Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Really hope if we get a third game they bring Titan durability back more towards how it was in the first game, it's kinda pathetic how fragile they are in 2, I think a good way to help fix this issue would be to have Shields be on by default and have them regenerate like in 1, have batteries be for repairing health and adding Core meter instead

Also Anti-Titan weapons need to be severely nerfed

Yuck no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The only thing Titans need is an external megaphone on their torso that blasts tinny music based on your Titan, I suggest Creedence Clearwater's "Green River" for Legion or the Attack on Titan theme for Ronin.

Dibs on kpop for ion.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

drrockso20 posted:

Really hope if we get a third game they bring Titan durability back more towards how it was in the first game, it's kinda pathetic how fragile they are in 2, I think a good way to help fix this issue would be to have Shields be on by default and have them regenerate like in 1, have batteries be for repairing health and adding Core meter instead

Also Anti-Titan weapons need to be severely nerfed

If I may present an alternative interpretation of reality: You're Wrong

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Kinda funny how none of you have a counter argument beyond saying no or trying to tell me to "get good"*

*which in my opinion immediately invalidates any argument a person has even if they otherwise might have had a point

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Would honestly like more skillful anti-titan weapons. 3 out of the 4 weapons are practically fire and forget. Charge rifle for life.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda funny how none of you have a counter argument beyond saying no or trying to tell me to "get good"*

*which in my opinion immediately invalidates any argument a person has even if they otherwise might have had a point

I didn't even say that. It's just an awful idea. Titans are powerful as gently caress. They still need to balance with pilot combat. They cant just be mopping the floor for the whole round. Being a pilot should be enjoyable too. The game has an extremely good balance of the Titan power fantasy while still making the pilot combat excellent. Giving titans more health and making the pilot AT weapons weaker would make half of the game suck.

And since I didn't comment on it before, yes, you should probably get better at Titan combat if you think they are fragile little things that get blown up too easily.

The fact that no one else ever really asks for this should be a tip off that your idea is bad dude.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

drrockso20 posted:

Ok here it is: your idea basically lets the first guy to get a Titan (statistically the best player) go ham and gently caress over everyone, and that's literally against the game's design principles which says that even terrible players with potato aim can have fun and do things that are useful to their team.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

While I don't think Titans should be all powerful, a single pilot can do way too much damage against a titan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just want to see the evidence that titans are extremely fragile. They have a ton of heath, AT weapons just chip away at them unless the enemy team is making a concerted effort to destroy you. In which case, good on them they used teamwork. There are plenty of opportunities to salvage a Titan via batteries as well and they gib any pilot in their line of sight. It's honestly rare a Titan lasts less than enough time to kill a few pilots and maybe take another Titan with you, which seems right. A well played Titan can last most of the round.

You seem to think that the whole game should be based around getting in a Titan so pilots can be cannon fodder, when the game is balanced around being fun regardless of if you are using a Titan or not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And re: AT weapons. At the very most, getting hit by one is going to take less than 20% of a titans health. If they have the angle on you and keep plinking away, it's kind of on you to get out of the crossfire instead of just sitting there, hoping they will pop out so you can gib them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I usually went with a rodeo over AT weapons, but the charge rifle was the poo poo. I think it was well-tuned. You could do decent damage but not too much, and it made you visible, so when you were playing Titan you knew where the shots were coming from.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The first guy who gets a Titan opens the floodgates for everyone to get theirs too, as landing a few charged shots on them fills up your meter pretty quickly.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Titans become more durable, anti-titan weapons gradually deal more and more damage per hit so popping out a few shots isn't threatening but you can't just ignore people plinking away at you. Rodeo mechanics go back to how they were in 1 and can gently caress up a titan, but there are a lot of ways for titans to interact with it like dashing backwards into a wall to make the pilot re-set their rodeo animation or something, back scratching with cluster missiles/thermite, etc.

The counter to hard slow is soft fast

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning the only specific change for Titan durability I suggested was making Shields work more like how they did in 1(and the story mode for 2), which I think would be fair, although it would mean Monarch would need changing(assuming all the Titans from 2 make it into 3)

As for anti Titan weapons I'll admit I should have been more specific, and meant Archers specifically, as they're just a touch too strong(although Charge Rifles could probably use some adjusting too)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

drrockso20 posted:

Worth mentioning the only specific change for Titan durability I suggested was making Shields work more like how they did in 1(and the story mode for 2), which I think would be fair, although it would mean Monarch would need changing(assuming all the Titans from 2 make it into 3)

I imagine they'll largely keep themed titans around, but that they'll give each one its own unique core upgrade tree like Monarch has. Monarch feels like a calculated experiment to me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I imagine they'll largely keep themed titans around, but that they'll give each one its own unique core upgrade tree like Monarch has. Monarch feels like a calculated experiment to me.

I just hope they change it so Core upgrades stick across Titans, kinda annoying that it gets reset if you lose your titan(especially in Frontier Defense)

Also I think we can all agree that Titan crouching is pretty pointless overall and they could probably have O/B be used for another Titan ability weapon instead(maybe give each Titan a dedicated anti-personnel ability besides Electric Smoke)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 24, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Also I think we can all agree that Titan crouching is pretty pointless overall and they could probably have O/B be used for another Titan ability weapon instead(maybe give each Titan a dedicated anti-personnel ability besides Electric Smoke)

I dunno, I sort of like sneaking a titan through a tunnel in order to surprise a group's rear flank.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Ultimately level design is the thing I want most improved. There are some good maps in 2, but man MAN 1 had some good ones

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like there are just 2 totally different camps of TF fans. Like, I love every TF2 map and can't stand most of the ones from the first game with a few exceptions. And I love how powerful pilots get to be. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like there are just 2 totally different camps of TF fans. Like, I love every TF2 map and can't stand most of the ones from the first game with a few exceptions. And I love how powerful pilots get to be. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Most of the maps are fine, except Homestead. Homestead just turns into a shooting gallery for whichever team gets Titans first.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

but it's a great map on FD :haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

War Games is the best map for all modes, including F_D.

Kill me now please, I can't even pull sarcasm with that map without feeling like I'm going to explode.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve been itching for a good CoDlike shooter with fun unlocks and leveling, all that nonsense. Reinstalled this even though I sometimes think it’s a dead game/series. Hopefully not though because fuuuuck I love this game. It feels so satisfying to play in so many ways and I almost always do well.

Anyone care to give me the rundown on the good loudouts and or what’s not great to use now? I play the two ai enabled mp modes if that matters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been itching for a good CoDlike shooter with fun unlocks and leveling, all that nonsense. Reinstalled this even though I sometimes think it’s a dead game/series. Hopefully not though because fuuuuck I love this game. It feels so satisfying to play in so many ways and I almost always do well.

Anyone care to give me the rundown on the good loudouts and or what’s not great to use now? I play the two ai enabled mp modes if that matters.

Scorch absolutely destroys on Frontier Defense. That is all.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Scorch absolutely destroys on Frontier Defense. That is all.

Lstar with awall, grav star and thunderbolt. Backup loadout swap awall for grapple hook depending on the map.

Standard strat is to save money and buy two turrets first. For added fun place them behind awall with you launching thunderbolts from behind them, with your Titan having smart core. You can repair pretty quick and easy. Better with a friend so you can cram 4 turrets into that space. You can pick up turrets between each round and move them depending on map/spawn: takes time so make sure you can cram that and buying in before timer expires.

Scorch is supreme. Ronin is surprisingly good, and when you get the final core upgrade you get god mode. Monarch is good too and it’s not that hard to get all the upgrades. Legion is legion tone is tone. Ion is good but lacks the area deny raw power of scorch. North Star is good, but fd is all about managing lanes and she can get overwhelmed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I use A-Wall as well, usually with the R97. And I roll with Extra Battery so that my Scorch is on the field as long as possible every time.

The Thunderbolt is so loving powerful for filling meters and stealing titan kills that pulling batteries is pointless now.

Scorch was the last titan to get buffed, so if you were capable with him before the FD patch then you'll be loving :krad: with him now that he has a free dash. I definitely recommend Overcore and Wildfire Launcher so that you almost always have access to a Flame Core in a tight.

The previous (lovely) Scorch strat proposed by people like Frothy was to rely almost solely on sneaking and rear flanking with extended Flame Shield, but most of the time I find Flame Shield now more useful for blocking salvos and chip damage on the fly. The real strat is to get good at sniping with the Wildfire Launcher, control lanes with gas/flamewall, and then move in for the 1-shot kill with aggressive use of Flame Core. Using this strat I get 6-8 titan KOs per match.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 28, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I take it I shouldn’t ignore FD then?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I take it I shouldn’t ignore FD then?

Next to Attrition it's probably the mode that will be alive the longest. Each titan levels individually though.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There is a cool Scorch tactic of sticking around more confined areas with the fireproof armor, dropping your gas traps around the exit routes of your target and getting in close with the flame shield. Constantly advancing straight while your target needs to move around a bunch to avoid the pools of fire.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Duke posted:

There is a cool Scorch tactic of sticking around more confined areas with the fireproof armor, dropping your gas traps around the exit routes of your target and getting in close with the flame shield. Constantly advancing straight while your target needs to move around a bunch to avoid the pools of fire.

so basically this...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game is 5 drat dollars right now on psn.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It was $5 on PC too not long ago , there is really no excuse not to have played this legend of a game if you have a thing that can run it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

so basically this...

Papa scorch is just adorable :3:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I've been playing around midnight west coast time but it's been taking 2 to 5 minutes to find an Attrition game. :(

https://i.imgur.com/iJh6aaW.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/099lJNt.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/tXK264K.gifv

also I missed the TF1 talk but I jumped back in last night for a game and I think Titans aren't as durable as you may remember from TF1 even with the recharging shields.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What’s your PSN name? I’d love more people to play with.

PSN: literallygary

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
PSN: Wazzit

I'm on randomly late at night when I want jump in a quick game but if you see me on hit me up!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PSN: DrRockso_20

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Gf is at work all day and while I have a huge backlog of games all I wanna do is blow some poo poo up and control some Titans

Anyone wanna group today and shoot the mans? (PS4) I’m open on times

Don’t forget daylight savings was today!!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Gf is at work all day and while I have a huge backlog of games all I wanna do is blow some poo poo up and control some Titans

Anyone wanna group today and shoot the mans? (PS4) I’m open on times

Don’t forget daylight savings was today!!

I’ve been on a little today, ElJebus0 if you’re still on and we aren’t friends yet. Been playing frontier defense to get my titans leveled a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I added you! Anyone else wanna group and shoot mans later today? (Saturday)