Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Nintendo was right to resist voice acting all these years. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Nintendo was right to resist voice acting all these years. Yeesh.

that's what I've been saying all along

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

Sorry you can't get your video game sword statue.

So am I. I'm a big nerd, and I want my cheap plastic statue.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bongo Bill posted:

that's what I've been saying all along

Literally only the Goron's voice is good. My friend thought that Zelda's voice was the worst, but I think I'm gonna go for the too-youthful-sounding Great Deku Tree for the loser of this one.

EDIT: The only way the voice acting can be saved as a concept for me is if Link expresses his eagerness to bomb some dodongos, or curiosity at what Ganon's up to.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 14, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Gorons did temple of time.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

Cleretic posted:

The only way the voice acting can be saved as a concept for me is if Link expresses his eagerness to bomb some dodongos, or curiosity at what Ganon's up to.

I'd love the option to have the Japanese actors but with English subtitles. That way I won't be able to tell if they're bad actors or not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The way people have been dogging the English voice actors makes me wonder if anyone remembers what localized games and anime sounded like in the 90's

Or heck, even as recent as 10 years ago

What we've seen of the english version of BOTW is fine.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I preordered the Wii U version and am excited to play it. I just have to get through the last seven temples of Twilight Princess (Wii) or... leave Twilight Princess unfinished as I tear into Breath of the Wild.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The VA sounds fine to me?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want that loving Master Edition god dammit I'm gonna end up paying 300 dollars for it off Ebay in the end I can tell argrghf

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The way people have been dogging the English voice actors makes me wonder if anyone remembers what localized games and anime sounded like in the 90's

Oh, I should clarify, I'm not just ripping on the English voice acting.

I think voice acting beyond grunts and shouts have no place in Zelda whatsoever. I don't care what language it's in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you really need a plastic half sword that you're just going to put on a shelf and never look at? I think the special edition is a much better deal. You actually get something useful and you aren't wasting another 30 dollars.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you really need a plastic half sword that you're just going to put on a shelf and never look at? I think the special edition is a much better deal. You actually get something useful and you aren't wasting another 30 dollars.

I'm a grade A sucker for Nintendo bullshit.

I still didn't buy a Wii U though

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I should clarify, I'm not just ripping on the English voice acting.

I think voice acting beyond grunts and shouts have no place in Zelda whatsoever. I don't care what language it's in.

I think it's silly to draw that line of delineation when characters have had extensive dialogue since the SNES era just because, but to each their own.

Now I will forever wonder what Ghirahim's "SICK WITH ANGER" rant would have sounded like with actual inflection. Alas.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think it's silly to draw that line of delineation when characters have had extensive dialogue since the SNES era just because, but to each their own.

Now I will forever wonder what Ghirahim's "SICK WITH ANGER" rant would have sounded like with actual inflection. Alas.

I always assumed Ghirahim sounded like the pantsless devil guy from Cow and Chicken

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
or Him.

alright, gonna do cave of shadows tonight. i swear to GOD I WILL loving BEAT THIS GARBAGE

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I want that loving Master Edition god dammit I'm gonna end up paying 300 dollars for it off Ebay in the end I can tell argrghf

Well, the only difference between Special and Master is the sword (and the box, I suppose). I'm sure as hell not going to 'buy' someone's preorder off ebay, but after release I'll definitely try to get my hands on the sword itself if I can.

I'm actually a little annoyed they included that collectible coin. I thought it was going to be an exclusive the big conventions like SDCC, so I bought one on ebay, expecting the prices to get prohibitive months afterwards.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the chances that this runs over 20 fps on the Wii U? I'm probably not getting a Switch because my rationality is holding on at least for now but I really want Breath of the Wild to be a pleasant experience.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Harrow posted:

I wonder how the Master Sword will work in this. I'd assume they're not just going to give you an infinite-durability sword with good attack power and undermine the whole weapon-scavenging system. My guess is that it'll be some combination of the following:

a) The Master Sword has durability but it can be repaired, or its durability regenerates over time.
b) It's not particularly remarkable against most enemies, but is very strong against (or the only way to hurt) enemies closely associated with Ganon.
c) It can't be used as an actual weapon until the very end of the game.
It's like the Soul Reaver from Soul Reaver 1

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm actually a little annoyed they included that collectible coin. I thought it was going to be an exclusive the big conventions like SDCC, so I bought one on ebay, expecting the prices to get prohibitive months afterwards.

Collectors editions are not investments.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Siguy posted:

I'd love the option to have the Japanese actors but with English subtitles. That way I won't be able to tell if they're bad actors or not.

I assume that you will be able to since there's no region locking.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It isn't just that the acting is bad (which it definitely is), but the material is just so cringey when read aloud.

The opening to Wind Waker is corny and melodramatic, but reading it with the stylized animations and music gives it emotional context that makes it entertaining. Listening to the horrible voice actress playing Impa talk about Ganon is just kind of embarrassing.

Game looks dope as gently caress though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Voices sounded fine to me.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

just watched the english trailer for the first time and nothing about the voice acting seemed terrible? like i would have preferred the usual zelda voice Sounds instead, but everything sounds fine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

She sounds comparable to any other old ladies I've heard in cartoons and video games.

I think she's fine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Where's the English trailer? I only saw the Japanese one.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Where's the English trailer? I only saw the Japanese one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
It won't be a Zelda game if there's no crazy broken exploits. Can't wait to bomb hover all the way to Ganon and beat him with a glitched super stick within the first 30 minutes of the game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's really because, at this point, Zelda has been expertly working around not having extensive voice acting while still doing a great job of implying what everybody sounds like. In fact, because they've designed around short, non-language sounds as the extent of their voice acting, they've made the most of that. I thought I made a post here about that, but apparently I didn't. Providing some examples:

-Ganondorf's laugh. In OoT, crisp, clear and evil as poo poo, you need precisely no other words from him to know exactly what he sounds like when he's saying anything. In later games (I think starting in Twilight Princess) he's got a really raspy smoker's voice, which is a great fit for his character as being rough, severe, and way older than everyone, but wouldn't be fun to listen to at length.

-Skull Kid. Most of his lines are childish giggles, with the exception of that scream. It conveys his childishness without that taking over and decreasing his menace as an antagonist. The scream has extra effects, so it's clear he's something more when he's using the mask, but it's ambiguous where one ends and the other begins, as well as making it ambiguous for most of the game if the mask has a mind of its own or if it's just power making an rear end in a top hat little kid way worse. Indeed, you don't know until the mask casts him off before the moon section that it had any will of its own, and it's even got lines before it does that.

-Midna. It's not just the fact that she's not speaking in an earthly language that sets her apart from the rest of the game, it's that she's speaking at length, marking her as a clear outsider to Hyrule which has the style we're familiar with from older 3D Zeldas. The fact her voice is blatantly manipulated by various audio effects plays a part too, placing the style of her speech far more in-line with the weird unnatural tones of the Twilight Realms' music than Hyrule's more 'natural' orchestral stuff. But like with raspy Ganondorf, because it's not extensive or used for any actual dialog, it's allowed to stand as just an aesthetic effect instead of getting in the way of the story.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 14, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think it's offensively bad but is Ganon the one saying the "100 years ago" line? If so I don't think the voice necessarily fits.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure it's the Deku Tree.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cleretic posted:

It's really because, at this point, Zelda has been expertly working around not having extensive voice acting while still doing a great job of implying what everybody sounds like. In fact, because they've designed around short, non-language sounds as the extent of their voice acting, they've made the most of that. I thought I made a post here about that, but apparently I didn't. Providing some examples:

-Ganondorf's laugh. In OoT, crisp, clear and evil as poo poo, you need precisely no other words from him to know exactly what he sounds like when he's saying anything. In later games (I think starting in Twilight Princess) he's got a really raspy smoker's voice, which is a great fit for his character as being rough, severe, and way older than everyone, but wouldn't be fun to listen to at length.

-Skull Kid. Most of his lines are childish giggles, with the exception of that scream. It conveys his childishness without that taking over and decreasing his menace as an antagonist. The scream has extra effects, so it's clear he's something more when he's using the mask, but it's ambiguous where one ends and the other begins, as well as making it ambiguous for most of the game if the mask has a mind of its own or if it's just power making an rear end in a top hat little kid way worse. Indeed, you don't know until the mask casts him off before the moon section that it had any will of its own, and it's even got lines before it does that.

-Midna. It's not just the fact that she's not speaking in an earthly language that sets her apart from the rest of the game, it's that she's speaking at length, marking her as a clear outsider to Hyrule which has the style we're familiar with from older 3D Zeldas. The fact her voice is blatantly manipulated by various audio effects plays a part too, placing the style of her speech far more in-line with the weird unnatural tones of the Twilight Realms' music than Hyrule's more 'natural' orchestral stuff. But like with raspy Ganondorf, because it's not extensive or used for any actual dialog, it's allowed to stand as just an aesthetic effect instead of getting in the way of the story.

That's certainly well and good, and I agree with a lot of it, but in the case of Breath of the Wild, which is still recognizably Zelda while simultaneously trying to be very different, I don't feel like it's inappropriate or disloyal to the conventions of the series for this title, which is trying to simultaneously pay homage and redefine the conventions of the series, to use extensive voice action This Time.

Your approach is all well and good, but it doesn't have to be the only approach. It's not inherently superior. In the context of Breath of the Wild, you're waking up confused and lost in a Hyrule where everything is different. And the first thing you hear is spoken dialogue. I think that works for what they're doing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The voiced bit makes me wonder if they're talking about "the Calamity Ganon" or "the calamity, Ganon" the latter which I prefer because it makes Ganon sound more like a natural disaster and plague rolled into one at that point.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think it's offensively bad but is Ganon the one saying the "100 years ago" line? If so I don't think the voice necessarily fits.

I assumed that was the King of Hyrule saying that. Later on I think he says something about "my daughter".

Anyways the voice acting is fine and you goons complaining won't notice anything after playing for an hour. Yet another thing to nitpick over because we can't play the game yet.

So glad someone brought up frame rates again. :allears:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Cleretic gets to the heart of the problem. Every other aspect of the art direction cohesively creates a feeling of a supernatural fantasy story. The voice direction is comparatively a sore thumb. Why does a giant centuries old tree sound like he has human vocal chords? You could cover up the corniness of the exposition by giving the voices a more distinctive style.

But I'm going to enjoy the gently caress out of pushing blocks, cooking delicious steaks, and whacking skeletons with their own arms, so im going to stop being negative about video games now :)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah my only complaint is that the Deku Tree's line is just kinda awkwardly written.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mahoning posted:

I assumed that was the King of Hyrule saying that. Later on I think he says something about "my daughter".
Speaking of which, is he the Old Man you meet right off the bat?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If they didn't re-record the Deku Tree's voice actor's voice being projected through a wooden chamber, then they didn't live up to Peter Jackson's standards. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Cleretic gets to the heart of the problem. Every other aspect of the art direction cohesively creates a feeling of a supernatural fantasy story. The voice direction is comparatively a sore thumb. Why does a giant centuries old tree sound like he has human vocal chords? You could cover up the corniness of the exposition by giving the voices a more distinctive style.

Because this is anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Looks like BotW is going to be my only Switch launch title. I had myself convinced that Mario would be a launch title as well, and I'm proper gutted that it's going to be 10+ months and pissed off at myself for getting my hopes up for no reason. I was 4th in a queue of about 12 people this morning when the GameStop conveniently located here in Bumfuck, Nowhere (postal code = who gives a gently caress) opened and I had no problem getting a grey Switch, I just wish there were more launch titles. Not that I don't have a ludicrous backlog everywhere else, of course.

I'm not interested in any of the special editions of Zelda and I'm just going to pre-order the regular Switch edition on Amazon for the 20% Prime discount, but I'm not going to slag off anyone who really had their heart set on some fun collectibles and got burned. I'm a huge fan of the Lunar RPG series, apart from the hideous abomination on the DS, and I paid nearly $200 last year for a pristine copy of Eternal Blue on the PSX with a copy of the hardcover strategy guide that was still in the plastic wrap.