Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Anecdotal but I feel like a lot of games have been trending towards this recently, especially since Overwatch came out

It annoys the hell out of me because I hate being restricted on how I look based on what equipment/skills I pick :mad:

It's been around for a long time, but Team Fortress 2 set a standard for recognizable class designs in recent history. Then they hosed it all up by releasing five billion hats and all the rest of that junk.

Knifegrab posted:

Though in some ways it sucks, its good in another because it means you know how to engage someone once you see who they are.

This is the basic rationale. It conveys information to the player that can make the actual gameplay more fun and skillful. Whether that's a worthwhile tradeoff is partially a matter of taste and partially a matter of what the rest of the game is like. My sense is that Titanfall is so fast-paced that those kinds of visual cues aren't tremendously helpful, but maybe I'm just a bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Huh, I always thought Attrition was very much a secondary mode. I just wanted to mix it up with enemy pilots. The grunts were cute window dressing, and Attrition could be OK as a change of pace, but the main attraction for me was fighting directly against other people.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

The network code is alpha. The game is probably nearly completely finished by now

Game should default to being in a titan. Should only be a pilot when you lose your titan and then you gotta steal one or go back to spawn or something. Maybe put a salvage class titan in there or something idk.

Terrain should be deformable by titans crashing through buildings too

Why make a robot game that uses robots like a powerup instead of the main thing

There could certainly be room out there for a game like what you're describing, but that's not what Titanfall is, or at least not the precedent set by the first one. I wouldn't even describe titans as "powerups," they're more like an extension of your loadout. There are obviously ways in which they're stronger than pilots, but they're also more vulnerable in some ways. Basically the two modes are supposed to complement each other on relatively equal footing, and I felt like they did a surprisingly good job of managing that.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Without a console I can't try myself, but what I'm hearing here is that the objective based modes in this multiplayer competitive shooter discourage players from competitively shooting at each other. I don't think it's surprising that people are doing badly at the objectives then.