Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This is a great first two acts of a movie, but I was disappointed by how small and unambitious the ending was. I was expecting something like Society, where all the pieces come together and it goes over the edge, but it took a weirdly safe route. The fairy tale tone is terrific, though, and the soundtrack just beats all, but the story is so plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
No, but who cares, that happens all the time in horror movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Three older women killing a new girl and eating her/bathing in her blood to acquire her youthful essence is like, the stock standard witch story.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
In a deleted scene, we see them signing a form with the Neon Demon, thus qualifying them legally in the state of Dream California that they are, indeed, registered witches and not fake witches.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm sorta ok with this being just Male Gaze Is Evil: The Movie, I just wish Refn did more with that. It's so boringly simple and it brings nothing new to the table (what?? the unrealistic expectations men force upon women creates a toxic environment?? no way!!!). It's not even a particularly nasty depiction of bitchy women or LA debauchery, which would at least be provocative.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

GonSmithe posted:

There are like 6 characters in this movie, how can you possibly mix them up?

White girls with lots of makeup look the same?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

You're meant to categorize movies by lead actor/actress hair color.

By foot size, surely.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

eats-almonds posted:

Also, I don't think it's been talked about at all, what was up with the MOUNTAIN LION?

It's a jungle and people are animals but which ones??? ohhhhh shitt

that's deep af

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Glad to see another movie where the lesbian is a psycho rapist.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The door represents her vagina.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I feel like Lars Von Trier is a more apt point of comparison for this film than Snyder or Tarantino.

I wish this were written by Lars von Trier.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Paragon8 posted:

It's almost comical to me that as soon as Jessie triumphantly establishes herself as "dangerous" she's killed and eaten

I thought this was a huge letdown, but I think I was also expecting the movie to be more than a simplistic fairy tale.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vakal posted:

Producer: "Hey Refn, I hear you have a great idea for a new movie".

Refn: "You bet I do. Do you know the saying of how the fashion industry eats young talent alive? Well I want to do that, but with fashion models literally eating a young girl."

Producer: "I guess that's pretty unique. So are they like vampires or something?"

Refn: "No, they are just normal women who eat people. And after that, one of them will have an explosive menstruation on screen."

Producer: " Wait, what? Why would anyone in their right mind want to see that?"

Refn: "Because the female menses is mystical and magical, and can't be explain by man and his modern science!"

Producer: "I'm pretty sure that's not how..."

Refn: "And I'm also going to need a mountain lion."

Producer: "...."

Refn: "And get me Keanu Reeves to play a huge pervert. Trust me, it will all work out in the end."

God, I hated this movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't dislike it because it's by a dude and that "said dude" is Refn, I dislike it because it's half of a movie, and it's too chicken to actually be daring.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The half, or perhaps two-thirds, that puts a bunch of pieces in place and builds to what should've been the set-up to the climax, and then ends with a crappy punch-line.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Eh. It's just such an underwhelming non-climax, and Refn doesn't give the narrative enough meat to carry it off.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think I was just expecting more of a triumphant giallo climax, like she'd claw her way out of the model's body wearing some fabulous outfit made of tissue and gore and follow the neon demon into fashion hell or something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vince MechMahon posted:

The thing I love most about the film is it leaves things so totally open for interpretation. I'm just going to spoiler wall this whole thing, so don't read it if you haven't seen the movie, I guess:

Like yes, you could say that the film is nothing but a metaphor for the fashion industry "eating young girls alive." But there's just as much evidence that no, Ruby at the very least is a real rear end vampire, which is why she lives in a gothic mansion above a mortuary, fucks corpses, lies around in graves, bathes in blood, and has an explosive period while writhing naked under a full moon. To add to this, for Sarah at least, devouring Jesse does in fact transfer her "powers" to her. She goes from being a self described ghost to being seen from yards away when the photographer has the same reaction to her that he did Jesse before.

But on top of this there's other smaller things. First off, there's not a single person in this movie who could be considered a good person, except for Dean who, trying to bang a 16 year old aside, is at the very least a reasonable, normal human being. Or is he? We have the dream scene when Jesse arrives home from the fashion show where she dreams about Keanu shoving a knife down her throat, and then hear someone try to get into her room and then rape the 13 year old in room 214. But we never see Keanu, and Dean is also there, also knows about room 214, and has been rejected by Jesse immediately before the dream scene. The next scene in the film is where we are shown that the only other good person in the film up to this point, Ruby, is a rapist necrophiliac and possibly a literal vampire. I don't think it's coincidence that we're never shown who's in room 214, and that's the next scene, but again it's open to interpretation and there's no right or wrong answer. And the movie is full of that poo poo and it's great.

Everything that happens in the movie literally happens in the movie. Why wouldn't it? That'd be like saying the violence in The Shining is only metaphorical.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yes, I would agree that part definitely happens. The parts I'm less sold on being real within the context of the film are what comes after that.

why wouldn't it have happened

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Because they reek of being the same kind of showing what the character is feeling in a way that isn't literal that they've already done once before in the film, during the runway sequence.

They don't, but ok.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vince MechMahon posted:

You're not having an actual discussion here, you're giving monosyllabic non rebuttals and your entire argument is "the only correct way to watch film is literalism," which is an insanely narrow view of the art form. So you can go on believing that the runway show literally, in the context of the film, consisted of her seeing a magic triangle in which her doppelganger appeared and possessed her, and be happy that way if you so choose. No skin off my back, like I said earlier, agree to disagree.

I mean, whatever.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The runway scene was magnificent, easily one one the best parts of the movie. I was really hoping there'd be more of a payoff from that, or at least that it would feature in the climax. The big triangle was spooky.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
lmao

I think it makes an interesting fairy tale in which everything that happens in it actually happens, because I enjoy whimsy and magic, and I think it's way more fun to watch it as a movie in which the fantasy is diagetic because it allows the thematic elements to overlay the fantasy, rather than the fantasy be a separate thing that represents itself and not the plot, which feels restrictive.

edit: that is to say, nothing the "fantasy as fantasy" sequences tell us we don't learn if we watch it as if it literally happens in the world of the film. you can watch it like that but idk what dimension it adds.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 4, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

the_homemaster posted:

I can't believe this is a real post by a real person. Christ.

IDK, that's pretty straightforward.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

These are all good comparisons, and you're right, but I think the main difference is that Black Swan was very predictable both in what imagery would appear and how the narrative would go. If someone told me they predicted all the beats and the ending of this movie, I'd think they were lying.

"Fashion girl ironically gets literally eaten by competitors" isn't the biggest leap to make in a movie full of predatory imagery and actual vampires/lifesuckers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Groovelord Neato posted:

anyone else think it was an elizabeth bathory thing until the occult tats and cannibalism were revealed?

Oh, no, yeah, I was totally expecting it to go in a Walerian Borowczyk direction, but instead it was tame as gently caress.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FourLeaf posted:

The more I think about this movie, the more I think about the various articles saying Refn only wrote movies about men and masculinity and masculine violence (IIRC there was a thread on these forums talking about this exact topic) and thinking maybe Refn saw that and said "gently caress you, I can write women too," and then we got The Neon Demon. Like some kind of twisted dare.

*a finger on the monkey's paw curls up*

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That's basically the movie (they are, indeed, actual vampires). The ending as far as i remember was that she couldn't handle Elle Fanning's pure unbusted-vagina beauty inside her wretched bitchy fake non-beautiful body. Something something male gaze, LA is a jungle, you'll get eaten alive, etc etc.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There were some really good scenes that would function in a David Lynch film (the catwalk tryout) but Refn is such a huge wimp that he can't live up to the promise of real violence or outright campiness, and instead settles on the subdued, tasteful version.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Super Fan posted:

The Neon Demon is both campy and violent. Your complaints about this movie are limp and uninteresting. Go away.

No, i'm going to stay here and furiously masturbate.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Super Fan posted:

I want you to vividly describe your masturbation session. It can't be as bad as you posting about movies.

Depends on how many Arby's Beef 'n' Cheddars I've had.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Super Fan posted:

You're no long reiterating the same point over and over again. You're making some progress Magic Hate Ball!

here i go

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
shut up it's time for arbys

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Hey, Spring Breakers is excellent.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
something something gilding a lily

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
She's a beautiful perfect model and he's pouring gold on her. She is her own perfection, she doesn't need a dude pouring his own vision on her. She's as perfect as the stark triangle she sees on the catwalk. It's just a connective image. It also looks neat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, but not on the more mythical levell, it's only because of her fatal flaw (her need to be seen) that he and her audience are necessary. What's the point of being perfect if nobody notices? It's standard witchy fairytale stuff.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

KVeezy3 posted:

This is a very uninteresting take and really did not need to be expressed. Humans are social creatures and it's part of our survival instinct to want to be desired.

That's literally half the plot of the movie, that she's mythically perfect.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

KVeezy3 posted:

Yes, and her desire to use her beauty is part of it. Is Michael Jordan flawed because he required an audience for his talents to soar?

Well, no, but this is also a movie about the fashion industry, and about beauty, and the need to be looked at. Theoretically she could go live in a hole in the ground and revel in her own beauty but it feels good to weld that power and make other people see it. I like that aspect of the script, it feels like something out of a greek tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

KVeezy3 posted:

It's not really about the fashion industry, the industry is just used as a backdrop to be able to speak about beauty in explicit terms.

hmm

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, no, but this is also a movie about the fashion industry, and about beauty, and the need to be looked at.

KVeezy3 posted:

No, theoretically she can't live in a hole in the ground. Who are all these people that can supposedly do this? What writer only writes books and then buries them in the ground?

None (except maybe Adam and Eve pre-apple), that's why I said "theoretically". It's as much about beauty as it is about what beauty can do, and it's her human needs (audience, help, friendship) that betray her.

• Locked thread