Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I did not particularly enjoy watching this film, but I did like it. It functions well as a misanthropic fable.

Easily my least favorite Refn film, though. There wasn't much to any of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

What I really want now is a Pusher-style film about Keanu's character.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Only God Forgives is completely captivating because you're really trying to figure out the characters, what motivates them, how they relate to each other, what they'll decide to do. And the films stylistic choices, like the emphasis on close-ups and juxtaposition of vivid colors, support the drama of the characters' inner lives.

The Neon Demon is an incredibly similar film, except with the characters all flattened out. I think maybe the idea was to have characterization be secondary to an exploration/commentary/satire of social and gender issues, but it doesn't quite work.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 2, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I feel like Lars Von Trier is a more apt point of comparison for this film than Snyder or Tarantino.

• Locked thread