Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Geostomp posted:

Finding new and inventive ways to torment monsters is one the greatest pleasures in this game.

Carrying a cucco into combat is pretty satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pianist On Strike posted:

I like picking those guys up and watching their tiny rock legs scramble in panic.

I liked it too til it exploded and killed me

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

This guy right here. gently caress this guy.

LOOK AT THAT GIANT rear end CLUB. Thing is god drat ridiculous.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh is that the dude in the Northwest? I found him today and that motherfucker hits hard

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ugh is that the dude in the Northwest? I found him today and that motherfucker hits hard

It looks like it in that pic, but I ran into him in the southwest, just west of Faron.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looks like the gerudo highlands, just by the sword.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Spent almost two hours just running around, finding abandoned towns and stuff around central hyrule and the plateau. Found a couple of treasure hunters and acted like a loving Nat Geo photographer.

Somehow as satisfying as killing a Lynel yesterday.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My 4-year-old wanted to watch me play a while today, so I obliged her.

I found two more Hinoxes I hadn't come across yet. 205+ hours in, and I'd never have even seen them without investigating my gaps with the Hero's Path. Hyrule is just crawling with these things, jeez.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It's kind of sad that you only get to play this game for the first time once. Going through on Master Mode, I already knew where almost all the interesting stuff was, where to farm for resources, where and how to find all the shrines, how to cheese the bosses, and so on.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
About 2 weeks back as I was winding down the game, and finishing up my final 8-10 shrines I was using a helper map to try to figure out which ones I hadn't yet encountered. (I don't have the DLC yet)

Come to find out there were two god drat Lynels I had never even encountered before. These dudes are so far off the beaten path even though I swear it felt like I had been everywhere before. Then again, I actively refused to take any of the marked main roads anywhere, so that was perhaps my problem.

For the record the two were (1) just west of Lake Kilsie in SW Hebra and (2) Just SW of Mekar Island in some wide open plains I had always ignored.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

That's just a fan theory. The game only mentions that this kingdom was involved in a bloody war a long time ago (it's not clear with whom). When Link shows up, all the inhabitants have become various undead creatures unable to move on. It's never really made clear what happened.
"Stone Tower of Babel" is the king of Zelda lore theories. I find timeline discussions to be idiotic but the idea that Termina is some doomed land forsaken by the Goddesses whose chosen hero falls into and must save to survive is nothing short of brilliant.

Spergatory posted:

Things I didn't know Iron Sledgehammers could do:
- Break bombable walls and piles of rocks.
- Kill Pebblits in one hit.
loving what?!

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 22, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

This guy right here. gently caress this guy.

LOOK AT THAT GIANT rear end CLUB. Thing is god drat ridiculous.

Lynels with clubs are assholes, lynels with clubs in the loving snow are double assholes, at least until you get snow boots. Ugh.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
WTF? It's raining chests now.

Top of Mt. Drena, NW of the Korok forest. Might be a glitch.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Zopotantor posted:

WTF? It's raining chests now.

Top of Mt. Drena, NW of the Korok forest. Might be a glitch.

Probably a master mode chest that got spawned in normal mode.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

havenwaters posted:

Probably a master mode chest that got spawned in normal mode.

Nah, it's deliberately in the game, and will keep doing that until you open it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Was wandering around in a previously unexplored part of the map and encountered a guardian. I shield-reflected his beam and that motherfucker dodged it. Never seen one of them sidestep that before.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finished the trials. Holy gently caress the game needs more fights like that last floor because that was so loving fun and crazy.

Beginner trial in master mode is BY FAR the hardest of the three.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Only 2 more koroks to go!

....till I max out all my gear slots :sigh:
Then it's on to the 20 total remaining hinox and talus fights and finishing maxing out the amiibo equipment, luckily my falling star rate seems to have greatly increased since the dlc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Was wandering around in a previously unexplored part of the map and encountered a guardian. I shield-reflected his beam and that motherfucker dodged it. Never seen one of them sidestep that before.

You know when I fought Ganon, I parried a couple of his laser shots even though I never quite got the timing down for Guardians - after I broke about 3-4 shields with imperfect parries on the latter I stopped and reloaded. Is the Ganon fight a little more forgiving, or does it maybe depend on the shield you use? I had the Hylian shield out for Ganon but I was using some other ones when practicing with a Guardian.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You know when I fought Ganon, I parried a couple of his laser shots even though I never quite got the timing down for Guardians - after I broke about 3-4 shields with imperfect parries on the latter I stopped and reloaded. Is the Ganon fight a little more forgiving, or does it maybe depend on the shield you use? I had the Hylian shield out for Ganon but I was using some other ones when practicing with a Guardian.

The shield you use definitely makes no difference, except with the Ancient Shield, which reflects beam weapons automatically.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I think Ganon's a bit more forgiving (with that, at least) since it's really easy to get to that point in the game barely having parried anything-- in fact, even without Urbosa/Daruk, it's possible to kill Ganon with just a couple of lucky dodge flurries and never parrying a single thing in the game. It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure I killed Ganon the first time without knowing that you could parry guardian shots, then came into this thread and was all :aaaaa: about killing guardians with pot lids.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't think they dodge it so much as "if you parry while either of you are moving then there's a pretty good chance it'll not-crit or miss entirely". Since the walkers have a set distance from you that they try to maintain it doesn't tend to happen a lot, but if you're parrying them at a distance while they're still trying to close with you then it's a lot more likely.

The flying assholes, on the other hand, it happens all the goddamn time. The flying guardians are literally the worst bullshit enemies in the game, imo, just because of how they interact with the physics engine-- frequently even just the recoil from them firing at you is enough to swing their eye out of the way of your parry, and the combination of "swinging around in the wind", "flying away from you a lot of the time", and "sometimes the AI just decides to retract the turret for no reason" makes it a massive pain to crit them with arrows properly.

I take sadistic joy out of bringing a golden/phrenic bow and bunch of ancient arrows to the castle every reset just to poke the flying bastards out of the sky, is what I'm saying. :black101:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you can get above the flying ones, the sheikah symbol on their "belly" is also a Crit point

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

If you can get above the flying ones, the sheikah symbol on their "belly" is also a Crit point

200 hours played and I'm still finding out poo poo I didn't know. :allears:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

200 hours played and I'm still finding out poo poo I didn't know. :allears:

Attack the weak spot for massive damage!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Or you can blow up their propellers and let em flop pathetically on the ground. Not exactly fast, but it's fun.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Regy Rusty posted:

Or you can blow up their propellers and let em flop pathetically on the ground. Not exactly fast, but it's fun.

Fun, but a massive pain in the rear end. Before now I was doing weird gymnastics to get below them and looking at me so I could poke them in the eye; dropping ancient arrows directly onto their rear end from above is way easier.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game has grabbed me in a way a game never really has, just got a switch recently.

I wandered into the zora city first. Like, before I met impa. It was really hard. At some point I realized I was in there too early and went to go meet impa and explore the south a bit and I got so distracted I totally forgot to even go back.

I was at 4 hearts and I wandered into a Major Trial of Combat. I broke every weapon I had, used my electric arrows, started doing normal arrows and breaking my stronger bows. I killed it with bombs because that was the last thing I had left. I got a 60 damage weapon!

I managed to get to Eventide by eating a bunch of stamina items and flying across. I died twice and lost like an hour of progress combined. I think I'll do eventide later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's got me in a way a game hasn't since half life. I sunk a couple hundred hours into it on Wii U, then bought a switch and started over.

BOTW is a hell of a drug.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't think they dodge it so much as "if you parry while either of you are moving then there's a pretty good chance it'll not-crit or miss entirely". Since the walkers have a set distance from you that they try to maintain it doesn't tend to happen a lot, but if you're parrying them at a distance while they're still trying to close with you then it's a lot more likely.

Both of us were standing perfectly still tho. It mighta been a one-off thing but that rear end in a top hat definitely sidestepped the beam.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
My noble steed Ramrod has perished after 40 hours after a band of skelemoblins ambushed us and smashed him to bits with their clubs, he took one out on his way down though.

I could Google this and find the exact answer instantly but I'd like to make it a journey if I could. Can someone give me a yes/no if my horse can be brought back to life and a vague direction where I should be headed to do so?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yes, and in the middle south.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes, and in the middle south.

Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Guardians are perhaps the most interesting mechanic to me. They force you to sharpen your senses in the game and use items. They teach you armor switching with the Champions Tunic being useful for picking apart the live Guardians in a field of corpses.

Guardians teach you parrying. They teach you to look through your rune arsenal for other tactics to defeat them. They help you understand stealth and how to manage your noise levels, so that the concept of aggro'ing an enemy from a distance can be introduced to the player.

But even bigger than just basic movement & attack mechanics, they're a piece of narrative too. You wander throughout the entire land and you begin to wonder WTF happened long ago when a Guardian shows up in the far reaches of Hebra, or on a desolate plateau in the Wastelands.

Akkala is really the most dramatic illustration of an enemy being a storytelling device just by existing. You encounter all manner of live & dead Guardians on your way up to the top of the tower. And then you look at that field that sits between the Akkala Tower and Tarrey Town. What feels like a hundred guardian corpses litter the area. NPC's in the region will tell you a huge battle happened but the game actually has the gall to show you how many Guardians got destroyed. You can ponder the human cost that went into that as well!

And to put a bow on that box of somber moods, the ruins of the Akkala parade grounds now sit so undisturbed that a Hinox sees fit to make it his napping spot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I killed two guardians yesterday and they both dropped giant ancient cores!!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Van Naboris's feet regenerate HP in Master Mode, are you loving kidding me

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Fortis posted:

Van Naboris's feet regenerate HP in Master Mode, are you loving kidding me

Revali's bow one-shots them, if you have it

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Zoran posted:

Revali's bow one-shots them, if you have it

I do indeed, thank goodness for the Travel Medallion, since it was at my house on display. That did the trick, thanks!

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

ProjektorBoy posted:

Guardians are perhaps the most interesting mechanic to me. They force you to sharpen your senses in the game and use items. They teach you armor switching with the Champions Tunic being useful for picking apart the live Guardians in a field of corpses.

I use stasis, only the living ones light up yellow

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The guardian graveyard across from Tarrey Town used to scare me until I used stasis and saw that only two of the guardians were still alive. The fact that it was related to a side quest was a nice bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

BOTW is a hell of a drug.

A week ago I booted it up just to do an amiibo scan, and when the final Twilight armor I was missing dropped, I spent an hour running around just so I could play while looking like Classic Link.