Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

quote:

Microsoft is buying LinkedIn for $26.2 billion, the company announced on Monday.

"Think about it: How people find jobs, build skills, sell, market and get work done and ultimately find success requires a connected professional world. It requires a vibrant network that brings together a professional’s information in LinkedIn’s public network with the information in Office 365 and Dynamics. This combination will make it possible for new experiences such as a LinkedIn newsfeed that serves up articles based on the project you are working on and Office suggesting an expert to connect with via LinkedIn to help with a task you’re trying to complete.

"As these experiences get more intelligent and delightful, the LinkedIn and Office 365 engagement will grow. And in turn, new opportunities will be created for monetization through individual and organization subscriptions and targeted advertising."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/microsoft-buys-linkedin-2016-6?r=US&IR=T

looking forward to our MS overlords expanding into the bathroom suite industry to track user poop time on the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
lovely work Facebook sold for $26 billion? Lol, nice valuation, idiots

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish somebody would buy me out.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
linkedin already sucks poo poo so who cares

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Wow I look forward to the expert it's going to connect me with when I'm working on 15+ year old mission critical spreadsheets driven by VBA and ado. My guess is it will just link me directly to their obituary.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
rip eResumes Online for Workgroups

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i haven't been on linkedin in 2 years

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have a LinkedIn because you're supposed to I guess. It's so weird to login every once and awhile and see people using it as their facebook.

Maybe don't share your homophobic rants on the website that is supposed to be for job networking!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
what do you mean you don't pay for linkedin premium to get that first class networking experience from your couch?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

I have a LinkedIn because you're supposed to I guess. It's so weird to login every once and awhile and see people using it as their facebook.

Maybe don't share your homophobic rants on the website that is supposed to be for job networking!

lotta homophobes in the business world tho. it probably isn't the worst idea.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
noticed you weren't reviewing those important documents while you were pooping; are you really dedicated to this project

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chinatown posted:

linkedin already sucks poo poo so who cares

This is why you aren't employed by a world class organization like Microsoft. They have teams of people already working on ways to make LinkedIn suck even more.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
actually a newsfeed on project connections and experts related to what i'm doing sounds kinda cool because i could reach out to the people with questions and then when we establish a rapport I'll send them a pic of my dilz

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
Can I get a posting endorsement?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

[As marketing] gets more intelligent and delightful...

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
this is the point where if you like making long plays you short MSFT and never stop laughing

it's like a mortgage where the amount to pay back just disappears down a trash can

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 13, 2016

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

i deleted my linkedin years ago but i still get requests and poo poo i try to unsubscribe it but it tells me to log into linkedin to do so it's a pretty good racket they're running

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Seems like a lot of money to pay for a website I continually ignore invitation emails from.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Seems like a lot of money to pay for a website I continually ignore invitation emails from.

one time I went on there and immediately realized that everyone it was linking me to were people I hated in real life and would never trust as business connects or partners in anything ever

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chomp8645 posted:

all i ever get are random requests from indian dudes that i don't know

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
According to my calculations they could have bought 10.48 Minecrafts for that amount of money. I think that would have been a better investment.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I can't even imagine the dumb tech business idiot bubble you'd have to exist in where multiple people put together and approve a deal to buy linkedin for $26 billion, holy moley

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aralan posted:

I can't even imagine the dumb tech business idiot bubble you'd have to exist in where multiple people put together and approve a deal to buy linkedin for $26 billion, holy moley

That's a good price, actually.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
LinkedIn was heavily pushed on my in college but as I now work in my field of study I've found I never use it.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That's a good price, actually.

Price/Earnings (TTM) 0.00x
Price/Sales (TTM) 5.45x
Price/Book 3.80x
Price/Cash Flow 45.01x
LNKD was not profitable in its latest fiscal year, therefore the P/E Ratio is not applicable. Its Price to Cash Flow Ratio would give an alternative indication of its expense relative to the Computer Services industry.

loving lol

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That number is ridiculous. LinkedIn is useless.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the tech meltdown is gonna rule so hard

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thunderbro posted:

Price/Earnings (TTM) 0.00x
Price/Sales (TTM) 5.45x
Price/Book 3.80x
Price/Cash Flow 45.01x
LNKD was not profitable in its latest fiscal year, therefore the P/E Ratio is not applicable. Its Price to Cash Flow Ratio would give an alternative indication of its expense relative to the Computer Services industry.

loving lol

STFU bitch

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chinatown posted:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Aralan posted:

Yeah the valuation on tech companies lately has just been bonkers.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Chinatown posted:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Chinatown posted:

But who will be left to innovate and disrupt?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
should've funded star citizen

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

LinkedIn was heavily pushed on my in college but as I now work in my field of study I've found I never use it.

LinkedIn is vaguely useful as a professional as it means you might be able to find a hiring manager at a company you'd like to interview at, and you might be able to get them a message or learn a little about them before you meet them- but contacting them requires them to check their LinkedIn mail which almost nobody ever does and LinkedIn is terrible about sending you notifications about stuff like that.

It's probably most useful as a thing dull HR workers check after looking at your resume to see if there's anything else there that you didn't mention on the resume/cover letter (that they didn't actually read but ran through a text analysis app to see if you mentioned the 5 job terms they actually care about).

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

vaguely useful ... you might be able to find a hiring manager ... you might be able to get them a message or learn a little about them before you meet them
... but contacting them requires them to check their LinkedIn mail which almost nobody ever does
... LinkedIn is terrible

It's probably most useful as a thing dull HR workers check after looking at your resume

$26.2 BILLION dollars.

Who is in charge of these decisions because holy poo poo they must have great coke.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

*types a dick ascii in ms word*

Have fun reading my doc, micro$oft :twisted:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In light of this news I think that Notch really hosed up. He only got like two billion for Minecraft. Apparently Microsoft is convinced that they only way they will ever bring decent software to market again is to buy it from somebody else so I think he could have held out for a lot more.

Eagerly awaiting the news that Microsoft's CEO has launched a bold push to dominate the gaming market by purchasing GameFAQs for $38 billion.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
blue's news for 50 billion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Lowtax really should be trying to offload SA as a fundamental pillar of the internet for like $2 billion or something. If you trot out $20m they won't take you serious you gotta really puff the numbers up.

But the fact that you have a not half bad case for "SA came up with 'Let's Play'" might interest a bigger company by itself. I know MS would love to throw a wrench into Sony/PS4 if the cost is right.

• Locked thread