Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I went to the EA Play e3 public event in LA yesterday and was able to play several rounds of Titanfall 2. The game is super fun and they made a lot of smart changes to the core mechanics that seemed to improve from what they had on the first game. The grappling hook is super fun to use and compliments the first games stellar parkour mechanics nicely. You can use it to hook onto titans and rodeo a lot easier or if you're falling use it to give yourself momentum to swing yourself under bridges, or you can even hook onto enemies and pull them in for a melee. The biggest thing I noticed right away was how different the radar was from TF1, enemy fire doesn't show up as radar blips and now you only get ticks in the general direction of enemy fire, a good improvement in my opinion since the silencer was OP previously.

The Titan combat is still a lot of fun, my titan had this super charged laser that fires from your titan's chest that eviscerates anything in it's path, I was able to take out two titans with a single laser blast. Also Titan executions go into third person, they look really good, Ion (the Titan I think I was using) would do some melee attack and jam it's gigantic gun into the enemy cockpit and dump, a big gently caress yeah moment. There were only 2 Titan classes available to play but there's going to be a total of 6.

I was only able to pick from 3 different precreated classes but judging by the open slots it looks like there's a lot more variance and options to the weapons and equipment from the first one, anti-titan weapons for example have attachment slots (for the demo build it was just extended mags). From the different videos they were showing outside in the lounge area it looks like they are going to have a lot of different Titan and pilot skins, and if I were to guess probably different animations for Titan executions to go along with the included third person perspective. Just from what I played it seemed to have a lot more depth to it and they weren't showing all the weapons and titans, it's like an answer to everyone's complaints from the first one.

Psion posted:

YOU KILL ME, YOU'RE BETTAH. I KILL YOU, I'M BETTAH

can't wait to play Titanfall 2 with you and as many of the old crew as we can get. Charge rifle only, day 1, book it.

Blisk's player model was the guy opening the door on the IMC side, so can confirm, we'll most likely see who's BETTAH.

Also Charge Rifle was on one of the loadouts and that seemed to have available locked attachements. The class I used had the mag launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Mordja posted:

Can you grapple onto any surface or are there predefined points on the map?

I was able to grapple onto any surface but nothing incredibly far out of reach, I wasn't sure what the maximum distance was but anything I tried to hook on while wall running I was able to grapple onto and pull myself towards. I was even able to grapple onto the enemy evac dropship at the end, which I assume would be useful if I was trying to get into it.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Antoine Silvere posted:

Hah, didn't even notice the changes to the minimap, that's interesting! Did rodeoing seem weird to you? I found that I would rodeo a Titan, pull the thing off, and then immediately jump off automatically. Maybe I was just doing it wrong?

No sword Titan available to play unfortunately, but like Wazzit said the video they were playing while waiting in line showed Titan customization.

Ah man poo poo I didn't even see your post :doh:

Yeah rodeoing felt weird because my guy would pull out what I assumed to be some type of shield battery and jump off and I wasn't sure how much damage I was really doing to it. If I was able to jump back onto the titan I would open the hatch and drop a grenade to deal some damage the hull. I honestly thought I was doing some wrong too.

Was the line pretty short? I was able to jump back in line and play 3 more times with almost no wait yesterday

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Insert name here posted:

I hope the greatest gun ever created in a video game, the Smart Pistol, makes a comeback

I overheard one of the devs say that the smart pistol is coming back but with tweaks, thats all he could say about it.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Perestroika posted:

It's the future, where are my lasers?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

runchild posted:

What I've heard is that now when you rodeo an enemy Titan you automatically rip out a battery or something, toss a grenade in, and hop off. No more hatch-popping. The "battery" can then be given to a friendly Titan to restore health and maybe some core charge. Which is especially useful since Titans don't have a recharging shield anymore.

That explains A LOT, it felt like my titan was a little more squishy than the previous game. Interesting. That also explains what I was supposed to do with the shield core, sometimes I would die and it would give me a message saying I dropped a shield core or something but I never knew what to do with it.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Huh, so that's what that loading screen tip I saw was about. Interesting change, wonder how you're supposed to give the battery to a friendly titan since when I did it I didn't notice any prompts pop up or anything. I didn't have much of a chance to look closely though.

I wonder if it will do it automatically if you jump on a friendly titan if you had the shield battery with you.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

MrBond posted:

I'm wondering if the bone crew will stick with bone or go to PC or PS4. Gonna be way harder to figure out which platform everyone is using :(

Do people still play TF1? I played one game on xbone the other day and was /awful/ all over again. :(

I'm still playing it, I actually played with a small group last night, mostly play attrition. Add me, GT: Wazzit.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Wait what?! Noooooooo. What else can go in the grappling slot?

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/pilots/
Here are the 3 announced abilities, from what I played the grappling hook was too much fun not to use and I didn't bother with the other abilities. I guess the tactical ability determines what your player looks like, so if you choose the grappling hook you get this suave looking spectre with a cool scarf.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Antoine Silvere posted:

Yeah, I kind of regret picking the holo decoy class in my second game, grappling hook is way better :(

Did you turn invisible when you used it?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Some robots wear scarves, some robots wear oddly fashionable double raccoon tails on their antennas.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah Blisk was definitely the guy on what I assumed to be the IMC side, if I recall he had that dumb knife he'd twirl around like the first game, no dialog though. The other side (I had assumed it was still militia) was a generic pilot guy twirling a pistol.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

I'll be going tonight, might do a small write up on my experience.

I was there yesterday too, around 4:00. Still not a big fan of the new Bounty Hunter mode, but the core gameplay is a lot of fun. I was able to land a few Titan executions and the animation of the Titan jamming it's huge gun into the enemy cockpit never got old. Felt like an idiot because when I played it at the EA Play event I couldn't figure out how to switch to the anti-titan weapon as I kept hitting right on the Dpad but they switched it over to the weapon swap button, so I guess anti-titan weapons replace pilot sidearms? Don't know how I missed that. Also accidentally picked up a shotgun and it surprisingly had really good range on it. I would even compare it's range to a SPAS from MW2, not quite the rate of fire though.

sarmhan posted:

The battery you steal is used to give your Titan some shield HP, IIRC.

I found this out after I first played it, so when I played this time I tried it out, stole an enemy battery and grappled onto a friendly titan but as I was inserting the battery the Titan blew up. :shrug:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-note/

No "Multiplayer Tech Test" on PC. Only on Xbox and PS4.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez6G3Zv4u30

:rock:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Was able to get the beta early, doing some streaming

https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

From what I've played so far I'm not really a big fan of this Bounty Hunt mode. They've made some additions from the earlier builds I played such as the bounty system between players and the bank system, but the scoring system still seems a little confusing and I feel like most of the action seems to take place away from the AI spawn, which is where you earn most of your points? Also doing most of the damage on an AI Titan only to have an enemy fire one last bullet to finish it off and get the bounty feels really cheap, in the old build you had to execute or rodeo the titan to earn the bounty kill, no idea why they left that out.

I hope Attrition or some version of it is going to be in this game, I can't see myself playing this game mode too often, I'd even rather play Hard point than this.

Knifegrab posted:

Hopefully we can all customize our waifu titans.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160817005854/en/Buffalo-Wild-Wings-Partners-Electronic-Arts-Respawn

From the picture in this article it looks like you can at least put some kind of skin on it. :allears:

e: added pic

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 18, 2016

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

There was a mode called Pilot Skirmish that was 8 v 8 or something and it was only pilots, no Titans. It was really boring.

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently the Bounty Hunt mode is replacing Attrition.

That would be a REAL bummer.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 19, 2016

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

The shoulder mounted laser on the Ion Titan is really satisfying when you land the hit, it's like they've attached a OHK sniper rifle to your Titan. Just be sure to manage your energy properly, I'm an idiot and just realized last night that the alternate fire (ADSing) on the primary Ion weapon drains your ability energy for vortex shield and the shoulder laser, using the default attack (hip firing) does not drain energy and having multiple shoulder blasts in the pocket against Titans is super useful, especially for pilots taking pot shots at you with the charge beam.

Volcanic Vents posted:

We got a bone krew network up yet? I NEED TO NETWORK!

Played one game of Bounty Hunt so far. I dug it, but I'll still miss attrition. It was on the map with the big open field area, and admittedly there are parts that are pretty wallrun-unconducive.

Also it's gonna be hard breaking the habit of pushing d-pad left for my anti-Titan weapon. I kept wasting my amped weapon charge :c

I made a BOYS clan held over from COD goons, under Boy Team Super Xtreme. What's your GT?

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

They mattered in Attrition. I loved the AI dudes because they weren't pilots, just regular grunts and it made you feel like the coolest super soldier as you bounced around with your jump pack and piloted a giant god drat mech while they tried to defend points. TF1 made you feel like such a god drat bad-rear end it was incredible.

Pretty much this. It's a massive step back if they don't include Attrition.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Volcanic Vents posted:

VolcanicVents. Yeah, I'm really creative with my online personae!

E: I don't understand how I can be so much worse at this one than the original.

Haha, same, I'm Wazzit on XBL. I'll add you.

The movement is slowed down a bit and I don't think the maps are all that great, the TF1 maps were better designed for wallrunning and mobility. These maps are too open and a lot of the Titan and Pilot combat feel too segregated from each other since there's really not a real good way to combat Titans out in the open other than chain grappling onto them. Feels like a different game at times, especially with Bounty Hunt not being that great of a mode.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I have a lot of gripes about the changes, and I'm really hoping Attrition is in the final game, but I am still having a lot of fun with it. Ion's shoulder laser is pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3hTP2z53s

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Using the chest laser on pilots is overkill but pretty god drat satisfying :rock:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Just did some testing and it seems ttk is actually longer than tf1 so not sure what you are all on about.

TTK seems fine to me but I wonder if giving everyone amped damage cards by default and not being too difficult to obtain is the cause of some of the complaints.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

If you see grapple incoming when your a Titan you can also just hold up your heart shield if you scorch to fry em. Ooh also if you are being grappled, left in the d pad will turn on electric smoke. It has some cool down that I don't think is displayed.

Any idea if that electric smoke is some type of streak reward? I randomly have it at times.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Javes posted:

Instagibbing pilots with the shoulder mounted laser is too much fun.

It's so god drat satisfying.

Streaming the last few hours of the beta.

https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 22, 2016

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i keep hearing the MP doesnt have grunts/specters anymore and that they scrapped attretion mode? is that true?

There's been no official word from Respawn about Attrition coming back, they have said that "Bounty Hunt" is an "evolution" of attrition. The amount of AI in those modes is minuscule compared to how many they had in Attrition.

Respawn Producer posted:

"The game mode is 'Bounty Hunt,' an evolution of Attrition from the last game," McCoy said. "It's a really good casual mode. It's very target-rich and great if you have 10 minutes to get to grips with this game while you're playing it."

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Roman posted:

Thing is, Titanfall 1's lead designer went back to Infinity Ward to be the lead multiplayer designer on Infinite Warfare. I will be amused if COD:IW multi ends up being more fun than Titanfall 2

I didn't know this, is this Steve Fukuda?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Well weekend two is probably going to be a ghost town then

I'm still looking forward to playing it. Bounty Hunt grew on me but it's definitely not the mode I would want play when the full game is released, and man it would be a bummer if that is the new "TDM/Attrition" mode.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah that interview is not very reassuring.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

Respawn addressing some of the feedback and are adjusting accordingly.

quote:

We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.

Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.

Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.

Titan dashes will recharge faster.

We’re going to bring in the fade distance for enemy outlines so they don’t reveal pilots at extreme distances.

Nothing on Attrition. rip

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 24, 2016

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Mordja posted:

I'm in a holding pattern until release. If it's good, I'll get TF2. If it's not, I'll get BF1, or just wait until it's cheaper and all the DLC is out.

Gonna get both because I'm an idiot and have no self control. :shepspends:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Archive of my livestream from the last hours of the Tech Test on Sunday, mostly Bounty Hunt and talking about RPing as former Bankers. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ8MXa_sDOs

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Did you literally just upload this? The quality is bad but I know if its a new upload the quality will get better over time and I legit wanna watch.

Huh. Weird, you're right it's capped at 480p. I had Twitch upload it to YouTube, I didn't know it had some type of quality cap, that's a bummer.

Here's the Twitch link if that looks any better. :shrug:
https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute/v/84983526

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Niggurath posted:

So it might be worth taking a look into but I notice you don't seem to slide much and honestly constantly sliding is the way to go. You can kinda bunny hop with the extra speed from the slide and used in conjunction with the grapple you'll basically be a ball of hard to hit momentum.

I'm pretty terrible at bunny hopping, but I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Knifegrab posted:

I think twitch keeps non-prime-time users recordings at low res, so they probably uploaded what they had to youtube, as the twitch one is not better. That being said still gonna watch it. Like Antoine said, you are a loving mosnter with that laser. I'm primarily a PC guy so using the controller is an act of frustration and seeing you do it so flawlessly is crazy to me.

Thanks, the shoulder laser is super powerful, wondering how the balance will be once people realize how much range it has.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Patch notes for this weekend, looks like they've implemented some of the changes to this version. (Don't know how that works since this build is also from June :shrug: )

https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/3323/titanfall-2-pre-alpha-tech-test-weekend-2-patch-update-x1-ps4#latest

quote:

Here are the patch notes for the second weekend of Tech Test. Please make sure you install the update to the Tech Test so that you can experience these updates yourself.
TIME TO KILL
Amped Weapons Boost now unlocks at 80% of the earn meter instead of 50%.
Charge Rifles now have damage falloff at cross map distances.
Slightly increased cloak visibility for other Pilots.
We think the abundance of Amped Weapons is a large contributor to lower time to kill. We’re still adjusting individual weapon balance for ship.
MOBILITY
Increased max wall-running speed.
Increased base wall-running speed and air speed.
Increased acceleration while jumping off walls.
Titans dashes recharge 2 seconds faster
Training is unaffected by these changes, ensuring Gauntlet records will remain valid.
TITAN TIMER
Pilots now earn a small amount of Titan meter every 5 seconds.
This value may be undertuned until we can take a pass at how much meter you earn from objectives.
BOUNTY HUNT
Score Limit lowered to 5000 from 6000 to increase the amount of games won by score instead of time.
Banking phases now last 45 seconds instead of a minute.
TECHNICAL FIXES
Fixed some issues with the outer deadzone on PlayStation controllers.
We wanted to note and apologize for “Invite Friends” still being broken in this build. We needed to get the patch to certification quickly to ensure gameplay changes could make it in for this weekend, so we couldn’t get to this in time.
AMPED HAPPY HOUR EVENT
Lastly we will be offering players the chance to receive this callsign for launch when you play the Amped Happy Hour event this Saturday. All you need to do is play between the hours of 9-10am PT/5-6pm GMT or 4-5pm PT Saturday/12-1am GMT Sunday and you’ll get this exclusive callsign when Titanfall 2 releases on October 28.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Antoine Silvere posted:

Source? As far as I know this hasn't been confirmed.

They have been pretty quiet about all the complaints about no Attrition since the rumors started. There was a quote from a Polygon article about Bounty Hunt being the new Attrition

Respawn Producer posted:

"The game mode is 'Bounty Hunt,' an evolution of Attrition from the last game," McCoy said. "It's a really good casual mode. It's very target-rich and great if you have 10 minutes to get to grips with this game while you're playing it."

Yesterday I asked the lead engineer at Respawn on twitter about it and he surprisingly kinda confirmed that it's not in the game.

https://twitter.com/jonshiring/status/768978057931526144

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 26, 2016

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

el B posted:

What is attrition, and why is everyone making GBS threads over themselves for it?

It's basically Team Deathmatch. AI Grunts and Spectres count as 1 point, Pilot kills are 4 and Titans are worth 5. First to 300 wins. It's a fun simple chaotic game mode that is easy to pick up and play.

I would be fine with Attrition being removed if it had a worthy successor, Bounty Hunt is definitely not that.

It's like that annual joke that we make in the COD thread about "OH MAN THEY GOT TDM AND DOM IN THIS GAME!!!" but this time around they don't include these modes so we are only left with Uplink and Blitz. :shrug:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

No, it looks like they're pandering to the COD crowd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLfQTyCdsgU

:downs:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Some idiot that covers call of duty and is bad at Titanfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Same on Xbox. Attrition playlist population would be at 1500+ while pilot skirmish would barely be like 8 players. (This is within the last few months)