Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have discarded my ion titan in favor of a legion

i am weak, but i feel so strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Legion is kinda like scorch. Initially seems slow and unwieldy. But when you hit a good pilot in one its a loving hard stop your dead

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The main strength of Legion is the power shots and core. Primary fire is serviceable but leaves you rather vulnerable, and the gun shield is even less useful than the Northstar tethers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Friends I got to get titanfall 2 with me aren't enjoying it very much, both find it a bit too fast paced and both don't like the titans very much and either get needled to death by players they don't know how to find or by calling them down in dumb spots and either getting blown up instantly or unable to get inside them before the dome falls, one hates the grunt mechanic and the other can't tell where he is being shot from or doesn't hear other people shooting at him.

I like the fast pace, but I myself find the titan combat to be very cooldown and reload dependent and just ducking into cover between cooldowns.

Are there any short and concise guides for new players to help them figure out what to do so they don't just get farmed by someone playing none-stop for 3 years and getting frustrated?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are there any short and concise guides for new players to help them figure out what to do so they don't just get farmed by someone playing none-stop for 3 years and getting frustrated?

The floor is lava.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Try to just stay alive and kill grunts.

Sounds like a no brainer, but trying to not get killed is very different than running around to kill other players. For the guy who gets killed and can’t tell where from - try suggesting he stay in close ranges like inside buildings and run the scan knife.

You can also try out the other game modes, I have friends who only play the titan brawl modes because they are great in a Titian but terrible on foot.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 28, 2019

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Been playing the single player over the Christmas break after hearing how great it was. All felt great but fairly predictable up until the level with the fabricated homes when things started to get pretty cool. Then effect and cause happened and... jesus christ

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you are a new player and keep losing titans to dumb spots
Dont call it in. Spawn in it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mainwaring posted:

Been playing the single player over the Christmas break after hearing how great it was. All felt great but fairly predictable up until the level with the fabricated homes when things started to get pretty cool. Then effect and cause happened and... jesus christ

Right!?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Explain networks to a new player and why the advocate network's happy hour is at 3 AM.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Explain networks to a new player and why the advocate network's happy hour is at 3 AM.

Networks are essentially clans. Idk why ADV's is set to 3 AM. It's one of the pre made networks. You can join a bunch at time and switch between them at the network menu. Best use for them outside of Happy Hour is being able to just send mass invites for matches without having to fumble through more clicks and menus.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

psyman posted:

I’m not trolling i’m serious about all of my statements! I just care about the genre of military science-fiction which we have been starved of for years in games and film.

Titanfall 1 was innovative and cinematic in terms of giving players a sense of being part of a believable war in the future. There is no current or former equivalent to it in the genre, as much of a rough draft as it was, especially not online. I think most of you are just happy with the same old year-in, year-out kind of sequels. If TF3 came out with the same online MP as 2 but a few new maps and titans you would all be praising it, without demanding any better.

oh for sure dude, the game with such great lines as “you kill me, you’re better. If I kill you, I’m better” and “you change sides more than you change your socks” was the military science-fiction writing masterpiece we’d been waiting for

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Antoine Silvere posted:

oh for sure dude, the game with such great lines as “you kill me, you’re better. If I kill you, I’m better” and “you change sides more than you change your socks” was the military science-fiction writing masterpiece we’d been waiting for

*bettah

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

*betteh

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Butter?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
beh'taergh

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Songbearer posted:

beh'taergh

No no, that was Teal'c's friend.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Hey thread, I've been playing this game more since it the player count up and I've been thinking of changing my PSN name. I heard there are some risks to it, I am fine if some people still see my own name, I'm more worried about losing my Black Ronin and if there is any chance of that.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I found a little hiding spot in Apex Legends that's pretty much inside a wall, and i go there if my squadmates dc. That doesn't happen all that often, but it's nice to have something to do other than quit the match and try again. I don't know how well known the spot is. I haven't seen it on the reddit, and these kinds of exploits usually get outed there. As far as i can tell, I'm completely hidden in the wall while i can still see out, but I cannot shoot from there, or throw grenades or anything. They all just hit the inner part of the geometry. It's a pretty regularly trafficked area, so i get to watch teams run around and fight. I tried to get the jump on somebody only once, but the whole squad was there and they made quick work of me. After that though, i felt kinda bad. I basically cheated, and even though it didn't work out for me, it felt dirty and cheap. So I've resolved to use it for hiding and dropping quotes on passersby like some video game phantom.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The only way to cleanse yourself of this sin is to play certified good game Titanfall 2 and drop a titan on someone

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I do play tf2 on occasion. It is extremely good and fun but im just not very good at it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I started playing again these last couple days. There look to be about 1500 people on PC at any one time. The good news is the game still owns and I finally went and figured out that the adaptive resolution setting was what's been making my game look so blurry. The bad news is that I feel absolutely terrible at it now. :smith:

It also reminded me that I far prefer its visuals over Apex's. Everything in that looks cartoony but in that overdesigned, genericly sci-fi way that so many games of its ilk are.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's been a while but it's kinda hosed up that Apex Legends is still namedropped in the thread title. Honestly it was pretty hosed up when the thread name got changed to sideline Titanfall to begin with.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Xarbala posted:

It's been a while but it's kinda hosed up that Apex Legends is still namedropped in the thread title. Honestly it was pretty hosed up when the thread name got changed to sideline Titanfall to begin with.

There was a moment when AL seemed small enough that it would just be a passing fad for this thread, but here we are. PM Videogames and ask him to change it? :shrug:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Mordja posted:

I started playing again these last couple days. There look to be about 1500 people on PC at any one time. The good news is the game still owns and I finally went and figured out that the adaptive resolution setting was what's been making my game look so blurry. The bad news is that I feel absolutely terrible at it now. :smith:

It also reminded me that I far prefer its visuals over Apex's. Everything in that looks cartoony but in that overdesigned, genericly sci-fi way that so many games of its ilk are.

Hey same! I got furloughed so I’ve been cycling through old games and man nothing hits the spot like titanfall. It’s so loving fun. I’m still in the goon network too.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The goon network on pc? What is it called?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Could we get a little game night going? Seems like theyre several folks on PC based on last few posts

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

Could we get a little game night going? Seems like theyre several folks on PC based on last few posts

I'm up for a PC night, with this quarantine poo poo I go to work less so I can pull late night with NA folks.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
How active is this game on PC? Just hopped on my PS4 version and there were like 4200 people on which is not too bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Solarflare posted:

How active is this game on PC? Just hopped on my PS4 version and there were like 4200 people on which is not too bad.

It's about 1/3 of that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There was a moment when AL seemed small enough that it would just be a passing fad for this thread, but here we are. PM Videogames and ask him to change it? :shrug:

You know what, why not

Got any ideas? Best one I could think of is Titanfall: See You Space Rodeo

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
PC version is on sale for $5 on amazon

Correction: on origin

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 10, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nice title change. Sorry I hosed it up in the first place! :suicide:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks, VG!

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Game still rules.

https://i.imgur.com/7672lKk.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/4QpyiL9.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/oBNTefa.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/8diCydN.gifv

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 15, 2020

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

I did not suggest that at all, of course there are some weak parts to TF1 that’s why I used the term “rough draft”. I was more broadly praising the ambitious structure and approach to multiplayer taken with the first game, rather than the specific story that was told (and not particularly well I admit).

I think everyone is on the same page about the bad dialogue and other flaws, that should be obvious and not need to be stated. A few posters have replied in the same way as you by misrepresenting my statements in order to dismiss them. See:

Eyud posted:

Yeah I guess I'm just too dumb to appreciate the grand cinematic masterpiece that was Titanfall 1. :rolleyes:
^ It’s really dumb and annoying and drags down the quality of discourse.

psyman fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 20, 2020

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

psyman posted:

It’s really dumb and annoying and drags down the quality of discourse.

quote:

I think most of you are just happy with the same old year-in, year-out kind of sequels. If TF3 came out with the same online MP as 2 but a few new maps and titans you would all be praising it, without demanding any better.

Ah yes, the high quality discourse of basically calling everyone in the thread philistines. Can’t understand why anyone would be dismissive of that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

psyman posted:

I did not suggest that at all, of course there are some weak parts to TF1 that’s why I used the term “rough draft”. I was more broadly praising the ambitious structure and approach to multiplayer taken with the first game, rather than the specific story that was told (and not particularly well I admit).

I think everyone is on the same page about the bad dialogue and other flaws, that should be obvious and not need to be stated. A few posters have replied in the same way as you by misrepresenting my statements in order to dismiss them. See:

^ It’s really dumb and annoying and drags down the quality of discourse.

Lmao why are you bringing this up again now, months later? You absolute lunatic.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Man you have some seriously good tracking. Teach me your ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

Lmao why are you bringing this up again now, months later? You absolute lunatic.

Posts once in a year only to poo poo on the game. It's a weird gimmick to be honest.