Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The rock monster sure killed the gently caress out of the guy playing and I think he was at full health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope you can catch and cook a fairy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Uncle Wemus posted:

Are there motion controls

You can gyro aim. You can use the pro controller if you want though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
From Time magazine

quote:

As the first fully open-world Nintendo’s worked on, what’s the hardest thing about designing for an open world?

This is definitely the first time we’ve created a game this large. We didn’t know where to start. So it happened to be there was a team that was working on creating a larger world. And this team was a group of younger developers. So we had our old programmers from the Zelda team take a step aside, so we could introduce this new group of programmers.

But then these new, younger developers had no clue about how past Zeldas had been created. The group of new staff actually would ask us, like ‘Well I know that it’s been done, traditionally, in other Zelda titles, but why does it have to be that way?’ And among those questions there were some I just couldn’t answer, that I didn’t know the answer to myself. That was because I just took those things on as a tradition, and I didn’t really know why the tradition existed.

When you think about it, maybe those things really didn’t need to be there in the modern world, those traditions. So I started destroying these traditions I’d inherited in the series one by one. But it’s a process that takes a lot of time. And because we were destroying everything we’d done in the past, and rebuild new ideas from the ground up, that was the hardest thing, and it’s really taken a long time to create the thing I most wanted to create.

I love this. It's like the young guns at Nintendo are really starting to have their voices heard and his like Aunoma are really listening.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Watched a video from Nick at Polygon. He tried to throw a torch into some Bokoblins to hurt them, but it just lit one of their clubs on fire. Then the second one ran over and purposefully lit his club on fire and both came after Link.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

Yeah, my shameful secret is that I've never beat Zeldas 1 or 2. TLOZ I came drat close then real life got in the way. Zelda 2 I just can't, I always just end up grinding in the first field forever because I know from experience that if I go to the first temple without doing so I will die a horrible death and game over, and I don't think I've ever gotten past the second dungeon due to either grind burnout or sheer difficulty.

Here's a strategy you can try. Go to the first temple and just keep going in and out to grind. Grind up only your attack. Health once or twice if you absolutely need it.(and there's also a heart container near the first temple). Get your attack to like five or six but never level up your magic or health. Now after you gain that fifth or sixth attack level, get ready to beat the temple. On the way down just make sure you gain enough experience that you "decline" leveling up your health or magic again. Now after you beat the boss and return the crystal you will automatically gain enough experience to get to the next attack level. But instead choose magic or health. The level up screen will just keep popping up as long as you have exp to spare. Spread it around, and you'll end up with Everything at 5 or six because you have such a surplus. You'll never need to grind again, the rest of the game should naturally fill out your levels to eight, probably. Grinding those levels out in the first temple takes maybe an hour and half, and goes by quicker as you gain more attack and kill almost everything in one hit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of wind controlling ability if not the wind waker itself, since you have that glider and wind seems to affect it heavily.

My personal theory is this is either old Hyrule after the ocean dried up, or if Ganon had gotten his wish at the end of wind waker.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just wish someone had tried to shield surf onto a bomb and then detonate it, or stasis a rock, smack it, then climb on top.

I see people complaining about Link's movement speed, and I also agree sprinting should degrade stamina at maybe half the rate it does, but given you have a horse, a glider, and presumably stamina upgrades I don't think it will be much of an issue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have like a $170 gift card from work for five years service and I'm just waiting on the NX release date to drop so I can go preorder.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Perfect timing

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Miyamoto's just had an interview where he said basically the same thing was happening over in Mario town, young developers bringing in new ideas and throwing out some old ones, that they would have something to show probably next E3

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can. Because foldable screens will be a thing so just have one big one.

The 2DS actually has just one screen

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And not kicking you out when you complete an objective.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing the resolution and draw distance will be somewhat different on NX but the framerate will remain largely the same, because developers tend to prioritize the two former over the latter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When Nintendo fucks up the NX launch they don't have to ask me to please understand. I already understand. It's ok Nintendo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the graphics will be different

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ovenboy posted:

With their handhelds they usually release an improved version some time down the line. Has that happened with their regular consoles as well? I haven't kept up with Wii/Wii U hardware. I'm usually a bit wary of getting first version hardware in general.
Basically the train of thought goes: should I get a Wii U for cheap now and enjoy a handful of games on that, plus Zelda, and then get a NX late?

With their consoles oddly enough there tend to go on and release interior versions later.

The NES got a really neat top loading revision though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Comrade Fakename posted:

People should really hold off until the NX is revealed before they make any decisions about this game. There is an outside chance that the NX is just a souped-up handheld machine (that can maybe transmit TV signals to a dongle), so it's possible that the NX could actually look worse than the Wii U version. It's unlikely, but possible.

Well UbiSoft announced Just Dance for it, I don't think they've put that on a handheld.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And it's really weird, the game focused around an apocalypse that happened previously, and an ancient tells you the many ways they tried and failed to prevent it. But then they apparently found a solution but they don't tell you what it is, and the solution is for you to press a button on a pedestal (or don't! Moral choices!)

Blacklist is legit good though, it takes the free good parts from the last Splinter Cell and combined it with the actual good parts of previous Splinter Cell titles.

greatn fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 18, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Davoren posted:

I hope I don't have to complete the whole of the cave of shadows to bring in wolf link, that place is hot garbage.

You can bring him in without ever doing it, he'll just have only three hearts. My advice: you have to do the dungeon three times and it gets harder and longer every time. So just don't do it until you have a lot of hearts. Then you'll be able to finish it with a lot of hearts, very quickly. Fill up with a Zelda Amiibo before the end if you got it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My request, I heard Chico beat steppe talus? Is there video of that?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing bomb arrows will involve rock salt(as a saltpeter stand-in) and probably another ingredient, plus arrows. I'm guessing you'll need to get to a town or forge out in the wild to start making some stuff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You boxed a weird black ball guy, as link, in one of the Oracle ones too, to get the horn for your animal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

coffeecup posted:

Has it been said what is stopping Link from just climbing down the side of the Great Plateau?

I do think it's kind of novel to create a zone boundary the way they have; it's not magic, it's not lock and key, it's not a real wall or an invisible code wall or a pit of spikes or a moat of poison... it's just the plain, matter of fact obstacle of being too high up on a landmass. Pretty neat.

My guess is the plateau height is too tall for the duration of your initial stamina level? I wonder how far down you could climb while also letting go for little drops in between.

It's too tall probably, but you could sequence break by just continually eating meat to refill the stamina gauge

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well there were palm trees in the trailer

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

The Guardians have kind of a Ghibli vibe in general.

They look H.G. Wellsian to me

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife saw wicked two nights ago and the program listed the wizard as the guy who was the original voice of professor Oak from Pokemon.

Edit: gently caress, wrong thread

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the art style was the same

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm watching Four Swords Adventures on Summer Games Done Quick right now, and man this game is insane. If it had online co-op, it would probably be one of the best regarded multiplayer games of all time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It bugs me that they never made a followup (Triforce Heroes doesn't count), especially once they released a console with a second-screen controller as a core feature.. Even just a port of the game for Wii using Wii/DS connectivity back when both were ubiquitous would have been fine.

The thing that bothers me is the game doesn't need a second screen controller, at all. This is what online multiplayer was invented for, a decade before this game came out. And now it's a decade later.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 5, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm just now finishing a playthrough of LttP, and I went and got the Cane of Somaria before I ever set foot in the Ice Palace largely because I didn't want to deal with that bollocks.

This is the proper puzzle solution.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zonekeeper posted:

Yep. Also I grab the Titan Mitt out of the first half of the Thieves Hideout as soon as physically possible to unlock the Tempered Sword. It makes the early Dark World dungeons go so much faster.

That's a bad strategy because when you exit a dungeon before beating it your number of tries increases and you can't beat the game with 000 tries.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In the end of the credit it shows every dungeon name and your number of attempts. If you beat a dungeon in one visit without dying it counts as zero. For a perfect run you want your final count to be 0.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I might be wrong, it might be saving and quitting before finishing one you started.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never liked Koloktos because his fight is so incredibly repetitive. You do a thing five times and he dies, but wait no he got up again, do the exact same thing 7 more times with no variation.

If you're going to have a boss have two distinct phases, you have to make the second phase actually different.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Yorkshire Tea posted:

My response to his conclusion is broadly: "But what if linearity is good?"

Yeah Goron mines is one of my favorite dungeons and it's linear as gently caress

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Carbon dioxide posted:

I agree, but if people consider linearity to be a good thing, why are they so hyped about this open-world game?

Both are good

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

I don't know what's funnier, people who lack the basic coordination to solve Skyward Sword's simple motion control puzzles, or people who struggle for breath trying to do Spirit Tracks' simple panpipes mechanic. Maybe stop choking down mouthfuls of Cheetos like your life depends on it and you'll be able to expel some sustained breaths of air for once.

The latter is on ds which has notoriously lovely mics that have bad failure rates, as well as being something you can't do in public without looking like a weirdo. Also most Zelda players are white so have no rhythm.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the sword controls were fine, expert for stabbing, but motion controls on literally everything when sometimes it would have been much more intuitive to just use the control stick was really dumb. Mainly for skydiving, balancing, remote controlling certain items, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pollyanna posted:

That definitely sounds fake.

Nah man everyone says it's true pretty much.