Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Noctone posted:

Doesn't the game practically mock you if you get all the Korok seeds? There's no way I'm ever gonna seek them all out, I've dumped over 100 hours into the game and still only have found maybe a couple hundred of them.

Yes, your reward is literally poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zore posted:

Yes, your reward is literally poo poo.

Your true reward is finding out you've been collecting little shits all along.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The worst part about the new DLC is finding the damned challenges, though. I use an online guide because gently caress trying to decipher those maps.

I recognized two immediately and scoured the map briefly to guess at the other one. It rewards having tooled around the world for hundreds of hours.

I can see how it could be frustrating but I thought it was neat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you’ve spent a ton of time looking at the map they’re pretty easy, but I can see how they could get frustrating.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress that, exploration is one of the primary goals of the game so tough poo poo if you’d rather just barrel towards things to finish a game as soon as you bought it. So yeah I guess it’s frustrating.

Also: the Golden poo poo is actually a thing in Japan
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_no_unko

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, I mean I just didn't recognize a lot of the places. The fact that the map on the shrines is painted and the map in the sheikah slate is like this google traffic approximation didn't match in my head. I love exploring, but was just frustrated at not being able to find the actual places because I misjudged which mountain was which.

Humans are supposed to be good at pattern matching but I am a bad human, I guess.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Zoran posted:

Your true reward is finding out you've been collecting little shits all along.

Hence the reason the description of the seeds mention they smell funny.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you just started the game I'd just crash through the 4 temples as quickly as possible, it's not that much honestly, and get it to do the rest of the side-quests/majority of the shrines. It's the best mode of transportation hands down. Plus the quest for it is some of the best content in the game too for what it's worth.

Pretty sure the bike is his divine beast.

I've already played through the main game entirely twice so I kinda got burned out on it. The only thing I'd have left to do is find random korok seeds.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’ve been avoiding this thread since I’ve only had this game for a week and I want to discover everything for myself, but I just wanted to say that it’s the best game I have played in many years and maybe ever. It’s the apotheosis of open-world action RPGs, but even applying those labels to it feels like I’m selling it short. It’s the most reactive, emergent, fully-realized game world I have ever experienced. Also, I thought I was straight but it turns out I really want to gently caress Link.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Weedle posted:

I’ve been avoiding this thread since I’ve only had this game for a week and I want to discover everything for myself, but I just wanted to say that it’s the best game I have played in many years and maybe ever. It’s the apotheosis of open-world action RPGs, but even applying those labels to it feels like I’m selling it short. It’s the most reactive, emergent, fully-realized game world I have ever experienced. Also, I thought I was straight but it turns out I really want to gently caress Link.

https://twitter.com/shroom_dad/status/964567769881522176

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

Dlc should have given Link his own devine beast. Add an extra phase to the Ganon fight where all 5 beasts combine and you fight Ganon in a devine megazord..
Masterzord. :colbert:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Weedle posted:

I really want to gently caress Link.

:catstare:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Weedle is an alternative account for banned user Paya.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everybody in Hyrule wants to gently caress Link. This is known. It's just that only a few characters don't have some other, weirder thing going on that they're focusing on at the moment.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bongo Bill posted:

Everybody in Hyrule wants to gently caress Link. This is known. It's just that only a few characters don't have some other, weirder thing going on that they're focusing on at the moment.

Robbie wants his wife to gently caress Link.

(So he can gently caress a robot oven.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

I bought this game on release day, which was March 3, 2017 and I have been playing it at least 3 or 4 nights a week since. I played it every single day until probably August.

A game has never gotten me like this before. It’s just so drat good. Coming up on a year of playing it and I’m not tired of it yet.

Also, oddly, in all this time, I have yet to see a bear or the horse god. I haven’t looked up either of them and still haven’t stumbled across them. The worst part is, I have over 200 hours on the Switch version, so my hero’s path is beginning to erase, so once it erases to the point where I’m off the plateau, I really won’t be able to tell if I’ve been somewhere or not with certainty

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
Take a screenshot.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bought this game on release day, which was March 3, 2017 and I have been playing it at least 3 or 4 nights a week since. I played it every single day until probably August.

A game has never gotten me like this before. It’s just so drat good. Coming up on a year of playing it and I’m not tired of it yet.

Also, oddly, in all this time, I have yet to see a bear or the horse god. I haven’t looked up either of them and still haven’t stumbled across them. The worst part is, I have over 200 hours on the Switch version, so my hero’s path is beginning to erase, so once it erases to the point where I’m off the plateau, I really won’t be able to tell if I’ve been somewhere or not with certainty

I just found loving bear riding bokoblins last night for the first time, it was awesome.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I think Hero's path is closer to 250 hours. I have 215 and my path is only about 80%

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's based on movement in the overworld, so time spent in shrines - and I think time spent standing still - doesn't take up any of its storage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well that’s good because there have been more than a few late night sessions where I’ve fallen asleep playing. It would suck to have however many hours of hero’s path blown on standing still

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, I gotta know, if you've been playing for 3 or 4 nights a week since launch day, what is left in Hyrule that you still need to do?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SEE EVERY INCH OF IT.

My playstyle is basically “attempt to do a thing, get distracted, go do the thing that distracted me, come back to that first thing, get distracted before I get there, do that thing, go back to the first thing”. On repeat forever.

I blew through the game on Wii U in a month or so, then I got it on Switch. Since I’ve already beaten the main story on Wii U, I know how it ends, what’s left is all the little things I didn’t do the first time.

I treat it like the worlds most ambitious walking simulator. I generally don’t use horses, I will fast travel, but I do spend a lot of time wandering around getting distracted, climbing, parasailing, etc. I really enjoy the world and the mechanics so I spend a lot of time just hanging out lazily completing things.

Also the latest DLC, I have to finish that too.

Breath of the wild has no pressure to do anything, and I like that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SEE EVERY INCH OF IT.

My playstyle is basically “attempt to do a thing..."

But... what thing are you attempting to do? Surely you've already done every quest/shrine/etc possible after this many hundreds of hours.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not even close. My play style makes such a task extremely time consuming.

It is literally the game I play to chill out and do whatever.

I also play GT Sport, Overwatch, Fortnite, all games that can be stressful given their nature. BOTW is my comfort food.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I get that, but unless you are actively going out of your way to not complete quests or shrines, there's no way you wouldn't have done all that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not even close. My play style makes such a task extremely time consuming.

It is literally the game I play to chill out and do whatever.

I also play GT Sport, Overwatch, Fortnite, all games that can be stressful given their nature. BOTW is my comfort food.

Overwatch with all voice chat turned off in Freeplay is my chill game. Sometimes I just gently caress around with characters. Then I play as Mercy and head into comp to realize that Overwatch was a mistake and I quit for another month.

BotW is, for some reason, my "go-to, get poo poo done" game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m not kidding about how I play. It takes me forever to accomplish anything. FOREVER.

That’s just how I like to play this game. :iiam:

^^^^Its funny the different ways people approach games, especially botw. Team Fortress 2 is to me what Overwatch is to you.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I seem to be in the same camp as Jim. I've finished this game twice, but I'm still out finding new stuff and enjoying that more than anything else.

hell I still haven't done the Trial of the Sword (I really need to figure out how to dodge things better).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes I just start it up and hang out somewhere.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's a pity this game doesn't do many idle activities. Fishing with a proper rod would be amazing for example. Imagine leaving your house and trekking across the map for that 1 pond. Heck I may start doing this, organizing day-trips out of Hateno or other villages. Actually sleeping.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Open up the map. Turn on Hero's Path mode. Find a bridge you never crossed or a mountain you never scaled. Put the Korok Mask on and go there, on foot, by horse, or even using the motorcycle. Do what feels right along the way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah that's what I've been doing. I was pretty freaking thorough when it comes to the desert and the northern portion of the map. I hit-up hyrule field pretty well too. Pretty confident about what I've seen in Akkala. It's really the south-east that I never explored super thoroughly.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i geeked out completely and bought a wolf link amiibo, so now i have a little wolf buddy running around with me :D it even has the electronic beep boop sounds from TP when it teleports to you when you get too far away. its cool and cute and a good distraction + chip damage when fighting dudes, but hes super aggressive, seeking out camoflaged enemies from way out. good fun, but a shame this animal buddy mechanic is hidden away in a somwhat expensive piece of plastic

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this game really rewards following a road and just doing whatever comes natural along the way. my first fifty hours was just adoring how i could climb over everything in my way - but the roads really give you an appreciation for how jam-packed they made the world with little design moments and stuff. its insane

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yo, I just started playing for the first time and I’m at the part where I have to get stuff out of the three shrines for the old man so he’ll give me the paraglider. Where do I go to get some peppers? I already got the ones by that tree fort near the bridge to the cold mountain area, and it looks like I need some more so I can build up my cold tolerance, but the ones by the tree fort haven’t grown back yet and I don’t know where else to find them at.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yo, I just started playing for the first time and I’m at the part where I have to get stuff out of the three shrines for the old man so he’ll give me the paraglider. Where do I go to get some peppers? I already got the ones by that tree fort near the bridge to the cold mountain area, and it looks like I need some more so I can build up my cold tolerance, but the ones by the tree fort haven’t grown back yet and I don’t know where else to find them at.

Around the other side of the non-snow area there's a "logging camp" of the Wanderer's cabin. More grow there and there's a book you may find handy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are more at the other entrances to the snowy area.

E: also I am really jealous of you getting to experience it for the first time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bruceski posted:

Around the other side of the non-snow area there's a "logging camp" of the Wanderer's cabin. More grow there and there's a book you may find handy.

Uhh... I’m at the tree fort right now. Can you give me an indication of where to go from there to get here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Uhh... I’m at the tree fort right now. Can you give me an indication of where to go from there to get here?

By "tree fort" do you mean the one manned by bokoblins in the snow, by the river/waterfall on the WEST side? If so, then I'm talking about the opposite corner of the plateau, back to the warmer areas, EAST to the Temple, and then south.

Edit: got east and west mixed up.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 24, 2018