Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CongoJack posted:

What in the hell is the softball?

6-round drum-fed grenade launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It's description says it's equally effective on pilot and titan, which is it lying to you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

sigher posted:

Yeah, I've played a good amount of Frontier Defense and I don't have a single Titan maxed out, hell I don't even think my highest level Titan is half way. It's a bit too grindy.

And yeah, gently caress the EPG.

aegis rank 20 is, assuming good play, I dunno, six-seven hours each? It's like going from zero to gen 6.0 but since you can stay in your titan for 4/5 waves if you're moderately careful you can rank up pretty fast. And some maps are just made for some titans, like Rise is basically feeding every long range titan XP like no other

(very late edit: 6 to 8.5 is what I've got as a spread for zero to Aegis 20, depending on Titan. Scorch is my fastest, Monarch is my slowest.)

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 1, 2020

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blind Duke posted:

It's description says it's equally effective on pilot and titan, which is it lying to you

I suppose the damage values might be equal, but a titan will just laugh at you as it boosts over to punch your body into a pulp.

Still seeing a bunch of new players, and a decent fraction of those who bought it when it first went on sale sticking around. Steam sale has made a huge diff to the Australian scene, which was on life support.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

the softball is low key the best weapon in the game when paired with sprint fire, i stopped using it cause it seemed unsporting

There is no unsporting weapon in a game that has enemies that do whatever they can to kill you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Psion posted:

aegis rank 20 is, assuming good play, I dunno, six-seven hours each?

I feel that's too long.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love the Softball for those occasions someone kills you and thinks they got away Scott free and then half a second later explodes :v:

Only titan I have maxed out is of course Scorch. Going through the others bit by bit. Scorch is just too good on most FD maps though, the amount of damage he can output is insane and in crowds (for the few moments they're alive at least) you can get core after core really quickly.

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012
any goons still playing this game? i clicked on the discord link mentioned earlier in this chat but now it says "invite invalid," not sure if that means the link is broken or if the discord is just dead

ICR posted:

Yes we play every single day.

https://discord.gg/Fvu5VX
edit: i also sent a request to join the [BUNS] Hot Dogs network in-game, so if you see a join request from Apretando that's little ol' me

bluetail fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 15, 2020

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

bluetail posted:

any goons still playing this game? i clicked on the discord link mentioned earlier in this chat but now it says "invite invalid," not sure if that means the link is broken or if the discord is just dead

edit: i also sent a request to join the [BUNS] Hot Dogs network in-game, so if you see a join request from Apretando that's little ol' me

Sorry! That link had an expiration. And yes! We have peeps still playing. We’ll fire up some game nights around it because this game rocks.

https://discord.gg/FpcuPXM

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone collect the guns? You can have this for free. Not sure if I have the little stand for it still

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 25, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's that from? Were they just releasing miniatures of the guns or something?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1454890

the classic now on steam as well!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

But..... why? Isn't that game completely dead?

edit: I still bought it though, lol

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

sigher posted:

But..... why? Isn't that game completely dead?

edit: I still bought it though, lol

:same:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The PC population was basically dead last time I played, which led me to buying an Xbox One because I like the game so much and there were still hundreds playing. I regret nothing. Maybe the Steam release will give it a boost? Or maybe people will see it still requires use of Origin to play and not bother. I dunno why EA's doing that with all their Steam releases.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
PC population is like 10 guys who still play on weekends and stuff, and there's no singleplayer (the "campaign" is a multiplayer campaign where other players play the enemies)

also there have been problems with a hacker who got mad that he was getting dumpstered (by actual players lol) and has been attacking the game servers in various forms to make it impossible to play - which is probably a large part of the reason it's basically zero now. Before the shenanigans started the player population was not great, like maybe dozens normally to hundreds during peak hours, but that guy basically killed the whole game and Respawn just let him do it for more than a year.

the more recent form of his attacks is that trying to get into the multiplayer would crash with a message with random text, and then after that he found another way where you would go into a lobby by yourself but your lobby would never merge into anyone else's lobby, so unless you had a bunch of people who all joined at the same instant and were put in the same lobby from the start you would just queue forever

He seems to have tapered off (I bugged a respawn developer on reddit which may have helped? maybe they finally fixed it) but Respawn is not officially supporting this game anymore at all and it's teetering on the edge of literal unplayability so, uh, putting it on Steam is an interesting move for sure.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 20, 2020

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Getting to play the campaign again would be fun. Hopefully the numbers bump enough.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah, I’ll re download it yet again and see if there’s a bump in the player base.

Unfortunately it’s a pain to keep installed because it’s like 65 gigabytes, of which about 50gb is uncompressed wav audio files because XB360 couldn’t decode MP3 in real-time and respawn didn’t want to take the five minutes to build that support for the other platforms

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nope. Installer is busted and even when you get in game the servers are hosed. None of the map packs show as installed and you get booted out of session within seconds (any time you click "play" you are in lobby, and any time you are in lobby you will be booted back to menu within a few seconds). Literally unplayable, as in "cannot be played at all".

Dunno if it's the hacker or if Respawn is just that incompetent.

Well, that's it, this was Respawn's big chance to revitalize the PC player base. Game is officially dead now.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

You can still get enough players for full games of Attrition, Frontier Defense and Campaign on Xbox One, but every other mode is dead. Sometimes there's a full lobby or two of Last Titan Standing but thankfully the game's still alive on there, albeit not with great numbers but all that matters is getting a full lobby. Should double/triple in number of players when evening rolls round.

I wonder why EA never ported their other games to PC or supported them properly? Burnout Paradise & Hot Pursuit 2010 came to PC but didn't get DLC support, and then other games like SSX, Burnout Revenge, the great Fight Night series etc. were just left console-only. I'd have thought that since they went to the trouble of making their own storefront with Origin they'd actually do something with their library of games but it seems the whole thing's one big mess. Now they're finally back on Steam but still require Origin which makes it pointless :bang:

Starting up Titanfall and seeing the 2014 trademark thing reminds me of the old Unreal Tournament games and how if something's good, you'll always have that small dedicated group of people keeping it alive :)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Man, Titanfall 1 was a good game.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Given the success of Apex Legends, what do yall think of the possibilities of a F2P Titanfall 3 on the new consoles? Could it be sustainable without battle-royale level popularity, or would it be a bad idea from the start?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Apparently the new map in Apex Legends is from a failed Titanfall 3 project so I think the IP is officially dead :(

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've heard apex legends was originally a open world Titanfall game with like quests and such (so think division and anthem, as in being able to customize titans and load outs and such)

That got pivoted into the battle royale it is now.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Ineffiable posted:

I've heard apex legends was originally a open world Titanfall game with like quests and such (so think division and anthem, as in being able to customize titans and load outs and such)

lol what

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Probably for the best, Anthem fuckin sucks and Apex owns bones

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I actually never played titanfall 1 so shame to hear the steam release is a poo poo show

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bushmaori posted:

Given the success of Apex Legends, what do yall think of the possibilities of a F2P Titanfall 3 on the new consoles? Could it be sustainable without battle-royale level popularity, or would it be a bad idea from the start?

they just have absolutely no incentive so long as BR games are popular

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

They’re playing the long game with apex, they added cars to the new map in season 7. By season 10 it’s gonna be a new map with titans.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
i miss rodeoing and going :blastu: into a titan's guttywhats

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I’ve got no interest in battle royale as a genre. In Titanfall I can see enemy pilots from across the map with the frantic movements and neon red helmets. In Apex my lovely eyes can’t see anything. Profiles are less distinct, more concealment in the maps, further distances, etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Blind Duke posted:

I’ve got no interest in battle royale as a genre. In Titanfall I can see enemy pilots from across the map with the frantic movements and neon red helmets. In Apex my lovely eyes can’t see anything. Profiles are less distinct, more concealment in the maps, further distances, etc.

:hmmyes:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Apex needs wallrunning and Titans.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A proper Titanfall BR game would be really great. This console gen couldn't handle it obviously but maybe XSX & PS5 could handle 50 titans blowing the crap out of each other with AI running around and turrets etc? I'd love the sheer chaos of it. I know people want fancy graphics on the new consoles but I'd be happy with TF2 graphics running at same res/fps and just a lot more happening with way more players and huge battles taking place.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Apex is good. Titanfall is good. I don’t want a “more titanfall” BR, the arena nature of titanfall is what makes it so fast and fun. 50 titan brawls sounds like absolute poo poo. You have enough to consider with 6 enemies. Just make Titanfall 2 again but more and figure out a way to keep the gaming masses playing so I can quickly get matches whenever I want.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stan Taylor posted:

Apex is good. Titanfall is good. I don’t want a “more titanfall” BR, the arena nature of titanfall is what makes it so fast and fun. 50 titan brawls sounds like absolute poo poo. You have enough to consider with 6 enemies. Just make Titanfall 2 again but more and figure out a way to keep the gaming masses playing so I can quickly get matches whenever I want.

not releasing it directly between two well established triple AAA shooter franchises would probably help

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Well good/bad news is they're starting to treat Apex as a platform. At the launch of the most recent season, in eurogamer i think, their lead designer mentioned that if winds change they can pivot to something else. Couple that with dataminers finding code about an arena mode you can read into that what you like.

FWIW I don't think we'll ever get titans in apex but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with an arena dm/tdm mode sooner than later. I know they kinda flirted with one last year during their christmas event with the train.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I love both Titanfall and apex. If they could blend Titans into apex I think it would be swell.

I still want a proper Titanfall 3 with SP and MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dragonshardz posted:

Apex needs wallrunning

This is why I didn't stick with it. While it's a pretty great game in terms of feel the limited mobility hurt it (especially after being used to TF2's glorious movement!) and only Pathfinder being able to do much more than run or slide was a joke. I guess they realised this which is why they've added a few characters able to teleport places, use a jump pad, climb higher walls etc recently.