Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Huh, I always thought Attrition was very much a secondary mode. I just wanted to mix it up with enemy pilots. The grunts were cute window dressing, and Attrition could be OK as a change of pace, but the main attraction for me was fighting directly against other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Sure, but you also want the grunts there to quickly wind down your titan timer.

I always thought of attrition as the normal team deathmatch mode, and the player counts seemed to bear that out. I vastly preferred hardpoint though for some reason.

SUNKOS posted:

You can use the slide to maintain some speed and momentum between moves when there's no walls around.

Apparently the Bounty Hunt mode is replacing Attrition. Hopefully the team at Respawn see how much everyone hates it and bring back Attrition, but they may have paid too much attention to the people who never played the original game and complained about all the AI enemies in the levels. I was hoping that we'd see more of that stuff in the sequel (where are the turrets to capture?) and not less. I've no idea why they're pushing the Pilot vs. Pilot mode either.

Is pilot vs pilot just deathmatch free for all, no teams and no AI grunts? That sounds like they're chasing the battlefield/COD crowd that complained about the AI grunts :(

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Attrition owned. After spending some serious time in bounty hunt it is not a good substitute. Also bunny hopping still works to maintain momentum to an extent.

I gotta say I will not really be playing anymore of the tech test. Playing titan fall with a control is disgusting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Also bunny hopping still works to maintain momentum to an extent.

woot

Knifegrab posted:

Attrition owned. After spending some serious time in bounty hunt it is not a good substitute.

not woot

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Supraluminal posted:

Huh, I always thought Attrition was very much a secondary mode. I just wanted to mix it up with enemy pilots. The grunts were cute window dressing, and Attrition could be OK as a change of pace, but the main attraction for me was fighting directly against other people.
You mix it up with other players in attrition plenty though. I mean yeah technically the best way to play Attrition was to avoid enemy players and farm AI but let's be real, that's very much not possible in practice as people will search you out and try to shoot you. Attrition was very much TF1's TDM mode and I thought it was a pretty decent twist on it. Not to mention even on modes not scored on kills like Hardpoint having the AI around is useful because you can use the to charge your titan/core meter and use friendly ones as sort of locators for enemy pilots when they get wiped out horribly.

MrBond posted:

Is pilot vs pilot just deathmatch free for all, no teams and no AI grunts? That sounds like they're chasing the battlefield/COD crowd that complained about the AI grunts :(
I saw a video of pilot vs pilot and it's 6v6, no titans, no AI

I am not amused :mad:

E: Just pretend I made a scathing remark about how it'll be the most popular gamemode because people hate fun or something here

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 19, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Insert name here posted:

You mix it up with other players in attrition plenty though. I mean yeah technically the best way to play Attrition was to avoid enemy players and farm AI but let's be real, that's very much not possible in practice as people will search you out and try to shoot you. Attrition was very much TF1's TDM mode and I thought it was a pretty decent twist on it. Not to mention even on modes not scored on kills like Hardpoint having the AI around is useful because you can use the to charge your titan/core meter and use friendly ones as sort of locators for enemy pilots when they get wiped out horribly.

I saw a video of pilot vs pilot and it's 6v6, no titans, no AI

I am not amused :mad:

E: Just pretend I made a scathing remark about how it'll be the most popular gamemode because people hate fun or something here

TF1 also had a pilot v pilot only mode just fyi.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Knifegrab posted:

TF1 also had a pilot v pilot only mode just fyi.
Did it? I only recall the Pilot Hunter mode which was basically Attrition (so it still had AI and titans in it) but only pilot kills counted.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man that feeling of calling in a Titan and leaping off a roof to land in it

Can't wait til my plums are that tight again

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Did it? I only recall the Pilot Hunter mode which was basically Attrition (so it still had AI and titans in it) but only pilot kills counted.

Hmm was that the case? Maybe its me who is misremembering.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
There was a mode called Pilot Skirmish that was 8 v 8 or something and it was only pilots, no Titans. It was really boring.

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently the Bounty Hunt mode is replacing Attrition.

That would be a REAL bummer.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 19, 2016

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
We got a bone krew network up yet? I NEED TO NETWORK!

Played one game of Bounty Hunt so far. I dug it, but I'll still miss attrition. It was on the map with the big open field area, and admittedly there are parts that are pretty wallrun-unconducive.

Also it's gonna be hard breaking the habit of pushing d-pad left for my anti-Titan weapon. I kept wasting my amped weapon charge :c

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Volcanic Vents posted:

I just went ahead and made it: Orbital Drop Shock Goons, clan tag GOON

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

The shoulder mounted laser on the Ion Titan is really satisfying when you land the hit, it's like they've attached a OHK sniper rifle to your Titan. Just be sure to manage your energy properly, I'm an idiot and just realized last night that the alternate fire (ADSing) on the primary Ion weapon drains your ability energy for vortex shield and the shoulder laser, using the default attack (hip firing) does not drain energy and having multiple shoulder blasts in the pocket against Titans is super useful, especially for pilots taking pot shots at you with the charge beam.

Volcanic Vents posted:

Played one game of Bounty Hunt so far. I dug it, but I'll still miss attrition. It was on the map with the big open field area, and admittedly there are parts that are pretty wallrun-unconducive.

Also it's gonna be hard breaking the habit of pushing d-pad left for my anti-Titan weapon. I kept wasting my amped weapon charge :c

I made a BOYS clan held over from COD goons, under Boy Team Super Xtreme. What's your GT?

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 19, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Seeing people play this on controllers is disgusting.

That laser tho.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

s.i.r.e. posted:

Seeing people play this on controllers is disgusting.

The most popular mode on PS4 right now is the pilots-only mode as well.

Not really sure how else to summarize this tech test other than the game feeling like more of a prequel than a sequel considering how many steps back they've taken. They've done a good job of improving the graphics but aside from that it feels so scaled-back that the first game feels like something they'd make as a follow-up to this when they've had the time to refine everything, rather than the other way round. I think PC players who don't have access to the tech test right now are going to be really disappointed when they finally give the game a try, but at least Origin has a good refund policy.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

The most popular mode on PS4 right now is the pilots-only mode as well.

gently caress

Delete the source code, Respawn. It's not worth it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Watching streams of this and it basically looks like COD with more mobility options, whenever the mechs aren't involved. People just run around corners and shoot each other in the back with near-instant TTK, the only visible difference here being that it happens from above sometimes due to the vertical mobility. But nothing seems to differentiate the basic gameplay from "instakilling people from outside their field of view". Repeat until match is over. Hooray?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Digirat posted:

Watching streams of this and it basically looks like COD with more mobility options, whenever the mechs aren't involved. People just run around corners and shoot each other in the back with near-instant TTK, the only visible difference here being that it happens from above sometimes due to the vertical mobility. But nothing seems to differentiate the basic gameplay from "instakilling people from outside their field of view". Repeat until match is over. Hooray?

TTK was pretty low in the first one, the major difference was that there's a pretty high skill ceiling in terms of using mobility to achieve objectives faster. Even Attrition has "objectives" in terms of getting more points from killing mooks, so it was still way better than TDM.

Most people sucked at it and waddled slowly across the ground, so that's probably more of what you're seeing, especially since it's console streams.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Why would anyone dislike the AI? They didn't act like players and made nice window dressing.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 20, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carecat posted:

Why would anyone care about the AI? They didn't act like players and made nice window dressing.

They mattered in Attrition. I loved the AI dudes because they weren't pilots, just regular grunts and it made you feel like the coolest super soldier as you bounced around with your jump pack and piloted a giant god drat mech while they tried to defend points. TF1 made you feel like such a god drat bad-rear end it was incredible.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

They mattered in Attrition. I loved the AI dudes because they weren't pilots, just regular grunts and it made you feel like the coolest super soldier as you bounced around with your jump pack and piloted a giant god drat mech while they tried to defend points. TF1 made you feel like such a god drat bad-rear end it was incredible.

Pretty much this. It's a massive step back if they don't include Attrition.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Titanfall was great because everything about it was it's own spin on the typical FPS tropes that made poo poo fun and refreshing, I have a feeling they might just be pandering to that now considering how fast the first game dropped off. Maybe they felt because it strayed too far from tradition that it died. I don't know.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Carecat posted:

Why would anyone care about the AI? They didn't act like players and made nice window dressing.

Levels need to be large enough to facilitate titan combat, which in turn makes the levels too large for pilots if they're the only on-foot soldiers running around, especially in 6v6 (now down to 5v5 in Titanfall 2). The presence of AI grunts, spectres and turrets helped populate levels that would have otherwise been barren and empty, and contributed to the atmosphere and action available to players. There was always something happening and something to do no matter where you were on the map, and as we're seeing in Titanfall 2 it can get really boring when you strip all of that stuff away and just have wide open levels with nothing actually happening.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Wazzit posted:

I made a BOYS clan held over from COD goons, under Boy Team Super Xtreme. What's your GT?

VolcanicVents. Yeah, I'm really creative with my online personae!

E: I don't understand how I can be so much worse at this one than the original.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Volcanic Vents posted:

VolcanicVents. Yeah, I'm really creative with my online personae!

E: I don't understand how I can be so much worse at this one than the original.

Haha, same, I'm Wazzit on XBL. I'll add you.

The movement is slowed down a bit and I don't think the maps are all that great, the TF1 maps were better designed for wallrunning and mobility. These maps are too open and a lot of the Titan and Pilot combat feel too segregated from each other since there's really not a real good way to combat Titans out in the open other than chain grappling onto them. Feels like a different game at times, especially with Bounty Hunt not being that great of a mode.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Wazzit posted:

The shoulder mounted laser on the Ion Titan is really satisfying when you land the hit, it's like they've attached a OHK sniper rifle to your Titan. Just be sure to manage your energy properly, I'm an idiot and just realized last night that the alternate fire (ADSing) on the primary Ion weapon drains your ability energy for vortex shield and the shoulder laser, using the default attack (hip firing) does not drain energy and having multiple shoulder blasts in the pocket against Titans is super useful, especially for pilots taking pot shots at you with the charge beam.
Another super useful thing to remember about the Ion is that hitting the crit spot on a titan with your primary weapon will refill your energy reserves. So you can open with a shot of the shoulder laser, and get a bunch of crits on a titan and refill the shoulder laser pretty quickly. It really works in setting up a nice combo system that's more than just waiting for a cooldown.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Idgi, Bounty Hunt just looks like Attrition mode except you have to cash in your kills.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
The first one was one of the most fun FPS games I've ever played and I've been playing those since like the original DOOM.
Isn't respawn the team of activision guys who broke off from the CoD team or whatever?

Zing! I was right! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respawn_Entertainment

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 20, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Gee you get like one loving titan in a game and it's dead in seconds

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Any ideas why they took nuclear ejections out?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Because they were fun

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sounds about right. Game feels like it was designed by a team that hated the original.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm sure it's been said already, but I just played it for the first time and why the gently caress did they change the Titanfall mechanic so drastically.

I've played two matches and haven't gotten enough kills to actually pilot a Titan. They made it so that you aren't guaranteed at least one Titan per match. They made it actually more difficult to get the thing that it's in the name of the game, the thing that makes the game unique in the first place.

What?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Seeing the way things were changed in the beta, I am getting a feeling they are going to do something crazy with the Smart Pistol when they reveal it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah honestly feels like they screwed almost everything thing up that made the first one enjoyable, worst parts though are the lowered TTK which makes playing as a Pilot really unpleasant(and why I haven't bothered with a COD game since Black Ops 1), and pretty much every single change they've made to Titans, all of which feel incredibly unnecessary

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah honestly feels like they screwed almost everything thing up that made the first one enjoyable, worst parts though are the lowered TTK which makes playing as a Pilot really unpleasant(and why I haven't bothered with a COD game since Black Ops 1), and pretty much every single change they've made to Titans, all of which feel incredibly unnecessary

Oh man, come on Respawn. How do you gently caress this up so bad?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Ok I got a chance to play Bounty and it's easier to get a titan in that match rather than Hardened Control point.

Still, what the hell?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Night Blade posted:

I'm hoping that a lot of the changes we're seeing are test-build only. TTK and weapon balance can be adjusted before launch, and titan and pilot unlocks can be unhidden if they're not present.

One of the maps feels huge and harder to wall run in. You can, but it feels much harder to chain them together and I'm often finding myself exposed on a rooftop with a lot of ground between me and the next building, and not necessarily something easy to grapple to.

Bounty mode doesn't seem as fun as attrition either :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Night Blade posted:

After a couple hours to think it over, it's not really that bad actually, but it's definitely still got enough issues that they honestly should delay the game at this point to fix things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
This game better be great! Titanfall was great, Titanfall 2 should be better!! Augh!!!!!