Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Aha, so I suppose this is like Groundhog Day: The Game? All right, I think I’m starting to get it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is a very accurate description.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Smol posted:

Aha, so I suppose this is like Groundhog Day: The Game? All right, I think I’m starting to get it...

For me it was more like sleep paralysis the game.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Note to self: do save the game if you let the moon crash :shepicide:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wait, I thought the 3DS version just tells you to reload your last save if you let the moon crash?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Smol posted:

The game was inspired by the film, so you're spot on.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Should I go to that shrine or the tower

Well well well. Your boy is back and we have headed to That Shrine.

Worst Links’s Mastered Quest: Fire Eye’d Boy

————

Show Your Work With Selfies: Pt 2

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Pretty sweet cotton-candy plume on the helmet

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Love how the final champions ballad dungeon is a giant motorcycle engine.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cartoon Man posted:

Vah Room!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I like the implication with the towers and shrines that Hyrule is built on a bunch of ancient machines

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“An ancient civilization so alien that it appears to be magic to modern day natives” is my all-time favorite science fiction setting, so that’s fine with me!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

“An ancient civilization so alien that it appears to be magic to modern day natives” is my all-time favorite science fiction setting, so that’s fine with me!

I seem to remember a book with exactly that. I want to say it was Shanara?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Bust Rodd posted:

Someone way upthread at one point had mentioned "Viriconium" for this kind of thing, inspiring me to grab it on Kindle, and yeah, it definitely scratches this itch.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cartoon Man posted:

Mind blown again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cartoon Man posted:

Haha is that true? I felt like it was going for something but couldn't put my finger on it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sarcastro posted:

Someone way upthread at one point had mentioned "Viriconium" for this kind of thing, inspiring me to grab it on Kindle, and yeah, it definitely scratches this itch.

That was actually me. Glad you enjoyed it!

Also I’m finally playing through Horizon: Zero Dawn and it’s crazy how similar these games ended up being.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The absolute freedom and feel of movement in BOTW has ruined every other open world game for me. I had to do some geometry clipping in HZD to get back into an area I was locked out because I advanced the story too much so I could get a collectable for the special armor. That was super cool.

Oh and genshin impact controls like mud and feels so stiff. It's like someone took the overword controls and animations from tales of symphonia and tried to ape BOTW with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I know this is entirely the point of these videos but like this just make the streamers in question looks so incompetent and stupid and insanely bad video games, this is giving me the same kind of brain chaffing that the Cuphead demo guy gave me. You have to be like “actively bad” at video games to be this bad
I disagree, but even if you were right, so what? In what way does somebody being worse at a video game than you harm you?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's about rank incompetence in video game journalism

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I disagree, but even if you were right, so what? In what way does somebody being worse at a video game than you harm you?

It's not a problem unless its represented as an accurate depiction of how confusing the game is. Nier the original was notable for a reviewer slagging off the entire game because he wasn't able to figure out the fishing minigame early on and somehow that was evidence the game was poorly designed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cartoon Man posted:

What?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Close enough.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I like to think it's just the engine of the motorcycle you ride, and Link gets Minish'd to fine tune it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I missed that combat tutorial shrine because I left my switch at my friends house and they ended up doing it. Although they did tell me about the dodge mechanic at least.

What I didn't realise until way late in the game was the shield bash wasn't only for parrying guardian lasers, but for parrying everything.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Raposa posted:

I like to think it's just the engine of the motorcycle you ride, and Link gets Minish'd to fine tune it.

They need to make the next Zelda game take place 10,000 years ago during the SheikaPunk era when all these monks and technology was around.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

They need to make the next Zelda game take place 10,000 years ago during the SheikaPunk era when all these monks and technology was around.
For real. The earliest game in the timeline even has an ancient forgotten civilization, so it seems like Hyrule goes through periods of being technologically advanced and we've never had a game take place in those eras.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

timeline or no timeline, that's just because ancient advanced civilization is fantasy writing 101 and an extremely classic trope. they aren't "teasing" a game actually set in said advanced era with that stuff, it's just there to fill out the current world.

that's not to say a zelda game set in a radically different hyrule wouldn't be rad though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's the past in Skyward Sword. Guardians are related to the mining facility robots, the defeat of Demise is the origin of the Calamity, and the hero in the tapestry has red hair because history mistakenly combined the figures of Link and Groose.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was originally pink hair but it was corrupted by the passage of time

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love taming random horses, like I'll be walking to my destination but there's some horse nearby so I'll take a detour and tackle whichever horse is prettiest and ride it until I hit unsuitable terrain. Then I just park them under a tree and wander off. Sometimes I wonder what happens to those horses... Weirdly, I don't like taking out the horses I already own because I'm vaguely worried they'll get eaten without me. Like, whatever happens to the wild horses, happens. Horses I've named I care about.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I love taming random horses, like I'll be walking to my destination but there's some horse nearby so I'll take a detour and tackle whichever horse is prettiest and ride it until I hit unsuitable terrain. Then I just park them under a tree and wander off. Sometimes I wonder what happens to those horses... Weirdly, I don't like taking out the horses I already own because I'm vaguely worried they'll get eaten without me. Like, whatever happens to the wild horses, happens. Horses I've named I care about.

Pretty sure those horses stay right there until the next blood moon.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the blood moon in BOTW2. From a game engine standpoint, they created it specifically to reset the world so they don’t have the memory issues that games like Skyrim have. If something glitches out, the game can literally force a blood moon in the middle of the day to correct the problem, though it’s rare and most people won’t see this. Will the blood moon return as part of whatever story they come up with? Or will there be some other in game event to account for it that serves a similar function?

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 16, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty sure those horses stay right there until the next blood moon.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the blood moon in BOTW2. From a game engine standpoint, they created it specifically to reset the world so they don’t have the memory issues that games like Skyrim have. If something glitches out, the game can literally force a blood moon in the middle of the day to correct the problem, though it’s rare and most people won’t see this. Will the blood moon return as part of whatever story they come up with? Or will there be some other in game event to account for it that serves a similar function?

BotW2 is also an unofficial Majora's Mask sequel so it will just be handled through a time-loop.

This is the world I have chosen to live in.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Bust Rodd posted:

That was actually me. Glad you enjoyed it!

poo poo - that worked out well! Thanks for the recommendation.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The absolute freedom and feel of movement in BOTW has ruined every other open world game for me.

Yeah, it's really weird going from BOTW to any other even slightly-similar game. Every time I play a bit of Super Mario Odyssey after having played a bit of BOTW it takes a few minutes to get over not being able to just climb up things. (also, only now do I realize that it would be fun to bring Cappy to Hyrule.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 16, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s how they handle weapon degradation, the game only has like 7 weapons and if you want to keep playing with them you just go back in time to before they were broken :getin:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

BotW2 is also an unofficial Majora's Mask sequel so it will just be handled through a time-loop.

This is the world I have chosen to live in.

Honestly, something like that would be amazing in the BOTW world. The game could open with you playing through the first 72 hours which culminates in something catastrophic, maybe even something that kills Zelda. Then you play the song of time, or whatever the new in-game macguffin they come up with is and reset the world to the previous 72 hours.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Link. Die. Repeat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PantsBandit posted:

BotW2 is also an unofficial Majora's Mask sequel

Sarcastro posted:

only now do I realize that it would be fun to bring Cappy to Hyrule

:thunk:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Worst Link’s Master Quest: Water Sports

Hello and welcome back. Last time we hosed around a lot. Today I give you part Two of my triptych of incompetency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think this weekend I'm going to tackle Eventide. It seemed like an awesome premise the first time I wandered over there but I died almost immediately to something that jumped up out of the ground and left it until later when I'd have more hearts and stamina.