Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
does anyone know a sociology? im taking a class starting tomorrow on it is it cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I think i met a sociology once it was nice but kept finding roundabout ways of asking me about my cultural ways :shrug:

Piso Mojado

sociology is the science of making broad assumptions about human systems from studying only college students who sign up ro be in sociology studies.

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
i wish sociology was psycho history, which I do believe will some day be possible, though never perfectly accurate

Robot Made of Meat

I'm p sure the cool kids call it "sosh."

I'm also p sure the cool kids are assholes.

Woah! just ran into an unexpected SA text replacement! The more you know, I guess.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Macnult

intro to sociology is a great class to take if you want to get into binge-watching Netflix documentaries.

alnilam

that's so ciology

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

sociology: the hardest most concrete science around

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

December Octopodes posted:

i wish sociology was psycho history, which I do believe will some day be possible, though never perfectly accurate

I've been listening to foundation while I paint. It's a great story :)

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
I've heard that anthro majors and sociology majors do NOT get along

Can someone explain the difference to me

Harime Nui

The New Insincerity
Sociology is basically a garbo discipline that ruined the social sciences but that's just me, right?

treasure bear

The gulf between hard neuroscience and psychology and sociology is so huge.

most erotic flower

aww yiss
motha
fuckin
titties
sociology classes are fun but they are not practical

Ace of Baes
im just taking it to fufilll an upper division writing elective lol, its like behavioral research in sociology/criminology or something like that

alnilam

oh

FutonForensic

my sociology classes, in a nutshell, were "hey street crime has nothing to do with race, uhhh watch this john oliver video for the rest of class"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

HighwireAct posted:

I've heard that anthro majors and sociology majors do NOT get along

Can someone explain the difference to me

sociology looks at only the past few generations and tries to predict/analyze human behavior while ignoring almost all of human history before their narrow present day scope

anthropology is the study of humans and includes everything from prehistory to present day in an attempt to better understand human behavior, culture and society (:ssh: yes i was an anthro major)

Anoia

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I took a sociology course way back when (before the yob even existed :corsair:) and the professor mostly just gave us handouts detailing what would be on the test and then spent every class telling us about her world adventures in stdh making friends with "primitive tribes" of the world

she was your text book insufferable white lady

the worst part was she took attendance so no one could just skip out on her talking about how worldly she was for an hour out a stretch every day

Ace of Baes
had my first class today, the professor spent 20 minutes talking about how hard the class is and saying how non soc/cj majors shouldnt take it...
then she told me ill be fine because im old and have a kid????
idk im gonna take it anyway though yolo

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Ace of Baes posted:

had my first class today, the professor spent 20 minutes talking about how hard the class is and saying how non soc/cj majors shouldnt take it...

she thinks your wise and world weary and not young and starry eyed

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
sociology is a class of refuge for damaged gpas, changed majors, and broken dreams

MrWillsauce

you can study the demographic trend of sociology majors being jobless losers who live with their moms :boom:

Macnult

Ace of Baes posted:

a lot of the stuff is just common sense, or so some would say because they were able to attain prior knowledge somehow while others were not. it ain't fair but it's not something to be ashamed of. however, it's not right to assume that a lot of sociology is just common sense because of it.

it's a very easy class.

Ace of Baes
sociology is epic fail, stem for teh win

Sociology Major: Hmm, it says here in Dr. Goldsteinberg's book that Hitler is a bad man who killed lots of jews.

STEM Major: According to my Human Suffering Index algorithm *stem major does after image technique and simaltaneous starts hacking a laptop, drawing intersecting vertexes on a whiteboard and playing Battlefield 69* Hitler was actually a Great Guy, and never killed a single person. Maybe you'd know that if you weren't wasting your money getting a humanities degree.

Cory in the Blouse

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Ace of Baes posted:

does anyone know a sociology? im taking a class starting tomorrow on it is it cool

I had to take a SOC 101 class as an elective for my degree and I ended up just doing the entire last project for my group and telling the professor that nobody did poo poo and I wrote the whole thing. I think that experience thought me more about sociology than the actual class.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
It seems like you all went to bad colleges where you had incompetent professors and didn't learn anything.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
i learned a great deal, but it's value on paper is very low

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Ace of Baes posted:

sociology is epic fail, stem for teh win

Sociology Major: Hmm, it says here in Dr. Goldsteinberg's book that Hitler is a bad man who killed lots of jews.

STEM Major: According to my Human Suffering Index algorithm *stem major does after image technique and simaltaneous starts hacking a laptop, drawing intersecting vertexes on a whiteboard and playing Battlefield 69* Hitler was actually a Great Guy, and never killed a single person. Maybe you'd know that if you weren't wasting your money getting a humanities degree.

lmao

the whole STEM superiority complex is infuriating

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos
"STEM" is an incoherent grouping, as any sociologist would tell you.

----------------

Afro Doug

sociology major here.

the majority of your entry level classes will be discussing the various answers to questions like "what's up?". primarily you'll start with answers such as "not much" or "the sky" which are fairly self-explanatory but eventually you'll move on to responses like "chicken butt" which are much more advanced

big black turnout

Afro Doug posted:

sociology major here.

the majority of your entry level classes will be discussing the various answers to questions like "what's up?". primarily you'll start with answers such as "not much" or "the sky" which are fairly self-explanatory but eventually you'll move on to responses like "chicken butt" which are much more advanced

science can tell you the how, but sociology can tell you the why

chicken pot pie

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slugnoid

ive been a sociologist for years. I'm operating thetan level 3 already

Ace of Baes
update: the only other non soc dropped after the first class where the professor spent half the class everyone how incredibly hard it is

im pretty sure i have the best grade in the class (97%) and its pretty easy but then again i spent like 7 hours writing a paper today, i know a lot about feminism now though

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Ace of Baes posted:

update: the only other non soc dropped after the first class where the professor spent half the class everyone how incredibly hard it is

im pretty sure i have the best grade in the class (97%) and its pretty easy but then again i spent like 7 hours writing a paper today, i know a lot about feminism now though

Who's your favorite feminist?

----------------

Ace of Baes

misty mountaintop posted:

Who's your favorite feminist?

the blacks

alnilam

[counterstrike 1.6 announcer voice] feminists win

Ace of Baes
oh something else that is funny is theres a 22 year old girl in the class whos trying to take 14 credits in summer semester and worm part time and complains every class about there being too much homework

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

oh something else that is funny is theres a 22 year old girl in the class whos trying to take 14 credits in summer semester and worm part time and complains every class about there being too much homework

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Angela Davis? bell hooks? Sojourner Truth?

----------------

• Locked thread