Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Keanu Reeves assaults the 13 yr old next door .

I got to thinking about that part after watching it today, and I thought that there was a possibility that that wasn't actually Keanu assaulting her, it was the photographer that Jesse snubbed earlier.

Yes, we see Keanu assaulting Jesse in a dream just before that but in the dream he quietly unlocks the door with the key he has. Compare that to how it occurs in reality, the intruder struggles with just the lock on the knob, and then Jesse goes to latch the deadbolt which was not latched. If it were Keanu, then he'd have quietly unlocked the non-deadbolted door or at least tried his key first before struggling with the doorknob.

It wasn't necessarily the photographer but I don't think it was Keanu either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

As seen earlier in the film, he's really, really bad at opening doors.

Yeah, you're right. The fact that it's that door in particular giving him problems would suggest that it's him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I must be face blind, I thought the girl who stabs herself at the end was Elle Fanning. I was very confused.

I didn't think it was her, but I also totally missed that it was one of the women who killed Jesse because I forgot what she looked like. It wasn't until the woman said "I need to get her out of me" that I even realized who she was.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's not my fault all skinny blonde girls look the same

The only one (besides Elle Fanning) that I recognized throughout the movie was Sarah because her face is so distinct. I also kept wondering who she reminded me of and I just found out now that she was in Mad Max: Fury Road.

But Gigi was such a generic blonde that I couldn't remember what she looked like when she wasn't on camera.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought they did a phenomenal job of picking three girls with the same basic look that look completely different.

From each other, yeah, but Gigi at least was... forgettable? I can't speak for other people with face blindness, but I didn't mistake Gigi for any other previously-introduced character at the end. I just thought she was a totally new character. What especially threw me was when Sarah says that she ate the last girl or whatever and Gigi looks at her with this horrified and shocked expression.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

What if they also have a Ray Wise collection next to it

Ray Wise legit rules though, and I could see myself having a special Ray Wise section of nothing but movies where he has a small walk-on cameo.

But that would require me to buy some really lovely movies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Glad to see another movie where the lesbian is a psycho rapist.

Hey let's not forget the necrophilia, that's a new angle!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I feel like Lars Von Trier is a more apt point of comparison for this film than Snyder or Tarantino.

Well it's good then that Von Trier is also mentioned in the article as a point of comparison. The "Zack Snyder" remark was just saying that Refn was a bit of a Dudebro.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

The notion that Bay and Snyder are dudebros who tripped over their own dicks into their careers is most dimwitted meme in film fandom. I take it as a red flag that a critic shouldn't be taken seriously. And I say this as someone who would rather take a punch to the face than watch Transformers 2 again.

Did you read the article? Her comment about Zack Snyder was facetious, it didn't go into any detail about Snyder or condemn or dismiss his career in any way.

I personally don't like Snyder at all but I won't deny that he has some talent.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

It's almost comical to me that as soon as Jessie triumphantly establishes herself as "dangerous" she's killed and eaten

I was a little let down that I was wrong in my prediction that Jesse would turn out to actually be dangerous, like I thought when she mentioned her parents both being dead early on that she maybe killed them and robbed them to run away to LA to be a model. And the twist at the end would be that she'd be the one who would ultimately have to kill the predatory models who envy her in order to become the next big model. I thought her sweet innocent girl attitude was an act.

But I guess that would be an ending for a straightforward narrative movie, like something more akin to Drive.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I liked what they did with Under the Skin, but I read the book prior to the movie and I also kind of still want a straightforward narrative movie based on the text of the book. Because it's good sci-fi drama.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Also ruby thinking about a cute 16 year old while she kisses a corpse is so absurd you can't help but laugh

I laughed, my friend laughed, but I don't think that either one of us thought it was "funny" it was more like we were laughing at how absolutely uncomfortable it was. And not in the intended way, more like the "Winding Refn seems to be trying way too hard" way.

I don't know, I'll give it another watch when it comes out on blu ray but I'm still of two minds about it. I didn't totally hate it but I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. And no, I was not expecting another Drive, I was just expecting something more from it than what I got.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That is pretty weird, now that you mention it. Maybe that's why it's gotta be seen.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vakal posted:

At least we can all agree that Keanu Reeves plays a convincing poo poo bag.

While I'm loathe to recommend an Eli Roth movie, Knock Knock is pretty great if you want more Keanu being a sleazebag.

"It was free pizza! Free fuckin' pizza!"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

We don't know anything for certain about what happened in the next room. For all we know, Ruby hosed a mountain lion in there.

Hey now, we all know that Ruby and the mountain lion are one and the same. The real question is, was it Ruby in mountain lion form loving Dean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Thanks to this deleted scene, the argument about who was really trying to get into Jesse's room can finally be laid to rest: (linked for huge) http://imgur.com/B5aG2S5

• Locked thread