Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

if you have to use a 30 minute tough potion beforehand and chop down and eat every tree then still get one-hit 3/4 of the way through it’s probably too hard for a zelda

i mean. you don't though. eating all the trees is for weirdos. if you can generally get through master mode, you can beat the trials.

the only exploit you do truly actually need is sneakstrike chaining, for those extremely rude silver lizalfos in the aforementioned floor 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It took me more than a year to get through the Trial of the Sword. I was pretty relaxed about it though. Maybe once or twice a month, if I had a free afternoon, I'd prep a thirty minute amor+3 meal and take a run at the Trial.

Never eat in an empty room. If you've killed everything in the room you're in, go to the next room, crouch, see what you're up against, and then make an eating decision. No point in panic-eating valuable buffable food ingredients if it turns out the next room has a cookpot, and a fairy or two.

I did eat the trees, but only in the rest rooms. bombing all the trees in other rooms took too much time.

Got through the first and second trials on my first run at both, it's the third that took me the year.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

maltesh posted:

It took me more than a year to get through the Trial of the Sword. I was pretty relaxed about it though. Maybe once or twice a month, if I had a free afternoon, I'd prep a thirty minute amor+3 meal and take a run at the Trial.

Never eat in an empty room. If you've killed everything in the room you're in, go to the next room, crouch, see what you're up against, and then make an eating decision. No point in panic-eating valuable buffable food ingredients if it turns out the next room has a cookpot, and a fairy or two.

I did eat the trees, but only in the rest rooms. bombing all the trees in other rooms took too much time.

Got through the first and second trials on my first run at both, it's the third that took me the year.

I find the third the easiest, is that weird? It has so many heart ingredients and so much elemental weaponry that it's pretty trivial as long as you don't get overconfident or panic. Well, and as long as you've got long-distance laser reflect timing down...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
By the third set you should have enough ancient arrows to deal with the real threats

I certainly hope everyone had their chest sensor on in there

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it gives you nine ancient arrows which is more than enough to kill all of the moving guardians and lynels and you'll even have some left over to shoot at most of the decayed guardians too. especially because of this it's totally the easiest one on master mode, because the enemies' increased strength and regen doesn't matter when you're just making them disappear into the ether with your arrows.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I found the third set to be easiest as well. Saved the ancient arrows for the Lynels and turret guardians and it wasn't too bad. I just climbed up to the turrets, let them focus on me, and popped them in the eye.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Trial of the sword is manageable by mere mortals except on Master Sword difficulty. Just google up a guide and it will tell you how to kill each room and what items to look for. The reward would have been better if it not only powered up the sword to full damage but also removed the cool down timer. At that point in the game you’ve likely done mostly everything anyway and having an unbreakable master sword would be fun as heck. At the least they could’ve reduced the cool down to like 2 minutes or something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I did the first set of Master Trials just fine, then I got to the second one and its stupid gimmick and I got one shot by an enemy hidden behind a wall shooting an arrow at me and I just said gently caress this and quit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Trial of the sword is manageable by mere mortals except on Master Sword difficulty. Just google up a guide and it will tell you how to kill each room and what items to look for. The reward would have been better if it not only powered up the sword to full damage but also removed the cool down timer. At that point in the game you’ve likely done mostly everything anyway and having an unbreakable master sword would be fun as heck. At the least they could’ve reduced the cool down to like 2 minutes or something.
the powered master sword has increased durability by a factor of like 5, so it's not like they didn't do anything to make it easier to use.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did the first set of Master Trials just fine, then I got to the second one and its stupid gimmick and I got one shot by an enemy hidden behind a wall shooting an arrow at me and I just said gently caress this and quit.

same, except after like a dozen tries on the 2nd set

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I begin by saying that difficulty is entirely relative, but I fully expected the trials to be muuuuuuuch too hard for me yet it wasn't ridiculous. Then I was disappointed that the fully upgraded Master Sword wasn't a fully permanent weapon as befitting such an ordeal, but in terms of story and difficulty. I'm also annoyed that it's still not possible to fully upgrade both life and stamina. I do have strong 'completionist' tendencies, but it's very satisfying to have full bars. I am fully aware that there is max stamina and health foods, but I feel that those should be a complement rather than a replacement.

There also should have been fully cosmetic gear slots.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My gut tells me that there should have been more DLC that would have added the 8 more shrines needed for two more heart containers. But they scrapped it and went for BOTW 2 instead.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is the fully upgraded Master Sword just permanently in a 60 points damage state? I've yet to complete the MS trials.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Because of the way hearty and energizing potions work (plus the stable and town inns) it's optimal to have a heart or three available for filling with yellows.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is the fully upgraded Master Sword just permanently in a 60 points damage state? I've yet to complete the MS trials.

Yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

night slime posted:

It seems that way but you're just supposed to avoid enemies for a while. It gets more bearable once you get off the plateau and can get weapons/armor upgrades. You did just wake up after 100 years after all

Even in vanilla I got the vibe that you're not encouraged to actually fight random enemies unless you're pretty sure you have something to gain from it, what with no combat-based experience system. There's a reason the game has a dedicated stealth system and armour that goes with it which you can buy pretty early on.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amppelix posted:

it gives you nine ancient arrows which is more than enough to kill all of the moving guardians and lynels and you'll even have some left over to shoot at most of the decayed guardians too. especially because of this it's totally the easiest one on master mode, because the enemies' increased strength and regen doesn't matter when you're just making them disappear into the ether with your arrows.

I whiffed my last Ancient Arrow on the Lynel in the last room. Then died. It was absolutely soul-crushing and I haven't attempted it since. :smith: I cleared the other Trials no problem.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Near the end of the game the only lynels that I had trouble were the ones with the club? I think at least, the sword ones and the spear ones I had their patterns down.

Def gonna try and defeat the lynel for that Zora thing this time.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even in vanilla I got the vibe that you're not encouraged to actually fight random enemies unless you're pretty sure you have something to gain from it, what with no combat-based experience system. There's a reason the game has a dedicated stealth system and armour that goes with it which you can buy pretty early on.

In support of this, the enemies have a combat based experience system; they level up based on how many enemies have been defeated.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Some guy posting reminded me that I took my horse on a raft (it was that sea town with all the melons) and it calmly stayed. Until I kept hitting it with the leaf by accident and it swam back to shore.

You can also build an armor raft if you put treasure chests on the raft so those stupid spitting enemies stop loving with you. Unfortunately the limited room can end up a problem here too if the leaf hits the chests and breaks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Have they posted any more information about the Skyward Sword re-release? I'm on the fence about that one, so I'm looking for something to make up my mind one way or t'other.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Have they posted any more information about the Skyward Sword re-release? I'm on the fence about that one, so I'm looking for something to make up my mind one way or t'other.

I'm planning on getting a physical copy, so if I don't like it (or I do but not enough to play through more than once) I can just turn around and resell it for like $40-$50

I never played it the first time around so I'm expecting to at least complete it once before judging

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

The original release caused a pretty big divide amongst typical Zelda fans. Some absolutely loved the motion controls and felt the story was fantastic (except for Fi’s constant nagging), while others thought the controls were rear end and the story crap. I was in the latter category and got about 1/3 of the way in before the motion controls got too annoying for me and the story just didn’t capture my attention.

I’m giving it a second chance cause I’m interested in how the stick controls to replace the waggle. I know it won’t be an ideal 1:1 conversion of the mechanics but I’m hoping it’s enough for me. I always wanted to play through it till the end.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm not putting down money until I hear that one or more of the following:

tone down Fi's constant nagging (possible?)
fix the pop ups telling you how much a blue ruppee is worth/what an Iron Ore is every time you boot the game (highly likely)
remove one of the Imprisoned fights or at least space out the second and third more (vanishingly unlikely)

I had other issues with the game, but those are far less egregious.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Silver Falcon posted:

fix the pop ups telling you how much a blue ruppee is worth/what an Iron Ore is every time you boot the game (highly likely)

Didn't Twilight Princess do this poo poo too?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Skulk Hogan posted:

It did! And they fixed it in the HD re-release, so it's highly likely it'll get fixed in Skyward Sword too.

It was just so much worse in Skyward Sword because at least Twilight Princess only did it for the Ruppees. In Skyward Sword, it also had the pop-up for every single bloody crafting mat you picked up every time you booted the game. There were at least 30 of those drat things. It was utterly maddening!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Honestly having missed every Zelda game between LoZ on the NES and BotW I’ll buy whatever they release for switch. I seem to remember thinking my roommate had way too much patience because they were always sailing around featureless oceans playing hundreds of hours of Wind Waker (?), but after a year hiding from Covid that sounds relaxing. It’s not as if the motion controls are great playing BotW on the switch lite anyway, so if skyward sword sucks I’ll just shut up and deal with it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Skulk Hogan posted:

It did but it was much much less obnoxious because TP didn't have much else than the few different kinds of rupees. Whereas Skyward Sword had you collecting all sorts of monster parts and bugs, and each one of those had an info text appear when you pick it up the first time after each reboot.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Basically, imagine if that was a thing happening with all the materials in BotW and it never got fixed.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zat posted:

It did but it was much much less obnoxious because TP didn't have much else than the few different kinds of rupees. Whereas Skyward Sword had you collecting all sorts of monster parts and bugs, and each one of those had an info text appear when you pick it up the first time after each reboot.

not only did it have the info text but it also pulled up your inventory and played a slow animation showing the item being added to it

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I am personally just looking for a game with sensible, traditional controls and Fi gagged in a sac full of rocks at the bottom of the sea, that's all. I doubt that we will ever see Sensible Phantom Hourglass and/or Spirit Tracks due to the dual-screen gimmick, so I am hoping that this makes chicken salad out of chicken poo poo. Waiting for news is hardly keeping me up at night, but all I can do is wait and see. Honestly, I am more looking forward to the new Mario Golf, which is an absolute buy for me.

If I do buy Skyward Sword Switch, it will be physical. I don't like to sell my games, though, so if I do buy it's forever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

From what I remember, I think I had a Gecko code or something to remove the extra Fi reminders? So it ended up not being a problem for my playthrough.

I liked how Link felt like he was struggling to play catch up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah you gotta do that to put apples in the bowls for the koroks. And then take all the apples back because what are they gonna do about it?

I always leave em because I dont want link to end up in some kind of korok purgatory being tortured by Hestu for all eternity.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I've watched this about 30 times over the last day and a half. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/MonsterMazeYT/status/1380176962627440642

night slime
May 14, 2014

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I always leave em because I dont want link to end up in some kind of korok purgatory being tortured by Hestu for all eternity.

Get pooped on bitch

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On replaying, I'm suddenly realising that the entire Korok Seed thing is basically a prank on Hestu to set off a game of hide and seek spanning a nation and possibly a century.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there an easy way to invoke Hestu or find him?

Moreover, once you find him, can you take a picture of him and set a beacon to locate him?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is there an easy way to invoke Hestu or find him?

Moreover, once you find him, can you take a picture of him and set a beacon to locate him?

After you find him and interact for a bit, he goes to one place and never moves again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

He'll only be in three locations before his final location, which is an area you will probably want to find for its own sake, and if you find that area before seeing him at the second or third locations, he'll just be there instead. But no to the camera or beacon thing.