Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved Drive/Only God Forgives/Valhalla Rising even if people really loved or intensely hated Only God Forgives. Aware this movie will probably be just as polarizing but excited to see it at my local indie cinema. I don't understand poo poo about what this is and the trailer is just nuts so I'm really going in blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I liked Drive and Only God Forgives a bit more but still enjoyed the film. I like how it dips into weird pseudo witchcraft and the soundtrack is fantastic. Could have used a little more meat to it but I did ultimately like it. My girlfriend however did not feel the same and she loving hated watching this more than any movie we went to in 5 years, legit walked out then walked back in after Keanu Reeves assaults the 13 yr old next door .

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Am I the only one who took the mentions of her parents being non-entities and Jessie talking about how her mother said she was dangerous as a potential build-up to Jessie being some sinister person the whole time, and maybe revealing she killed her own parents? Maybe it was only because of how quickly she made the turn to The Demon side and how she had those weird precognitions but I thought right up til the climax that we'd have a reveal that there was something not quite right about her, even beforehand.

The ending was alright but I was left feeling deflated at how stupid Jessie was, acting like an rear end in a top hat after the pool scene and then just getting hosed up for it. She treated the others like poo poo but never expected vengeance for it?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THORIUM posted:

Still not sure why everyone is so sold on witchcraft having to do with anything here? Did they light a bunch of candles and make a ritualistic sacrifice? No. They just ate the girl.

it's easier to say witches rather than "just plain weirdos who do elizabeth bathory poo poo and have strange tats and worship the moon." when I think witchcraft in this movie it has more to do with the "cult" of beauty and desire stemming up than anything, though things do take on a more surreal light at the tail end.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that's not the best written review ever but I can understand why people would be upset at this movie if the director said it was "beyond feminist" because lol at that designation. "Men are just the boyfriends" is a hollow line especially once the girl in the motel gets assaulted after the dream about Keanu Reeves. If anything it shows that both sexes are equally dangerous to Jessie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Drive was Refn's most commercially successful and accessible film. Maybe this film just needed an indie-pop song playing over the credits that was on-the-nose to the point of being incredibly cheesy.

it was accessible presumably because Refn directed and didn't write it. He's stronger at directing poo poo than handling the writing. I liked Only God Forgives but it's wildly divisive with most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vakal posted:

At least we can all agree that Keanu Reeves plays a convincing poo poo bag.

not really tough to achieve this when your character is scripted to go rape a 13-yr-old

• Locked thread