Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Xibanya posted:

a racing game in which your vehicle is literally a giant lizard brain on wheels.

We actually unironically discussed this possibility as a bit of a bitchy spiteful selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I jumped the gun. TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is still looking for a 3D artist for our award-winning, yet-to-be-announced game. A willingness to get dirty with wiring things up in UE4 in addition to pushing vertices around in Blender is a huge plus.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Xibanya posted:

a racing game in which your vehicle is literally a giant lizard brain on wheels.

Oi, you back off. That's our idea!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Xibanya posted:

It sounds like you've been listening in on more than just our brainstorming sessions

whoa the game could be called brainstorming

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I have a team now.

Sorry Leper khan :(

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

ALFbrot posted:

It sounds like you've been listening in on more than just our brainstorming sessions

whoa the game could be called brainstorming

No, barnbrainstorming would have to be an airplane game, not a wheeled vehicle.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Fayk posted:

No, barnbrainstorming would have to be an airplane game, not a wheeled vehicle.

Many airplanes have wheels

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Chernabog posted:

I have a team now.

Sorry Leper khan :(

:smuggo: that's right

All right! If my nongoon dev doesn't drop out of the running, that means I now have my full team! It's me on dev, art, writing, VO, maybe music, a nongoon also on dev, Chernabog on art, and nonperson Mihai Zetta on making pretty noises.

Now to reinstall Windows instead of procrastinating until my computer shits itself and dies midjam :downs:

EDIT: I also have a bounty that's rolling over from the Little Awful Jam! A steam copy of Contraption Maker to whoever makes the game with the best :iceburn: !

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 21, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The original historical context of Our Lizard Brain Goes Into Overdrive is also basically the setup for a Charles Atlas comic. Just put in lizard heads and more screaming.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
"Our Lizard Brain Goes Into Overdrive" sounds more like a Frank Zappa album than anything

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Still looking for a 2d artist to join us. You would be saving the jam from more lovely programmer-art, and lovely-programmer art.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Might be looking for someone to do pixel art here, too.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Team Cat Butts is officially formed. Worst case, you're forced to write "cat butts" on the wall of shame, which will be a personal victory for me.

... besides, I had a banner image for it already, so hey. Don't ask.

(if anyone wants to make voxel art, Team Cat Butts could probably use you, but worst case, Team Cat Butts will run with terrible programmer voxel art)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 21, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

JonTerp posted:

Why would you assume that? We made the themes, we've already discussed how best to judge adherence for each.

Did you think we actually intended people to just make games about lizards? (Should that theme be picked)

the most reposted thing in this thread is literally a video of dancing lizards. people are gonna make games with lizards if theme is about lizard brains

...Which is fine, but it will be a weird split when half of the games literally feature lizards and the other half are really abstract

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Sounds like you're already feeling the brain in overdrive aspect.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ok, I'll be that guy. What's the lizard brain thing referring to? That conspiracy theory where some people are actually lizard men in disguise?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Probably going to be doing something with UE4 for this.
I'm totally expecting to end up flying solo, but if anyone wants to team up, get at me.

Edit:

Great Beer posted:

Ok, I'll be that guy. What's the lizard brain thing referring to? That conspiracy theory where some people are actually lizard men in disguise?

Lizard brain" refers to the oldest part of the brain, the brain stem, responsible for primitive survival instincts such as aggression and fear ("flight or fight"),
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/where-addiction-meets-your-brain/201404/your-lizard-brain

It is in charge of fight, flight, feeding, fear, freezing-up, and fornication loving.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 21, 2016

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
The lizard brain is a term for the simple, animalistic part of your brain that controls basic instincts like fear, hunger, and reproduction. It's the part of the brain that controls the flight or fight mechanics and things like that. So our lizard brain going into overdrive could be interpreted as like your base, animal instincts taking over.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Great Beer posted:

I thought that Lizard Brain = Primitive Brain
e:too slow

Explosive Tampons fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 21, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Amstrad posted:

Probably going to be doing something with UE4 for this.
I'm totally expecting to end up flying solo, but if anyone wants to team up, get at me.

Edit:

Lizard brain" refers to the oldest part of the brain, the brain stem, responsible for primitive survival instincts such as aggression and fear ("flight or fight"),
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/where-addiction-meets-your-brain/201404/your-lizard-brain

It is in charge of fight, flight, feeding, fear, freezing-up, and fornication loving.

Some theme ideas might be:

(Probably not doing this one. Yours if you want it.) A sim game where you must pick one base instinct to ignore every turn. (This could also be a CYOA.) Example: "You see Karen. Karen is pretty. Do you resist the urge to: [throw your poo poo at your competitors] [whip out your junk] [eat a thousand twinkies]?"

(What we'll probably be doing if the theme is picked.) You are "the lizard brain" and you are responsible for dictating the actions of a swarm of creatures that you have to control simultaneously. Normally they make clockwise circles, but each key on your keyboard makes them switch direction, so you can get forward movement by rapidly typing 'qqqqqqqq'. How many can you control at once?

(The backup plan if the above idea isn't fun) You are racing your lizard against a bunch of others. You can't control it directly, but you can set the motivators for 'hunger', 'speed', and 'fear'. Then launch it down the track. It will move towards food based on the hunger drive, away from predators based on fear, and down the track based on speed. You have to rapidly tweak and optimize these to try to get to the finish, like bowling, but with a bowling ball that has some self-navigating ability.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Unfortunately, my lizard brain idea is like, polar opposite of acceptable as a game-for-grandma, so I really hope lizard gets picked.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Unfortunately, my lizard brain idea is like, polar opposite of acceptable as a game-for-grandma, so I really hope lizard gets picked.

I'm going to try to clone Tapper so I think any theme will work with a change of art assets. There's no way I'll win but I figure with something simple I'll at least get it finished.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Another Thing Named Colbert is looking for a 3D programmer to join our team. We are currently considering using UE4, although we've used Unity for past competitions and can use it again if necessary. Members currently consist of ScotchDK, handling 3D modeling and textures, and me, taking care of level design, UI design, and music/SFX (assuming I don't burn myself out again). The team has participated in four out of the five past game jams (in some form or another), usually ending up in the middle of the pack. Maybe you will be the programmer who gets us to the top!

If you're interested, send me a PM either on the forums or though the slack channel.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Shalinor posted:

(if anyone wants to make voxel art, Team Cat Butts could probably use you, but worst case, Team Cat Butts will run with terrible programmer voxel art)
To expand on this, Team Cat Butts could use a voxel artist to make art for an FPS. If you've seen me posting Spartan Fist crap, yes, the game will be something like that. Maybe with swords and stuff? Cat-based weaponry? Not sure. Probably not guns, because guns are boring. Maybe it will be entirely non-violent, even? I guess this depends a lot on theme, but I just had a great idea for Grandma, so hooray?

(because we changed engines back to Unity, we have to do a ton of re-engineering anyways, might as well try and poop a game out in the process as a test of all that)

... as an aside, dear god, nobody should use UFPS. Just write your own equivalent. UFPS is terrible. It's about 5-10% really good ideas, and the remainder is unadulterated horseshit.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 22, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
While I am a judge, I am allowed to contribute (I just can't judge anything I am in) so I'm offering

This stuff usually comes later in dev, so if you need something fast hit me up. In following the 3-developer rule, using outside actors is fine as long as they aren't really doing anything more than providing their voice.

Here is some crap so you can hear my voice: https://soundcloud.com/panicattackstudios/

I got a studio, and like using it, so give me crap to read drat you all.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Can I just get a few clips of you saying my name in a very sultry manner? It's for my game, I promise.

Willbutt
Mar 5, 2016
Hey, I might as well make my first post here. I participated in the last summer Awful Jam as System Logoff's music guy, and then I also participated in the Little Awful Jam under the same role, and also did my own thing. And at the very least I'm doing SysL's music this year. And I might also be doing my own thing. That's basically it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Will does amazing work.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Grandmas are obviously the best. :smuggo:

^^^NOT FOR THE JAM

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 22, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shalinor posted:

To expand on this, Team Cat Butts could use a voxel artist to make art for an FPS. If you've seen me posting Spartan Fist crap, yes, the game will be something like that. Maybe with swords and stuff? Cat-based weaponry? Not sure. Probably not guns, because guns are boring. Maybe it will be entirely non-violent, even? I guess this depends a lot on theme, but I just had a great idea for Grandma, so hooray?

(because we changed engines back to Unity, we have to do a ton of re-engineering anyways, might as well try and poop a game out in the process as a test of all that)

... as an aside, dear god, nobody should use UFPS. Just write your own equivalent. UFPS is terrible. It's about 5-10% really good ideas, and the remainder is unadulterated horseshit.

I thought you said it was pretty good in the other thread. Anything change your mind, or just a culmination of enough small (or massive) wtf's?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

leper khan posted:

I thought you said it was pretty good in the other thread. Anything change your mind, or just a culmination of enough small (or massive) wtf's?

Everything is bullshit forever.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

This got lost in the fold I guess so I wanted to ask again about its removal:

Doom Goon posted:

Hey, what's up with the Community Choice? Did it get gamed last year or something? Too similar to the critic's choice?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

leper khan posted:

Imagine a bucket that at first appears to be full of berries, and then under that layer is what seems to be a layer of cow poo poo, and you go "well these berries are fine if I wash them", and so you wash them and eat them, and then you put on gloves to reach in for more berries... and you keep reaching... and now you're up to your elbow in cow poo poo... wait how are you up to your elbow, this metaphor was clearly about just a bucket, of normal bucket depth... WAIT WHY IS THIS METAPHOR SELF-REFERENTIAL NOW, WE'RE BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL AND HAVE TARDISES FULL OF COW poo poo?... WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING...

That's UFPS.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Why the hell not. Might as well try and combine all my lovely OpenGL experiments into an engine and try and make something useful with it. I know making my own engine for a 1-month challenge is a Bad Idea; I guess I might just hate myself that much.

If there's a 3D artist/level designer/sound person out there who wants to embark on this journey with me, hit me up on PM/in this thread!

Joda fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 22, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Tremble before me, for after I got through the basic platformer tutorial in UE4 I played around and discovered the world time dilation, camera shake and camera fade functions!

:unsmigghh:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm dusting off the code I used for Chill Robot (reminder, available here: https://github.com/JosephCatrambone/Chill) and thinking "boy, what the gently caress was I thinking" a whole bunch. I took a _lot_ of shortcuts, but the project as a whole still seems pretty good. I need to go back and pull out the Chill-Specific things, but I'm going to keep a lot of the level stuff (and upgrade the map loader so I can paint collision tiles instead of drawing them by hand).

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh yeah! If anybody wants :siren:girl voice acting:siren: in their game let me know. Since I'll be working on my own game I probably won't have time to cut anything up but I can provide a clean recording (AKG c214 + Scarlett 2i2 should be good enough for a game jam!)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I came up with some rad ideas for Games for Grandma when I was trying to fall asleep last night, so I'm officially fine if that wins now. I hereby announce a truce with grandma-voters.

I'll be entering with my IRL artist friend that worked on Turbo Voynich Manuscript and Netflicks and Chill Man with me once again, but I'm not sure if I'll need anyone else yet. Though since I'm moving from AZ to Japan and starting a new job at the start of July, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to handle myself... Hmm.

I'm also trying to think of a better team name for Sexy Local Team in Your Area. I suggested ISIS like I did in both of the other jams, but it was shot down once again. drat.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Xibanya posted:

Oh yeah! If anybody wants :siren:girl voice acting:siren: in their game let me know. Since I'll be working on my own game I probably won't have time to cut anything up but I can provide a clean recording (AKG c214 + Scarlett 2i2 should be good enough for a game jam!)

Can you do granny VO???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shoehead posted:

Can you do granny VO???

probably :corsair: (why isn't there a female version of that? :arghfist::j: ) I haven't ever crafted a granny character so I'd have to mess around and see what I could do without actually straining but I reckon in a weird way it's probably not far off from boyvoice so what the hell, sure.

• Locked thread