Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr.Citrus posted:

I actually don't think turbo engine is the best. The nuke is great, because if you are aggressive people have already been backed in to a corner. They can't escape it and more often than not you get a free titan again from the nuke :D

Snuffman posted:

I'm a huge fan of nuclear eject, just cause I'm usually near a titan when I die so "IM TAKING YOU WITH ME! ARRRGH!", and the improved force-slash just for titan disruption. I get the feeling I'll be taking temporal anomaly when I unlock it though.

If this plays out like TF1 the problem is that if you are that aggressive then once you're at a high rank you just get executed out of the cockpit before you can eject/nuke, and if you're not super aggressive then everyone just uses their dodges to put a corner/distance between you and them. And if you don't use the nuke outfit then they get even more aggressive with the executions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you're up close when you're doomed it's probably over.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
titanfall 1 is actually dead on PC because some nerd got salty and is running a bot that auto-disconnects you out of the menus and respawn gives no fucks

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eyud posted:

Bought this game for a friend recently and after playing the campaign his reaction was basically "what the gently caress how is this game so good and why didn't more people play it".

Game still owns!

pretty much cause it got very little advertising and the launch was bookended by 2 AAA launches that actually did advertise

EA hosed Respawn over hard. Twice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Either Respawn finally fixed that exploit that hacker was using to disconnect everyone from the lobby or he wasn’t running them last night or something, so I finally got to play Tf1 again for the first time in like 5 years. :neckbeard:

(on PC)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 14, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lumpy posted:

The best part of the SP campaign starts at the beginning and goes all the way to the end.

they’re good levels, bront

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yeah he actually disappeared around christmas, I played a couple tf1 games since then and mostly got nuked anyway :q:

(haven't played tf1 in literally 5 years before that)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
tbh in Titanfall 1 I actually do better on foot than in my titan. Running around and zapping bots with the smart pistol is piss easy and scores major points, and the MAG launcher shreds titans, but for some reason I just can't get back into the swing of titan piloting. (specifically the reason is probably the sweaties who haven't put the game down in 6 years...)

I probably just need to play more, wait for a friendly titanfall before I drop, and get better at playing 40mm peek-a-boo.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 21, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stan Taylor posted:

You’d get them like constantly and they had various rarities like magic cards or whatever. You could use them I think before a match or maybe on deaths, but they were each one time use. I mostly just didn’t use them and maybe only used one or two of the rarer ones because of that rpg item hoarding mentality. Brains are weird.

you got them so fast it was actually problematic, if you were over 100 cards or whatever then you couldn't specifically pick the cards and they were randomly selected for you.

basically, the best approach was to sell the random low-value cards for credits for forged certifications to unlock prestige challenges that you don't like, and then just use the high-value ones fairly freely.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wazzit posted:

What I like about Titans having locked weapons and abilities is that whenever I see a Titan I more or less would know how to deal with it having an idea of their strength and weaknesses again the Titan I’m using. I do remember being disappointed when they first announced the changes from TF1 for Titan load louts but I mean, having played this for 4 years it makes a lot of sense and I can see why they did it.

Mitigating this somewhat was the fact that there were very clear “best choices” for most slots. You almost never saw anyone run any tactical except cluster missile, you almost never saw anyone run anything except electric smoke, you almost never saw anyone run anything except 40mm cannon except maaaybe triple threat or plasma railgun or rocket launcher occasionally. Can’t be surprised by an enemy loadout if everyone is running the same poo poo /taps forehead.

(triple threat is bae, but does leave you really exposed outside midrange. Completely fucks poo poo up inside its range though, huge damage and good area denial for loving up pilots trying to play games with you.)

What TF1 really needed was a balance pass on its weapons because some of them were just obvious winners and the rest of the options couldn’t compete.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 2, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
PC population is like 10 guys who still play on weekends and stuff, and there's no singleplayer (the "campaign" is a multiplayer campaign where other players play the enemies)

also there have been problems with a hacker who got mad that he was getting dumpstered (by actual players lol) and has been attacking the game servers in various forms to make it impossible to play - which is probably a large part of the reason it's basically zero now. Before the shenanigans started the player population was not great, like maybe dozens normally to hundreds during peak hours, but that guy basically killed the whole game and Respawn just let him do it for more than a year.

the more recent form of his attacks is that trying to get into the multiplayer would crash with a message with random text, and then after that he found another way where you would go into a lobby by yourself but your lobby would never merge into anyone else's lobby, so unless you had a bunch of people who all joined at the same instant and were put in the same lobby from the start you would just queue forever

He seems to have tapered off (I bugged a respawn developer on reddit which may have helped? maybe they finally fixed it) but Respawn is not officially supporting this game anymore at all and it's teetering on the edge of literal unplayability so, uh, putting it on Steam is an interesting move for sure.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 20, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah, I’ll re download it yet again and see if there’s a bump in the player base.

Unfortunately it’s a pain to keep installed because it’s like 65 gigabytes, of which about 50gb is uncompressed wav audio files because XB360 couldn’t decode MP3 in real-time and respawn didn’t want to take the five minutes to build that support for the other platforms

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nope. Installer is busted and even when you get in game the servers are hosed. None of the map packs show as installed and you get booted out of session within seconds (any time you click "play" you are in lobby, and any time you are in lobby you will be booted back to menu within a few seconds). Literally unplayable, as in "cannot be played at all".

Dunno if it's the hacker or if Respawn is just that incompetent.

Well, that's it, this was Respawn's big chance to revitalize the PC player base. Game is officially dead now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just got a notification on my phone telling me how to change Siri’s voice.

Someone needs to tell me how to get SID.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Tone is super easy to use, I sometimes go back to him when I don't really want to deal with running around everywhere trying to ambush people as Scorch. Speaking of Tone, what's the thread consensus on his kits? I quite liked the second ping on the pulse echo kit simply because sometimes it's impossible to hit all the titans stacked up more than once each. Enhanced tracker rounds ping twice for critical hits but again you have to hit each at least twice rather than just get a single hit and two pings for free with the pulse echo.

the 40mm cannon that is Tone's primary has always been a great jack-of-all-trades weapon even in titanfall 1. Triple threat, plasma cannon, and rockets were viable in some situations but there was really nothing the 40mm was bad at.

drrockso20 posted:

They really should have had it so Tone could dummy fire his rockets instead of NEEDING a full lockon, just put it on a cooldown that resets if you get a full lockon

based on the video referenced earlier, I think they had it that way at launch and it was removed because it was super easy to lob missiles up and then lock on and arc them around a shield.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 5, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm imagining Scorch's dulcet tones, I apologise.

no SID voice, no play :colbert:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rockstar Massacre posted:

the smart pistol is awful at killing pilots, but a work of art when it comes to killing PvE mobs so it's very good actually

the thing with the smart pistol is that yes, in a square fight where both pilots see each other at the same time, you generally lose. but the 'timer' on the smart pistol starts running as soon as they're in your field of view (at any range), and all you have to do is wave your reticle around and it starts locking, so there is no chance of missing a pilot in the blur of combat. effectively it all means you have an awareness advantage that often means a fight is not a fair one where both pilots see each other at the same time.

of course in some of them the other pilot would have lost anyway because they just didn't see you at all.

also the enhanced targeting is basically a mandatory upgrade and it substantially improves the lockon speed. It's about 2 seconds from start to full lock, each lock is less than a second.

but yeah generally the people still playing tf1 are unreasonably mad about a weapon that's optimized for pve and not really all that great against pilots.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 7, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Blind Duke posted:

Quirky personality shooter is the name of the game nowadays. Which I'm down for so long as the quirky personalities are on the titan buddies alongside their serious human companions.

not interested in coming back until SID is back :mad:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SUNKOS posted:

I think it worked incredibly well and was actually balanced perfectly, especially when pilots had a tactical ability to cloak against titans and anti-titan weaponry was very powerful (and captured turrets firing at titans had to be neutralized or re-hacked since they could really drain a titan over time). I found the tactic of titans firing explosives at a wall point blank and turning around to frag rodeoing pilots an interesting development as time went on and even doing that would take a chunk off the titan's health, which unlike shields would not regenerate. I consider this much more graceful than TF2's battery system.

tf1 suffered from the same thing a lot of games do in their latter years which is that people found the absolute most optimal loadout, which broadly speaking for mechs was the light mech, 40mm cannon, cluster missiles, and electric smoke. The 40mm was absurdly consistent and accurate such that you basically had to have a specific reason to justify using anything else, cluster missiles and smoke were both extreme utility for anti-pilot generally and anti-rodeo specifically, as well as being just good general choices for area control/denial. The cluster missile in particular was an absolutely guaranteed kill against a rodeo pilot if you did it right (I guess unless you are in an area without walls to splash against but in that case pilots are extremely disadvantaged by the open terrain).

not saying there were no other viable loadouts, personally there were maps and situations where I was extremely fond of the triple threat due to the extreme damage against mechs at close range (this paired well with the mech that could do damage boost, don't remember if it was medium or heavy) as well as the ability to splash a large area inside buildings and gently caress up pilots (similar to what the cluster missile could do), but generally speaking 40mm was balanced for controller and wasn't toned down for PC and was just too accurate, the light mech's ability to dash core and force a kill against a disadvantaged enemy was extremely strong, and the combined ability of cluster and smoke to control area is a massive advantage.

with that loadout rodeos were never a challenge, often a free kill

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SUNKOS posted:

Agreed. First Titanfall handled that brilliantly for both pilots and titans. Also had a burn card for ultra stim :twisted:

Was also really satisfying when someone was going wild with a very rare burn card and you finally kill them and get the satisfying notification that you took that out as well. I know they were a contentious aspect of the game but I liked how they mixed things up, such as people starting the match in titans or someone having a card that auto-hacked nearby spectres to slowly build a little robot army following them around or camo so they mixed in with the AI. Was hoping Titanfall 2 would expand on that even more, not ditch it :(

burn cards would have been bad if they didn't hand them out like candy. If you actually played frequently, it actually became annoying to have to keep weeding out your library from poo poo that you never use - would have been nice if you could flag a given type of card for "auto-sell" and just click the auto-sell button every time you got another pack. cause given how freely they handed them out, unless you actively made sure to use all your cards every round, pretty soon you'd end up hitting the inventory limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ironically, I believe this person’s goal was to get TF3, or something similarly inane.

didn't that end up being a ruse and it was actually a korean studio trying to get Respawn to let them make a titanfall (gacha) MMO or something like that?

it was even more insane and delusional than the actual stories, because even if that's something that would ever happen, ddos'ing their games (including the cash-cow Apex Legends) is literally the exact opposite of what would endear you to respawn/EA.