Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also, for the love of god, a smaller install size please. Didn't the first one have something like 30 gigs of uncompressed sound files, most of which was dialogue in five or six different languages? At least give us the option of saying "No, I'm only ever going to play this in English (or whatever) stop filling up my HD with useless crap."

Ha ha, I was just about to ask, does Titanfall 2 feature 50gigs of uncompressed audio too? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

runchild posted:

Some dev mentioned a third faction called the "Remnant Fleet" but nobody has a clue what that means. There's definitely a shot in the single player trailer where an IMC pilot is chilling in the same ship bridge as a couple Militia pilots, which is interesting. Multiplayer still seems to be IMC v. Militia.

I'm going to sound like a total sperg, but following the battle of Demeter in the campaign in Titanfall, the IMC splinters. A bunch join the Militia because Spyglass (the AI that tells you when your Titan is dropping on the IMC side), is given complete control of the IMC.

I imagine the Remenant fleet is that Militia/IMC hybrid and the "current" IMC is the combination of the Hammond/Spyglass factions (assuming that the impetus for the Titanfall 2 campaign is the arrival of an IMC Hammond fleet from the core system to retake the frontier and rebuild Demeter).

tl;dr Titanfall had a story guys :v:

EDIT: Newer players wouldn't know this cause they changed how the "campaign" works. Previously, there used to be a preramble to each "mission" of the campaign that fleshed out the story a bit while the match was loading. That seems to have been removed when they changed the campaign so you could drop in at any point, which is a bummer but hey, the campaign is more accessible.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 19, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Haven't watched any recent videos, is the smart pistol back?

I loved the smart pistol. :shobon:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Also :siren: the smart pistol is no longer a load out weapon, its a score steak thing like amped weapons now. Rip smart pistol, you were too beautiful for this world :qq:

Noooooo. :smith:

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno. Perhaps PC FPS players just aren't into the game? Maybe it will do better when it's not competing with Xbox 360 players at a time when a lot of people still had 360s.

The lack of a server browser and segmenting the DLC into DLC playlists didn't help Titanfall 1 on the PC.

If you had the DLC,you were just playing the same 3 maps over and over.

Hopefully, making all the maps free will help Titanfall 2. I assume it's playlists again, instead of a server browser.

DLC will be what? Cosmetics? Additional Titan chassis?

As long as maps and modes are free, things should stay healthy.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So what was once a burn card are now kill-streak activated abilities?

I'm cool with that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

de la peche posted:

I had over 160 grunts in one round thanks to the smart pistol and electric bastard ray in TF1. I need a combo as stupid as that in TF2.

The trick was silenced smart pistol (don't show up on the map during grunt murderfests) and transition to the speedy titan with the grenade launcher, dashing everywhere and wrecking havoc.

I'd pull off 160+ matches, pissing off foe and my own team alike. It was glorious.

:getin:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Just to be sure since I saw the thing saying "pre order and play 3 days early". This game actually comes out tomorrow right? Was planning on grabbing it on disc after work tomorrow .

You might be thinking of BF1 (pre-order to get early access), anyone playing Titanfall 2 early used a VPN. Otherwise, TF2 unlocks tonight (9 PM PST :dance:)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the new uncustomizable titan loadouts or the maps yet.

I feel like they realized a lot of people just used a particular setup with each chasis, so they went "okay, lets remove customizability all together!". Giving everyone electric smoke, however, is a very nice change.

The maps don't feel...I dunno...epic? Every map in TF1 felt like a battlefield, with constant swarms of grunts dropping in and the such. The new maps, combined with the changes to Attrition, make them feel really small. Also, depending on where the battle is happening, there'll be parts of the map that are just EMPTY. That never happened in Titanfall 1.

What's the deal with sponsers? Is it just picking who yells at you over voice coms? It's nice to have Blisk back (I'm switching to that faction as soon as I can) but I miss Bish and Spyglass. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

So does this game have a bunch of customization that the first one apparently lacked?

Not really?

I mean...there's LOTS of "stuff" to unlock? Its not Battlefield 3/4 "bad" but...I don't know, its sort of directionless?

EVERYTHING has levels now. Guns, Titans, Anti-titan guns, Factions (voice packs???). Its all over the place. Skins, weapon mods...ect.
I think part of what I, personally, found refreshing about the first Titanfall was how little there was to unlock? Every gun had a clear role and had 3(?) unlocks. Same for Titan Chassis.
I guess what I'm saying is there'll always be something popping up saying you've unlocked something if that's your thing.

The only thing I really like about the "new" system is that I can use credits to skip level unlock requirements.

If I had to sum up Titanfall 2, the pilot changes are boss. Lots more movement options, customization and the stuff everyone usually equipped is default. Titan changes? Not so much. The Titans feel like restrictive character classes that you're not meant to have for long.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 29, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there to make R2 aim-down-sites not a toggle on-off affair? I prefer it as a button-hold-down-on-off sort of thing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

How does regeneration work this time around? I notice there seems to be regeneration for EVERYTHING but an earlier poster noted that Titan regeneration didn't reset anything? Is it the same for guns?

Is pilot regeneration the only thing that resets everything? Do they at least still provide an exp boost on regen?

God...there's too much drat stuff to unlock in this game, I don't think I could be bothered to regen.

I also haven't quite figured out how pilot levels work this time around. Its not point based anymore? I get "merits"? So do I have it right in that I level up my pilot by levelling up different guns, Titans and anti-titan weapons?

EDIT:

Weird complaint, but I miss the game being IMC vs. Militia. Both factions had distinct visual looks for pilots and titans. Its a weird thematic choice to make pilots more "free-agents" working for a variety of factions this time around. I suppose it sort of makes sense since The Frontier is cut off from Earth, so it would follow that the 2 factions would splinter without support from home.

Also, I wish there was an IMC campaign this time around too, I just want more single player. It was so good.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 31, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The level set entirely indoors and that canyon one with no intro (crash site? Its called crash site, it should start with our dropship crashing!) are so lame. Definitely the worst levels.

Can't wait to have Angel City back so we can have some TF1 style levels again. I'd love to see Swampland (tree jumping :3:) and the training-sim level make a return at some point

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I was thinking how I missed the old rodeo mechanic (what's the point of the LMG now?), but then I realized they had to replace it with something. Everyone ran electric-smoke in Titanfall 1, there was no point in running anything else, especially after the patch that allowed AI titans to use it. So give everyone e-smoke in Titanfall 2, inspired choice right? But that means the old rodeo mechanic has to change cause EVERYONE has the counter now.

I'm okay with the battery mechanic now, makes things more frantic and encourages some teamwork. When I grab a battery and I don't have a Titan, I look for my nearest teammate and give them a donation of a fresh battery. :3:

scaterry posted:

On the subject of DLCs, i would pay for more gauntlet courses

Yes.

Also I'd pay for an IMC campaign.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

I hope they're gonna tweak the Devotion, because that gun's some poo poo right now.

Is that the LMG that speeds up? If so, yes.

What level do guns and Titans regen? 20?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Voliun posted:

More codes for more XP.
BAY7ZHC7AZ

Took this one, thanks. :)

EDIT: Aww sweet! It gave me the pilot execution too!

AAB posted:

do you get anything for MP by completing the campaign? trying to figure out which to drop into first

Nope, nothing, sadly. What you DO get is a great single-player experience!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

So is there any consensus on what the "best" loadout for Ronin is? I mean Turbo Engine's a no brainer, More Mobility = Better Than, but I can't seem to decide between Ricochet Rounds for more AI/Pilot lethality or Temporal Anomaly for even MORE stupid Ronin tricks.

Also, having Edgelord Future Ken Watanabe as the AI automatically makes it the best.
"Transferring control to Pilot. The blade is in your hands." :zoro:

I'm a huge fan of nuclear eject, just cause I'm usually near a titan when I die so "IM TAKING YOU WITH ME! ARRRGH!", and the improved force-slash just for titan disruption. I get the feeling I'll be taking temporal anomaly when I unlock it though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Joe the Strummer posted:

Never played the first one though, did its player base stick around for a while? It would be a real shame if this game gets overlooked all because of a lovely release schedule.

The big thing that killed the player base of the first game was how the DLC maps were handled. They segmented the player base into haves and have-nots. It was doubly worse in that the DLC maps were initially segmented into their own individual playlists, so if you did buy the season pass later and wanted to play the first map pack, whoops no one is playing it anymore!

Eventually, they fixed this by giving everyone the DLC for free and integrating it into the master playlists but it was waaaaay too late.

Titanfall 2 shouldn't have this problem, as all the maps will be free for everyone. I'll be curious to see how many maps we get.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Fingers crossed for DLC announcers.

Bring back Bish and Spyglass!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

Just hear this line and you're covered on the TF1 story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QbU2Qy2Sg&t=327s

And for some lore, here's a tale - In MP every now and again you could start a game in a titan with 100% uptime maphack and go like 40-0

I miss the talky-face-comm windows. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Have they pulled maps out of the cycle? I haven't seen that awful Corporate map that's set all indoors since release day. Note: I only play attrition and bounty hunt. Do certain maps only show in certain modes?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

IronDoge posted:

Its affecting the 1000 series cards, 900 series seem to be unaffected.

Off topic, what is it with Nvidia lately? They keep putting out botched drivers. Seems to happen every few years.

I dunno about performance on the 900 series though, Battlefield 1 and Dishonored 2 seem to be running a bit worse. Playable, but not anywhere near as smooth as before (BF1 in particular). Can't roll back though, BF1 won't even let you run it without the latest drivers. Like...what? :eyeroll:

In Titanfall news, I think I've hit my limit with the guns I can be good with. I was cycling through them, getting each up to the duo-mod level (11?). The r-97 is the most useless SMG ever, I seem to miss most shots with the G2, I've never been good with snipers and I can't get the hang of the Mastiff. So it looks like its just grinding the guns I'm good with. :sigh:

How does the regen exp multiplyer work this time around with the merit system? Does the multiplyer apply to merits earned post-match? Also, is it the same as before? 1.1, 1.2 and so on to 2x?

I'm getting close to regen, but I really want to unlock the flatline with credits, I liked it in single player, and I think I'll like it in multiplayer.

EDIT: I also really miss the mods from Titanfall 1 that seemed to totally change a weapon. The only thing this time around seems to be the charge rifle.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Eldragon posted:

I'm tempted to start playing "other" weapons just to get the cheap merits, Is there a sweet-spot level to work towards? e.g. "Get a lovely gun to level 10 then move on to another one".

I'm still just level 16 so most of the guns everyone raves about are still locked for me.

Level 11 means you've unlocked all the mods and scopes for a gun, everything past that is skins and banners until regen (20?), but as I understand it gun and titan regen doesn't re-lock anything, it just resets the counter.

Anti titan weapons, its level 6 or 7?

Never looked at pilot sidearms, not sure what the point is. Actually, can anyone enlighten me as to why I would use a sidearm in place of a anti-titan weapon? Are the grenade launchers in the primary category any good against Titans? I've seen people occasionally using the Mozambique, but I never see any other sidearms.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Playing with the smart pistol boost makes me miss my silenced smart pistol build from Titanfall 1. :(

So much rage.

Also, can I get more bullets for my boost-smart pistol from my Titan or is it 12 bullets and I'm out?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

radintorov posted:

Why would you run it silenced instead of with the enhanced targeting? :psyduck:

In TF1? So I can run around with my grunt detector farming dudes without anyone getting the drop on me. Combined with the stealth kit and some ~sweet moves~, I'd regularly get the drop on other pilots.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

In upcoming map news, it looks like "fracture" from TF1 will be coming back too, going by this artist's TF2 demo-reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOy2QcM9cBs&t=78s

Angel City, and a few unannounced maps are in there too. Matte-painting artist, so you're only seeing the backgrounds, but dang he's good.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 24, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Veretas posted:

That's most definitely just the map from TF1, not remastered or anything.

Darn. :(

Deceived by the video title, artist confirmed it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Still wish you got to fight Whatshisname at the end. Felt too sequel-hooky. But otherwise,Yeah, I loved the campaign. I'd honestly kill for a BT voicepack for the SPARKS in XCOM2. Like he kills an alien and goes "I have had 53 consecutive hot streaks" or however that line goes.

You take that back, Blisk is a national treasure and will never die! :mad:

Besides, he's bettah.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I like Crash Site, too. Why the gently caress doesn't it have an intro?

I wonder if it was supposed to have a unique intro, like that one simulation map in TF1, and they couldn't get it ready in time for release?

It has a dropship intro if you're not playing Attrition. :confused:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I really miss silenced weapons. I loved ghosting through the map in TF1 with cloak and a silenced SMG. It was really good for farming grunts and catching pilots who relied on their radar too much.

This game is super rad, though, and Tone is OP.

Pistol sidearms can still be silenced. The Mozambique, the sidearm-shotgun, is pretty bad-rear end with a silencer on it and run and gun.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

The gently caress I bought this from amazon and they shipped me a box with a code

The gently caress is the point of that

I think that's how EA does it now.

I did a play test session with them, got a few free PC games and they were all DVD cases with Origin codes in them.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

RE: Crackling audio:

It was driving me bonkers too, cause it seemed to also come with slight framerate hitching.

I'm using onboard RealTek, but otherwise my system was running everything on a mix of high/ultra without issue.

Turning off adaptive vsync and switching to triple buffered fixed the problem for me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Alehkhs posted:

The fact that there are maps in TF2 that don't have a dropship intro at all really saddens me. :(

Missed opportunity. Crash site should open with both sides crashing in escape pods.

I mean really.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ularg posted:

What's the point of the Mastiff over the other shotgun anyway?

Its really good in attrition, cause when you aim down sights it does that wide-horizontal shot instead?

Not as good at killing pilots though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I see zip-lines!

and woah, that UI for picking game modes is way, way better.

I just wish they were adding more maps to the regular modes.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I miss Frontier Defense :(

If I could play nothing but a playlist of Frontier Defence and Attrition, I'd be very content.

I'm certain Frontier Defence is coming back at some point, it was the second most popular game mode in TF1.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I saw that Best Buy has the deluxe edition for $30 with GCU, is the deluxe content really just some camos and early access to rigs that have already been released?

Exclusive skins and a banner I think? Really not worth it unless its cheaper than the standard ed.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Once I figured out I had to hold DOWN melee to do an execution, my Ronin game got bettah.

Now its chop-chop-stab-every day. :getin:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

And see people are talking about season pass maps being dead. I found a gently caress ton for Battlefield 4. Truth is, 4 months from now, there will be more people who have season pass maps on bf1, than the number of all active tf2 players. The trick always was finding custom servers that rotate all the maps, including dlc. Battlefront didn't have that and it was kind of lovely. Doesn't bf1 have almost ten times the of the players of tf2, at peak?

They're not doing enough to try and capitalize on the free maps/micro transactions. To me, that's worse than paying for maps.

Just to be clear, I think titanfall 2 is still a good game. But it's kind of obvious that in the ps3 and ps4 generations, you see way more new maps for games that actually have a season pass. Overwatch is probably the one exception I can think of and it has more players than any of the free dlc (maps and characters) multiplayer games. So that's just the blizzard effect I guess.

The biggest problem with the DLC in Titanfall 1 wasn't that it existed, its how it was implemented.

Turns out, if you don't have a server browser and use "playlists", DLC doesn't work. Playlists, as we can see even without DLC, splinter the playerbase. In TF1, if I wanted to play the DLC, I had to go into a DLC specific playlist just for the gamemode I wanted to play, meaning in addition to already splintering the playerbase across a bunch of different game modes they further splintered the DLC owning players into their own playlists.

Sadly, I think the only way to distribute DLC in a playlist style game is to give it to everyone for free. Overwatch does it too, but Blizzard has the income stream to do something every month (event, new character or map).

Battlefield games, on the PC at least, aren't hurt by season passes because you can load up the server browser and always find a server playing a mix of all the maps.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, the bullet point above that said there are new commander intros in the next patch/dlc. So good news, they'll have audio!

THE FRONTIER IS WORTH EVERY PART OF THIS FIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm honestly surprised that LLJK is still being used for goon clan tags.

Its tradition! :colbert: