Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ape Agitator posted:

The only thing that struck me as strange was that they suggest the single player personalizes the Titan when everything about the series shows how fragile and disposable they are. Like "this game it's all about Captain Kirk and his bond with the red shirts on the away team". Unless it's a continuous consciousness that hops into the next Titan, it seems like it wouldn't fit the gameplay.

I mean, if your titan doesn't die, the title is not a significant thing because you never have to call one in. The one you've got, "Steve", is with you from beginning to end.

If you read into the MP dialogue it's one Titan AI that gets plugged into new chassis they're apparently building for you in real time (and for some reason speeding up when you kill poo poo)

The logistics make no sense but who cares, game is dope. Call of Duty is much more realistic, in real life soldiers have to shoot a few bad guys before they're allowed to call for air support, airplanes are expensive and you need to teach those idiot grunts not to be freeloaders :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

el B posted:

Because I find it corny as gently caress.

Being friends with robots is the heart of good science fiction games

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

So far the multiplayer seems like a step back from the first game in every way, which sucks, because I loved TF1 enough to get gen 10 :( It's slower, clunkier, and the audio work doesn't seem nearly as good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Refunded this poo poo, it really just makes me pine for the first game. I think a lot of the design decisions remind of the MW1->MW2 leap, with an elegant core design cluttered up by a lot of gimmick abilities and instant deaths. The maps don't seem built for any kind of wallrun flow. I think they must have panicked after the technical test and tried to speed up movement, but it was too late to alter the map geometry.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I dropped this game at launch for feeling immensely more cluttered, slow, and lovely than TF1, picking it up again on sale. Let's see how it turned out!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Lmbo at the thought of anyone thinking that Titanfall 2 is somehow slower than Titanfall 1

If you think these maps have wallrun routes like TF1 idk man

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's weird that Titans don't have shields, they feel a lot more disposable now. Also the ability that makes people disappear for a little while is really stupid

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Black Ops 3 was a great multiplayer game and I put almost as much time into it as TF1. But then again it feels like it owed a lot of its design to TF1.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I love using the SMR in competitive MP, it's suboptimal but so much fun. Even when I die I look awesome on the killcam

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Flight Core's definitely balls right

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I miss quad rocket Stryder so much :( Come back, quad rockets

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

It bothers me immensely that they reused the model for the Leadwall despite the design making no sense as a shotgun. I miss my beachballs of death, Ronin would be 100x more fun with the real triple threat.

:yeah: And you'd get to hear your gun going donk doonk dunk

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

as someone who missed TF1 was Titanfall 1 better in any way besides fanboy grass is always greener poo poo

or is it just grass is always greener poo poo

The launch maps were miles better, the Pilot kits had less bullshit (phase dash :cmon:, fewer and more restricted sonar abilities) and the Titans had less going on but far more customizability. All the Titan primaries were viable and good and it had a couple that haven't returned in TF2 (arc cannon, quad rocket). It was genuinely fun to master each Titan weapon as part of the regeneration challenges. Titans were less disposable, with recharging energy shields and no huge swingy cores to melt you in just a few seconds, but this could lead to dismal games where one team had an unbreakable Titan advantage.

The audio and presentation in Attrition were better — Grunts had a lot more to say, you'd catch little vignettes like Spectres executing Grunts or guys fighting inside buildings, some of the maps had special scripted events for one side winning/losing.

The skill ceiling for pilots was probably a bit higher, which was a mixed bag, because good players would absolutely dump on new players.

Burn Cards were silly but they offered much more interesting rewards than killstreaks. You could turn into a Spectre or be permanently cloaked for one life or attract Grunts so they'd follow you around in a little posse. You couldn't depend on getting them, though, so I don't miss 'em.

TF2 has more interesting pilot gear, way more content, and honestly it's probably better to have fixed Titan loadouts. Also an apparently superb single player campaign!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jeebs how can that sound awful? It makes Titans a mode you play in, just like pilot, instead of a big thug with a timer that's doomed by the time your cockpit turns on*

*worst case scenario

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My biggest disappointment in TF2 is backing off the AI presence and "living battlefield" feel.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I'll say the one thing the first game did head and shoulders over the second game was presentation and immersion with poo poo like all the animations being first-person and having AI minions show up in every game mode rather than just 3 (and in which 2 of them they're always enemies). Beyond that it's really just personal preference, like I personally preferred the overall aesthetic of the first game, and I liked being able to fully customize your Titan. Old-school rodeo was a blast too. Overall I'd definitely say TF2 is the better game to play, but there's just a bunch of very specific things I prefer from the first game that aren't necessarily bad in the second game, but I just liked the first game's version of it for one reason or the other.

:yeah:

My feelings also.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A few days with this game and I'm liking it a bit more! I am still absolute garbage trash at it compared to TF1, but I played TF1 from the beta and I'm jumping into this a year late, so hey.

Frothy narrated an hour long video written by players who preferred TF1. I agree with a lot of it! Especially the sense that TF1's design was much more coherent.

I'm still enjoying TF2 and I like the easy bunnyhopping. Curious what you guys think :shobon:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The best part of Brink was the Brink thread's desperate damage control (iirc it was run by a hired rep).

e: new page, great

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Wazzit posted:

Ion was good 6 months ago. She's been nerfed since, reduction to laser shot cone, as well as the shot's damage and you can no longer double tap with it. It's a bout a 5 second wait but it feels longer than that. Also it's hard for me to use Ion in Attrition when I know I could really put some mileage as a Monarch, so I guess Monarch was also kind of a nerf?

I just picked up this game so I missed the pre-nerf version but Laser Shot is still ridiculous good. I'm surprised it doesn't have a very short chargeup like the Charge Rifle.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 14, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Followed by an hour long video of suggestions on how to make TF2 into TF1, absolutely jam-packed with outdated info. :laffo:

Improving a game is never a bad idea :smugdog:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Why the gently caress is this game matchmaking me into games where the game is half over and my team has half the opponents score? I had this happen now 4 times in a row. Then it counts the game on my map w/l record? If I look at the score and leave immediately it still counts as a loss? What the Christ?

I just realized it was doing this.

Notice the big popup which says "you've joined a losing match in progress, this loss will not be recorded?"

Play the game out and chill. Don't quit. (The reason you're getting matched into these is because people like you are dropping out of them!)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Cooked frags are the funniest poo poo in pvp

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Somebody should go back to PVP cause the PC playerbase is dead :smith:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 27, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Phase Shift + Ordnance Expert + frags causes more rage than anything I've done in this game

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

When this game is good it's all right, but when it's (mostly) wasting a huge arsenal of cool but mediocre futureguns against the same 4 players with Alternators and CARs in match after dead-matchmaking-pool match, it feels like Titanfall: Ascend

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I do think TF1 multi looked and played better. The two games remind me a lot of CoD4 and Modern Warfare 2 - the sequel has a lot more stuff in it, and it'll probably be the one most people remember as the Titanfall, but the original had a purity and cohesion to it. That might partly be because I really enjoyed the fully customizable Titans and the bigger focus on the 'living battlefield' with panicking Grunts running around underfoot.

Also the music.

e: don't miss the multiplayer campaign at all though

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 4, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's a Madden crossover called Tight End Fall

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I was gonna joke that without titans the game's just Fall but if there's no wallrunning you can't get anywhere to fall from

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kinda looked like the franchise was headed this way after the design decisions they made in TF2, but it's sad to see it happen.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I won't disagree there, Titanfall 1 was in many ways a proof of concept that led to Titanfall 2 which was much more polished both on the single-player and multiplayer sides.

Ehhh a lot of stuff was a real regression. The trend from Titanfall 1 to 2 was pulling back on the grunt AI, cutting down the sense of 'ambient battle' and the associated audio, ditching Attrition in favor of pushing Bounty Hunt, reducing the survivability and presence of Titans, building maps that were less suited to wallrunning (at least until the DLC), adding more powerful abilities, and, at least in the earlier builds, slowing players way down.

Draw all those trendlines a little further and you end up at Apex Legends: no AI at all, no Titans, focus on abilities, no wallrunning. (And if Apex Legends has no music then the soundtrack quality is a downward trend too :v: )

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I agree that TF2 turned out really fast and fun (faster than TF1 by and large), but it lost a lot of what I liked about the first game in doing it. I think it became a better arena shooter but a less coherent game, if that makes any loving sense.

It's got more Stuff in it but a lot of it detracts from the core flow. Pilots phasing around, a lot of ways to wallhack, and faster TTK give you more ways to instantly die in unexpected ways. The whole battery/shield system for Titans (why don't they just ship your titan with a battery in it? TWO batteries in it so it can have shields?) never feels very elegant. Purely attritional Titan combat, for better or worse (and in some ways it IS better), makes your Titan a short-lived powerup rather than a peer to the pilot gameplay. Fixed Titan loadouts give them much more of a personality, but you lose the fun of making a Titan loadout 'your own' or working to master all the weapons.

I don't think you can reasonably argue that TF2 attrition has nearly as much audio as in TF1. AI density is lower and by the end of the match it's all Reapers all the time.

I liked TF2 as a shooter, but TF1 felt like it was really pushing the 'living battlefield' and the Titan/pilot interaction, and I think I cared about that more. Which brings me back to the core of my complaint — if you extend a lot of the decisions TF2 made, or tried to make before huge fan backlash, you end up at Apex Legends.

And the TF1 soundtrack was dope.

Sparticle posted:

I'm still mad that they skipped the Arc Cannon in Tf2

And the quad rockets. Let me repeatedly doom myself by panic shooting at my feet you cowards

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 5, 2019

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah I doubt Respawn can sustain Apex Legends and the Star Wars game plus another major project. Every time you read stories about game studios collapsing, there's invariably some 'second project' that they end up scrapping when they realize they need all hands on deck for the current game. It sounds like they scrapped a quick TF3 on Source, so the whole thing needs to be redone on a new engine, which is not a quick or simple task.

If they have any plans for TF3 it's far on the back burner.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That reminds me that one of the tricks they used in TF1 (and I assume TF2) to make shooting feel good was expanding the hitbox/hitscan at long range. Bullets got 'fatter' as they traveled, so you didn't need precise aim to get hits at range. I don't know if it's placebo or what but I've always felt like this is really obvious on the L-STAR, which scores so many kills I didn't earn.

Or maybe this is just single player only and I'm imagining everything.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I loved a lot about TF2 but I'll be forever sad that we didn't get a sequel to TF1 that really tripled down on the AI battles and the grunt audio. Imagine how cool the added TF2 enemies like Spectres and Reapers would be if they actually interacted with each other and the battlefield instead of basically being moba creeps.

TF1 just went that extra mile on the immersion front, from the 100% first person animations to the audio. And I miss the titan fights.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I refunded in the first week because I hated the changes from TF1 so much :angel:

I got it on sale later and had some good times, it was worth it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nearly every gun is fun and viable in some way but (at least last time I played) there's nothing to really match the 201 and CAR for pure efficiency.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You can run enhanced self destruct on Northstar and when you’re gonna die you hit another Titan with the grapple trap, dash at them, and eject. Huge rear end in a top hat move but it works!

Just don’t get sync killed, that’ll stop your self destruct from going off.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In TF1 titans had regenerating shields so plasma railgun was valuable for its ability to punch through and deal chips of permanent damage. In TF2 all damage is sticky so it's a bit less of an advantage.

Bring back quad rockets you cowards.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Man, Titanfall 1 was a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

dragonshardz posted:

If I were to stream, I'd rather it be an anime version of the person I want to be at the end of the transitioning process, rather than the face I hate seeing immortalized in VOD.

This is as good a point as the "I want to keep my real face private" one and I'm ashamed I didn't think of either one.