Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Smol posted:

“You put the Deku Princess in a bottle” :staredog:

The first boss was super easy. Not sure if you were supposed to use the bombs (I noticed the bomb flowers just before the fight ended), but I just strafed behind him and hit him in the butt.

Back when the game first came out, I came over to my neighbors house, and he was nearly having a meltdown because he couldn’t figure out what to do with the Deku Princess. He hands my other friend the controller, and goes upstairs to calm down and grab a drink. I immediately joke “Stuff her rear end in a bottle if she doesn’t want to cooperate.”

My neighbor came running back down the stairs to find out why we were laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the dialogue in that Ubisoft game is painfully unfunny and annoying

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I like this game

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
digging up half of africa for shiny rocks i can make think in order to create the technology necessary for displaying history's most beautifully rendered ball in hole puzzle

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I like this game
i just want to say i appreciate your valiant efforts to keep the thread somewhat on the topic of botw

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thinking about it this morning, the one single easy change I'd make to the game is to have the DLC motorcycle unlockable from the start of you've already won it once.

Biggest argument for a modded playthrough here. There's a mod that puts it in the shrine of resurrection, and another that puts it just on top of some mountain.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want a mode where you stable the nature spirit on top of the mountain, but doing so causes a semi-permanent blood moon effect until you free them to restore the natural balance.

This mod would also come with this mask:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

romanowski posted:

it doesn't really do that, it just attracts them to you if they're out in the open. you still usually have to actually find them first

Also glows/sparkles when one is in a room. Chimes when one is being attracted.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

romanowski posted:

ok in my defense I haven't noticed this because I already know where they all are anyway :greenangel:

Ah yeah. You neeeeeerds

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Continuing with Majora’s Mask. First off, I tried to find all the golden skulltullas. I found 21, but I was unable to get the ones in the tree and I also heard one in the big pot room. I guessing that you can bomb the big pots (a cue to OoT?), but I was out of bombs at that point and I didn’t feel like backtracking to find more of them.

Now I’m visiting the mountains for the first time. Found a few frozen gorons, but not much else to report yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I beat the fishperson dungeon, and it plays so much better for me coming there second after a bunch of exploring and shrine finding. Especially the long enemy gauntlet leading up to it and the boss fight, both of which have been stumbling blocks when I follow the game's suggestion and head there first. I even took out the Lynel to stock up on all his arrows, something I've never done before. I stand by my new belief that the birb dungeon should've been the intended one for folks wanting to follow the game's guidance.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Smol posted:

Continuing with Majora’s Mask. First off, I tried to find all the golden skulltullas. I found 21, but I was unable to get the ones in the tree and I also heard one in the big pot room. I guessing that you can bomb the big pots (a cue to OoT?), but I was out of bombs at that point and I didn’t feel like backtracking to find more of them.

Now I’m visiting the mountains for the first time. Found a few frozen gorons, but not much else to report yet.

Pots/trees: you can roll into them to knock stuff out.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I’m not looking for spoilers, so I’m not going to read the hint.

Anyhow, I met the goron hero and got his mask. Currently stuck on the bridge with a giant goron blowing air at you. But I think that’s enough gaming for today, going to continue at a later date.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I stand by my new belief that the birb dungeon should've been the intended one for folks wanting to follow the game's guidance.

I agree that beating the birb first is the most fun way to play, but my guess is that the designers thought Mipha’s grace would be most useful at low hearts. Once you get a fairy supply and decent food it’s mostly pointless honestly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you were guided to get revali's gale first the game's terrain would be even more trivialised and overlooked than it currently is. of course they don't want to give that one to you before you've done a bit of running around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Loucks posted:

I agree that beating the birb first is the most fun way to play, but my guess is that the designers thought Mipha’s grace would be most useful at low hearts. Once you get a fairy supply and decent food it’s mostly pointless honestly.

Yeah I think that was their thought process too, and I would've agreed on my first playthrough. But I think it's secretly a trap option early on, it's slow to recharge and you stand a pretty good chance of getting one-shotted again in bigger battles while you're still low on hearts. It's way more powerful as a late game item when you can resurrect as a big drat hero, so I think the less obvious choice of not giving it to you up front by default makes more sense.

e: personally I don't think the gale trivializes the terrain so much as it makes it more reasonable to deal with. I don't think it starts getting trivial until you have a bunch more stamina, so you'd be like 20 shrines in at least by that point. I definitely wasn't that far in by the first dungeon in my early playthroughs.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 25, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I needed way more time to figure out the ins and outs of combat that I needed to figure out the ends and outs of climbing so I was personally much more grateful for me for his grace. Revaldi’s Gale feels more like a super power.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Gale does trivialize some things, but those are usually skippable anyway. Obviously experience matters, and I’d absolutely advise a first time player to accept the game’s guidance to do Zora first. The intended experience is also a lot of fun.

Rushing to Rito with three hearts, ten arrows, and a pile of crap weapons is the sort of thing that only works when you’ve played the game before and know what to expect.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I recommend doing the Goron beast first, not because it’s easy (it’s not) or because the special power is useful (it’s not), but because Death Mountain looks incredibly ugly on the skyline before you do it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lobok posted:

Heart, lungs, the usual.
:golfclap:

Shocked nobody appreciated this as much as I did.

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s supposedly a light hearted comedic take on Greek mythology.
So not content with just ripping off Zelda, they ripped off Kid Icarus too?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it's less a ripoff of kid icarus and more a ripoff of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum. except the forum in question was StileProject.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You don’t really need to be an especially clever person to try and wring some laughs out of a bunch of fables where all powerful deities turn into cows or geese to gently caress people.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

So not content with just ripping off Zelda, they ripped off Kid Icarus too?
Kid Icarus is famous for inventing greek mythology

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Talkin' 'bout the tone, yo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's still a very strangely specific thing to go for, as if nobody has done light-hearted greek myth before or after kid icarus. greek mythology is a *very* popular subject.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kid Icarus of the Wild when?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Talkin' 'bout the tone, yo.

Disney's Hercules would like a word with you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well it finally happened, Zelda thread, after holding out for a long time I got bit by the Hyrule Warriors bug, just in time for the next one to come out. But I think I'll be busy for a while with the original.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I feel like Rivali doesn't trivialize anything, it just speeds up a tedious thing. I love, LOVE climbing things in this game, but a lot of the time, you're just climbing something so you can jump off of it. This just cuts out that middle man. You can argue it trivializes towers or maybe parts of the castle, but really that's just more climbing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Revali’s Gale does to climbing but Urbosa’s Fury does to combat, and climbing and combat are 2/3s of the games major mechanics. Imagine how boring the game would be if you unlocked Fury first and every single fight was just unleashing a charge attack to wipe out every mob in a half mile radius.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine not turning off Fury and Protection immediately

After the novelty wore off I only turned them on in specific circumstances. You can choose for yourself not to be boring in this game more than nearly any other

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Actually, the way I enjoy the game is the only correct way. Sorry folks, I'm going to have to ask you to delete your saves and start over properly.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Revali’s Gale does to climbing but Urbosa’s Fury does to combat, and climbing and combat are 2/3s of the games major mechanics. Imagine how boring the game would be if you unlocked Fury first and every single fight was just unleashing a charge attack to wipe out every mob in a half mile radius.

Urbosa is on a 12 minute cool down though? And half the time I forget to use it. And usually if I use it it doesn't auto-nuke everything.

Like, if you don't enjoy it, don't use it. No one's forcing you to. It doesn't replace your attack options. And you can just drain it before combat if it makes it that much less enjoyable.

This feels like being upset that the vanish/death combo in FF6 trivializes the game. You can just.... Not do it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Getting Revali's Gale pretty far into your first run is good, because the game doesn't really have any other great prizes to give out later in the game. You get something really useful that you didn't know you wanted or could even have until you get it.

On subsequent playthroughs, climbing is even more annoying because you know something is out there to make it less tedious. But the game lets you beeline to it if you want it and know it's there, so it's the best of both worlds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Saxophone posted:

Like, if you don't enjoy it, don't use it. No one's forcing you to. It doesn't replace your attack options. And you can just drain it before combat if it makes it that much less enjoyable.

It literally replaces your spin attack.

I also did not know you could turn powers off.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Urbosa's Fury becomes pretty amazing when every enemy camp has at least 2 Silver tier enemies in it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Agreed. For me fury is really about reducing the amount of time I have to spend beating on enemies who have waaaay too much health.

Maybe “have too” is a bit much, but sometimes it’s fun to drop in and murder an encampment even though it doesn’t move the plot forward or result on any useful loot. My Link is a psychopathic killer.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Urbosa's Fury was more palatable to me once I realized I could press B when it was priming to cancel it on my spin attacks.

Really, all of the powers for me wound up annoying me more than being useful, other than Revali's Gale. Daruk's Protection messes with my timing on shield bash/reflections, and Mipha's Grace has a habit of activating between killing hits (either two Lynel attacks, etc. or falling down a cliff). I didn't realize until 3rd playthrough or so you could turn them off. Still, they do have their utility. Urbosa's Fury is great on the Moldugas, because you can bomb to take it down, then spin attack until it is about to get up, then release the spin and Fury, then repeat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's also good for telling keese flocks to go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's also good for telling keese flocks to go gently caress themselves.

Triple bomb arrows come out for those