Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This whole thread makes me sad that the Australian Titanfall 2 community is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Since I was given a free month of Origin Access I decided to check out the multiplayer on this, after having only played the single player early this year. I assumed the Australian servers would be totally dead, with no one on there - to my surprise, nope, it's still quite possible to get a game. In fact, I'd say it's only about as difficult to get a game as it is in Quake Champions! And it's just as fun as people have said. Although while I'm pretty decent at the pilot v pilot combat, I am loving hopeless at titans.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Enjoying the gently caress out of this and still happy to be able to get PC matches for a three or four hour window at night (wish you could get more game modes but given a stable population is a pipedream that's a bit much to expect). Only real criticism of the game itself is that I wish the weapons were better balanced. SMGs, particularly the CAR, are so much better than everything else.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A lot of weapons are highly build-specific imo

A lot of those other than the CAR, alternator, R97 and to a lesser extent the volt, which are goddamned laser beams even when hip firing and wall running. I'm not sure how you balance these things. Obviously Respawn weren't either. Tbh the grapple also seems a little ridiculous. They should've just given everyone a grapple as an extra button then put the rest of the options for that slot on a different button - it's just too useful and changes the game so much. When I'm using it the game feels a little like Tribes to me.

I'm replaying the campaign... That long sequence in the fabrication facility with Ash must be the consensus worst part of the game, right? It's not bad and I love the campaign overall, don't get me wrong, but the whole thing feels a bit repetitive, and the lack of anything scripted or interesting happening is uncharacteristic of the rest of the game.

Edit: Conversely, I could play a whole game with the easy time-shifting level (which would take a fuckload of work on the dev team but man is it fun shifting between the two periods so easily and hearing IMC freak out).

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 15, 2019

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Been playing a shitload of this for months now. Love it, obviously, but some thoughts on things I'd like changed but never will be:

(1) CAR should be deleted from the game - it's too strong, with good damage and 100% hip-fire accuracy. Volt is the same thing, but better-balanced.

(2) R-97 damage needs to be toned down slightly.

(3) Monarch needs to be nerfed for attrition. This could be either by a slower core gain rate, or an XO-16 nerf.

(4) Given the small player population, stacks can loving ruin the game, to the point where, at least on PC, I think parties shouldn't be allowed at all (or maybe parties just mean you'll be in the same game - not on the same team). I'm good at this game, and can't say I've never been guilty of being unnecessarily harsh in stomping the other side (albeit I don't use sweaty builds against teams who aren't so good, and I won't drop a titan until I see a couple on the other side). But when there are three or more top-tier players on one team who run around at a trillion miles an hour with stim and SMGs, and I'm the only good player on my team, it becomes intensely unfun. I imagine it's even worse for other players on my team who are new or not very good.

(5) I think attrition should have a cap on the number of titans at any one time - say two per side - to avoid situations where one side ends up with all titans and the other one or none, making it kinda lame as the titanless team gets obliterated as soon as they peak their heads out (lol if the map is Complex - good luck there if you don't have a titan).

(6) Aim assist needs to be tweaked. On PC, players who use aim assist can be annoying in a few different ways. There are some players who will get cloak and an AR or spitfire and be very immobile then rely on the aim assist to laser much faster moving players, despite the fact said controller players could never hit that player otherwise, and very few mouse/kb players could, either. Those players aren't that big a deal, though - they'll do better than they should, but rarely top a team or dominate. A bigger concern is the handful of players who've spent thousands of hours with a controller and know how to abuse it. There are very few players like this, and I didn't realise what a problem they were until I was on Discord with a very good player who said 'Oh, yeah, controller aim assist can break PC, let me show you', then jumped into a game on PC and got 61 kills first try. Said guy is very good, but 61 kills is a bit ourageous even for him.

Needless to say I adore the game and wouldn't have spent 270 hours or whatever I have in the last six months if I didn't, but some of these things can be annoying, especially (4). None of this will ever come, of course, since the game is abandoned, but I can dream.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

It is a ridiculous gun. It is very viscerally pleasing to use, but its DPS is absurd and it is not really very inaccurate at all. Nor is the damage drop-off all that bad, given how much lead you're putting out.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

sigher posted:

I could see a Steam release bringing the game back from the dead easily. Though, it might be a little too late at this point... I'd double dip just to give Respawn all my money that's for drat sure.

I don't think it's quite too late. If they did a free week or whatever at the same time as they released it on Steam, I think you'd see the player base briefly spike up a dozen times over or more, and then probably enough players would become regulars that it'd still be three or four times the current size in a year.* I base this off how well it did from the free month on Playstation quite recently, and the very low base you're coming from with PC.

* There need to be enough new players that every game isn't just being dominated by those of us who've been playing hardcore for a while. The game plays very differently to popular shooters, and the first 50 - 100 games anyone plays almost certainly involve them getting slaughtered.

Also re hackers in the TF games in general - EA absolutely does not loving care about hackers. A guy on the Australian servers is a notorious hacker. There's video footage of him hacking, here: https://m.twitch.tv/clip/TrappedCloudySmoothiePraiseIt. This isn't the only kind of hack he uses, as I've also seen him wallhack. Amusingly, said hacker spoke once, and had the voice of an 11 year old boy. The guy who recorded the video of the hacking contacted EA to request a ban, but got fobbed off by customer service. Fortunately it seems after a while we bullied the hacker so hard by everyone dropping what they were doing to kill just him that he has either given up or lost interest... For now.

Obviously, silent aim and wallhacks aren't the game-breaking thing that the TF1 hacker mentioned above is using, which EA just can't ignore.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Huge player spike with the Steam release. I'm a bit concerned about the older players driving away the new players though - biggest problem so far is older players complaining about new players using CAR/smart pistol/Monarch or whatever then switching to something sweaty and dominating the newer players. Annoying since a lot of these older players are the same people who complain about the small player base.

Edit: The one excpetion I'll make where I don't mind bullying the new players is for those using controllers on PC and relying on the huge aim assist. I loving hate that.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 20, 2020

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blind Duke posted:

They are all nice, but some have an awkwardness that makes them difficult vs more straightforward guns like the CAR. Cold War, Wingman, Mastiff, Volt, Devotion, etc. They all have a situation and range where they slap but in your average range suddenly see a pilot wallrun around a corner a point and shoot will do you better.

There is no range at which the Volt is appreciably different to or better than the CAR. (I use the CAR very seldom because it's considered vulgar for more experienced players to use it too much; the Volt is more or less a balanced version.)

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 21, 2020

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

sigher posted:

I feel that, I miss the turrets too.

Also, Homestead is the fuckin' worst map; why haven't they brought back every map from TF1? That should have been a given considering TF1 is a dead game. I mean, I guess they'd have to do without the turrets, but I miss that huge Dam level and the desert area with those dragon dinosaur things.

Homestead is the second best Kraber map behind Angel City, so if you have fun with the extremely slow-firing slow-projectile sniping game it's not too bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Man, Attrition is still a really fun mode.

My only problem with attrition is when there are too many titans on the map and being on foot becomes lame. I think a cap on the number of tiatns active at one time per team (2 or 3) would be good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Wasn't it down in the hundreds pretty recently pre-Steam? Steam sale has definitely turned things around - hopefully enough people stick around to keep the playerbase healthy for another couple of years.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It doesn't take that long to level up. You certainly won't be comfortable with all the weapons at the pace they unlock.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I hope this doesn't break a rule around shilling, but there's a tournament for TF2 coming up on July 18. Sign-ups are here, closing July 12: https://t.ly/x1E7 I'm not playing but I'm going to throw $20 into the prize pool.

Edit: Re Monarch tips following from the guy above: don't be surprised when veteran players rage at you, depending on how you play her. ;) For attrition mode, the monarch core gain is probably a bit too high, the XO-16 Accelerator a bit too good, or some mix of the two. There's a certain species of player - usually uses JUST CAR, Spitfire or R-97 and nothing else - who will grunt farm until they get Monarch and then sit in the safest plaec possible until they can get the XO-16. I don't actually mind it that much because I think a team who actually focuses on killing titans instead of just ignoring them until they get out of control can do so pretty easily. Some people get funny about how the game is MEANT to be played. I geuss they're not entirely wrong since most of the things complained about should be toned down a bit...

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 28, 2020

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

tbh i am having a hard time using anything but the car

It's one of the guns that really needs to be toned down - in any competitive game probably 75% of players will be using the CAR - so from an effectiveness perspective you're making the right choice.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hilariously for being the sniper titan, Northstar's main weapon needs you to lead your target because apparently a rail gun projectile is as slow as a pilot's machine gun bullets. Ion's laser shot is the sniper rifle in the game and Ion's vortex shield makes a mockery of any rails Northstar sends your way.

What I'm trying to say is Northstar is kinda weak to play as unless you can always use your team's titans as cover for sniping. If it's a 1v1 you're more than likely going to get shat on.

And Thunderbolt does gently caress all damage but launch it down a corridor just over the heads of any titans and it builds titan meter like no other weapon in the game. It's a question of whether you want to do damage to titans by risking your pilot skills with any other anti-titan weapon or you're better in a titan so need one ASAP with the thunderbolt.

Northstar takes a while to get used to but is okay once you've spent enough time with it. It's not so good v pilots because of the projectile travel time (albeit the projectile is very large so you'll hit some shots that are off-target), but it's one of the best for titan v titan. You'll still occasionally drop in an annoying spot where you're immediately wrecked by a legion or whatever even once you're good at it but that's just the game. I only wish its core was something that could work at range a bit better. Having something you need to fire from a few metres away while sloooowwwllly floating in the air does not complement Northstar's strengths at all. Frothy did some videos on how to use it that are helpful - at least to some extent. A lot of things in this game in general and with titans specifically depend on having a feel for how it moves and matches up such that giving someone pointers in the abstract won't necessarily be useful.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 7, 2020

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Field Mousepad posted:

Melee still wonky as gently caress. Some things never change

Melee is garbage. I get what they were going for - the animations make it feel very visceral and cool on some of the melee kills. But the huge lock-on (it used to be even bigger!) and the fact it's one-hit make it frustrating to play against and annoying to die to.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blind Duke posted:

It's description says it's equally effective on pilot and titan, which is it lying to you

I suppose the damage values might be equal, but a titan will just laugh at you as it boosts over to punch your body into a pulp.

Still seeing a bunch of new players, and a decent fraction of those who bought it when it first went on sale sticking around. Steam sale has made a huge diff to the Australian scene, which was on life support.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The guy who broke Titanfall 1 is ddosing TF2 now. I have been told he accidentally doxed himself. Some prick in Georgia.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

sigher posted:

Is there a story/thread on this?

Nah it's just something I read in a Discord somewhere.

Very happy that TF3's probability is climbing given I viewed TF as a dead franchise six months ago.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDznau7dwVs

It's even weirder than one crank trying to bring down the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ironic that one of the guys quoted heavily here, p0358, was actually a hacker. For the insane reason of getting game assets from Respawn and to drive attention to the Remnant Fleet Discord to somehow help in furthering resurrection of a failed Korean mobile port of Titanfall.

This is so intensely weird. Again - one guy, Jeanue, being nuts made more sense to me than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And the reason why we haven't been able to play titanfall 1 for years and titanfall 2 for months is because they wanted less competition for their never-released asian market titanfall game they wanted to steal the source code to own.

Yeah.

TF1 probably was Jeanue for a while, to my understanding. The more recent attacks including the two day Apex shutdown were these weirdos though.

In the Apex shutdown they put up a message to go to Save Titanfall, in part because it linked to the Remnant Fleet discord.

It's interesting how easily they manipulated media.