Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah, I thought the entire film highlighted just how toxic the male gaze was, how it twisted and warped and destroyed things. That was kind of the cheeky irony of making it about lesbian vampire models: the real dark poo poo was the men making it all possible.

I thought this too; I mean, the male characters in the film (sans Keanu) are those who are in control of framing the representation of the females and its distribution into the wider world. The men are literally the gatekeepers of the perception of beauty within the world of the film, and the attendant infighting of the women within that space is the only place where the women get to exercise any agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Christina Hendricks' character seems to have more power than anyone else, but she's kind of a non-entity outside of her one scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Christina Hendricks' character seems to have more power than anyone else, but she's kind of a non-entity outside of her one scene.

I think her character looms over the film as its only mother figure.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jezebel's Bobby Finger

gently caress The Neon Demon

quote:

While sitting uncomfortably in the front row of a screening room earlier this week, I spent the time between my squirms and groans dreaming of bolting from the theater to find an idling DeLorean waiting for me on the street, ready to travel back in time convince director Nicolas Winding Refn to abandon The Neon Demon. Instead, I’ll forever be burdened with its memory.

The film, out today, opens with its star, Elle Fanning, covered in blood and draped on a couch. Is the blood real or fake? Is this a murder scene or a photo shoot? Though I eventually came to believe it was the latter on both counts, something to know about The Neon Demon (specifically Refn, who also wrote the script) is that I don’t think it wants the audience to choose. The blood? It’s both real and fake, when you think about it. And isn’t every photo shoot just murdering... the soul? This film doesn’t just want to have it both ways, it wants to have it every way. It wants to condemn narcissism as well as celebrate it. It wants to expose out the horrors of the fashion industry, but it also thinks those horrors are sort of sexy. And, worst of all, it thinks it can get away with its own contradictions by telling us we’re missing the point. And maybe I am! But I couldn’t possibly begin to care.

Would you like to know what this movie is about? If you plan on seeing The Neon Demon and prefer to be surprised, skip this paragraph. If not, I’ll explain it quickly, as there isn’t much to it. There is a 16-year-old girl, Jesse (Fanning), who moves to LA with the dream of becoming a model. After befriending a friendly-seeming makeup artist named Ruby (Jena Malone), an agent (Christina Hendricks) signs her immediately, two older models (Bella Heathcote and Abbey Lee) become jealous of her, a mountain lion (mountain lion) tries to kill her, two people (one of whom is Keanu Reeves) attempt to rape her, and then Ruby fucks a corpse. Oh, I almost forgot the cannibalism. There’s cannibalism too.

Though I’m generally a fan of horror films (that’s how Refn describes this one), I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy The Neon Demon’s particular brand of depravity. Regardless of your message (or whether or not you think brutality against children can be art), I will never in my life find it entertaining or defensible to watch a rapist—even a fictional one—force a 16-year-old girl to deep throat a knife. I will never laugh at a movie’s sole homosexual character revealing herself to be an amoral psychopath. I will never find it intellectually stimulating for a man to condemn women who are obsessed with beauty.

But perhaps I’m being unfair. Based on interviews with the film’s leads, the shoot appeared to be one of total comfort and respect. Fanning said she “trusted Nick right away, from the moment [they] met.” Lee has also praised Refn, who has a teenage daughter, saying he “was really open about having a discussion about certain elements in the film and seeing how we can make them more realistic and true to the industry.” Even Refn’s wife, to whom the film is dedicated, gave Refn her approval.

He told me that himself on Wednesday morning in the penthouse of the NoMo SoHo hotel. My initial post-viewing rage had subsided after discovering Refn co-wrote the screenplay with two women (Mary Laws and Polly Stenham) and hired a woman (Natasha Braier) as the film’s cinematographer, so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

“To have a woman behind the camera felt very essential to the act of getting a woman’s perspective,” I said as he paced around the room. “Did that help with the comfort level?”

“I think so. I think so. The more women there was around, the more there was a kind of... natural,” he said, before pausing to find a new direction for his response. “I was the only guy in the wasp’s nest, but I enjoyed that.”
After that response—that suggestion that women are a temperamental, sexy nuisance—and the grin that accompanied it, I decided to to end our chat by revisiting a comment he made at the start of the interview—one I initially decided to disregard. “Earlier you said all men have a fantasy of being teenage girls. Do you still have that fantasy?”

“I’ve lived it out. It’s out of me,” he said.

“Why do you think men do have that fantasy? Because I personally don’t.”

“I think that the more masculine you want to become, the more feminine you need to be.” I don’t know what he meant by that, but I could tell he thought it sounded good. Refn openly welcomes the controversy surrounding The Neon Demon, but like that statement, it’s all style, and and an inflated sense of substance.

I hated every godawful second of it.

http://themuse.jezebel.com/gently caress-the-neon-demon-1782564674

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

quote:

It’s both real and fake, when you think about it. And isn’t every photo shoot just murdering... the soul?
Does Jezebel hire 14 year olds to write movie reviews now?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm sorta ok with this being just Male Gaze Is Evil: The Movie, I just wish Refn did more with that. It's so boringly simple and it brings nothing new to the table (what?? the unrealistic expectations men force upon women creates a toxic environment?? no way!!!). It's not even a particularly nasty depiction of bitchy women or LA debauchery, which would at least be provocative.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
This doesn't appear to be playing anywhere near me, does anyone know if this will end up streaming or on demand quickly like Only God Forgives? I have mixed feelings on Wefn's work as a whole, but his distinctive style usually warrants a viewing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Hulkster's legdrop can't come fast enough

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A weird man made this movie so everything should be interpreted as very sexist, oh wait lots of women were involved, better give it the benefit of the doubt then, no wait the guy says weird things so the movie sucks cause its sexist - a presumably paid reviewer of movies

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Peter Travers called it "a special kind of awful" which is a pretty glowing endorsement if you ask me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

A weird man made this movie so everything should be interpreted as very sexist, oh wait lots of women were involved, better give it the benefit of the doubt then, no wait the guy says weird things so the movie sucks cause its sexist - a presumably paid reviewer of movies
Drive was Refn's most commercially successful and accessible film. Maybe this film just needed an indie-pop song playing over the credits that was on-the-nose to the point of being incredibly cheesy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Drive was Refn's most commercially successful and accessible film. Maybe this film just needed an indie-pop song playing over the credits that was on-the-nose to the point of being incredibly cheesy.

it was accessible presumably because Refn directed and didn't write it. He's stronger at directing poo poo than handling the writing. I liked Only God Forgives but it's wildly divisive with most people.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The point about Drive not being written by Refn is bang on. Refn's aestheticism is best when shackled by some semblance of a conventional structure (Bronson, Drive).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The theater I saw this at dropped it from four or five showings a day to one in the first week.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Unmature posted:

The theater I saw this at dropped it from four or five showings a day to one in the first week.

The theater I saw it at dropped it completely after a week lol, gonna try to snag a poster

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
At least it's playing near you guys :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Only God Forgives is completely captivating because you're really trying to figure out the characters, what motivates them, how they relate to each other, what they'll decide to do. And the films stylistic choices, like the emphasis on close-ups and juxtaposition of vivid colors, support the drama of the characters' inner lives.

The Neon Demon is an incredibly similar film, except with the characters all flattened out. I think maybe the idea was to have characterization be secondary to an exploration/commentary/satire of social and gender issues, but it doesn't quite work.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 2, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

A weird man made this movie so everything should be interpreted as very sexist, oh wait lots of women were involved,

It reads to me like this was as far as he got before his tires started spinning in the mud.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
It blows my mind how some of these reviewers have jobs at respectable papers. Seriously, I don't understand how you go about having that large of a platform to speak from and when you're so shallow. These fuckers all have English degrees mostly I'm guessing?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The funny thing is, this probably works the best on a mainstream level out of anything Refn's done other than Drive. The plot is pretty easy to grok: basically, it's a Twilight Zone episode stretched out to 2 hours. Jesse gets on the modeling ship thinking "to serve man" is a textbook, and then finds out that it's actually a cookbook just narrowly too late.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The characters in Drive are a lot more interesting and worth following. So I don't agree it's more accessible.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
A lot of people missed the point of the Driver's character too

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even taking him out you still have Bryan Cranston, Carey Mulligan, Oscar Issacs and of course Albert Brooks who are all incredibly interesting and worth following.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I must be face blind, I thought the girl who stabs herself at the end was Elle Fanning. I was very confused.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I must be face blind, I thought the girl who stabs herself at the end was Elle Fanning. I was very confused.

I didn't think it was her, but I also totally missed that it was one of the women who killed Jesse because I forgot what she looked like. It wasn't until the woman said "I need to get her out of me" that I even realized who she was.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
What the gently caress is it with goons and movie faceblindness

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It's not my fault all skinny blonde girls look the same

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought that was the point that they all looked the same

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They stole her face

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's not my fault all skinny blonde girls look the same

The only one (besides Elle Fanning) that I recognized throughout the movie was Sarah because her face is so distinct. I also kept wondering who she reminded me of and I just found out now that she was in Mad Max: Fury Road.

But Gigi was such a generic blonde that I couldn't remember what she looked like when she wasn't on camera.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Plus they were both wearing identical boxer braids, sunglasses, and dark lipstick, which made it even more confusing

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I would have thought Bella Heathcote had a pretty distinctive face, but apparently not.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Even taking him out you still have Bryan Cranston, Carey Mulligan, Oscar Issacs and of course Albert Brooks who are all incredibly interesting and worth following.

Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you, the character writing in Drive was absolutely stronger (probably because it wasn't Refn). I was just thinking of those silly reviews and remembering how people viewed the Driver and his jacket

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought they did a phenomenal job of picking three girls with the same basic look that look completely different.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Ruby, Dean, Sarah, the motel owner, and the fashion designer all own though

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought they did a phenomenal job of picking three girls with the same basic look that look completely different.

From each other, yeah, but Gigi at least was... forgettable? I can't speak for other people with face blindness, but I didn't mistake Gigi for any other previously-introduced character at the end. I just thought she was a totally new character. What especially threw me was when Sarah says that she ate the last girl or whatever and Gigi looks at her with this horrified and shocked expression.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It really baffles me how terrible goons can be at watching movies. I'm pretty bad and even I never confused any of the characters.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You wanna hear something really embarrassing? I thought the girl in the final scene who replaced the other model was Ruby, so invigorated by the cannibalism that she could outshine any barely-twenty model. Made perfect thematic sense to me until I realized it's the same actress as before. And redhead Jena Malone is my waifu anyways.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
There are like 6 characters in this movie, how can you possibly mix them up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The Neon Demon

1.50 oz. Marie Brizard anisette
1.00 oz. Flor de Cana Extra Secco
0.50 oz. lime juice
0.25 oz. grenadine

Garnish with blueberries.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

And redhead Jena Malone is my waifu anyways.
I will fight you.

• Locked thread