Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Antoine Silvere posted:

The single player doesn't seem like anything revolutionary but it might be interesting to play through once. Can't be worse than the first game's """story"""

YOU KILL ME, YOU'RE BETTAH. I KILL YOU, I'M BETTAH

can't wait to play Titanfall 2 with you and as many of the old crew as we can get. Charge rifle only, day 1, book it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

IronDoge posted:

While I'm sure this game will be alright I'm not so sure it can compete in the FPS multiplayer category with Battlefield 1 on nearly identical release dates. I might wait a week or two to see how the playerbase fares.

shut up and buy it launch day. one of us. one of us.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Biaga posted:

I look forward to sidewinder only goon groups.

a reminder to all our new thread residents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxZS2m7-oI

Antoine has a bunch of good Titanfall videos too. In fact, better videos. but he can link his own youtube channel :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

The greatest of games. Didn't we also do c4/grenades only and still won?

we did way too many gimmicks and won. But yes - we had one where we cooked frags only and won. Not even throwing them.

if I remember the list: charge rifles only, Hamtaro pistols only, mag launchers only, Sidewinders only, satchel charges only (note: this is the best strategy), noscope Krabers only, Wingman only.

Knifegrab posted:

How does the top gun theme go again?

and then this, literally our finest moment. Even better than that 400-0 win

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Antoine Silvere posted:

Why they are waiting so long to show off the cool multiplayer is beyond me :shrug:

to GET HYPE, obviously?

Is it me, or are the MP changes - I'm thinking specifically about the shield cores being something you get via rodeo (only?) - seem to be making it so you cannot take a Strider and the quad rockets and just dash from everyone after shooting rockets everywhere? that was my go-to "I need an MVP this round" strategy.

well that and pubbing because getting MVP with you guys around lol, no

how will I ever hit gen10 again :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

No game, not even Titanfall, is worth $250

I mean unless you were the one person in the world already planning your Titanfall cosplay, in which case ...?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Antoine Silvere posted:

that's it, you're off the team :mad:

at least I know how the Top Gun theme goes, ANTOINE :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

push X to romance Optimus Primebot

Digirat posted:

What if I want to play as the robot and romance the human

i think the one universal wish for Titanfall 2 we had back then was "why can't I always play as a spectre instead of having to use a burn card?" so it's clearly the next step

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's easier to get a beta build for a known hardware target like consoles, but this does make me laugh:

quote:

Also, because the single player story has some wonderful secrets that we really want to preserve for launch, we also have to worry about leaks. Our wonderfully curious PC players have proven in the past that they will dig out anything they can, and there's a risk that they could spoil some of our single player.

"hey, what's the most polite way I can say you stupid fuckers always try to spoil everything by datamining and I hate that?"

Reading between the lines it does seem pretty honest: "our console builds are further along than our PC ones, we don't want to take the time to build up a PC one right now, also gently caress you for datamining come on, Optimus Primebot's noble sacrifice must stay secret until the NDAs expire"

like I'm not saying that's a good thing, but at least they're admitting it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

yeah they're working on poo poo until the last minute, just like approximately every other major game made ever. Unless they also lock out pre-release PC review copies - i.e. trying to hide PC performance until first day of sales - I'm not really worried about it yet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

GOD drat YOU CONSOLE JERKS!

:negative:

look respawn gotta throw them a bone, they won't get to play on PC with the PC crew. It's really noble of them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Antoine Silvere posted:

The spectre disguise one was great. It was also fun to use a Titan burn card at the start of a match, kill yourself, then use a map hack burn card. It was extremely effective and made people pretty mad haha

no, no, it makes them "unhappy leave"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ok Fella posted:

Out of all of the dumb goony poo poo to bust someone's balls about that doesn't even crack the top 50 dude.

so what is in the top 50

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tone has the 40mm and an Itano circus attack? wrap it up, everyone, we've found the best titan

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

The sniper rifle in tf1 was projectile and not hitscan meaning any idiot who used it was a free kill. I would like to see this trend continued in tf2.

look at this post from someone who didn't get most kills when we did noscope krabers only

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh, I know you were there, I just know I was #1 :smuggo:

But you're right in general - I'm a big fan of corner camping with a sniper rifle being something that, effectively, gets punished at every turn. Good design move from Respawn then and I want to see it continue.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's the hype trailer you've been waiting for: Tone

https://youtu.be/gwe1ZnYPgrY

hype status: confirmed

it looks like you can just shoot the 40, or use the partial/full lock assist to murder people with the 40 and then missiles.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Antoine Silvere posted:

If by depth you mean snipers you are 100% correct!

yeah don't get me wrong, BF1 is fun and good but it's still a Battlefield game which you've probably played before five times.

Or put another way: Titanfall has Tone, Battlefield has ten snipers on a ridgeline at all times. Advantage Titanfall.

(I'm having a lot of fun with the BF1 beta but the whole $0 thing factors in pretty heavily)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I thought it was very professional and restrained how the art guy kept scrolling past the hot pink titans we all know he wanted to make before picking something else for the video

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

being a spectre 24/7 is all I really needed and here it is

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lemming posted:

I didn't like them because of my tendency to hoard so I'd just destroy the ones I didn't care about to make room for the shiny rare ones, and then never use them :(

or, you could use map hack and titan drop to become death, destroyer of streamers

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

What you did on angel city.... I'll never forgive.

don't make me "unhappy leave" Discord, okay

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

All that matters is BETTAH is back, you nerds

robot thumbs-up is a strong #2

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

lostleaf posted:

Was there a big problem with cheaters on the PC for the original game?

the only problem was teams getting absolutely stomped by a group of jackasses singing the Hamtaro theme song and only using anti-titan weapons

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

What if you're a stupid gently caress who ordered a physical copy because it comes with a helmet?

:negative:

pro: helmet
con: helmet

deciding factor: at least you aren't $15,000 deep into Star Citizen

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well I don't want to condemn Polygon as an outlet, they did hire the McElroy bros, but they also hired a guy who admitted to being a lousy father who used video games to babysit his kids and doesn't monitor what they do. And I'm not being uncharitable - that's what he said.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/12/7532863/video-games-parenting-no-bullshit

what's worse: that this guy wrote it, or that I knew who the author was before clicking? :negative:

poo poo, they removed Scorch's ability to burn rodeoing pilots off his back with his fire shield.

I really liked that he was the only Titan you couldn't effectively rodeo and thought it was nice differentiation. Bummer.

I can sort of see why, since TF1 you took the electric smoke or nothing. On the other hand, having to think about which titan to take based on how likely you are to get rodeoed (e.g. a fairly tight map with lots of close quarters is rodeo heaven) would've been neat. I dunno, we'll see?

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 24, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the only measure of a good Titan is how many missiles it can fire at once

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insert name here posted:

Sorry but I'm gonna be rocking Legion at all times with his sweet rear end gat and his core that gives it Smart Pistol lockon

the shameful-est way to misspell Tone

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Titanfall 2 is also $5 on origin right now so it's a good time to make everyone you know play it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just want the ability to run a private FD instance and still level up. let me play with my friends, one of whom has some instability issues.

also double the rewards because who cares at this stage, let me level everything up.

e: connection instability, I should clarify

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 13, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xarbala posted:

don't mind me I'm just going to grind out 50 goosers with my Forty in dinobone desert

HARD CORE

SPACE WAR

i remember you had 50 goosers before the rest of us were within 2 generations of that challenge

i mean god drat

I'll never forget the beautiful times we had later in the game's life doing dumb poo poo like p2020 only, sidewinder only, charge rifle only, mag launcher only, and we kept winning (by a lot) so we had to start doing stuff like "only run around with a hand grenade cooking and hope you're near someone when it explodes"

Titanfall is the best franchise, basically

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 6, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

That's more a map design issue. The first game was well balanced so every team could have max titans out and pilots still had plenty of areas where they were safe to fight in. Titanfall 2 really opened up the maps with a lot more open space for titans and less places for pilots to hide, with the trade off being that titans could no longer regenerate shields. Personally I liked how the first game handled everything because to the average player, titans in TF2 kinda feel like glass cannons, whereas it was easier to spend the whole match in one in the first game (your shields would keep regenerating).

Also I just really, really miss so many of those maps :negative:

I spent the majority of at least one gen in titanfall 1 in one titan per match, every match. Strider and quad rocket, usually, just boosting all over the map and generally being the absolute worst kind of player because I was score farming for MVPs to regenerate. Never getting shot out because you could forever disengage wasn't ideal for the health of the game, so all in all TF2's probably a better approach even if I liked being able to stay in a single titan more or less forever in 1. One of those 'small sacrifice for me, big positive for everyone' kind of changes.

if you want to stay in your titan forever, Frontier Defense is the mode. Perhaps not coincidentally I've played a lot more FD than any other mp.

e: burning titan drop, satchel charging yourself, then burning map hack was one hell of a pro combo at making the other team absolutely hate you, though. And definitely same on missing some TF1 maps.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 21, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I really like how Scorch and Northstar are probably the frontier defense MVPs depending on map and in comp that kinda flips

it's good

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sigher posted:

Yeah, I've played a good amount of Frontier Defense and I don't have a single Titan maxed out, hell I don't even think my highest level Titan is half way. It's a bit too grindy.

And yeah, gently caress the EPG.

aegis rank 20 is, assuming good play, I dunno, six-seven hours each? It's like going from zero to gen 6.0 but since you can stay in your titan for 4/5 waves if you're moderately careful you can rank up pretty fast. And some maps are just made for some titans, like Rise is basically feeding every long range titan XP like no other

(very late edit: 6 to 8.5 is what I've got as a spread for zero to Aegis 20, depending on Titan. Scorch is my fastest, Monarch is my slowest.)

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 1, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

what is this iron cross bullshit ion skin and how can I automatically ban anyone who uses it

e: it appears to be a Battlefield 1 tie in?

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Unless there's a ton of those loving flying drones, Scorch is pretty useless against those things, but then so is almost every Titan or Pilot weapon, it's amazing how deadly an enemy can be not because they deal a ton of damage but simply because how hard they are to actually kill with anything

Flame shield or just mashing punch ruins drone swarms. Punching is best done from the side, flame shield you just walk in front and say hello.

And if you're scorch you're probably MVPing every round so just buy a couple auto turrets and call it a day.

the only titan better suited to deleting drones in FD, in my opinion, is a legion burning a smart core and that's kind of a waste of an ult, but all of them can do the melee clear. Flame shield is just perfect for it though.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 11, 2021