Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Cleretic posted:

Fi is my favorite character to play in Hyrule Warriors, and I kind of hate that fact. She doesn't deserve to be as fun as she is!

Fi is trash tier go Twili Midna or go home.

If you just like to spin to win play Zant instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Bicyclops posted:

I think the Pirate Man counts for Phantom Hourglass. I don't remember his name because I only started it (I have to find a way to make it play on the TV so my wife and I can do it together). Ciel feels more like Navi than Tatl to me.

The Wii U VC version can be on the TV.

Also Linebeck is horrible and I hate him but he's also great and I love hating him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Keiya posted:

The Wii U VC version can be on the TV.

Also Linebeck is horrible and I hate him but he's also great and I love hating him.

I had no idea it was on Virtual Console! :aaa:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Almost every Zelda game ever made is officially available on Wii U.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Except MM and LA... :eng99:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rama of Ra posted:

MM has a better version on 3DS :eng101:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rama of Ra posted:

MM's available in PAL-land, I guess it hasn't made its way to NA yet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You could still get the Wii VC version on your Wii U. Same with Ocarina of Time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr Phillby posted:

Fi is trash tier go Twili Midna or go home.

If you just like to spin to win play Zant instead.

Truthfully I think I like Young Link and Marin most (honorable mention to Skull Kid for dunking the Moon), but since I've been going through the base game's adventure map there's been a lot of required hero maps and specific heart containers so I get to use the DLC people less than I'd like.

I do actually enjoy playing as everyone, though, which is awesome because there's usually some duds in a roster of this size.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 17, 2016

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Detective No. 27 posted:

You could still get the Wii VC version on your Wii U. Same with Ocarina of Time.

I have the OoT one, but I'm pretty sure there's no VC option for MM or LA at all, just the 3DS MM remake.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Almost every Zelda game ever made is officially available on Wii U.

Does that include Phantom Hourglass, A Link Between Worlds, or the new weird multiplayer one? Those are the only three I haven't played yet.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bicyclops posted:

Does that include Phantom Hourglass, A Link Between Worlds, or the new weird multiplayer one? Those are the only three I haven't played yet.

Phantom Hourglass is on Wii U Virtual Console. The others are 3DS only.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Phantom Hourglass is on Wii U Virtual Console. The others are 3DS only.

Thanks. I guess I'll burn through the Windwaker sequels with the wife, then we'll take turns with ALBW. She doesn't care about the multiplayer one. Gotta catch up before Breath of the Wild comes out!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

if it comes out

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

a.lo posted:

if it comes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbusENG6hCE

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This should play in between the time when Nintendo shows footage of any time and the time when the announce a new tentative release date.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bicyclops posted:

The 3DS games (ALBW, Triforce Heroes) are the only ones you straight-up can't play on Wii U.

You can't buy the Game Boy games (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages & Seasons) or Four Swords Adventures for Wii U but they are playable via homebrew.

EDIT: oh and the Tingle game isn't available, ain't that some bullshit

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Did the Tingle game ever make it to the West?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 3DS games (ALBW, Triforce Heroes) are the only ones you straight-up can't play on Wii U.

You can't buy the Game Boy games (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages & Seasons) or Four Swords Adventures for Wii U but they are playable via homebrew.

EDIT: oh and the Tingle game isn't available, ain't that some bullshit

The Oracle games are best played on an emulator IMO. Four Swords Adventures is the hardest to play because you can really only get it to run on a Wii or a Gamecube, and then only the single-player version unless you have a zillion GBAs and connectors. It's okay. I wish it didn't have a reincarnated Ganon because the Ganon in all the other games is Ocarina Ganon.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nope, Tingle's balloon was shot down over the ocean.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuU6ojvBIic

spoilers Wind Waker is for babies and he says the dungeons suck

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ometeotl posted:

Nope, Tingle's balloon was shot down over the ocean.

I thought the first one came out in Europe.

Also I remember taking an NoA survey asking about certain game mechanics and how they sounded, they sounded terrible and I said so. The mechanic was buying items in a shop but they don't tell you the price beforehand, so in retrospect they were definitely talking about this one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mabels big day posted:

I got to the part where he got angry that the game led back to the room where he needed to use the boomerang and he didn't use his notes :rolleyes:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I imported the Tingle game and I hated the haggling system. It feels very unsatisfying because you will never know how much you get cheated out of without just referring to a guide, and if you go lower than the minimum point they'll just get mad at you. Also there is basically no music in the overworld so it's pretty boring in that regard. There's other stuff I liked about it but the main gameplay conceit sucks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

This one is pretty bad. I don't totally disagree with the specific points he brings up in the video, but I totally reject his conclusions. He correctly praises the new steps forward in puzzle design that Windwaker brings to the series and then dismisses them out of hand because the dungeons don't require much backtracking. He even brings up that they did include more complicated exploration and backtracking to find all the optional things but dismisses it as significant. But like he touches on then ignores, players don't know what's significant and what isn't and his analysis is from the perspective of someone who already knows what's important, not someone who's just exploring and figuring out to get to all the chests.

Also lmao that he says the Wind Temple is the best one

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
After thirty years of playing videogames my opinion on backtracking, in general, is: gently caress backtracking.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Regy Rusty posted:

This one is pretty bad. I don't totally disagree with the specific points he brings up in the video, but I totally reject his conclusions. He correctly praises the new steps forward in puzzle design that Windwaker brings to the series and then dismisses them out of hand because the dungeons don't require much backtracking. He even brings up that they did include more complicated exploration and backtracking to find all the optional things but dismisses it as significant. But like he touches on then ignores, players don't know what's significant and what isn't and his analysis is from the perspective of someone who already knows what's important, not someone who's just exploring and figuring out to get to all the chests.

The critical path being a straightforward path that teaches you the dungeon puzzles so well you want to go back to do all the things you've learned is excellent, and as you said very much something he ignores. It's also astonishing how he doesn't even mention how these new shortcuts teach you how to use the dungeon items, in preparation for the next part of the dungeon you're opening up with it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
This Wind Waker video and the Oracle one before it were both terrible, this series is really going downhill fast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pee out my butt posted:

This Wind Waker video and the Oracle one before it were both terrible, this series is really going downhill fast.

Yeah, I actually kinda liked the Oracle video (even though it didn't talk much about the Oracle dungeons) because I thought the chart he developed could provide an interesting way to supplement future dungeon discussion. Now though seeing him put it into practice, it seems like he's using that chart to boil the dungeons down to "non-linear = good, linear = bad" and that's both boring and way too narrow a focus.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

He's going to loving hate a couple of really good dungeons I think, because he seems to have the idea that linear = automatically bad, and complex = automatically good, when you can have good or bad dungeons of both type.

Called it

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Lmao isn't this guys m.o. that any linearity at all sucks?
His videos are super disappointing to me because instead of going over why people enjoy these dungeons, he just rags on the same thing over and over again.

Like seriously based on this series you'd think the last good zelda game was LA

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dude has a very specific idea for what is good no matter the game or the style of game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

this is a good way of putting it. i understand and can agree with some of his points but he's way too dismissive here.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Most bad assessments of game design, I think, focus overly on the major aspects the reviewer enjoys, without taking into account other perspectives. "This sucks because it's too easy" or "This sucks because it's on rails" or even "There are permanently missable items in this game" when those things are very obviously part of the intention. Like there are criticisms that are universal like "This requires a guide to play because you would not otherwise realistically come up with the solution" and things that don't belong in specific series (I don't think there should be missables in a traditional Zelda game), but Windwaker makes you backtrack enough for the sidequests that it doesn't need to do it in dungeons, nor does automatically taking you back to rooms where you can utilize your new item necessarily mean an absence of puzzles (and it's been a part of Zelda since A Link to the Past, at least).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, I actually kinda liked the Oracle video (even though it didn't talk much about the Oracle dungeons) because I thought the chart he developed could provide an interesting way to supplement future dungeon discussion. Now though seeing him put it into practice, it seems like he's using that chart to boil the dungeons down to "non-linear = good, linear = bad" and that's both boring and way too narrow a focus.

How did he feel about the OoT Water Temple? Because that's non-linear, and so terrible that the game designer has officially apologized.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cleretic posted:

How did he feel about the OoT Water Temple? Because that's non-linear, and so terrible that the game designer has officially apologized.

He loved it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

s.i.r.e. posted:

The first one made it to Europe, the second one is Japan-only.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jsor posted:

He loved it.

Then why did people continue to listen to him? That is as concrete a way to be wrong about Zelda as you can get.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The water temple was really fun though, especially with the 3ds version changes. It was just super difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the Water Temple more on a replay, because it's just about checking all four sides and remembering which ones had multiple levels. The Oracle games layering 3 dimensions onto their dungeons is actually way more confusing, because it's hard to think that way in 2-D games. The "Where do I have to jump down to get here?" phenomenon is really annoying in some of the later dungeons.