Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game seems like it has all the kinds of things that could get me to spend like a few hundred hours just messing around and exploring the world. The elder scrolls/fallout games got too samey for me to do that past Oblivion and Fallout 3 so it's nice to see a game that looks like a fresh and fun take on this open world game concept. And it being made by Nintendo kind of ensures a certain level of polish and fun to everything that I'm really interested in seeing more of.

I just need to see what the NX is like so I know whether I'll want to get it on that or just pick up a Wii U for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm really curious if Wolf Link is a one-off thing or if you're going to be able to find and tame animals like wolves to hunt alongside you

Other than having a horse to ride around I mean

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i mean clearly he's talking about Zelda in particular here and not the gamepad as a whole

there's plenty of circumstances where the gamepad adds a lot to a game either as a primary or a secondary screen. its just not something that works for the game they've made here

but i cant wait for everyone to take this out of context as "nintendo shits on their own system lol!!!!" for the next 20 years

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I hope the rumors of the NX being a console/handheld hybrid are true so I can take this game with me everywhere

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I want the Guardian Amiibo to summon a friendly Guardian who travels with me and I can ride it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Calling it now, Link's an android.

i cant believe the ending leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzO2mi4uHAs

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bakanogami posted:

So is there anywhere that's actually compiled a list of materials and what they're each used for in terms of quests/outfit upgrades/weapon crafting/etc?

It'd be a huge help to know when it's safe to sell a certain type of gem/monster part and when I should still be saving it to upgrade my pants to level 4 or whatever.

Kind of on that note, is there actually any point to the gerudo accessories? They're neat and all, but all the bonuses seem like stuff you can get on the helms of other armor sets.

It's safe to sell everything, you can always farm up more of whatever you need without too much effort. The only things I wouldn't sell are the items with something like "you could cook this, but it seems like a waste" in their descriptions, which is basically the game telling you "this is a special thing, hold onto it". And even those aren't THAT hard to get more of.

Even Diamonds are easy to get a bunch of after doing the Zora area, you can just trade glowstones for them at a 10:1 ratio.

As for the armor you mentioned, they're more a style option than a useful piece of equipment IMO. But they're much more helpful for the player if you did the area they're from early on.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Those things are the goofiest things. They bob in the air so shield reflections may or may not work, they only "see" you if you get directly in their cone of light, and they can lose track of you while staring directly at you if you're more than like 30 feet away. They're irritating to kill but nearly useless to have in the first place :psyduck:

Yeah I didn't realize the vision cone limitation at first and was super terrified of scaling the one tower in that ruined castle guarded by a bunch of those things, until I ran into one later and found out how dumb they were. Nowhere near as hard to avoid as the actual land-bound guardians. Especially if you shoot their propellers off, then they're just immobile lumps on the ground.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It feels real good to finally be strong enough to beat those centaur guys and the Major Combat Trial things. I need to track down one of the cyclops dudes and beat those up too

The progression of gaining defensive and offensive power in this game is pretty well done. Very smooth curve

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The more significant shrines should have awarded 4 Spirit Orbs instead of 1, just to make them stand out a bit without unbalancing things much. That would be enough to make me feel like I did something more significant than just stumbling into another random shrine.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Just finished the game with the good ending and overall it was a lot of fun. I've got something like 60-70% of the shrines completed so I'll probably get the rest done at some point when I feel like playing again (probably when the new story DLC hits) but this is easily my favorite Zelda game and really worth at least giving a try even if you're normally not into open world games. There's something about how purposefully the whole world was made, and how everything is actually accessible via gliding/climbing/etc that makes it feel like you really do have the tools to tackle the world however you want.

Link's ability to climb everything everywhere (with like really minor exceptions) has already ruined every other open world game for me just because it makes things feel actually open. Letting you expand his stamina as the game goes on was a great way to kind of soft-gate access to a number of areas, and even then with the right recipe or clever use of gliding you can bypass a lot of these limits and get into areas that it sometimes feels like you aren't meant to be in yet- but you are.

There's nowhere that the game actually forbids you from going, just places you haven't figured out how to get to yet. That's what makes BotW special compared to other open world stuff.

Then you throw in a really fun combat system, lots of neat powers, some nice weapon variety, and the cooking stuff (which, while kind of basic, is basic in a good way) and there's a ton of good game here even without getting to the huge variety of puzzles and the four big ol dungeons that are some cool puzzles unto themselves.

The game had some problems, like weapon/shield durability feels a little too wimpy sometimes and it would have been nice to get some simple way to repair or reinforce items you like. I've seen stuff drop with 'Improved Durability', 'Critical Hit', 'Long Throw Distance', etc so having some way to imbue these properties into existing weapons would have been nice and probably could have easily tied into the crafting stuff. I'm glad armor didn't have durability though. There were also some frustrating moments where I'd get chain-ragdolled by enemies. Particularly there was a Lynel that kept doing this dash-attack while I was in my recovery animation and would knock me down just at the end of it, and repeat that, over and over. And then another time I ran into two Guardians (one flying, one on the ground) and they managed to get their lasers offset in this really awkward way, where one would fire, then the other, then the first, then the second, etc, with just enough time for me to get up between shots, so I could get knocked down again. Those situations were not great. But the frustrating bits were few and far between and the majority of the game was a ton of fun.

I don't know where Zelda goes from here, though. I imagine we get a 2nd open-world style Zelda using this engine and a lot of these assets in a few years, just because it's smart to reuse this giant and expensive thing they made for BotW, but in terms of the proper next step in the evolution of the series I'm really curious to see where things go from here.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Calaveron posted:

What should be my priority buying the final great fairy or a full set or ancient armor

Great Fairy for sure, the Ancient Armor is okay but after like 3 upgrades on your normal stuff you resist Guardian damage enough that it doesn't really matter anyway.

The set bonus is really strong in theory, but the problem is all the weapons that benefit from it have like super wimpy baby durability so you'll just eat through them all very quickly.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Harrow posted:

One last thing about Jim's review: he couldn't be more wrong about the towers. They're not Ubisoft radio towers. If they marked all the point-of-interest icons on your map, they would be. But they don't. Instead, the world is designed well enough that you can use the height of the tower to find those things yourself. That's awesome! I'm sad that he doesn't really differentiate the two styles because I think he's missing a really good twist that makes the "climb a tower" thing fresh.

yeah this is why the towers in Breath of the Wild are fun and interesting instead of just another checklist that gives you a secondary checklist. plus they're way less frequent than the towers in Ubisoft stuff like Assassin's Creed, there's less than 10 in the entire game and the towers themselves are generally built to be a meaningful and unique challenge to scale (outside of a few 'normal' ones)

weird nazi gloves man is not worth anyone's time anyway, never really has been

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

normal/silver/gold mario also

still, you'd think there would be a lot more recolor figures especially with all the alternate colors in smash bros they could have done, or stuff as simple as Link being all black with red eyes or whatever. or fire mario, the various yoshi colors, etc. i guess it's good they didn't lean into that stuff too much though, getting unique figures is much more fun

speaking of amiibo, it really should have been less of a pain in the rear end to get the special items from them in BotW. like make the outfit pieces into the first three scans of any of the Links, at the very least. i've used those things every day and only gotten the hat from Toon Link and the shirt from 8bit Link. at least i got Ganondorf's sword though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cojawfee posted:

"Step right up and buy some bananas!"

Yeah sure bro. Just let me put my armor on and pick out a good weapon first.

i didn't notice what was going on the first time until i saw the banana prices. i was just like, oh man, bananas, yeah i could use those. gimme all you got. wait how much does that cost wait a minute here

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Do we know anything about what the DLC is going to be, really? Outside of the Cave Of Trials in the first DLC, it seemed like everything was super vague.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zaphod42 posted:

The glow despawns in the morning, I think the star stays for a little bit but it either despawns then or shortly thereafter.

These things are a real sumbitch to try to farm up. Why'd they make the classic sets require them?

Its kinda wonky how some armor sets just need some simple moblin parts or butterflies to upgrade, while others require loving dragon horns, and others still require rare fallen stars. It'd make sense if the harder ones were vastly stronger, but they're not! If anything its backwards.

From what it seemed like to me, the ones that needed the common ingredients could have good stats but usually didn't have big special effects, whereas the ones with special effects (or the Amiibo outfits) needed the more rare stuff to level up. Seems like combat-affecting things weigh a little more heavily in this than mobility or weather stuff, since sets like the climbing gear or the zora armor are easier to upgrade than something like the barbarian set.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

is it just me or do the Yiga guys show up more often the more Sheikah clothing you're wearing? like i ran around with just the pants for a long time and got them semi-frequently, then the full suit made them show up all the time, and then not wearing any of it made them seem relatively rare

or am i crazy

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You should do it anyway because Impa's final memory gives you a little Skyward Sword reference.

I didn't pick up on this until i hit up youtube and compared the music. this is cool. i figured the master sword's "voice" was a reference to Fi but her theme playing over that scene really nails it home that it's exactly what they mean by the sword speaking to people. i like that they decided to reference Fi directly with the music instead of just being kind of vague about it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dr. Carwash posted:

So when you're fighting guardians, the M aster Sword doesn't drain at all?

any time the master sword is glowing it seems that it's durability is boosted like crazy. i had it break while glowing once but it took a lot to do it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Harrow posted:

Speaking of the Master Sword, I feel like there should've been a little boss health scaling because that thing just melts the dungeon bosses. I dunno, maybe that's the point.

Yeah I think it's kind of the point. In theory you'd go get the Master Sword last after beating all four dungeons as your final big prep for fighting Ganon, along the path to recover your memories, since the 'last' one chronologically is there where the master sword is enshrined. that way the bosses are a bit tougher and the master sword's really just used to confront Ganon himself but you can do things in any particular order so they just let you handle it how you want.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

murked by dragon posted:

I'm very deep into the game and need to know two things:

1) where the gently caress is the song of storms. is it actually not in the game?

2) are there any overt majora's mask shoutouts? i haven't come across anything which has disappointed me

even in the places where the game rattles off a bunch of references to past titles at once, there's no Majora's Mask shoutout. i guess since it happened in an 'alternate world' or whatever it doesn't get anything

dataminers did find an unreleased Majora's Mask related Amiibo that can give you the full Fierce Deity Link outfit and sword but there's no way to know if that's cut content or future content

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SystemLogoff posted:

Future content, it's in the official guide.

oh cool, well looking forward to buying whatever that amiibo ends up being then. hopefully they do a second run of the other 30th Zelda amiibos alongside the new ones because that OOT Link outfit looks drat good in BotW and he's basically impossible to get right now

still have only managed to get the full Windwaker outfit so far, plus the hat from Twilight and the Classic shirt. with how much special stuff these take to upgrade anyway i guess it's not a huge deal that it's taking a while, but it'd be nice to have the sets completed before i finish all the shrines

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

this one happens in all the timelines, at the very end of them

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Honestly at this point the entire timeline is so convoluted and hosed Nintendo's best option is to retcon the gently caress out of it. Set the villain of the next game to be a dimension traveller and have Link collapse the timeframes at the end of the game. Boom, done - and now you've got an excuse to remake every game in your "prime" timeline.

a followup to Triforce Heroes where the Links of three timelines unify the three triforces to defeat multiganon, forever combining the universes

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DoctorWhat posted:

Right I get that but the 2-way split is caused by time-travel grandfather paradox stuff and is therefore distinct. There's a reason time would rupture. The Downfall timeline is arbitrary - why does a Game Over in OoT split the timeline, but not one in Minish Cap (or even the timewarp segments of Skyward Sword or Oracle of Ages if you wanna get that nuanced about it)?

the downfall timeline is the result of the future where link never came to fix things in the first place. ganon won, link never showed, because he was a kid that probably got killed in the past somewhere along the line while running around trying to do whatever while ganondorf's plans played out.

its just the timeline where there wasnt any time travel, that link ended up averting

then the other two are the future link saved and the past where link returned to after saving the future

like the inciting event is just "link did not go to the future, so he never learned the stuff that he needed to fix in the past"

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Internet Kraken posted:

You can instantly kill flying guardians with an ancient arrow shot to the eye but hitting them can be tricky. Its almost always better to just ignore them because their vision range is complete garbage. A stark contrast to the walking guardians which can notice you from a mile away.

its pretty easy if you use Stasis+

everything is pretty easy if you use Stasis+ i guess

it's kind of broken

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bust Rodd posted:

Link and Fish Princess were so legendarily in love that people are still talking about it 100 years later, it’s ok if you want to ignore that but it’s literally text in the game.

Do you think her ghost is cool with Link dating her little brother though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The true endgame for this franchise is the Triforce polycule. ganon just needs to chill out and date link and zelda. they can run hyrule together it's fine. stop killing people for five drat minutes ganon, and just like, talk about your feelings a little

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Captain Hygiene posted:

BotW2 Link must comically manage simultaneous timed dating quests with all major supporting characters, while keeping each one unaware of the others

Finally, it's time to bring back the Four Sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

that hooded dude is giving me intense Yuga vibes