Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

notZaar posted:

SUV sales would skyrocket, those polearms aren't going to fit in a Hyundai Fit.

They'll just start making spear racks a standard feature on sedans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Found a weirdo hiding in a barrel the other day, he told me he could teach me pyromancy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Putty posted:

Found a weirdo hiding in a barrel the other day, he told me he could teach me pyromancy.

did he tell you you had to "accept the spirit of the flame inside you"?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
yes i had to apply some cream to the inflicted area afterwards

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rakosi posted:

Hi guys im im this thread now too.

Have american armed forces ever historically used a halberd? Just curious

In the 18th and 19th century british and thereby also american militaries, halberds were traditional arms for sergeants, both as a symbol of rank but also for actual use, such as when part of a color guard defending the regimental standard

I think recently the army brought them back as some sort of retro throwbackt hing:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 13, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Everything about this picture perfectly sums up the American military.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

you shouldn't just shove a halberd into a mentally challenged kid's hand like that he could hurt someone smdh

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine an eight foot 50 cal with a halberd bayonet.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Helical Nightmares posted:

Ok. :colbert: what is this.

https://youtu.be/Mq8b2dLLMiQ

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i modded a laser sight and a scope onto my morning star so i'll never miss

come at me bitch

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

notZaar posted:

Pollaxes were relatively small - only around 5 feet - so those could probably fit in a smaller vehicle. You lose some of that reach advantage though.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

notZaar posted:

Use the sunroof brah.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Chomp8645 posted:

Everything about this picture perfectly sums up the American military.

I bet that halberd cost like $15,000 USD too.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lol at the tiny axe blade on that halberd. Who's he gonna chop with that?

You can tell that Halberd wasn't designed by the American military because if it was it would be 10ft long and have such a large axe and spike a fully grown man would struggle to carry it and it would cost a million dollars.

That said, if guns were banned gun companies could make "tactical halberds".

Telescopic poles, carbon fibre poles, carbon fibre blades (so it doesn't set off metal detectors), custom made rubberised grips, diamond cut blades, electrified spikes so you can speak someone and tazer them at the same time. Camo patterns of all sorts.

The options are endless, they would probably make more money than they do selling guns.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hell Yeah posted:

you shouldn't just shove a halberd into a mentally challenged kid's hand like that he could hurt someone smdh

I thought that was the whole point of the army, giving mentally challenged people access to guns and explosives.

:smug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rakosi posted:

Hi guys im im this thread now too.

Have american armed forces ever historically used a halberd? Just curious

the US military made some great swords, but by 1776 polearms had been replaced by bayonets

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

Lol at the tiny axe blade on that halberd. Who's he gonna chop with that?

You can tell that Halberd wasn't designed by the American military because if it was it would be 10ft long and have such a large axe and spike a fully grown man would struggle to carry it and it would cost a million dollars.

That said, if guns were banned gun companies could make "tactical halberds".

Telescopic poles, carbon fibre poles, carbon fibre blades (so it doesn't set off metal detectors), custom made rubberised grips, diamond cut blades, electrified spikes so you can speak someone and tazer them at the same time. Camo patterns of all sorts.

The options are endless, they would probably make more money than they do selling guns.

A US Army halberd would be huge and heavy as gently caress because we have the biggest god drat soldiers in the world.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Reminded to work on my longbow muscles, which is basically the left forearm and bicep.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got a baseball bat but I'm going to upgrade to a proper mace once I figure out how to find one on google and not bring up a bunch of pepper spray.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
if you hammer a bunch of nails into a bat, that turns it into a powerful mace

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Not true, the halberd is the weapon of a lesser, a man-at-arms. I'll fight by tossing a sack of gold at some peon daintily while wearing a faggy ruffled blouse.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Remember: sticks and stones may break my bones, and a mace will surely kill me.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
Im going to fashion a suit of platemail out of those ceramic ballistic plates you slide into modern body armor, then ill halberd bitches until guns are obsolete

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Carbon fiber chainmail my friend, wear it through metal detectors.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Electric barbed wire whip.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

Im going to fashion a suit of platemail out of those ceramic ballistic plates you slide into modern body armor, then ill halberd bitches until guns are obsolete

Ceramics are brittle as hell you dumb hosed, may as well wear a suit of kittens.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
A mace but the head is an old-timey spiked naval mine

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
A spear but its actually my dick :smug:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They estimate that nearly 10% of enlisted soldiers have been raped by other soldiers.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

They estimate that nearly 10% of enlisted soldiers have been raped by other soldiers.

Russian soldiers stat is closer to 95% p sure

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

notZaar posted:

Imagine an eight foot 50 cal with a halberd bayonet.

I'm willing to bet this exists in the 40k universe.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

More like 2%. It's not rape if they enjoyed it.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
buying gf

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I dont think jeremiah 17:9 says that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rutibex posted:

the US military made some great swords, but by 1776 polearms had been replaced by bayonets

bayonets are actually kind of lovely for putting someone down. in ww1 people tended to use shovels to kill each other in the trenches.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

bayonets are actually kind of lovely for putting someone down. in ww1 people tended to use shovels to kill each other in the trenches.

I feel like that may have also been a function of the environment, a trench seems like a really awkward place to use what is effectively a long and poorly balanced spear that you need to thrust vs. a shovel/truncheon/club/axe

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ScratchAndSniff posted:

More like 2%. It's not rape if they enjoyed it.

Maybe I'm just stupid here but there's 200,000 enlisted and 20,000 have filed rape complaints which were internally suppressed. So that would be 10%.

Anyways they are probably having a hoot watching that guy chop wood with his fake halberd. 1 in 10 chance he'll be raped.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

Ceramics are brittle as hell you dumb hosed, may as well wear a suit of kittens.

no one will ever pierce my baby armor!

• Locked thread