Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nanigans posted:

Please reduce the number of times you have to fight the Imprisoned

they would have to change the story and cutscenes surrounding those fights so zero chance of this happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Just was going to complain about attacking the toe monster in Skyward but I remembered BOTW makes you fight a Hinok's toes the same way. Must be a sly throwback

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Augus posted:

they would have to change the story and cutscenes surrounding those fights so zero chance of this happening.

Just make one of the times a literal cutscene of Link beating it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Super No Vacancy posted:

frankly its weird that zelda isnt as big as mario

It kinda is, jokes aside? Not quite the same cachet but it's one of Nintendo's big things and Link often gets equal billing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

It's peculiar how much this Skyward Sword remake is bothering me. I have wanted them to make a version of the game with traditional controls for years, but now that it's coming I am hugely bothered by how ludicrously expensive it is. I think that, price-wise, this might be the biggest piss-take Nintendo has ever pulled. I'm genuinely offended, but I realise that me not buying a copy in protest is not going to change a bloody thing.

I'd say charging $60 for Skyward Sword HD (assuming they don't half-rear end the treatment too badly) is not less reasonable than charging $60 for Link's Awakening. Don't get me wrong, neither should be more than $40, but this is Nintendo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zat posted:

I'd say charging $60 for Skyward Sword HD (assuming they don't half-rear end the treatment too badly) is more reasonable than charging $60 for Link's Awakening. Make no mistake, neither should be more than $40, but this is Nintendo.

Link's Awakening was an actual remake though, with completely new visuals. It still shouldn't have been full price but at least there was something to justify it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

stev posted:

Link's Awakening was an actual remake though, with completely new visuals. It still shouldn't have been full price but at least there was something to justify it.

I know, and it's great. But when the remake of a Game Boy game cost $60, you just knew a new remaster of a full-length 3D Zelda was going to cost $60.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m waiting to see what Quality of Life updates they bring to Skyward Sword (like in Wind Waker HD) and/or added content (like in Twilight Princess HD) before I determine if I’m gonna drop $60 on it.

Then again the price probably won’t ever drop. I only bought Link’s Awakening when it was like 50% off a year or so after release. Idk. We shall see.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’d love to see the Links Awakening engine used again. The Capcom Oracle games are the obvious candidates, or perhaps a Minish Cap remaster. I also wouldn’t mind them using that engine to redo Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. Just hope it’s not going to be a one-off game, I love the diorama toy box type look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My recent dives into the Zelda timeline suggest they seem to prefer the Child timeline for the particularly cartoony multiplayer games.

While a lot of people seem to be like 'Obviously they rebooted the timelines so they don't have to be so careful about where and when they set the next game' it's not like setting conceits have ever been the slightest obstacle to Nintendo, or the games haven't been released in basically random order as far as the timelines are concerned. Would be interesting if a game basically sets the stage for BotW. (not like AoC)

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I’d love to see the Links Awakening engine used again. The Capcom Oracle games are the obvious candidates, or perhaps a Minish Cap remaster. I also wouldn’t mind them using that engine to redo Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. Just hope it’s not going to be a one-off game, I love the diorama toy box type look.

It would be perfect for an Earthbound game.

So it'll never happen.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Cartoon Man posted:

I'd love to see Greezo take a shot at making an original Zelda game using the same engine. Although the Oracle games and Minish Cap would be stellar choices as well.

...I don't see remaking Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks without great modifications though. If people were doubtful about Skyward Sword being ported at all due to being very reliant on motion controls, then the DS games are going to be near impossible without reworking the game entirely due to the lack of a second screen.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cartoon Man posted:

I have no real feelings about the Link's Awakening engine, but I really want to see a remake of Ages & Seasons and if using that engine makes it possible, that's fine with me.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m waiting to see what Quality of Life updates they bring to Skyward Sword (like in Wind Waker HD) and/or added content (like in Twilight Princess HD) before I determine if I’m gonna drop $60 on it.

Then again the price probably won’t ever drop. I only bought Link’s Awakening when it was like 50% off a year or so after release. Idk. We shall see.

I would say that you did very well to get 50% off after only a year. For a core Nintendo IP, such as Mario, Zelda, Smash etc, my rule of thumb is basically that it will never never drop below 75% digital and perhaps slightly more than that secondhand physical since Nintendo purposely underproduces physical games. I was able to get the international version (no region locking, at least) of Link's Awakening two months after it came out for exactly $50 US, tax and shipping included, and I consider that remarkable.

Zuzie posted:

...I don't see remaking Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks without great modifications though. If people were doubtful about Skyward Sword being ported at all due to being very reliant on motion controls, then the DS games are going to be near impossible without reworking the game entirely due to the lack of a second screen.

I sadly have to agree. I bought Phantom Hourglass for DS without realising what they had done with it, and I was immediately put off and never bought Spirit Tracks until just a few months ago when I bought it on Wii U VC because it was :10bux: and I thought that it would be less cumbersome on the Wii U pad.

At the very least, there are fan-hacked versions of both PH and ST that have traditional controls slotted in. Don't misconstrue... I have no problem with Nintendo trying something new on a dual-screen touch-sensitive system that was revolutionary at the time. What I resent is that there was no option for classic controls, which were clearly possible.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zuzie posted:

I never played PH, but I would welcome a Spirit Tracks remake that changed the controls. I played the game when it first came out and enjoyed what I could play well enough, but I hit a brick wall at the third panpipe tune with the disconnected tones. I tried for somewhere like five hours to try and get the game to recognize the tune but it would not allow me to play it no matter how I tried, and there's no way I could find to force the game to play it any other way. Generally anything forcing you to use the non-button controls with any degree of precision was an awful mistake.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

kvx687 posted:

I never played PH, but I would welcome a Spirit Tracks remake that changed the controls. I played the game when it first came out and enjoyed what I could play well enough, but I hit a brick wall at the third panpipe tune with the disconnected tones. I tried for somewhere like five hours to try and get the game to recognize the tune but it would not allow me to play it no matter how I tried, and there's no way I could find to force the game to play it any other way. Generally anything forcing you to use the non-button controls with any degree of precision was an awful mistake.

Same exact thing happened to me. Could never make it work and I just put down the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I dunno if I'd pick up a Spirit Tracks remake even with different controls. I beat it once, but noped out of a second playthrough after getting so sick of the restricted overworld. It just feels so antithetical to the central Zelda experience.
A shame, because I thought the dungeons were actually pretty solid, and I liked having Zelda as a more useful character for once.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The pan pipe was awful, so were the train sections which were a huge part of the game, unfortunately. I do recall some of the dungeons being interesting, and it was nice that they let you actually use buttons instead of only touch controls like in Phantom Hourglass. But Spirit Tracks is not very good, overall. Maybe the worst game in the series?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Maybe the worst game in the series?

I think so, for the modern era at least. Zelda 2 wins overall on account of just being so old-school hard that I'll never go back to try it again beyond the couple of dungeons I've seen. Only game in the series I haven't at least beaten on principle.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W_bFLwB0WY

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Spirit Tracks is the only post-NES Zelda that I've started without finishing. I think I was absolutely fed up with how the train navigated and I bailed out when they introduced the Evil Trains that moved faster than you and killed on contact.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Spirit Tracks lost me when I carefully manipulated the two demon trains into colliding head-on, but they just passed through each other. However, I didn't stop playing until I reached the final boss, which I gave up on because I hated it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I always considered Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks the lease likely to be remade due partly to the two-screen gimmick and partly to them being mobile games and thus more 'niche', but the latter especially needs it.

Some people object to this for reasons that I do not understand, but let me reiterate that there is a fan mod for both PH and ST that uses traditional controls. I can't speak for ST, but I have played PH a bit with the mod and it feels like old times.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

Spirit Tracks lost me when I carefully manipulated the two demon trains into colliding head-on, but they just passed through each other. However, I didn't stop playing until I reached the final boss, which I gave up on because I hated it.

That happened to me too but poo poo I guess they're ghosts

Folks get weird that you can suplex a ghost train and then folks get weird that you can't crash two ghost trains into each other

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spirit Tracks remake but it's Leon Kennedy suplexing the ghost trains when

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

All HW weapons obtained, just under 6,000 KOs remaining to unlock Exorcism and then begin working on the sealed skills for all the other characters. I didn't want to just grind uselessly, so I went back to the first adventure maps to start collecting all the stuff I missed or skipped, and it's hilariously easy now with Link at max level. Wondering if when I unlock Exorcism I'll finally be able to take out keep bosses and other low-ranking captains in one hit, lol.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It kinda is, jokes aside? Not quite the same cachet but it's one of Nintendo's big things and Link often gets equal billing.

It basically is, being the fourth top selling franchise for Nintendo but everything above it (Mario/Pokemon/Wii) have sold so god drat much they make Zelda look insignificant. Really sucks that Zelda isn't going neck and neck with Mario in popularity and sales but it definitely is a huge series.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I remember literally nothing from my Spirit Tracks playthrough besides the train theme song being amazing.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

iirc if you have two demon train crash while being close enough to see it happen on camera you can see that they don't phase through each other, they both turn around? It's been a while, could be wrong about this

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The part towards the end of Spirit Tracks where it suddenly became quite literally Pac-Man was a fun idea. Almost feels like the train gameplay with the ghost trains etc was all there to build up to that.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I remember Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass both pretty fondly. If I recall correctly, I was playing on an emulator, and liberal use of savestates helped cut down on the repetition. Spirit Tracks in particular, I loved the train traversal. The music was nice and jaunty, there were plenty of points of interest on the way as you journeyed, setting up rail warps required a little skill. It felt like a meaningful improvement on my experience sailing in the last two cel shaded Zeldas. The panpipe stuff was frustrating, and the puzzle where you close the DS was a major technical challenge. Still, I feel the positives outweighed the negatives.

The little demon mayor was a fun design, and his... hookshot using flunky? That guy wasn't super memorable, but he was an acceptable rival type miniboss. I think the final boss took up both screens? A pretty neat spectacle, but in general the boss fights on DS weren't super memorable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I will say I like the music too (and can remember it despite not playing since soon after the game came out), and the whole Engineer Link has a fun vibe. It's just having that as the entire overworld rather than a travel system or something, that's what kills it for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

I feel like this is the kind of thing that absolutely would work and is an intended trick in a game like BotW, and probably why it's so well received.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since I’m a cave man who doesn’t own a switch her and still has a Wii-U, how do the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks games hold up on that system? They’re VC titles right?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

Since I’m a cave man who doesn’t own a switch her and still has a Wii-U, how do the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks games hold up on that system? They’re VC titles right?

I bought Spirit Tracks on Wii U Virtual Console and I found it considerably more ergonomic.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I remember Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass both pretty fondly. If I recall correctly, I was playing on an emulator, and liberal use of savestates helped cut down on the repetition. Spirit Tracks in particular, I loved the train traversal. The music was nice and jaunty, there were plenty of points of interest on the way as you journeyed, setting up rail warps required a little skill. It felt like a meaningful improvement on my experience sailing in the last two cel shaded Zeldas. The panpipe stuff was frustrating, and the puzzle where you close the DS was a major technical challenge. Still, I feel the positives outweighed the negatives.

The little demon mayor was a fun design, and his... hookshot using flunky? That guy wasn't super memorable, but he was an acceptable rival type miniboss. I think the final boss took up both screens? A pretty neat spectacle, but in general the boss fights on DS weren't super memorable.

I am glad that you enjoyed it and I envy you that enjoyment; I wanted to like it too. :D

night slime
May 14, 2014
They seemed fine from what I played. Just remember not to freak out when the default display setting is the weird DS -on-the-tablet thing and change it to one of the normal options.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Anyone got any ideas where i could find the last missing heart piece and last 2 seashells in links awakening on switch? Ive done everything, been everywhere and the guides i checked out ive got those that they list!? Ive done all dampe stuff and got a rapids time of under 40 seconds. I have the dungeon ones too. I dont know what i could have missed.

I know one seashell i havent got is in the blooper in the fishing game, ive got the cheep cheep and the rest, i dont have that ol baron yet, is that one?

Edit: i have the blooper seashell, i need 1 more and 1 more heart piece :negative:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 21, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Goblin Craft posted:

Wondering if when I unlock Exorcism I'll finally be able to take out keep bosses and other low-ranking captains in one hit, lol.

I don't know if it's true but when HW first came out I remember there being a theory that there was a damage cap of sorts on your attacks, because people were wondering why they had a top tier weapon and 90 more levels than in the early game but couldn't take out keep bosses and stuff in one hit when they went back to those levels.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Anyone got any ideas where i could find the last missing heart piece and last 2 seashells in links awakening on switch? Ive done everything, been everywhere and the guides i checked out ive got those that they list!? Ive done all dampe stuff and got a rapids time of under 40 seconds. I have the dungeon ones too. I dont know what i could have missed.

I know one seashell i havent got is in the blooper in the fishing game, ive got the cheep cheep and the rest, i dont have that ol baron yet, is that one?

Edit: i have the blooper seashell, i need 1 more and 1 more heart piece :negative:

Lmao i found them, both next to each other in ukuku. Discovered accidently just before finding them, theres an in game nao in the memories that shows the locations of every heart and shell you've already found :eyepop: i then cross checked with an online map. Easy. Time to go wake this fish up

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

A loving chamber stone for 50 shells nintendo stop smoking crack what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vikar Jerome posted:

Lmao i found them, both next to each other in ukuku. Discovered accidently just before finding them, theres an in game nao in the memories that shows the locations of every heart and shell you've already found :eyepop: i then cross checked with an online map. Easy. Time to go wake this fish up

I am glad that you found it. I gave up my first playthrough of Link to the Past years ago because I couldn't find the last of 24 heart pieces and I had everything else "official" in the game, including max bomb and arrow capacity but without the "Good Bee". Still slightly embarrassed about that.