Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Antoine Silvere posted:

So I actually went to the EA Play event at E3 today since it's like 20 minutes from work and open to the public and I got to play a few rounds of Titanfall 2! Here's a brain dump :siren:hot exclusive:siren: of what I got to play:

General Stuff
- There was a new game mode called "Bounty Hunt" where you would go to designated areas on the map and shoot ai or players to build up a meter and when that meter was full it spawned a "boss titan" that you had to kill to get points. Eventually the team with the most points won. Game mode seemed alright, but I think most of us were busy trying out all the new stuff in the game.
- Did not see any reference to burn cards whatsoever so they are either gone or are being reworked or maybe just haven't been shown yet. Who knows! :v:
- There is no passive timer to get your Titan any more; it's now just a gauge that fills up by killing grunts and players and gives you your titan when it's full. It persists when you die so it doesn't seem like that big of a change since if you have eyes in your head at all you'll still get your titan pretty fast.
- The different Titans all had set abilities and weapons, i.e. the big titan ("Scorch" they called it) was locked into a specific set of weapons and abilities. Dunno if this is how it's going to be in the full game or if it was just a demo thing but it sounded like they were trying to give each titan a distinct feel so it might be a conscious choice.

Titans
- The first new Titan I got to play around with the the big fire one, aka "Scorch". It was a big hulking thing kinda like the Ogre from the first one. Here's the abilities and weapons:
--- Didn't seem like it could dash. Could still run though.
--- Main weapon was a one-shot grenade launcher/mortar thing. Had a fiery AoE and decent range.
--- The tactical ability was a vortex shield that was red and instead of holding the bullets in place it melted them. It would also damage titans/pilots/grunts/whatever it touched.
--- The ordinance was a ground slam that made a straight line of fire on the ground that damaged anything in it's path.
--- They added a new thing you could do which, for both titans, was something you would throw out. For this one it was a gas canister that would release gas in an area that you could explode with your gun/fire line shot.
--- Core ability (ultimate, basically) was the "Fire Core" which makes the titan slam the ground with both arms and sends out a cone of fire in front of it.

The other titan was called "Ion". This one seemed similar to the thin zippy titan from the first one (Strider). They also said this titan has some kind of energy mechanic that all its weapons rely on but I didn't really notice it. Maybe I just wasn't shooting enough??
--- Could actually dash, but seemed to only be able to dash once? There was a bar that drained pretty quick when i dashed i dunno :shrug:
--- Main weapon was a rapid-fire pulse gun. Shot orbs that did meh damage, had to focus titans to do any real damage.
--- Tactical ability was the vortex shield from the first game; hold up shield, catch bullets, throw them back.
--- Ordinance was a shoulder-mounted laser that was very precise and that you could charge up to do more damage.
--- Deployable thing was a set of laser trip-wire mines that fanned out and linked up to each other. Anything that crossed the laser (that wasn't an ally) made the mines explode.
--- Core ability was "Laser Core" or something. You charge up a big fuckin laser and shoot if from your chest. Lasts a decent amount of time too.

Pilot Loadout
- They had three set loadouts available to play there. First one was the weird robot-looking guy someone mentioned a few posts down. Main weapon was the carbine from the first gun. Doesn't seemed to have changed much
- The anti-titan weapon was the mag launcher from the first game. Now it's a two-shot burst? whatever
- The explosive was the frag grenade. It blows up
- The pilot ability was the grappling hook. This was fun to use! It will definitely take some getting used to in order to do cool stuff with it, but it's still fun zipping around and Rico Rodriguez-ing pilots and grunts.

- The other loadout I tried was the sniper class. Main weapon was a new weapon called the "double sniper" (or something). It's like a sniper rifle, but if fires two shots at once, and the shots can ricochet. Seemed cool
- Didn't actually get to try the anti-titan weapon because that game was so short :smith:
- Explosive was the black hole bomb you see in the trailer. Does what it sounds like it does: sucks people in for you to shoot at.
- Pilot ability was this decoy thing. You used it and it sends out a decoy of you that goes out in a straight line. The multiplayer trailer seemed to imply it made you invisible or something but I didn't notice that happening. :shrug:

- Didn't get a chance to play the other loadout but it had a new weapon that was an energy SMG. the pilot ability was this sonar ninja star you could throw and it would give you wall hacks in a radius around it.

Minor stuff
- New map was called "Burn Town" or something dumb like that. It seemed pretty big with some underground tunnels but i didn't really get a chance to explore it. Seemed cool though!
- There was a loading screen tip that mentioned energy canisters and being able to pick them up and give them to friendly titans. Nothing like that showed up when I played but maybe it's something for another game mode?
- Game looks a lot better than the first one. Maybe they switched to source 2, lol
- Game felt pretty polished. I'm sure it'll change a bit before release but it felt like they could release it today and it would play fine.
- While waiting in line I saw some pre-game trailer talking about a most of the stuff in the trailers. I also saw a brief shot of what looked like a camo customization screen for your titan so it looks like you can finally do that in this game!

tl;dr: :words: Titanfall 2 looks quite good and was fun to play! Hopefully it doesn't get too buried in the battlefield 1 hype, especially since what I saw of battlefield 1 there made it seem like another bog standard battlefield game :effort:

How quickly did the Titans die? In the trailer their life bars were going down in a flash but I figure that's just to be dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can you grapple onto any surface or are there predefined points on the map?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Robot on robot violence is tearing appart the AI community, and I for one am disgusted at the way popular media portrays it all as some kind of "game." #BotLivesMatter

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm hoping for more weapons. I get that they want every weapon to fill a specific niche and avoid the Call of Duty "Here are ten different but essentially identical assault rifles" but I dunno, I kinda like using the playstyle I'm best at, while still having something else to look at filling up the bottom-right corner of the screen for a while.

I hope they go with some more interesting gun types in general, rather than the standard AR/sniper/shotgun combo. Some of the new throwables definitely look more exotic, and the first Titanfall already has pretty sci-fi weapons for its mechs, but the on-foot primaries were very rote and CODlike.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
With only 7 hour total in Titanfall 1, I've started playing again and am often at the top of the scoreboard. I'm in the 20s range and I think the second lowest level was about 40 or 50.

This on PC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ninjahedgehog posted:

My hope is that the campaign ends up killing the main character (it's the dudes who made Modern Warfare, it's not like they haven't done it before) but your consciousness gets transferred to Keffiyehbot and you play as him for the rest of the game. Titanfall 3 becomes a robot buddy cop movie.

I mean, tell me this dude doesn't deserve his own game:

They're really leaning into the robot characters which is a great idea. I love the part where the small launch deck robot salutes the big stompy robot in the the SP trailer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So what are the factions this time? I vaguely remember hearing that it wasn't IMC vs Militia, and the factions look like red and brown guys vs green and gray guys who kinda look like a mix between the first game's factions.

Bad robits and good robits.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Digirat posted:

Missed titanfall 1 but this is looking really good. Unfortunately behind the spectacle it looks like it's yet another game with incredibly low TTK, frequent instakills and shooting people in the back a lot, which I used to have the patience for but kinda don't anymore. What was titanfall 1 like by comparison?

TTK's fast but not COD fast, and the fact that the maps are fairly vast, coupled with your movement and gear options, means you can actually be pretty survivable. I'm talking about TF1 here and I assume TF2 will be much the same.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Psion posted:

No game, not even Titanfall, is worth $250

I mean unless you were the one person in the world already planning your Titanfall cosplay, in which case ...?

Hey man, everyone will want to dress up as Faceless Soldierman #6455 this Halloween anime convention.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What time is the stream supposed to be again?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, it's literally in under 10 minutes well OK then.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Antoine Silvere posted:

Wishin I had a PS4 right now :smith: Dealing with the controls would be worth it

Eh, they might have a marketing-oriented open beta closer to release.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

Clearly a bunch of non-titanfall players. I don't really know if we were supposed to know who those players were but none of them seemed that good. What a waste.

Wait, you mean you've never heard of Bl00dSniper69? :confused:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wazzit posted:

Was able to get the beta early, doing some streaming

https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute

Well you're actually wallrunning and using all the mobility available to you so you're already better than all those MLG e-athletes they showed the other day.

For real tho, game looks pretty Shaggy2Dope.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, I hope Titanfall 2 isn't DOA on PC. I'm planning to make this my Multiplayer shooter of the year and pick BF1 up at a later date, probably after they've flushed all that DLC through their systems and everything I've seen looks incredibly fun. The new Battlefield looks good too, but also not divergent enough from 4 whereas all the additions to TF2 look like they really shake things up a notch.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Carecat posted:

Ability and appearance are tied together? Why? It's not like the guy with the robo arm looks like he is stealthy.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird design decision to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I remember that they said in some earlier Q&A that it'll be back, but changed in some way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Idgi, Bounty Hunt just looks like Attrition mode except you have to cash in your kills.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird, I watched the GB quicklook and Jeff seemed to be getting his Titan pretty frequently, despite being mostly terrible. I really do hope they have a PC beta before launch so I can see for myself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

I also still dont' understand amped weapons. Also its weird that grenades are an ability and they "recharge"

For whatever reason, that's something I'm seeing more and more in shooters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol imma wait until the full actual game is out not a beta based on a splinter from back in June but I'm a crazy retard, hth

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SUNKOS posted:

I'm sure it will be a completely different game when it launches in two months.

:same:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm in a holding pattern until release. If it's good, I'll get TF2. If it's not, I'll get BF1, or just wait until it's cheaper and all the DLC is out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd be happy if they got rid of amped weapons altogether. Something that just gives your guns more damage sounds boring anyway.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, should I still be excited about this game or is it time for a meltdown?

Like every game, wait and see, ya jabroni.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Keep in mind that all or most non-gameplay DLC will be free so they could probably just add Attrition as a mode in one of their updates.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That is a lot of missiles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

In Training posted:

They should remove sniper rifles from all fps games

:agreed:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

Was the sniper in the tech test hitscan?
I just watched a video on the beta weapons and definitely not. In fact its bullet drop is almost comical.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BF1 will still have a healthy community 12 months down the line by sheer merit of being the newest Battlefield game. TF2 might not. I'll probably buy Titanfall near release so I can get in while the going's good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goddamn, I think that Attrition video completely sold me on the game. And for those worried about traversal, that dude must have gone for minutes without touching the ground at one point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I still really dislike the inclusion of Amped Weapons, especially with the maybe shorter TTK.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwE_05W04o

appperently attrition mode is back. looks cool and like old attrition mode. I am content.

Tone is absolutely the only Titan I will ever use.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ninjahedgehog posted:

So is appearance not linked to pilot ability anymore?
We can only hope.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sure didn't expect them to go the FMV route with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTGqERtbeI

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BT is gonna die, so hard.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Polygon gave Shadow Warrior 2 a 5.0 while barely talking about the gameplay at all, who cares about Polygon?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
im beginning to think Polygon is bad and should mostly be ignored...

E: but the best was when they gave a Tropico game a bad score because the reviewer didn't like that playing as a Banana Republic dictator made him feel bad

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The thing that's particularly amusing about this is that it's entirely possible to play as a decent leader who gives everyone free housing and high-school level education and isn't particularly corrupt. That's not even particularly hard to accomplish.

Never let the facts get in the way of a self-righteous story I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeff Gerstmann mentioned that he liked it a lot in a stream today, couldn't stop thinking about it in fact, and he's a straight shooter.