Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's neat in theory, but it makes for lovely gameplay and using it is boring as hell.

It's a skill floor weapon, it's brilliant design. Every other weapon kills faster. It exist purely for bad players, or people who don't ever pay twitch sports. One of the best ideas ever had in a shooter. The amped version were retarded tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

AHHHHHH OH MY GOD WALL RUN OR SOMETHING. GO FAST FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK

I hate that these people get the game early. THESE PEOPLE!

If you want to get really mad go watch the polygon Doom 2016 footage from release day. It's comical really, people that get paid to review video games are objectively bad at playing video games.

Video for reference:

https://youtu.be/d3pQ0oO_cDE

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Gerstman from giantbomb gave TF2 a 5/5. I cannot wait till Thursday night...

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/titanfall-2-review/1900-756/

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Was there ever a in universe explanation for health regen? I don't know why but I love when there's a in universe explanation

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Alice Liddell posted:

Will this have a strong community on PC?

The last one did till they hosed everything up with the DLC. Even after there were a buncha die hards that did tournaments and stuff.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Its always been like that, main competition is either PC or Xbone.

Game is fun but holy poo poo the TTK is so low in this, I feel like if I blink I die.

Biggest tip too deal with low ttk is to hip fire, A LOT. You only need to ads for long ranges. Mobility essentially increases your ttk

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Refunded this poo poo, it really just makes me pine for the first game. I think a lot of the design decisions remind of the MW1->MW2 leap, with an elegant core design cluttered up by a lot of gimmick abilities and instant deaths. The maps don't seem built for any kind of wallrun flow. I think they must have panicked after the technical test and tried to speed up movement, but it was too late to alter the map geometry.

You're crazy. The maps all have a great wall run flow. Also mw1 core abilities were all boring as gently caress. The only one I feel is a bit boring in tf2 is tone

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Smart Core best core. Legion 4 lyfe

I got a quintuple pilot kill in attrition when i though i had accidentally wasted my core. They were all trying to rush me with anti titan weaps and ordnance :madmax:

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Carecat posted:

Crash Site is by far the worst map. Huge open canyons with nowhere to really go so hide at the sides or get smashed by Titans who have even less places to go.

It's also got super stupid spawns. One spawn can oversee the other at the start of the map, it's fish in a barrel every time.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

There's no way to get a refund if I bought this from GMG is there? I played through the campaign, it was cool, played a couple multiplayer matches and was disappointed. So now I have a game I bought at launch that I'll probably never play again.

I ate this slice of cake but didn't really like the icing, please retrieve the full slice from my stomach and give me my monies back please.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

It is weaker than every other core ability in the game for sure. I use it from a distance , just spraying it on titans engaged with my teams titans. Honestly it is more effective to kill pilots with it than titans.

I had a realization around why legion and tone feel so powerful, it's because they are the only titans who can use their defensive ability while attacking / using their core.

I think the strydr class titans need a huge damage reduction while coreing, and ion and scorch just need large damage buffs, because their cores seemingly don't do crazy amounts of damage.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You are mad laser core is absolutely fantastic.

I dunno it feels like it does strictly less damage than salvo core by a lot. :shrug:

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Thunder Lipps posted:

So out of all of the starting weapons, I am only not terrible with the CAR. What primary should I unlock next? Should I just stick with sub machine guns?

Every smg is a beast. I think alternator might be the best weapon in the game, but I'm doing crazy good with the r-97.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

So I never used the phase rewind boost, but apparently you can use it while dead and it will bring you back to life :stare:

Gonna have to try that out when I'm home.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Do you have a link? Because you have to activate it, there is a delay to using it when you click your little pda which I can't imagine you can do while dead...

I dumb, misinterpreted the post. Apparently when you respawn you can rewind you where you were before death.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

After putting some serious time in with Ion......

I think he might be the worst titan. His main gun is anemic, his super takes forever to build, and the tripwires are so obvious no one ever bumps into them. He has a much much harsher combo mechanism than tone does, its just really a bad package all around.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Just wanted to say, hot drat does smart pistol make people rage. I had to unlock it with cash after getting so many complaints.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh, cool. I was definitely affected by the texture streaming hitches and unreliable Titan executions, so it's nice to see them fix things so fast.

I was low health in tone with a doomed ronin meleeing me, I tried to execute him two times and nothing happened, on the third I saw an animation start and thought "Oh good, it finally triggered."

It was his execution on me :(

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just figured out the campaign ending, the helmet getting all scrambled and then listing the 3 protocols is BT uploading his data. Sly dog.

He actually uploads himself to your computer quite clearly in the time warp mission in order to keep talking to you in between time warps.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Fun ronin fact: you can start to nuclear eject while in phase dimension! :science:

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Personal titan balance thoughts:

Ronin and Northstar : reduce health by 2500, give regenerating 2500 health shield.

Legion : fine as is. Perhaps increase spin up time VERY SLIGHTLY.

Scorch : really damage feels a bit underwhelming. Mainly because he had no way to force people to stay in his traps for any significant period. I think perhaps having firewall prevent dashing on hit would work?

Tone: remove the extra tracking rockets perk. It's the only perk that flat it out increases a titans damage. Replace it with tracking rockets fly much faster instead.

Ion: remove energy cost of secondary fire. Add a way more obvious ui overlay for the energy / laser combo.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 2, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So remove the other 4 Titans then? Because nobody is going to play them anymore when the two highest-mobility Titans in the game can engage-disengage at will with devastating peek-a-boos and a regenerating shield to soak the return fire.

Literally every other titan than the stryders have regenerating shields.

Right now stryders just get chipped away too fast too be viable against anyone not brainless.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

No they don't. No titans have regenerating shields.

Apparently vortex shield, thermal shield, shield wall, and gun shield aren't shields.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

So in your mind ronin's phase dash, an ability which makes him literally immune to all damage does not count as a shield? Or his sword deflect which reduces all damage he receives by half?

When you talk about shields, most people assume you mean a regenerating shield like titanfall 1. Most of the shields you're describing are directional and relatively weak. Ronin's ability to negate all damage for a period of time while also moving quickly might be the best "shield like" ability.

An omni-directional regenerating shield like titanfall 1 is a terrible solution, it would be very very strong, especially on highly mobile titans. Northstar is supposed to have lovely defense, he's a sniper. Instead of a traditional shield style ability he has tether traps to lock enemies down and help him escape.

The shields I'm describing are anything but weak. They can all absorb an immense amount of damage. They all effectively act as extra regenerating health. Two of four shields let you continue to attack, and the other two can do immense damage with proper application.

Sword block still has you take substantial (compared to your total health pool) chip damage. It also kills ronins mobility and doesn't allow any kind of attack. You can't continue to dash with it up like other shields, it doesn't deter people from pressing the attack like other shields, and doesn't allow you to continue the assault like other shields. It's the shittiest shield there is.

Phase dash is potent, but it's got a weird place where ronin needs to be able to use it offensively and defensively.

For reference, I'm not someone who plays a ton of ronin/northstar and wants my mech buffed. My most played titans are legion scorch and tone. I think the stryders are all really weak.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 2, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

In Training posted:

You can dash with the sword block up

Maybe it's angle of effect needs to be wider? I was always assuming the buff was dropping cuz I've definitely taken large chunks while dashing with block up.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

In Training posted:

I think it's just not a great blocking tool, especially against somebody like legion. It's better to just escape than to play and be defensive

Agreedo. If I could drop sword block all together for a extra dash charge I would.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Conot posted:

I can't tell if this is a genuine question or a sick burn. :smith:

No, mouse and keyboard

Watching your second clip, you under aim a lot. You might need to slowly up your sens till you find your optimum setting.

Do you move the mouse with your wrist or arm?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Conot posted:

The issue with high sensitivity is effectively the third clip, where I overaim to the extent that every shot goes wide.

I tend to move the mouse with my wrist.

What's your dpi? It took a long time for me to get used to more arm based aiming but it's a lot better.

Edit: rewatched the clip, it looks like your over aim is due to over correcting under aim.

Double edit: watching really intently, I can't tell. It looks like underaim in parts and over aim in others

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 3, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Conot posted:

My mouse is adjustable but typically I'm playing with 4000 DPI

Whoa! Cs go pros use like 800, overwatch between 800 and 1200, and the highest end I've heard for quake pros is 1800 - 2200.

You might try dropping that down

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

So I've finally put some time into the holo pilot skill...... Its actually amazing. The Cd is so short you can spam it at any moment. Just throw it going a round a iffy corner, then kill the rube you just tricked. you can even leave one standing in place by a bank in bounty hunt.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

So is there any consensus on what the "best" loadout for Ronin is? I mean Turbo Engine's a no brainer, More Mobility = Better Than, but I can't seem to decide between Ricochet Rounds for more AI/Pilot lethality or Temporal Anomaly for even MORE stupid Ronin tricks.

Also, having Edgelord Future Ken Watanabe as the AI automatically makes it the best.
"Transferring control to Pilot. The blade is in your hands." :zoro:

I actually don't think turbo engine is the best. The nuke is great, because if you are aggressive people have already been backed in to a corner. They can't escape it and more often than not you get a free titan again from the nuke :D

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 5, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Tone and legion still monsters, I am not really seeing any change...

It feels like tones enhanced aiming on the tracker rounds has been toned down a LOT. Shes not longer a pilot annihilator.

It also feels like legions spinup time is worse than before, making him easier to hit and run.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Ok, feels like the patch didn't really alter tone / legion dominance sadly. Tone has zero weak areas still, and legion just really isn't susceptible to hit and run attacks.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

That's a good point, but you can buffer in the ejection sequence it seems now. I start mashing the eject button at low health and i haven't been terminated yet while doing it.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

The devotion is pretty good guys.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Insert name here posted:

When you kill someone who doesn't understand that Cloak without Low Profile still leaves a jump pack trail:

you will also leave footprints in water / mud. Also your outline is VERY VERY faintly noticeable.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Nalin posted:

I also always see a glowing red dot on a cloaked pilot in my Titan. Is that some sort of jump pack heat effect or something? It completely gives away the pilot's location for me.

Thats your jump pack. The pilot perk low profile removes it.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

Here's a spreadsheet.

Finally got around to picking this up after enjoying the Tech Test. The biggest question I have is how do I play defense against other titans? I was using Ion and the shield didn't seem to do anything.

Going to write a quite rundown of basic titan strats for each titan.

Ion
Combat Style : Long range hit and run.
Good Maps : Any
Strong Against : Legion, Tone, Pilots.
Weak Against : Ronin & Scorch up close.
Strong Kits : Grand cannon, Turbo Engine.
General Strategy : Your shoulder laser is your primary damage source, A crit hit on a titan takes one full health pip. Land 2 -3 lasers then push forward when the enemy falls back or if you build your core. If you are on the defensive use all power for trip mines and vortex shield, both do surprising damage (learn to lead a little with vortex shield, the things it captures go out with less momentum then they came in, with the exception of legions bullets.). If Legion or Ronin are in very close range you best be may be to turn and run to try and create space and hit your critical hit points. For tone every three cannon hits pull of vortex. 2ez

Tone
Combat Style : Medium to long range sustained damage.
Good Maps: Any
Strong Against : Everything.
Weak against : Good legions & ions, Melee range scorch.
Strong Kits : Enhanced Particle Wall, everything else is usable.
General Strategy : Only expose yourself when P wall is available. Otherwise fall back while dealing damage. Against Ions watch out for vortex shield. Good Legions will be super annoying, they will only engage at long range when bulwark is off cd, and up close will just eat hits to move through your Pwall. Don't be afraid to use your higher speed to re position to a more favorable engagement range.

Legion
Combat Style : DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA
Strong Against : All titans and pilots, Poor ion players
Weak Against : good ion players.
Strong Kits : Bulwark, Lightweight Alloys, Turbo Engine.
General Strategy : Engage your opponent only in their non preferred range. You can't beat them in their home turf but you will dominate any titan outside comfort zone. Get close to northstar, ion, and tone. Stay away from ronin and scorch.

Scorch
Combat Style : Close range brute
Good Maps: Complex, Crash Site, Drydock.
Strong against : Everything when close
Weak Against : Pilots, anything at range
Strong Kits : ONLY EVER USE ENHANCED FLAME SHIELD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TAKE ANYTHING ELSE , Turbo Engine & Nuke.
General Strategy : all of your damage comes from abilities, the thermite gun is the lowest dps titan weapon in the game. Scorch abilities are the highest damage dealing abilities in the game. Try to land traps behind your target then move up with your shield. Either the take damage, or they take damage. There's no shame in running from a unfavorable engagement to find a better angle. Scorch takes finesse, don't force it.

Ronin
Combat Style : Hit and Run Vulture
Strong Against : Weakened Titans
Weak Against : Full health titans, Scorch up close.
Strong Kits : Double Arc Charge is probably the best but everything is usable here. Always run nuke with ronin though.
General Strategy : Really ronin is the 2 in the 1-2 punch. Wait for pilots or other titans to engage, then flank. Your standard routine should be unload shotgun at crit spot, Phase while reloading, unload, then bail if enemy still has substantial health. I don't think mashing sword does more dps than shotgun reload, so don't spaz out and keep hammering normal melee, you will lose every fight if you do that. You can fall back while using sword block so that your target didn't get a beneficial trade from the engagement. Try to use sword core on lone unsupported titans, there's nothing they can really do about it.

Northstar
Combat Style : Hit and Run Vulture
Good Maps : Anything except Complex, Crash Site, Drydock.
Strong Against : Extreme Range Titans
Weak Against : Close to medium range titans
Strong Kits : Enhanced Cluster Missile. Extra dash, Nuke if you can consistently tether trap folks with it.
General Strategy : Northstar is really just a more annoying ion. Get a hit then run Don't walk your northstar into shooting position, you'll take tons of damage from ions and legions that way. You really need to dash out of cover, shoot then dash back in. Only use your super for panic damage as it isn't really good for anythign else right now.

You'll notice I bolded both Enhanced P-Wall and Bulwark. I did this because these kits are BROKE AS gently caress. Each will absorb 3/4ths of a non grand cannon ion blast and 3/4ths (or 100%, depending on how many missles get directed at you) of a Salvo Core.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 29, 2016

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I'm going to disagree with pretty much everyone here and say cloak is the best tactical.

With taci-kill 2 kills will recharge the ability, and this can be done while cloak is active.

Cloak is the only tactical that passively impedes target acquisition, which makes it the best choice for fighting pilots.

With how fast paced the game is and how used to the red outline people are even though you can still be seen by pilots you will be surprised by how effective cloak is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Cloak is really really good. It might be second best behind phase shift, but nothing will ever be better than phase shift. Though there can be time when using cloak is the smarter choice.

I think it's really just a play style thing. I want to actively gently caress over my enemies, rather than react to them loving me over