Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

who is lol

There is no market for scorpio. The people that MS was planning on marketing scorpio to are already giving up on the bone and building/buying gaming PCs. The only people left are cheap parents that bought their kid a $199 bone this black friday because the ps4 was $299.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

shadow puppet of a posted:

4K up scaling is just using a 2x2 pixel grid as one, no?

Exactly. 1080p to 4k is a direct 2:1 mapping. I have a 50" 4k HDTV and 1080p looks great, and 4k looks even better. The 4k video I've watched has been some nature videos on Youtube and most of the newer Netflix stuff is 4k. You can really see Frank Underwood's pores in 4k.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

No parent that does not get into the bestbuy trap of "Gimme an Xbox" and getting hustled into the most expensive one replete with monster cables through ignorance is going to actually buy a scorpio. Even those people will only be the really impatient harried executive types shopping at Best Buy lower Manhattan and Best Buy Aspen Colorado and Best Buy South Beach Miami Presented By Absolut Vodka.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

4K up scaling is just using a 2x2 pixel grid as one, no?

If a 4K TV used Nearest Neighbor to upscale, yes.

But most TV manufacturers use a scaler chip that'll upscale 1080p via something like bilinear filtering, which will soften it a bit.

Granted though, with more picture information to work with, it won't look as bad as going from 480i or 240p to 1080p, but it's still going to soften the image a lot compared to how a native 1080 panel would look.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That sucks. I'd rather die than miss out on the crisp aliasing of pixel-perfect image resolution. I dont even use AA in games. Jaggies are our friends.

I look forward to hearing about Scorpio getting the 50/60 hz issue wrong again because its rushed out and they dont bother to test their scaler out on anything beyond Seattle-based exec living rooms, same as last time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Carecat posted:

The advantage consoles have has been eroded each generation. Slow as poo poo loading due to cheap rear end hard drives, often sub 1080p, unstable framerates in anything that isn't first party, required subscription for multiplayer, P2P networking instead of dedicated servers, multi gigabyte day one patches and expensive games.

lol ook at this fail post... let me adress each one of your bad opinions with good facts:

slow loading: not on ps4 thebest console. its fast.

sub 1080p: not on ps4 the best console, it hits 1080p on all games not made by subtier devs such as dice

unstable framerates: not on ps4 because its good

required sub for mp: also includes 72 free games a year makingi it cheaper than any steam sale ever

p2p networking: dedicated servers are for neckbeards no one cares

multi gb patches: only on xbox the console famous for not having delta patching, doesnt exist on ps4 which will also patch while off unlike Fail pc

expensive games: deep sales, plus able to buy from other regions freely, plus used games and trade ins make console gaming significantly cheaper than throwing money at GPUs and early access anime games on steam

dont post here again, u will not survive the next

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

No parent that does not get into the bestbuy trap of "Gimme an Xbox" and getting hustled into the most expensive one replete with monster cables through ignorance is going to actually buy a scorpio. Even those people will only be the really impatient harried executive types shopping at Best Buy lower Manhattan and Best Buy Aspen Colorado and Best Buy South Beach Miami Presented By Absolut Vodka.

the best buy nearest lowest manhattan is union square i think and you are not likely to see any executive types in there. post: skewered

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Super No Vacancy posted:

the best buy nearest lowest manhattan is union square i think and you are not likely to see any executive types in there. post: skewered

I know that store takes bribes to hold product. But you are right, its mostly interns and personal assistants doing the actual shopping at their masters' behests.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Instant Sunrise posted:

If a 4K TV used Nearest Neighbor to upscale, yes.

But most TV manufacturers use a scaler chip that'll upscale 1080p via something like bilinear filtering, which will soften it a bit.

Granted though, with more picture information to work with, it won't look as bad as going from 480i or 240p to 1080p, but it's still going to soften the image a lot compared to how a native 1080 panel would look.

According to my product brochure here my Sharp Aquos UltraHDTV uses Sharp's proprietary Revelation Scaler to upscale 1080p to 4k, so obviously it is superior somehow.

(tbh at couch distances I can't tell a difference between my 4k set's 1080p and my old 39" 1080p set that got moved to my office)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stux posted:

lol ook at this fail post... let me adress each one of your bad opinions with good facts:

slow loading: not on ps4 thebest console. its fast.

sub 1080p: not on ps4 the best console, it hits 1080p on all games not made by subtier devs such as dice

unstable framerates: not on ps4 because its good

required sub for mp: also includes 72 free games a year makingi it cheaper than any steam sale ever

p2p networking: dedicated servers are for neckbeards no one cares

multi gb patches: only on xbox the console famous for not having delta patching, doesnt exist on ps4 which will also patch while off unlike Fail pc

expensive games: deep sales, plus able to buy from other regions freely, plus used games and trade ins make console gaming significantly cheaper than throwing money at GPUs and early access anime games on steam

dont post here again, u will not survive the next
Well, you got some of that right, but I can knock out pretty much all your points about performance with Fallout 4 alone. I definitely have multi GB patches all the time on PS4, that's why I get salty when it decides to run them automatically (with the setting shut off) and eat up half my bandwidth cap. Steam can patch games on schedule when I'm not using it, which is as good as the fake "off" my PS4 has. And don't even get started on the free games poo poo because you know there are a hundred times more dumb free games on PC as well as good poo poo crammed into low cost bundles frequently.

Don't get me wrong I love my PC and my PS4 but you don't have to put blinders on and pretend there aren't disadvantages, even if your name is Stux

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CrashCat posted:

Well, you got some of that right, but I can knock out pretty much all your points about performance with Fallout 4 alone. I definitely have multi GB patches all the time on PS4, that's why I get salty when it decides to run them automatically (with the setting shut off) and eat up half my bandwidth cap. Steam can patch games on schedule when I'm not using it, which is as good as the fake "off" my PS4 has. And don't even get started on the free games poo poo because you know there are a hundred times more dumb free games on PC as well as good poo poo crammed into low cost bundles frequently.

Don't get me wrong I love my PC and my PS4 but you don't have to put blinders on and pretend there aren't disadvantages, even if your name is Stux

The problem with PC games is that you need to use a PC to play them.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i guarantee you, theres no problem

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
PCs are great. Tons of TERAFLOPS, the perfectest pixels, a bunch of LED lights on the case.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wheany posted:

The problem with PC games is that you need to use a PC to play them.
On the other hand, out of the ones for which that is actually true, few are worth it, and more and more often they're ported over later if they're popular anyway, even without these hijinks Microsoft are proposing

panda clue
May 23, 2014
you need a lovely PC in a microsoft branded box to play xbox games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CrashCat posted:

beth is a subtier dev. if a game comes out looking like last gen and running like poo poo its not the consoles fault.

multi GB patches dont exist and you are lyibg.

free games on pc are bad tier freeware. free games on ps+ are fantastic indies and AAAs and works out cheaper than bundles.

you're wrong and if u quote me again i will make you look like a snivilling child infront of your peers

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're not free if you're paying for them Stux.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ethanol posted:

man i should would be shocked and outraged if the ps4neo thread were made by a guy that outright refuses to own sony devices and devotes enormous amounts of time to RSS feeding his troll friends info on said corporation

:siren:Fame Lifeles! Open the thread!:siren:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oohhboy posted:

we're paying for online multiplayer now. post xbocalyptic hellscape earth

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Stux posted:

Good thing too or you'd be dead of old age before it downloaded an update

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oohhboy posted:

im paying for mp, the games are free

Carecat posted:

Good thing too or you'd be dead of old age before it downloaded an update

maybe if u have poo poo internet or are an idiot that doesnt know how to configure basic router settings i guess

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
If PS+ games are free why aren't they free for life and only as long as you have a sub? :iiam:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
i complained a lot about the indie games on PS+ but then I started paying attention to humble bundle and realized sony is just kinda bad at picking out indie games most of the time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stux doesn't know what free is because he lives in a monarchy

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Stux reaped again!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

i complained a lot about the indie games on PS+ but then I started paying attention to humble bundle and realized sony is just kinda bad at picking out indie games most of the time.

actually lots of them on plus own and are great and ive enjoyed most of the games i have recieved through plus. but then im just a humble person who thinks games are good and also fun and enjoyable and not a baby

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mercury Crusader posted:

PCs are great. Tons of TERAFLOPS, the perfectest pixels, a bunch of LED lights on the case.
Sickkkkkkk led lights and anime stickers

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
nsfw those hot rigs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the owners of those rigs have to be incredibly ugly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the owners of those rigs have to be incredibly ugly

theyre pc gamers u dont need to point it out

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nothing built below the surface of a glass desk or spread out across a sheet of plywood with dishwasher's worth of fluid piping?

Not terribly impressed. I hope the Scopio is some made to measure poo poo like their engraved colored controller initiative. Like ms crawls up their own rear end again and tries to do lights out manufacturing where the only machine operators use hololens telepresence from Malaysia. Resulting in the shoddy assembly of 33 optional chassis combination all of which cry out "4K VCR" louder than the whimpers of the workers forced to use HoloLens for 8 hours a day.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nothing built below the surface of a glass desk or spread out across a sheet of plywood with dishwasher's worth of fluid piping?

Not terribly impressed. I hope the Scopio is some made to measure poo poo like their engraved colored controller initiative. Like ms crawls up their own rear end again and tries to do lights out manufacturing where the only machine operators use hololens telepresence from Malaysia. Resulting in the shoddy assembly of 33 optional chassis combination all of which cry out "4K VCR" louder than the whimpers of the workers forced to use HoloLens for 8 hours a day.

bespoke consoles for the discriminating idiot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cant parse this post at all

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The three big questions about the Scorpio: how big is the power brick, how many layers of fans, and are Microsoft dumb enough to launch another "Day 1 edition?"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stux posted:

beth is a subtier dev. if a game comes out looking like last gen and running like poo poo its not the consoles fault.
Thanks for acknowledging that some games actually do run like crap on the PS4

That said I'm used to running behind on PC specs so it doesn't especially bother me

Stux posted:

working as intended

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

CrashCat posted:

That said I'm used to running behind on PC specs so it doesn't especially bother me

Bloodborne and Until Dawn run like utter trash for gently caress's sake, not exactly multi platform poo poo tier developer titles.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stux posted:

I'm surprised you can parse, you know, things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CrashCat posted:

working as intended

fo4 runs like poo poo on everything becausue its a game made by notable trash dev bethesda

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'm surprised you can parse, you know, things.

yuo haev to tyep liek tihs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Being a multi console owner I can now say the PS4 is capable of some absolutely stunningly low framerates

• Locked thread