Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016
I saw this the other night and because no one was going to see it, they threw it up in theatre 7 with the broken bass speaker, ugh.

I haven't yet seen any of Refn's other movies, I have a real bad habit of never seeing movies with a lot of hype.

Reading this thread did help me with the catwalk scene, which kinda went over my head, and does sort of help put into perspective the weird pacing when Jessie becomes mean, the scene could have definitely conveyed a passage of time, as well as the change in Jessie

I also didn't think I was going to like this because I have a hard time liking movies when characters aren't relatable, and I don't relate to the fashion world AT ALL. But I can tell I'm growing out of that, it offered alot of good stuff on beauty and how it relates to purity. Maybe a bit heavy handed but still, real nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016

THORIUM posted:

So I don't think the following reviewer would like that alt title I mentioned, "Cunts: The Movie."

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/25/12024924/neon-demon-review-refn-necrophilia-scene

This entire review absolutely slays me. She is so so very angry, and she doesn't understand the film at all -- only superficially (hint hint).

I don't agree that this film is beyond feminist, or at least I'm confused by what that means... But ya this person is kind of a dumb dumb. If it was actually Refn's intention to paint all women with the same brush of narcissism and whatnot then, yes, he is a douche bag. But I'm very sure that's not the case, and I'm very sure the person misread the film. Its sort of confusing to me that people confuse media or art that contains sexist content as sexist itself. We live in a sexist world, and it only makes sense that it would be reflected in our media and art.

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016

Looper posted:

Face blindness is a serious issue and I wish nothing but the best for you all

when I saw Inherent Vice I thought Joaquin Phoenix was Leonard from Big Bang Theory. Very embarrassing.

Also, I don't think it's been talked about at all, what was up with the MOUNTAIN LION?

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

This was a good read:

I'm a feminist, and I loved The Neon Demon
http://www.gradient.is/features/the-neon-demon/

This is a great article, not just because it's a bit contrary but actually well researched. All the articles I read condemning the movie really didn't scrape past the surface,but if any one knows of an anti Neon Demon article as well researched as this, I'd like to read it.

• Locked thread