Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davoren posted:

Lots of people are saying they are buying the collectors edition to get wolf link, which is making me slightly paranoid that the amiibo itself which I just bought off ebay won't be the right thing for some reason.

As long as it's a legit amiibo, it'll work just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Goons, are you going to get Breath of the Wild for Wii U or NX?

Both, obviously

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Fakename posted:

It occurred to me that it will be interesting to see how Nintendo makes an open world game like that work without a real progression system. Every other similar game has you gaining XP (of a sort at least) over the game that you can put into increasing you health and other attributes. Presumably this game still uses heart containers to increase health (although we haven't seen any), but what about other factors like speed or stamina, Will they tied into gear or items? Or are you going to go through the whole game with a fairly similar Link? I can't wait to see what they do.

We know that stamina is upgradable, but as far as I know we don't know the specifics of how

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

I'm getting an NX on release day and I'm super excited to see how Nintendo placates early adopters after it invariably fucks up the launch

Is there precedent for this besides the 3DS ambassador program?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This time around at least there will be ways to upgrade the stamina meter

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Random request: The cool gif of Link jumping off the horse, using fire for an updraft and OHKOing one of the guardians...does anyone know where the source video for that is? Like, where during Treehouse it was?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HighwireAct posted:

In the “Beyond the Plateau” gameplay footage, around 23:30, they show off some prerecorded gameplay clips, and that GIF is one of them

Thank you so much!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pentyne posted:

edit: On that note, why are amiibos so loving expensive? $9 for Ganondorf but nearly $40 for Sheik? Is it a restricted supply thing or are the more expensive ones just that useful?

With a couple exceptions, every amiibo figurine had an MSRP of $12.99. Trouble is, some figures had see production runs than others, or were just more desirable than others, and his sold out fast and are only available on the secondary market like eBay or Amazon Marketplace.

Pro tip though, amiibo are 100% region-agnostic. Find a Japanese import and you'll save a handful of dollars on pretty much any amiibo. There shouldn't be too many that you'll have to spend above $15 or so on, and a lot can be had a lot cheaper than that these days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zuzie posted:

Depends on how successful this game will be... and if there's going to be a Smash 5 in the first place.

It may or may not be headed by Sakurai...but there will be a Smash 5. There's been a Smash title on every Nintendo home console since the N64, and it consistently sells a shitton of units.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You don't play as Link at all in TriForce Heroes. You're three style-savvy heroes that just happen to look like link.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought it uses the sensor bar when aiming weapons

In other news,

Welp, Nintendo DMCA'd them and it was taken offline. Only a few days after they DMCA'd the Metroid fangame.

I really think Nintendo's got a solid strategy here..wait til a project hits a 1.0 release (AM2R's been in development for years and has had a handful of playable demos), then wait a day or two, then do the copyright takedown. Everyone wins, Nintendo defends their IP as they are more or less obligated to do...but there's enough of a window for fans to get ahold of the final product. And once it's out there somewhere, it will never be truly gone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably because it didn't have major publicity until it was actually done and out the door.

There's no way in hell Nintendo wasn't at least vaguely aware of it.

I really think their corporate strategy is to give people just enough time to backup a fan project before dropping the hammer. It's the best way to satisfy all legal obligations without being cruel to fans. They easily could C&D every single fan project they become aware of the day they become aware of it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Die Laughing posted:

Is there any way to play it with the game pad?

Like anything Wii or Wii Mode, you can use the gamepad's screen as a tiny TV. It even has a built in sensor bar.

But because SS doesn't use Classic Controller controls, you cannot use the buttons/sticks on the Gamepad to control the game

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Some buddies of mine are doing a Twitch stream of several Zelda games in honor of/to raise money for one of their brothers who died of an epilepsy-related condition.

They started about an hour ago at https://twitch.tv/MoblinsForMatt and will be running all weekend.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

Some buddies of mine are doing a Twitch stream of several Zelda games in honor of/to raise money for one of their brothers who died of an epilepsy-related condition.

They started about an hour ago at https://twitch.tv/MoblinsForMatt and will be running all weekend.

Hey, this charity marathon I mentioned? They hit their $5000 goal, so they're currently playing Majora's Mask.

Also, I actually managed to show up! So I'm currently on stream with them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Which one was Arbiter's Grounds? I don't recall that at all.

Desert. With the spinner and badass skeletal boss.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

well why not posted:

The 3ds thread was chatting about OOT adult Link & i got to wondering- if he was frozen for 7 years, how old could he be? I'd always thought Kid Link was about 10 - 12, making grownup Link more like a teen.

I think the "official" numbers are 10 and 17. But that's based off hazy memories of a children's novelization thing I had years ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I always assumed that upon beating Majora and breaking the Mask's power, all the various 3-day cycles "collapsed" into one 3 day period of this weird mute kid solving everyone's problems all over town.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Picked up Minish Cap for the Wii U VC. Charming as heck.

Oh and do yourself a favor and look up how to get The Light Arrows. One of the few permanently missable things in all of zelda.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The White Dragon posted:

Was there ever a resolution to the Farore/Din/Nayru looking for a house quests? There were always a couple kinstones I just couldn't do.

Yeah; that's one where you have to pick and choose which two Oracle charm things you want to have access to

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

Stay away from SS. It's going to come out on Switch.

Source?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ColdPie posted:

Man, that would rule. Imagine being able to play Nintendo games without having to buy Nintendo's overpriced, garbage-tier hardware. Maybe someday soon.......

I usually just buy Nintendo's reasonably priced, great-tier hardware instead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

As it is, I haven't played Wind Waker since like '03-'04 and it is the game I want to replay the most. I hope the HD version gets released on Switch.

Why not play it on Wii U?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

Because I have never owned a Wii U, and I'm certainly not going to buy one now.

Now's the best time to get one...the entire library is available, and if you wait too much longer, they're gonna get hard to find.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ronnie posted:

It was really nice of them to announce the DLC just a few weeks before release. Totally not a deliberate move.

EDIT - oh also do not show this added content. Definetly a transparent business decision.

The new stuff probably isn't in a showable state yet. Not having anything to show off is a good sign.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Popete posted:

I know this is highly unlikely but is Nintendo doing a pre-load at all?

Its actually rather odd that they aren't. Most of their big releases get one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Supposedly all the major retailers are getting plenty of non-preorder-allocated units to sell tomorrow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I picked up the mini guide off my.nintendo for 10 gold coins. Unless you've got coins expiring soon with nothing else to spend them on, it's probably not worth it. It's just a control guide and high level overview of the game; no actual walkthroughs or anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

:yeah:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wildtortilla posted:

These octodudes that shoot rocks at you are ruining every expedition to a water's edge. Is there a trick to kill 'em? Arrows and reflecting their rocks don't work.

I've been throwing remote bombs at them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm extremely early on, but one complaint I would have about the story is this : I kinda really like Ganondorf / Ganon as a character. Games like Wind Waker did a good job giving him characterization when characterization didn't really exist in Zelda. Even in OoT, TP, and even Hyrule Warriors Ganon may not have been the deepest character but he still had a cool presence and he was an active participant in the story. In BotW, if Ganon really is only some generic evil beast with no personality who just hangs around the castle then that would be a little bit of a letdown, especially since this game is trying to push story and characters a lot more than usual.

I haven't gone anywhere near the castle, or even the dungeons...but I have a suspicion that there's gonna be more to Ganon than just "he's a sentient natural disaster" or whatever. I feel like that's gonna be the mysterious backstory that Link forgot while sleeping for 100 years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ColdPie posted:

The fact that the Switch supports motion controls is the largest reason I decided not to buy a Switch. If they're there, devs will use them. And motion controls suuuuuuuuck.

Counterpoint: Gyro aiming is superior to stick aiming.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So...I've managed to get my horse stuck on a rock in the middle of a river. She won't come when I whistle.

I have her registered at the stables, will she magically teleport there if I go there?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, you can pull out any horse no matter where it is on the field.

Oh thank goodness

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Someone mentioned up thread, or maybe in the Switch thread that you honestly do never get to teleport directly to your destination. You always have to walk a little bit, and that makes fast travel feel more...real rather than just a game mechanic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I haven't made it that far yet but I read in here as long as they're stabled or w/e you can still get them or whatever via the stables even if you left them in the boonies..?

Yup, I accidentally stranded a horse on a tiny rock in the middle of a river. The stables managed to wheel him right out for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

Also I still need a hat and I don't like the Hylian Hood or the helmet where do I find more hats

Do you have a Smash Bros. Link amiibo? You get a good hat from that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't wear a horse as a hat, jivjov :colbert:.

Derp; Smash Link gives you a horse. I got a cool hat (Specifically a proper floppy green one) from the OoT Link amiibo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Macintosh HD posted:

The Guardian looks sweet but won't fit in an amiibo collection.

mine fits just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jump and press the shield button right?

Hold out shield, jump, press A.