Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Digirat posted:

Origin means they aren't paying valve 30% of every PC sale, that doesn't sound like a mistake to me.

Yeah, I mean, as big of a clusterfuck as Origin is...they are using their biggest properties to promote it.

Even Steam launched somewhere. I remember loathing Steam when Half Life 2 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Eyud posted:

Yeah the idea that EA made a mistake with Origin is laughable. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they hosed up.

Man, sucks that nobody is playing this dying game, and never will again after it dies. But hey, at least EA got 30% more for each sale!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Origin has a smaller footprint than steam. You can literally shut all of the overlay poo poo off. Like, EA has far larger transgressions than this when it comes to profiting on their games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eyud posted:

Yeah the idea that EA made a mistake with Origin is laughable. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they hosed up.

I mean, depends. If they would have gotten over 30%* more buyers on Steam than they have on Origin, then it kind of does. But they're obviously trying to grow their own service regardless of short-term losses.

*Didn't bother doing any actual math on that, nobody correct me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't used origin in years, but occasionally I still have to kill the updater process because it somehow gets permission to run for no reason. It's practically malware.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

vyst posted:

Origin has a smaller footprint than steam. You can literally shut all of the overlay poo poo off. Like, EA has far larger transgressions than this when it comes to profiting on their games.

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad client, it's just not steam, and nothing they do is going to change that. Right now it's just a launcher for Battlefield and Titanfall. Keeping those games Origin-exclusive is about as smart as if Ubisoft decided their games were uPlay-exclusive, instead of "$5 more expensive on steam, and with an annoying uPlay wrapper"

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, it's sad that Origin killed off the Battlefield playerbase too. What a mistake. I bet they're really kicking themselves.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Eyud posted:

Yeah, it's sad that Origin killed off the Battlefield playerbase too. What a mistake. I bet they're really kicking themselves.
Oh I thought we were talking about Titanfall, a game that is dying from lack of players.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I thought we were talking about how it's all Origin's fault, because clearly it is, just look at the evidence!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Man, sucks that nobody is playing this dying game, and never will again after it dies. But hey, at least EA got 30% more for each sale!

From august 22:

quote:

Since the release of Monarch’s Reign in May, we’ve seen our playerbase increase every month. Currently we have over a million players across all platforms each month playing multiplayer, and we’re expecting August to be our biggest month of 2017.
The average time spent per player is currently the highest it’s been in the last 6 months.
Since the launch of Frontier Defense and Titanfall 2 being added to the Vault for EA access members and the release of Ultimate Edition, we’ve seen average daily active users increase by nearly 50% in the last month.

I'm having no problem finding FD games on PC myself. But most multiplayer games have populations that are thinning out pretty fast by a year after release so TF2 did start emptying out fast after that blog post then it wouldn't even be unique in the slightest. You're also treating TF2 as a solely PC game when the majority of target consumers actually aren't on PC and therefore aren't affected by origin in the slightest, and you're blindly ignoring other factors in its success such as how EA decided to release this lesser-known shooter right next to call of duty and battlefield.

What a flimsy-rear end post.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TF2 disc didn't leave my PS4 for 10 months straight. I'm G20, I've got fishsticks nfor everything, and the tryhard players are now beating my rear end hard because I'm an old. I didn't stop playing TF because of low player counts or anything. The game never died for me, I just burned out. I need a break.

Now Persona 5 is in the drive and it's not coming out until I'm done.

If I'm playing any multi these days it's TLoU Factions because playing that game is like riding a bike. Also, it's kind of relaxing in a way compared to TF2's unyielding bombast and total serotonin drain.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

From august 22:

I'm having no problem finding FD games on PC myself. But most multiplayer games have populations that are thinning out pretty fast by a year after release so TF2 did start emptying out fast after that blog post then it wouldn't even be unique in the slightest. You're also treating TF2 as a solely PC game when the majority of target consumers actually aren't on PC and therefore aren't affected by origin in the slightest, and you're blindly ignoring other factors in its success such as how EA decided to release this lesser-known shooter right next to call of duty and battlefield.

What a flimsy-rear end post.
It's awesome that you crawl out of the woodwork with this bullshit when someone insults Origin, but not with all the other posters saying things like

General Battuta posted:

Somebody should go back to PVP cause the PC playerbase is dead :smith:

s.i.r.e. posted:

"The light that burns twice bright, burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly Roy Titanfall 2."

Rest in the peace the greatest shooter there ever was.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Y'all moved onto Destiny 2 now or what? SHAMEFUL.
Good news, guys, our game isn't dying! It's the biggest it's ever been! It's so big, the matchmaking is having trouble getting all these players into games, and all future content updates are cancelled!

You might be right about consoles, I have no idea, it might be bigger there, and it's just a ghost town on PC, but they've still stopped updating, and they're not about to move into DLC that isn't just robot skins. As for timing, it wasn't great, but I came over from the other games, because it was clear that the gameplay sucked for BF and COD this cycle for whatever reason*, and Titanfall 2 is clearly the better game.

*The reason is because they make too many of them.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

You know what else? Having friends on Steam playing your game is good for promotion, in the case of maybe a publisher not doing enough to promote a game. I've seen early access games slowly sweep my friends list, and I guess that would work on Origin too if people wanted to use it for anything other than a launcher for multiplayer FPS games, but this is not the case.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Titanfall 2 wasn’t a commercial smash on console, but it did well enough. PS4 playerbase was healthy at 8-10K players for most of the cycle, with Attrition matchmaking times never dipping below a minute until Destiny 2 came out. PC TF2 looks like it consistently did better than any of the attempted arena shooter revivals (Quake Champions, Lawbreakers) too.

I’m not worried about Respawn with them announcing a VR game, and their Star Wars game in development.

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/918186074446245888

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Skyscraper posted:

As an EA shareholder, let me tell you I really appreciate that 30%! Also, the game "dying" has nothing to do with Origin.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Lumpy posted:

Also, the game "dying" has nothing to do with Origin.
Apparently it has nothing to do with anything, Digirat tells me it's bigger than ever since Monarch dropped.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

It's awesome that you crawl out of the woodwork with this bullshit when someone insults Origin, but not with all the other posters saying things like

Good news, guys, our game isn't dying! It's the biggest it's ever been! It's so big, the matchmaking is having trouble getting all these players into games, and all future content updates are cancelled!

You might be right about consoles, I have no idea, it might be bigger there, and it's just a ghost town on PC, but they've still stopped updating, and they're not about to move into DLC that isn't just robot skins. As for timing, it wasn't great, but I came over from the other games, because it was clear that the gameplay sucked for BF and COD this cycle for whatever reason*, and Titanfall 2 is clearly the better game.

*The reason is because they make too many of them.

I'm very sorry I didn't respond to each of those posts because that matters to you for reasons unclear (I've already said in the past that I'm not having trouble finding games and I don't know what platform or modes they're playing, so what do you even want me to say to them). you're still ignoring everything I said without actually giving any reasons why origin has somehow caused the game to "die" besides the fact that you don't like it, as if this is a PC only game, as if it isn't already a year old, as if this happens to every origin game when it absolutely doesn't, and as if there are no other factors that could matter such as the terrible time EA chose to release the game. You've just made this nonsensical connection in your head and convinced yourself it was the truth, and you're ignoring everything else to continue believing it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

I'm very sorry I didn't respond to each of those posts because that matters to you for reasons unclear (I've already said in the past that I'm not having trouble finding games and I don't know what platform or modes they're playing, so what do you even want me to say to them). you're still ignoring everything I said without actually giving any reasons why origin has somehow caused the game to "die" besides the fact that you don't like it, as if this is a PC only game, as if it isn't already a year old, as if this happens to every origin game when it absolutely doesn't, and as if there are no other factors that could matter such as the terrible time EA chose to release the game. You've just made this nonsensical connection in your head and convinced yourself it was the truth, and you're ignoring everything else to continue believing it.
You just told me it isn't dying, why should I prove that Origin is the cause of this not-death? Is it dying, or isn't it? I talked about an awful lot of things, but you're choosing to ignore them in favor of what is I guess the important part for you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You should prove origin is to blame because you're the one saying it is :wtc:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like Origin and I liked Battlelog, it was a better way to keep track of servers without needing to be in-game and change classes before joining one.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Skyscraper posted:

Apparently it has nothing to do with anything, Digirat tells me it's bigger than ever since Monarch dropped.

I look forward to your in depth analysis on how Origin affected the playerbase on PS4 and XBone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyscraper posted:

Good news, guys, our game isn't dying! It's the biggest it's ever been!

My comment was somewhat in jest, I don't think the game is dead due to a lack of a playerbase but it's sad to see that the game is basically done with when it comes to updates and content.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lumpy posted:

I look forward to your in depth analysis on how Origin affected the playerbase on PS4 and XBone.

I'm still trying to find the origin app on the PSN store. There's something about EA access in xbox.com but nope, not like that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Guillermus posted:

I'm still trying to find the origin app on the PSN store. There's something about EA access in xbox.com but nope, not like that.

No wonder this game is dead!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

You should prove origin is to blame because you're the one saying it is :wtc:
Blame for what? Is it dying or is it the biggest?

s.i.r.e. posted:

My comment was somewhat in jest, I don't think the game is dead due to a lack of a playerbase but it's sad to see that the game is basically done with when it comes to updates and content.
I had kind of imagined they stopped putting out updates and content due to a lack of playerbase, but I don't rightly know, they might just not want to make the kind of cashgrabs that the other big shooters do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Let's say it is dead, since you're clearly just using that question to distract and dodge around having to justify what you said. So why did origin make it die?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

Let's say it is dead, since you're clearly just using that question to distract and dodge around having to justify what you said. So why did origin make it die?
No, I asked if it was dying or not, not for some half-assed "oh, you're just dodging so I let's say it is". How did you screw up the first time, or are you asking me to prove that Origin caused something that didn't happen?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skyscraper posted:

No, I asked if it was dying or not, not for some half-assed "oh, you're just dodging so I let's say it is". How did you screw up the first time, or are you asking me to prove that Origin caused something that didn't happen?

Actually while I'm at it

Guillermus posted:

I like Origin and I liked Battlelog, it was a better way to keep track of servers without needing to be in-game and change classes before joining one.
I liked that too, it did a good job of letting me ogle the ribbons and achievements and next gun attachments and whatnot, and it made for a good battlefield social media type thing out of game. Ingame, though, the lack of a server browser made joining games a real pain if you didn't have a SSD. I don't think any of that is Origin's fault, other Origin games had server browsers that worked, I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This is a dumb discussion. When's FNN update?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
We are witnessing the future. The future of the tf2 thread content on somethingawful dot com.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

We are witnessing the future. The future of the tf2 thread content on somethingawful dot com.

:ohdear:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is a dumb discussion. When's FNN update?

You mean the one last week that said the game is on patching life support?

:smith:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I bought the game a couple of weeks ago and am playing the SP. It's surprisingly creative and fun, even if the main character has no personality. Hats off to the devs for putting in the effort. I'm definitely playing it all the way but will probably not touch the MP.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shame, because the MP is best in class.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few people have asked what the Home key is in my games over the last couple days. Do some keyboards just not have one? or could they...actually not puzzle that one out? :psyduck:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"It's where the Heart key is"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Home key is the origin of all keys.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Renoistic posted:

I bought the game a couple of weeks ago and am playing the SP. It's surprisingly creative and fun, even if the main character has no personality. Hats off to the devs for putting in the effort. I'm definitely playing it all the way but will probably not touch the MP.

I feel like you kind of get a glimpse of personality as you select the dialogue options. Definitely feel the bromance between cooper and bt by the end

MP is great and you should try it. I haven't played anything this fast paced in years and I found it easy to adapt to. Even the first few hours when I was getting stomped I was having fun because there's a lot going on. I also find it easy to set personal goals for improvement. At first I just focused on learning the basic mechanics, then I tried out all the kits, then I worked on unlocking melee executions, now I'm working to get better at using the grappling hook and trying all the different weapons to find my preferred ones.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So... Who wants to play Frontier Defense with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Renoistic posted:

This game has the best MP, and right now the worst that'll happen is that you'll have to play at prime time or wait a while for a game. If you're not picky about game modes, I'm sure you'll get something, and if you play Attrition then you can kill CPU grunts to help your team out while you get good enough to beat other players. It's way more forgiving than other FPSes that will dump you in a situation where being new only serves to feed the enemy.