonna be a love it or hate it film.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_neon_demon/

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some movies are just polarizing. I don't really care for Terence Malick films, but I understand why people do. I can't wait for this. I still have not seen Pusher. (I watched the remake that wasn't Refn and was confused cause it didn't feel like NWR)

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Just got back from seeing this with my sister. I loved it, she HATED it. I think this is better than Only God Forgives and way better than Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Can someone explain what happened with Ruby at the end? Was that like some kind of metaphorical childbirth?

• Locked thread