Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

im playing on the nes classic. i beat horsehead and that first palace with ease and speed. i remember it being a nightmare back in the day and i kept getting lost and no idea on spells or anything. now i've levelled up pretty well and understand how that works. might actually beat this thing this time.

The tip to really powerlevel quickly is that everytime you kill a boss, DO NOT finish the level. Go back a few screens and farm enemies to level up at least once. Then finish the level (and get a free level up from placing the crystal).

Placing the crystal sets your EXP to 0, so pretty much any EXP you get from killing the boss is for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

pooch516 posted:

The tip to really powerlevel quickly is that everytime you kill a boss, DO NOT finish the level. Go back a few screens and farm enemies to level up at least once. Then finish the level (and get a free level up from placing the crystal).

Placing the crystal sets your EXP to 0, so pretty much any EXP you get from killing the boss is for nothing.

What you should do is save all the crystals for the very end so you can level up quickly instead of needing high amounts of EXP.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nanigans posted:

Anyone collect Zelda stuff? I'd love to see other collections.

My collection isn't much in the way of figures, but:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wow, that sword and those mask replicas are nuts! Were the masks custom made?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

canyoneer posted:

Is the bike in Breath of the Wild a meatercycle or a meatcycle?

https://youtu.be/UZEFNHod_DU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

someone made the inference that link wrote his name on his gear in links awakening because of what happened on crescent island and i thought that was funny

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nanigans posted:

Wow, that sword and those mask replicas are nuts! Were the masks custom made?

So the Master Sword I got off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zelda-Master-Twilight-Princess-Fantasy/dp/B00C9Q8HTE/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=master+sword&qid=1597274036&sr=8-4

It's cheap but looks good at a distance. The masks have been from various Etsy sellers, the one above the Master Sword (that also lights up) and the one sitting on the shelf under the books are from sellers who no longer do business, but the set of 4 masks on the wall are from this seller:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/507582156/legend-of-zelda-inspired-mask-set?ref=yr_purchases

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
finally. proof.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i always knew in my heart that the triforce was real

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

romanowski posted:

i always knew in my heart that the triforce was real

Triforce is real 2401

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

sigher posted:

So the Master Sword I got off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zelda-Master-Twilight-Princess-Fantasy/dp/B00C9Q8HTE/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=master+sword&qid=1597274036&sr=8-4

It's cheap but looks good at a distance. The masks have been from various Etsy sellers, the one above the Master Sword (that also lights up) and the one sitting on the shelf under the books are from sellers who no longer do business, but the set of 4 masks on the wall are from this seller:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/507582156/legend-of-zelda-inspired-mask-set?ref=yr_purchases

Nice. I might consider getting those masks at some point for when my work at home office can become an official toy room. :v:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I'm trying out the second quest in Zelda 1. Did anyone ever beat this legitimately? I spent awhile wandering around the second dungeon trying to find the item, and apparently you have to walk through walls?

Back when I was a kid and I borrowed the game from my friend, I put my name as "ZELDA" and accidentally started 2nd quest, and was extremely confused.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

I'm trying out the second quest in Zelda 1. Did anyone ever beat this legitimately? I spent awhile wandering around the second dungeon trying to find the item, and apparently you have to walk through walls?

Back when I was a kid and I borrowed the game from my friend, I put my name as "ZELDA" and accidentally started 2nd quest, and was extremely confused.

I keep meaning to beat this. I got to the last dungeon last year, but accidentally selected the wrong save state and lost a lot of progress.

I get drawn back to it every once in a while, but it's a downright mean game at times. Like you said, you can walk through walls sometimes, but the game never really tells you that. You have to do it in other dungeons too. It may help to draw out the dungeons on graph paper, since some of the later ones have a confusing amount of secret passageways. Perhaps the most difficult thing about the second quest is finding some of the dungeon entrances. If you can't find one after a while (and don't feel like bombing every wall and burning every bush in Hyrule), I would recommend just looking it up. Some dungeon entrances offer no clear way of knowing where they are, short of trial and error.

There's an especially mean trick that one or two of the later dungeons use, but I don't want to spoil it. And yes, I feel for anyone who entered "Zelda" as their name without realizing what would happen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MokBa posted:

What you should do is save all the crystals for the very end so you can level up quickly instead of needing high amounts of EXP.

Or alternatively level up to max, which converts every crystal to a 1-up for the final dungeon run

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

Or alternatively level up to max, which converts every crystal to a 1-up for the final dungeon run

Jesus the amount of grinding you'd have to do to max level without crystals :gonk:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so, uhh, official hd groose incoming?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Zel...&language=en_GB

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1295007042134917120

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 16, 2020

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I enjoyed Skyward Sword my first time through, but there's a lot they'd need to adjust and fix to make me want to play it again.

Like in lieu of a Master Mode... a Groose Mode.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i didnt even get through it, i think i got to like, the 3rd dungeon? then just didnt go back because the switch/botw came out. was planning on playing through again during this series playthrough im doing but uhh i may wait!

if its true, i guess its coming this year, right? i remember hearing the rumoured plan was to release a zelda game every year since botw? 2017 - botw 2018 - hyrule warriors 2019 links awakening (cadence being the outlier) 2020: skyward sword hd 2021 botw2 2022 - eight sword adventures 2023 - solo zelda title with no link (zelda still not playable)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vikar Jerome posted:

solo zelda title with no link (zelda still not playable)

Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland Redux?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are a small handful of very easy QoL fixes that would make SS a really good game for Switch

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

I get drawn back to it every once in a while, but it's a downright mean game at times. Like you said, you can walk through walls sometimes, but the game never really tells you that. You have to do it in other dungeons too. It may help to draw out the dungeons on graph paper, since some of the later ones have a confusing amount of secret passageways. Perhaps the most difficult thing about the second quest is finding some of the dungeon entrances. If you can't find one after a while (and don't feel like bombing every wall and burning every bush in Hyrule), I would recommend just looking it up. Some dungeon entrances offer no clear way of knowing where they are, short of trial and error.

Yeah, I think I will do that. I'm probably going to just look up the dungeon entrances and try to beat the rest without help. Gives a reasonable challenge without resorting to a step-by-step walkthrough, and the dungeons are self-contained (err, I hope?).

I think once you know all the rules, that there exist hidden walls, it's more palatable. Game just needs a little more instruction. Same with the original quest where the hints are insufficient (even without translation issues). It's just hard to get into without completely cheating and ruining a lot of the discovery and fun.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Bloop posted:

There are a small handful of very easy QoL fixes that would make SS a really good game for Switch

Would like to see this. I got bogged down by that game and never progressed far.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Escape Goat posted:

Would like to see this. I got bogged down by that game and never progressed far.

If they did half the updating as they did with Xenoblade it'll be fantastic

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Escape Goat posted:

Wow me too.

Just got super frustrated with a non essential harp(?) playing challenge and gave up.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Namnesor posted:

I enjoyed Skyward Sword my first time through, but there's a lot they'd need to adjust and fix to make me want to play it again.

Like in lieu of a Master Mode... a Groose Mode.

Ehhh, yeah I'm in the same boat. The game has some very deep flaws that go way beyond some simple QoL fixes. Those fixes would certainly help but the game has bigger problems.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
imagining someone for whom botw was their first zelda trying to enjoy skyward sword lmao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I'm in the possible minority that liked the motion control swordplay, I'm curious how it would transfer over to Switch. Obviously the Switch controllers do gyro stuff but I don't know if their capabilities would make an easy port or if they've developed in a different direction than however the Wiimotes worked.
Also I kinda hate the joycons, and I'd be willing to pay money for a different split controller that was at least larger, if not completely redesigned with a less awkward layout.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the joycons work just like a wii motion plus, just better. port will be fine. the wii version never even needed the sensor bar.

question is, will they have non-motion controls for switch lite users...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm in the possible minority that liked the motion control swordplay, I'm curious how it would transfer over to Switch. Obviously the Switch controllers do gyro stuff but I don't know if their capabilities would make an easy port or if they've developed in a different direction than however the Wiimotes worked.
Also I kinda hate the joycons, and I'd be willing to pay money for a different split controller that was at least larger, if not completely redesigned with a less awkward layout.

I’ve never played SS but after the gyro puzzles in botw I would be hard pressed to find a mechanism I would want to use less.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

I’ve never played SS but after the gyro puzzles in botw I would be hard pressed to find a mechanism I would want to use less.

They're nothing similar, I hated the gyro puzzles as well, but the swordplay was more of an active natural motion rather than all that fiddly maneuvering stuff. I didn't love it enough that I'd be super upset if a remake didn't have it, but it seemed baked into the enemy and boss designs enough that I'd be a little surprised if they changed the game on that level.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wouldn't a Skyward Sword Switch port need a handheld mode added to it (esp given the amount of Lite owners)?

Be interesting to see how they rework it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

retailer listings are hardly accurate sources for news/leaks, so i would completely forget about this until we hear something further.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Amppelix posted:

retailer listings are hardly accurate sources for news/leaks, so i would completely forget about this until we hear something further.

it has an ASIN number, and amazon uk have been leaking poo poo like this for awhile now, they leaked watch dogs legion, need for speed remaster, ride 3 all before official annoucement. theres a rumour of a direct this month too but lol.

and given aonuma talked about it in 2018, this is like 90% real at this time.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I maintain that you could map most of the motion controls to the right stick or a button and be no worse for wear

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

it has an ASIN number, and amazon uk have been leaking poo poo like this for awhile now, they leaked watch dogs legion, need for speed remaster, ride 3 all before official annoucement. theres a rumour of a direct this month too but lol.

and given aonuma talked about it in 2018, this is like 90% real at this time.
well, i guess i'll believe in it a little bit more than usual.

about the direct though, i would be surprised if there isn't one this month. but i would also be surprised if it isn't another partner showcase minishow like the last one. they didn't create that branding to not use it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

romanowski posted:

I maintain that you could map most of the motion controls to the right stick or a button and be no worse for wear

you can on dolphin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOlwmCc5G0I

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm glad this reinforces what I thought but why is this man holding the controller like a deranged lunatic

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland Redux?

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. TRR is a superb game; the only QoL upgrade it needs is a bargaining method that doesn't rely entirely on guesswork or cheat lists.

Silver Falcon posted:

Ehhh, yeah I'm in the same boat. The game has some very deep flaws that go way beyond some simple QoL fixes. Those fixes would certainly help but the game has bigger problems.

Yeah, it has some great stuff in, but it needs a hefty chunk of it rewritten to make it less linear and repetitive.

(And the option to switch Fi off.)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

romanowski posted:

Yeah. I've always thought a Switch port of SS is possible and very feasible, and if one comes, it'll have motion controls optional and include some form of normal controller controls. Even more so now that there's a Switch Lite too.

Anyways very nice news if it ends up coming true. I like SS, warts and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Hopefully they'll make the Silent Realm trials less horseshit; I gave up on the game at the third one.