Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I can’t blame Smol for feeling like the dungeon item should be used to kill the boss, since that is most Zelda dungeons, but it’s a drat shame that the best boss fight in the game was made a little worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

No Untold Chronicles trailer today?

Guess Nintendo’s finally going under, for real this time guys

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cattail Prophet posted:

I think they're saying that they had time for two fire arrows on every pass, not that it only took two total to kill it.

Right but that's the cowards way to do that boss battle. The fun way is to use the gordon mask and reenact Ben Hurr.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man this game's pretty, especially its use of intense lighting.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

https://twitter.com/ZeldaUniverse/status/1321454148081094656?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQqA5rPJL5Q

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's a demo out now for all y'all excited folks. It's one of those "just play the beginning of the game and keep your save data" demos.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
daaamn dude divine beasts playable. :getin:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anyone played the darn demo yet?

I love Nintendo's recent approach of just throwing up the first few hours of a game a few weeks before release. It should really be the standard for big games.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

daaamn dude divine beasts playable. :getin:

I thought that if they were going to do it, it would be but only in a small bonus kinda limited way. Holy poo poo what they’ve shown looks amazing. Goddamn Nintendo...
:stare:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok looking at that trailer it seems the Divine Beasts work the same way as most kaiju do in games not built around them - bad and unfun.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

stev posted:

Ok looking at that trailer it seems the Divine Beasts work the same way as most kaiju do in games not built around them - bad and unfun.

It worked for Beast Ganon in the first Hyrule Warriors.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

stev posted:

Anyone played the darn demo yet?

I love Nintendo's recent approach of just throwing up the first few hours of a game a few weeks before release. It should really be the standard for big games.
Sure have. It's all of Chapter 1 (just two main scenarios and a couple side-fights) - Chapter 2 is recruiting the 4 champions, which of course is where retail will pick up. Game feels pretty slick at this point, I'm excited for the rest of it.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 28, 2020

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just played the first battle of the demo and I liked it. What I didn't like about it is that the buttons are mapped differently than on Hyrule Warriors, which I've been playing for the last couple weeks and I am quite used the controls in that game. Maybe you can change the controls on Age Of Calamity, I never looked into it on the demo.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Impa fuckin rules

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh that's awesome, demos should be more standard. This is the best way to try and win me over.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I love this Impa. She's so adorable and has a slick moveset.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

I just played the first battle of the demo and I liked it. What I didn't like about it is that the buttons are mapped differently than on Hyrule Warriors, which I've been playing for the last couple weeks and I am quite used the controls in that game. Maybe you can change the controls on Age Of Calamity, I never looked into it on the demo.

Yeah, this drove me crazy. I hope there’s an option to change it to the same layout as HW

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Eh game kinda sucks in my opinion, guess it's just not for me. The whole time I was just thinking "I'd rather be playing BotW".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't played a Warrior game since I was 12 and I am not used to this framerate.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm loving the age of calamity demo even if I'm not sure how I feel about the game seemingly being an alternate timeline.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Looks great, feels more expansive, and I like how directly it ties into the feel of BotW with your flurry strikes, sheikah slate powers, and even the interface. It feels very much like the first one, in both its strengths and flaws, so it feels like you'll love it if you lived the first but it probably won't convert you if you didn't. For me that definitely puts it into "cheap used copy" territory.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Seems great so far. Echoing the controls issue though. There were a lot of good options already, but switching to the other control scheme should be added to them. Using Cryonis and Bombs feels really natural and intuitive. I was thrown a curveball with the implications of the story in the opening cutscene, but I'm still excited to see where it goes.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Pretty good progress tonight:

First off, I accidentally pushed a dude from the tree near the observatory while I was rolling in Goron form. That got me the idea that I should try the same thing in the House of Skulltullas to drop the skulltullas from the tree. It worked, but I was still missing a few. After trying out various things in a room where I heard the noise, I realized that you can shoot the beehives. That finally got me to 30, so I found the Mask of Truth.

Afterwards, I remembered that Woodfall temple also had some beehives, so I decided to check if I could find the two remaining fairies. Indeed I could, and the great fairy boosted my mana. Yay!

I decided that I should spend some time playing the mini-games. The archery-related challenges were super-easy with the gyro aiming, so I got the Largest Quiver. I also managed to prevent the mugging of the bomb granny, so I could finally buy the Big Bomb Bag and trade it to the Biggest Bomb Bag with the Scrub in the Goron village.

The carousel mini-game couple game me only fishing passes, even though I finished the two remaining challenges. That seemed odd. Maybe I'll have to finish them all during a single cycle or something...

After getting the Biggest Bomb Gag, I decided to try solving the puzzle at the Goron Palace. I did know that you could light the torches and roll to smash the chandelier lights, but I didn't figure out how to progress after that. This time I noticed some tasty rock sirloin in the ground, so I picked one up and brought it to the goron below the waterfall. Reuniting the frog choir sounds like a really fun quest!

Last but not least, I finally found the Ranch. For whatever reason, I had always thought that exit to the ranch was the exit to the swamp, so I had never taken it. :shepicide:

Anyhow, didn't really have the time to explore the ranch yet, so I'll probably continue with it the next time...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like it but it feels like the framerate should be smoother. That said, I probably need to give myself some time to adjust. I do want to play that first battle again though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the game has voice acting now, so why is the radio chatter that tells you what you need to do still silent? so annoying

game is really fun and feels like a good mechanical advancement of the first game but the framerate is pretty dire and it makes the timing for combos feel really off. Can't imagine how bad it must be in co-op lol.
Impa is insanely cool.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 28, 2020

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I'm loving the age of calamity demo even if I'm not sure how I feel about the game seemingly being an alternate timeline.

Yeah I’m not too sure about this either. I bought the game specifically to see the Calamity, not to somehow avoid it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Turns out Link was the true calamity all along

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
robbie

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wonder if "Man, what a Bosphoramus" is a common Hylian insult

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Almost as bad as the framerate is the lack of butt rock. Power chords and guitar wails really helped the mood of the first Hyrule Warriors.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Eh. I’m glad they dropped the demo because it just reinforced that I don’t like musou games since they are incredibly repetitive nonsense. Too bad, I was liking the new characters. :sigh:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Having never played a Dynasty Warriors-like game before, this rules. Impa is crazy fun to play. And holy crap I was expecting the demo to just be the first battle or 2 but it turned out to be way bigger than I thought it would be. Might just have to buy this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Guess it makes sense they lost the war once the Divine beasts were taken.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Maybe I’m wildly off the mark, but I’m feeling like I’ll have to do some kind of Groundhog Day -esque super cycle before the of the game, where I fix everyone’s problems and the carnival goes perfectly.

We’ll see if I’m correct!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The new hyrule warriors demo is great, really lets you sample the game. I'm not into how Impa controls, her attacks feel weird and she disappears for a long time. Maybe I just need to figure her out. Zelda feels great, for sure my favorite of the three to play as.

I'm hoping that the weird plot reveal means we can get characters from outside the current timeline so we can play with non BotW characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm really hoping the overworld map have teaching/training missions or something because I'm still not 100% sure how Impa and Zelda play as characters. I figured out symbols=more blue shades for Impa but even with trial and error with Zelda she didn't seem very effective.

I tried magnesis more then a few times against an enemy with a metal weapon and it didn't do the thing where it takes their weapon and turns it into a donkey kong-esque hammer you and flip around.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Was the enemy showing the blue Sheikah rune on it at the time? It may be it only works then, like how the cryonic on works well when they are charging, etc.

I have thus far gotten the best results with Impa (most symbols) by button mashing. I can consistently get the symbol from the third combo (XXXY) when it appears (though it sometimes doesn't), but the other two I can't get on command for some reason. She is an absolute beast with 1-3 symbols though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah I’m not too sure about this either. I bought the game specifically to see the Calamity, not to somehow avoid it.

The franchise in general isn't a stranger to timeline shenanigans, and there might be a golden ending "everyone lives" path along with a "BOTW canon" path that leads into BOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I figure the time travel stuff exists solely as an excuse to have fighters in the game who wouldn't make sense otherwise. but to me that's dumb cause I'd probably rather have a normal story campaign that makes sense and a separate adventure mode where the story doesn't matter and you can play as whoever

ultimately I don't actually care that much because my expectations for the story were always pretty low anyway. it's just gonna be zelda anime nonsense with bad voice acting and awkward dialogue and that's fine