Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I've never got the appeal of Warpfall. So risky for so little payoff. The dome is invaluable.

The only use I can see for it is when your personal tactics rely heavily on killing Titans by dropping your own on them, instead of loving about with the anti-Titan weaponry that Pilots get to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Been playing for a few weeks, somehow at pilot 45 and tone 4.0+.

I have gotten decent at Tone, and remain awful poo poo at everything else in this game. Still learning how to skip my pilot around like the mad rabbit they deserve to be. The L-STAR is fun as gently caress though.

E: Also melee in this game is hot loving poo poo. I can't count the number of times I've lost a doomstate melee duel despite pressing the melee key first.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

gently caress this game, i'm done

melee is broken bullshit and matchmaking seems dead set on putting me up against teams that just utterly dumpster mine because lol gently caress fun

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

FD being a co-op mode is probably going to get me to reinstall this game after rage uninstalling a couple weeks ago.

Getting dropped into games full of nothing but sweaty tryhards sucks rear end when you just want to have fun and learn how to Monarch.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

monarch is hands down the most versatile of the titans for FD. I run countermeasure/battery thief and EMP/maelstrom/accelarator - with a marked tendency for the apex upgrade to roll missile racks. it's kind of a tossup between accelerator and chassis for me, the extra dps from the former is nice but the extra bar of HP from the latter really helps on waves 4/5 on hard+. accelerator also kind of encourages dumping entire mags into your target vs. being able to spread your shots out with some tapfire.

you're kind of like an unholy fusion of legion and ronin; i tend to take on the off-roamer role and go hard after freshly dropped mortar/nuke titans. the ability to regen shields with smoke while you're working up to a new core by stealing all the batteries ever is fun as hell.

the only downside is you really, really don't do well against scorches and it's difficult to take on more than a couple titans at a time.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is there a list of the upgrades for Titans in FD online anywhere? I'm at work and am waiting to leave so I can go crush some AI and would like to find out what I can outfit my dear Scorch with.

a couple pages back:

Flipswitch posted:

The design of Rise is really good, like a desert facility under the sand.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 2, 2017

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

honestly if you want to grenade the gently caress out of a titan just use the softball or smr. the mgl is pretty dogshit and you do far more damage with a chargehack rifle.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

i tried ronin on FD yesterday and went full macho aggressive flanker.

i had so much goddamn fun killing the poo poo out of everything and REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing across the map with my triple dash.

left everyone else to defend core while just hunting down and murdering every single goddamn mortar.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Mozambuff is good. Grapple nerf sucks.

Rest is fine. I'd like if they rounded out the map rotation in FD with the rest of the maps.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'd love a Commander mode in Titanfall 3. Go a bit gonzo with larger, multi-stage maps and give the person playing as the Commander the ability to control where the Grunts/other support comes in at and where they go to.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

:rip: Respawn.

Doesn't matter if it's next year or next decade, they're doomed. They're already on the long slippery slide toward being shut down for not making googolbux because EA's hamfisted cashgrabbing bullshit sours their fanbase.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm betting that the animation is terrible because all Respawn did was get paid by Nexon for a license to make the game, use the Titanfall IP, and get provided art assets (models, textures, etc.) without actually doing any work on the game.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Scorch is guaranteed mvp every time on every map that isn't homestead. Even then you could probably manage it if you played your abilities well.

Inferno Shield the drones. mmmmmmmmmmmmmvp.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Drain 001 posted:

That is the best feeling when you get the whole column. Also hello Dragonshardz :)

hello friend!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I dunno, I'm drowning in electric smoke just from churning through cores.

Speaking of e-smoke, being a Monarch on that map and pumping out Maelstrom-boosted smoke on the drones feels so drat good.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Philman posted:

The melee distance in this game is bullshit.

Homing boot best pistol NA 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I definitely don't want a Titanfall with more than 12 players per match, but If TF3 has bigger maps and more grunts per map I would be happy. Also more voice lines for grunts, and maybe an optional "Commander" mode so one person on each team can play as eye-in-the-sky commanding the grunts so you have a better chance of seeing intelligent tactical moves from the grunts.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Uh...hi?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Philman posted:

1 join the discord

2 somebody post some good loadouts there is so much here. i dont know what to pair with what.

CAR, the anti-titan laser or EMP ball thing, your choice of sidearm, frags, the stealthy jump boost, grapple.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

Frontier Defense is still filled with giant morons trying to be hanjo and spending their money on 30 nuke rodeos

fwiw nuke ronin is fun as gently caress and adding nuke rodeos into the mix is fun too

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

Oh no doubt Ronin can be fun but it usually attracts a special kind of player that spends most of their time in the dropship circling the map

sometimes you just want to be That Guy doing dumb poo poo and having more fun-per-minute than anyone else

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ZeusCannon posted:

I don't like battle Royale. But the idea of a Titanfall battle Royale with pilots just loving blitzing a over and Titans on a huge map is kinda aight

The topic of a Battle Royale mode came up on the Titanfall subreddit a few days ago and it was actually pretty productive. The idea I had, which people seemed to like, was the in addition to the hundredish pilots, you'd also have the usual array of grunts, Spectres, Reapers, etc. Pilots would initially drop in from orbit with their Titans (like in LTS) and instead of a "killer storm" forming a hard limit for the play space, there would be a soft limit in the form of a consistently shrinking area in which a dropship would land. Said dropship would have limited slots, and you could win by either killing everyone else OR being the guy(s) who manage to evac in the dropship.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's a pretty good idea but a game like Titanfall with a TTK being so low would be massively annoying when you die seconds within the match and have to keep finding new ones.

Limited number of respawns, maybe? There's no reason that you have to have only one life. Start pilots of with nothing but a pistol and knife, make 'em scrounge for guns.

I think Battle Royale as a gamemode could work for Titanfall, but not as the only one.

As for Titanfall in Frostbite...yeah, I don't see it being as much of an issue as cramming the RPG playstyle into the engine. It worked pretty well as the engine for the Mirror's Edge presequel.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The main thing I miss from Titanfall 1 is the loving detail given to the Grunts and their wider range of combat barks. The pain points of the multiplayer campaign aside, the Grunts in TF1 really felt like they were allied with either team and pursuing the same goals as the Pilots.

Respawn really had something special there and it's missing in TF2, which is a drat shame.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm downloading AL to give it a try but the lack of wallrunning and Titans, plus reports so far, are certainly reinforcing my skepticism.

If Respawn actually wanted to do a BR, why not do it in a way that still includes the tentpole elements of their only big IP?

I would be much more excited for a BR where you have both Titan and Pilot gameplay. Drop in as a Titan like in LTS, when the Titan dies (or you leave it) you're a Pilot with nothing but a SERE Kit and jumpjets - which is when the "scrounge for weaponry" mechanic could come in, by lifting weapons off of dead Grunts and so on.

Instead of the boring genre-standard of "killer gas forces everyone into the circle", have the circle be the ever-narrowing landing zone for a dropship that can only carry as many pilots as can be in a squad. You win by being the squad that makes it to the dropship AND survives liftoff.

Mordja posted:

Random thought: is it possible that the reason AL doesn't have all the wallrunning and movement options is because EA's famously shoddy netcode wouldn't be able to keep up with 60 players running and jumping all over the place? I'm just asking questions here, folks.

It's not impossible, but Respawn used the same engine (Source) so I don't think it's likely.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Trip report so far: Playing through the required training. Wanted to jumpjet at the base of the hill, could not. Felt bad. Movement is OK, much like playing a Pilot and forgetting to wallrun.

Guns sound decent and are accurate. FrothyOmen is wrong that this is "not Titanfall", it's absolutely set in the universe and is a shooter so it ought to be! MRVNs, Blisk, RE-45, Alternator...it's Titanfall.

E: Training map feels like you ought to be able to jumpjet to the MRVN P4-FNDR unit. The training dummy has a fricking jump-pack. Why did Respawn let focus groups tell them parkour was "too confusing" or "random and split-second"? Why do I have to holster my guns to run at full speed?

E2: I HAVE A JUMP PACK. WHY CAN'T I USE IT?

E3: I have to choose whether to carry heavy or light ammo? WHY?

E4: Less than three minutes of survival in the first two rounds, both times died to a dude who jumped into midair, froze in space, and killed me. gently caress this, I'm going to go play better games.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 5, 2019

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

This thread has rapidly gotten off track. How 'bout dem shootmans?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Unsinkabear posted:

I came here because of this! Just pulled the trigger knowing nothing about the game, because I heard it was good and is having a little Renaissance due to Apex. Also it has giant robots, and I miss HAWKEN.

What do I need to know?

Speed is life, Scorch is king.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

I dunno, that looks good until it cut to the apparent real-time stuff and it looks really beneath the usual Respawn quality.

It was all rendered in Unreal; not a bit of it was in-game footage.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

They probably won't start working on any new Titanfall stuff until Jedi is out the door - assuming they hold to their anti-crunch beliefs.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

psyman posted:

Well that’s because the multiplayer was a regression in almost every aspect from Titanfall 1, sorry to burst your bubble folks. The garish skins don’t help either and are completely at odds with the original. Even if it had been released earlier in 2016 I don’t believe it would have been more popular, except to PS4 players.

The MP missions in TF1 were about participating in a future war with a rugged utilitarian art design to the world and scripted elements. TF2 is a static virtual arena, like Halo, with a similar bland synthetic clean and sanitised design. The original, while unpolished, was the very first game to attempt a realistic online sci-fi conflict with AI soldiers and vehicles and cinematic elements, that has since been dumped and forgotten. What Halo should have done years earlier, or a sequel to Battlefield 2142.

Titanfall 2 is not a proper followup to Titanfall 1, it’s just a (very well made and inventive) story campaign expansion with an abomination of an MP mode slapped on. I put a good hundred hours in the 360 version, and was eager to play on Xbox One if it hadn’t been a jagged 720p visual mess. After the TF2 campaign, I put a handful of hours into the MP then uninstalled it immediately.

Tell us how you really feel.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'd like it even more if EA cross-licensed the games available on Steam with the ones people own on Origin.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Stan Taylor posted:

I liked the hacking knife from TF1, and being able to rip off a plate and unload a clip into the guts of a titan as a pilot, but I think Titanfall 2 is better in almost every way besides really minor stuff like the first person animations. And even with that the TF2 executions are totally worth giving that up. The "campaign as a series of multiplayer matches" was an interesting idea but there was no meaning to any of it imo. just a bunch of jargon that I didn't care about at all and I couldn't tell you a thing about right now. Plus it very quickly became hard to find games in that queue iirc. Also the burn card system sucked and always felt bad to use.

TF2 is overall better, but I too miss the way the matches felt like larger conflicts in TF1. The grunt audio and AI in TF2 is much...lesser.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm reinstalling!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It helps to go into the game with zero expectation of winning and with a focus on enjoying the moment. Score matters not, just shoot the mans and drop the stompy robots down from orbit!

I am loving terrible at PvP in general and Attrition/TTDM are still fun as gently caress because nothing matters, shoot mans, get shot, you make progress from just playing the game even if you loving suck.

This game is just so much goddamn fun and worth the day spent downloading it again.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah I am finding that the core gameplay is fun enough that it's not really being offset by how bad I'm doing still. There are some games where I just hit my stride and do pretty drat well, and there was even 1 or 2 last night where I've managed to hit the top of my team scoreboard. It's just a huge adjustment and luckily the game is fun enough that it doesn't really matter!

It's a breath of fresh air compared to Destiny 2. If I want mindless, easy shootmans, Frontier Defense. If I wanna test my skillz, PvP. No grind, no bullshit, just drat good gunplay and fun abilities with big stompy robots.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Just reinstalled and have been playing again and one thing that I had missed about this game is how people say GG at the end of a match. :3:

Also for you long timers- what’s the current Titan hotness? I feel like I’m addicted to Scorch but I also feel like it’s been nerfed a bit in MP.

Which Titan do you like best? That one is the current hotness.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

how do I maximize FAST

Learn to bunnyhop and grapplefling, then play Ronin or Monarch. The latter can, if you manage your rearms right, always be boosting.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

If anybody cares given the current mess regarding Lowtax and more domestic abuse:

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have. If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

BNR is cool and good. If it wasn't blocked at work I'd be there right now posting about games and tech poo poo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

PageMaster posted:

Been waiting for this to go on sale and Steam so I can finally play tge campaign, but there are a lot of different DLCs and bundles/packs I'm seeing. Is everything just cosmetics or is anything necessary for adding playable content?

All of the DLC is cosmetics, except for the jumpstart kit, which give you some ingame currency to spend on ynlocked gear early or buying skins

said ingame currency is earned by playing game.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

PageMaster posted:

Oof, hopped into multiplayer to check it out and it was a slaughter. Hopefully the community stays active long enough now that it's out on Steam to actually get somewhat decent.

it's much better with friends, hop in: https://discord.gg/kV2HaFf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sigher posted:

Realest talk.

Was it TF1 or TF2 where you could change the AI voice in your titan? I remember it being TF2... but I can't find the option and I'm remembering having Spyglass from TF1 as my AI voice so it might have been 1.

It was Titanfall 1. In TF2, there are different voices, but those voices are tied to the Prime models.