Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shiroc posted:

I keep feeling like I played Skyward Sword very recently but it was on the WiiU. Which means it was at least like 5-6 years ago.

I bought the Switch version when it released but it’s been sitting. I should play it soon so I can give Breath of the Wild a second chance.

What does playing SS have to do with playing Breath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Just wanting to do them in release order and see how I feel about Breath before the sequel. I wasn’t as into Breath as other people when it originally came out and I played it on WiiU. I’m curious if replaying it on Switch with a better understanding of what its goals are will make it work better for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shiroc posted:

Just wanting to do them in release order and see how I feel about Breath before the sequel. I wasn’t as into Breath as other people when it originally came out and I played it on WiiU. I’m curious if replaying it on Switch with a better understanding of what its goals are will make it work better for me.

That really helped me, I didn't even finish it on WiiU, and it took a couple tries for me to really get into it later. Also it helped that the Switch didn't have multi-second pauses getting back into the game after some of the menus. (or maybe that was just my WiiU)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Weirdly, playing 20 hours of Elden Ring helped me get into BOTW more so than any other Zelda. I had bounced off really hard before.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I had the opposite play order but it was also really informative. Loved BotW a lot initially, and was able to tolerate SS on Switch because I could see how it had laid the foundation.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I bought Skyward Sword but it's sitting around, I'm looking forward to it as a glorious autumn game :shobon:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got the special edition Joycons and it is my hope that they didn’t develop drift from playing No More Heroes before I ever get to use them with Skyward Sword.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I’m at the last Silent Realm stage of Skyward Sword, and just find this to be tediously unfun.

Yeah I was doing a first-time playthru of it a couple months back and when I got to the second one I decided that was enough.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

That really helped me, I didn't even finish it on WiiU, and it took a couple tries for me to really get into it later. Also it helped that the Switch didn't have multi-second pauses getting back into the game after some of the menus. (or maybe that was just my WiiU)

It's specifically the home button; whenever you press it and then return to the game there's a very long loading pause.

It was probably some kind of a RAM management issue where BOTW killed most Wii U background processes to get some extra RAM for itself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zat posted:

It's specifically the home button; whenever you press it and then return to the game there's a very long loading pause.

It was probably some kind of a RAM management issue where BOTW killed most Wii U background processes to get some extra RAM for itself.

Oh yeah, that was it. I knew it couldn't have been every time I paused, but I couldn't remember exactly when it was. I know it happened a lot when I was doing screenshots and miiverse stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Finally got past that bullshit part/silent realm poo poo in Skyward Sword. Wanna know how? By having my 20 year old son do it for me.

It was a great moment of fatherly pride as I yelled at him “don’t gently caress this up! This is why your mom and I had you! This is what you were born for! To get me past this bullshit in Zelda!”

And my rallying cries worked. Now I can begin to put this game behind me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosapiant posted:

What does playing SS have to do with playing Breath?

Well it is pretty much a function-testing beta for BotW :pseudo:.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Forced rhythm sections in games are the worst.

I had to get my friend (professional musician) to do one of the panflute sections in Spirit Tracks for me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess there should probably be a way to bypass anything in a game that could represent an accessibility issue

I don't even remember that in Spirit Tracks. I didn't have to ask a musician to do it for me though, I know that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot about the panflute stuff. That experiment did not work at all for me, trying to use the stylus to slide the flute back and forth to hit the right pipe with some tight timing, just clunky as hell. And I don't remember for sure, but I assume you were also blowing into the mic to play the flute, because it was a DS game.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I feel like the whole Wii/DS era was Nintendo coming up with seemingly awesome and innovative ways to interact with games, and then using them in the most tedious, unnecessary ways possible

Wasn’t there one Mario Party minigame where you had to like, hold the Wiimote horizontally and tilt it back and forth to *checks notes* walk?

They seemed to have gotten it down by the time Skyward Sword came out though, if the motion controls in the remaster are reflective of the original

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like the “idea” of motion controls, but find when I’m playing a Zelda game that I want the game itself to be engaging with fun puzzles, and not engaging with the interface itself. Skyward Sword is simultaneously a great Zelda game and I love the artwork and dungeons and puzzles, but find the gameplay itself to be tedious and unfun. And the controls aren’t difficult. They just annoy me.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'll always have a soft spot for that stupid panflute, because while experimentally blowing into the DS microphone trying to make it register right, I somehow stumbled into learning how to whistle

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really liked the basic sword motion controls in Twilight Princess solely because of how every boss fight ended up with Link on top of the boss to hit their weak point. The music hitting a peak while I went to town with actual swings got me every time. I missed it in the WiiU version.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s the thread’s opinion on Links Awakening for Switch? I’m almost done with the game and find it to be a fantastic game. The world is just the right size to be super dense and I don’t find the puzzles (so far) incredibly obtuse. That said, the Eagle Tower can go gently caress itself.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I never played the original versions but I ended up playing the entire Switch one in a single day, mostly delighted the whole time. The blur effect was annoying at first but I got over it.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My only issue with Link's Awakening on Switch is mostly that it's...well, Link's Awakening, but again. It's a polished-up version of the original game, all of the good stuff and none of the bad, and that's great! But if you're someone who's already played the original, I don't think you'll get anything new out of the experience by playing the Switch version. Like, after finishing it, I kinda felt like, "Well, I could have just replayed the original on my 3DS and had about the same amount of fun."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

DanielCross posted:

My only issue with Link's Awakening on Switch is mostly that it's...well, Link's Awakening, but again. It's a polished-up version of the original game, all of the good stuff and none of the bad, and that's great! But if you're someone who's already played the original, I don't think you'll get anything new out of the experience by playing the Switch version. Like, after finishing it, I kinda felt like, "Well, I could have just replayed the original on my 3DS and had about the same amount of fun."

That’s my big problem with a lot of remakes. New models and music don’t change the fact that the foundation is outdated. Especially here as we’re talking about a Gameboy game from 1993, but now at more than double the original price.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DanielCross posted:

I'd beaten the original game back in like 93-94 when I was a young teen, so I didn't remember poo poo about it. I'm enjoying going through it again.

Also, on a side note, I've decided to give up on Skyward Sword and just watch some videos on Youtube to see the rest of what I missed. I'm super interested in the story and characters, I just don't find the gameplay very fun. And I must say....Groose is an awesome character and we need more games with Groose.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Geostomp posted:

That’s my big problem with a lot of remakes. New models and music don’t change the fact that the foundation is outdated. Especially here as we’re talking about a Gameboy game from 1993, but now at more than double the original price.

Depending on how much the original cost, they might not be too far off from each other in terms of actual cost. When you account for inflation, older games were often hilariously expensive compared to games today. An example is Super Mario RPG retailed for about $70 when it came out, but once inflation is taken into account, in today's terms that would be about $100+.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't call LA dated in any incarnation behind the "hey you don't have the power bracelet" messages. Frankly on the whole I'd say past the NES every entry holds up by modern standards beyond inherent qualities of their home hardware like button layouts and framerate on the n64 games.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
LA feels very small and dense in a way that modern games aren’t unless they are specifically trying to capture the era.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Motto posted:

I wouldn't call LA dated in any incarnation behind the "hey you don't have the power bracelet" messages. Frankly on the whole I'd say past the NES every entry holds up by modern standards beyond inherent qualities of their home hardware like button layouts and framerate on the n64 games.

I actually agree with this. I think the Zelda games all hold up pretty well. I do find it odd that no remake similar to Link's Awakening has ever been made for the original NES Zelda.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Motto posted:

The constant menu-ing to swap items around in the GB-era games annoys the poo poo out of me. Too much pausing and swapping items around. Even Ocarina of Time has an annoying level of menu swapping. Fortunately the 3DS remake exists that puts a lot of that on a dedicated button.

So yeah for that reason I like remakes. UI improvements go a long way. I know I'm hardly the first person to express this sentiment but I would love to have the Oracle games done in the LA remake style.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Finished Link’s Awakening tonight. That actually finally clears my backlog of Zelda games so I can finally take on Breath of the Wild. I’d started playing on CEMU, but my son got me a Switch earlier this year for my bday, and the game looks amazing on my TV. So now I can finally play this drat game the way it was intended. I’m pumped!

Edit: Majora's Mask question. I beat Majora's Mask for the first time in like 2014 on the Wii Virtual Console. I now have it on 3DS. Is it worth playing on the 3DS? I keep hearing that they "messed it up," but i'm not sure what that means.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 8, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chaosapiant posted:

Finished Link’s Awakening tonight. That actually finally clears my backlog of Zelda games so I can finally take on Breath of the Wild. I’d started playing on CEMU, but my son got me a Switch earlier this year for my bday, and the game looks amazing on my TV. So now I can finally play this drat game the way it was intended. I’m pumped!

Edit: Majora's Mask question. I beat Majora's Mask for the first time in like 2014 on the Wii Virtual Console. I now have it on 3DS. Is it worth playing on the 3DS? I keep hearing that they "messed it up," but i'm not sure what that means.

Majora's Mask 3D changes some major things, for a lot of good and bad, all of the bosses got overhauls, some minor quests got changed, there' a lot of new QoL poo poo that makes the better version in most regards. If you have a modded 3DS you can run a mod called Project Restoration that makes the 3DS version of the game the definitive version. Overall it's worth playing again to see the redone visuals and if you love the original.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The changes made to Majora's Mask 3D are mainly noticeable to people who extensively played the original. I think they're controversial more for the principle of the thing than because of any annoyance caused by what's different. People wonder "Why did they make this arbitrarily worse?" but not every change was even for the worse, and the worst of them is still not, like, actually bad or anything. And the 3DS version has better graphics and a more complete quest tracker, so I'd say it's worth playing on 3DS.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 8, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok then, that all makes sense. I’m not interested in hacking my 3DS, but I could probably run the patch in Citra. But from what I’m reading, it doesn’t seem like a terrible port.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The only aspect of Link's Awakening Switch I didn't like was Dampe's dungeon garbage, building your own Zelda dungeon sounds like a cool concept but this isn't Mario Maker, it's extremely basic and very tedious.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

The only aspect of Link's Awakening Switch I didn't like was Dampe's dungeon garbage, building your own Zelda dungeon sounds like a cool concept but this isn't Mario Maker, it's extremely basic and very tedious.

True, and the worst part is it replaced the photographer mouse from LA DX.

Removing the photographer was such a shame. Imagine if they had someone draw some beautiful new art for the pictures, and it could've had plenty of new photo opportunities too. It could've been great.

Zat fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 8, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

it pretends to be a "dungeon designer" but it's actually more of a puzzle to design a level that meets the requirements set and to make it as easy as possible to complete for yourself at the same time. i kinda liked it for that. after you're done with the designed challenges the free designing mode is definitely completely pointless though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chaosapiant posted:

Ok then, that all makes sense. I’m not interested in hacking my 3DS, but I could probably run the patch in Citra. But from what I’m reading, it doesn’t seem like a terrible port.

Getting the patch on Citra is easy and there's even HUD mods and stuff you could install as well for HD textures and whatnot.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Why not just play it on Switch? Or am I missing something

e: Majora's mask that is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The time travel on the 3DS version is so much more user friendly than the original that I have no interest in playing the virtual console version any more regardless of the goodness or badness of other changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Barreft posted:

Why not just play it on Switch? Or am I missing something

e: Majora's mask that is

Because I’d already played/beaten it on Wii Virtual Console. And my Wii-U is still hooked up with my VC games ready to go. So I figured if I play it again, it’d be the 3DS version.