Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DelphiAegis posted:

The loving claw mini game is bullshit too! More than once that seashell just popped right out of the cla as it started moving left.

Haha I love that they added physics to that, it's such a tiny thing but it screws with you so much.

I jumped right in to hero mode since I've beat the original a billion times, and the one thing I don't like is that it really shows just how widely spaced the healing locations are, when you reset to three hearts on every death. Like, in the second dungeon, there's a bit of a hike to the boss even from the warp point, but it's even farther out of your way to heal up first. So I ended up dying to the boss a handful of times because I didn't feel like making that second trek. The remake doesn't need it, but I wouldn't have minded an option to restart with health in hero mode, otherwise leaving the damage and lack of healing as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

reset to three hearts on every death

Or maybe i'm just a dumb and it resets a bit less than full, guess it's been too long since I actually sat down and played :blush:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Can we just enjoy the most hosed up rearrangement in the game for a second?

https://youtu.be/1sLophdyP6E

:shepface:

:psypop:

Is there something screwed up about that? It's so off it took me a bit to even remember the actual tune. I haven't noticed it being weird in the game, although I'm playing with a weird headphone setup which might've helped disguise it.

Otherwise the music is largely great, a few tracks go a bland or odd route but they're mostly great translations of the already-great themes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Just with a basic yes/no, can anyone tell me if there are in-game hints on how to access the color dungeon? If not I might need a guide.

Yes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It probably has a lot to do with my childhood spent desperately trying to play 3D games on chronically underpowered budget PCs, but framerate drops on this level barely even make the slightest impact on my conscious mind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bleck posted:

the original link's awakening

Should've just claimed it was a faithful recreation, I guess (I can still hear the sound of those giant elephant statues slooooowly breaking apart decades later)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure if this is the case but I feel like either I'm way smarter than I was as a kid or they nerfed it but I had waaaay less trouble getting the orb around the dungeon to knock down the pillars this time.

I was so confused by this puzzle as a kid (and my first Zelda game, no less); only part of that confusion was that I'd somehow managed to put the orb in a visible but unreachable place, and didn't realize it in a pre-internet era. Somehow it took me a year to think of just replaying the game from the start*, and then I found the actual dungeon tricky but not horrible.

*The upside was that I played the game incessantly from that save file, and I've never had such a deep exploration of a game system, my proudest moment was discovering the map warp glitch and seeing all sorts of glitchy/final dungeon stuff anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Item Getter posted:

Should I play the two Oracle games if I really like Link's Awakening? Never got around to them.

There's no reason not to.

Personally, I like bits and pieces of them, and a lot of the dungeons, but the structure and (in particular) the world design just feel loose and sprawling enough in comparison to LA that I could never get into them as much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My favorite thing about the LA music is just how well it incorporates little motifs through the whole score. The wind fish song, the cave music, and even the little hidden key jingle are woven through so much of the music (especially the dungeons), even some of the more general arrangement styles show up repeatedly in various places. It really ties the whole thing together in an evocative mood, and in that respect, I don't think any other game in the series has beat it in design.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sadly I opted for Hero Mode so Marin probably lost her chance somewhere around Bottle Grotto :sigh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Holy gently caress that remix of the face shrine dungeon music is good, it's already top notch even before the original news in, and then... :kiss:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LA feels very much like a $40 game in terms of length and content, but I can't really begrudge the $60 that much - the original is still one I break out every year or so, and this one supercedes it in pretty much every possible way. It'll have the replayability to be worthwhile.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bleck posted:

gamers can start complaining about games that cost 60$ when they collectively agree to stop playing gacha games and buying loot boxes

Okay

Checkmate, Nintendo :smug:

e: I swear that "collectively" wasn't there when I first replied, still, I feel like I speak for all gamers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Hard mode is some poo poo for this old man who's always sucked at vidyas. I think I'm gonna restart on normal.

I thought hard mode was gonna be terrible but that's only through the second dungeon, if you're keeping up on collecting occasional heart pieces. It smooths out a lot once you get a reasonable amount of health. Finding the color dungeon armor is good, too.

Steve2911 posted:

Why does Link not simply take the bananas from outside the crocodile man's house and keep the delicious dog food for himself.

He has neither a can opener nor strong sharp teeth :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I relistened to the house music with a different headphone setup and it's fine. The instrument choice doesn't quite fit for me, but I think the main problem I'd had was not hearing the channels correctly; it seems easy to only hear the reverb track (?) for the main melody, which makes the volume mixing go off and turns the main theme sound weirdly off-kilter and discordant.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh my god the remixed Animal Village music is completely adorable :kimchi:

One of the few times I wish they'd have gone rogue and extended it beyond its original two lines, as much as that would've angered purist nerds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Uh, they already expanded a shitton on 90% of the compositions in the game, i dunno why that exact one would rile anyone up

I mean expanding it out to newer material moving forward from that short repeating theme. I think everything I've heard so far has kept the same structure and theme, just presenting it differently. The Face Shrine music seems like the biggest departure but as far as I can tell it's just a pretty radical reorchestration fitting into the same composition.
But I could easily be wrong, I'm <50% and haven't sat down and listened to most of the tracks yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Man the 5th dungeon's boss is so much harder than all of the ones before it. I died at least five times to that loving tail. A good bit of whiplash after that fish who I don't think actually attacked me once.

Jumping does you good, I just got there yesterday and I actually think that's easier than in the original. The jump's extra bit of floatiness makes it more doable rather than just hiding out or constantly running.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One of my few complaints about the game has been that you can't switch from the relatively loose thumbstick to d-pad control - this is mostly fine, but for precision stuff it gives me trouble. Lots of somehow turning the opposite direction when I'm rushing to use the Pegasus boots, but more aggravatingly, those stupid floor-builder puzzles in Turtle Rock. I still know how to work them, but I keep screwing up because I can't use the more precise controls :arghfist:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pooch516 posted:

Have they added more heart pieces and seashells in this one? Or is the Crane Game figures and dungeon builder the only new additions?

There's a shitload more heart pieces and seashells. I collected a bunch of heart pieces along the way and I still have over a dozen left to find at the end of the game. I used to know where all the seashells were too, but ended the game with only 10 and the total number has almost doubled as well :sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I feel a bit disenchanted with the dungeon designer. It's a neat idea but I never felt compelled to do much other than run through one or two when I was short on rupees. I guess so far it just feels so disconnected, like there's no real bigger picture or metapuzzle to think about because the dungeons are just a mishmash of unrelated rooms that happen to have the right number of doors to fit in. It's not unfun, and it's hard to complain about something extra added in, but I'm not really loving it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zat posted:

In the original game, the music in the Southern Face Shrine was always my favorite song in the entire soundtrack, such a beautiful, solemn melody. It's where you learn the truth about the island, so it felt kinda fitting too.

Too bad you only spend there like one minute unless you specifically stay to listen to the music...

Completely agreed, and I noticed that in comparison to the dungeon, the music remix there was almost an anticlimax. It's a great remix but just a straightforward update. I wish more tunes had been reinterpreted so heavily.
The fourth dungeon theme is about the only other one like that I can remember, and sadly that one just flops for me. To be fair, the original there was also weirdly half-assed, but the new chords progression they added never gels with it and it just sounds like two songs playing at the same time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zore posted:

the OoA and OoS adventures

Random synapses firing in a dying brain, prove me wrong :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zore posted:

No one's brain would come up with the OoA trading sequence while they were dying. That would require a level of self-loathing Link doesn't show :colbert:

Indistinguishable from the endless tedious busywork dreams my brain comes up with whenever I'm down with a bad fever, check and mate :smug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the official order is that my scrote hangs ABOVE my weiner

But enough about the DS ones

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

But Goron Link, in his resurrection, fulfilled the promise of a Messiah who would show his fellow Gorons a new truth, providing them (and indeed, *all* the peoples of Termina) a path to salvation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Augus posted:

I did the Dampe challenge where you have to fill in a heart with rooms but I made it so I only have to actually walk through 3 of them to reach the end.

lol

That's the only one I've replayed multiple times, my strategy was to just make it open corridors with a chest in every possible room for >100 rupees/minute on average :homebrew:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also where does TV Link fit into the timeline? Obviously at some point where not only was Ganon resurrected, but things were otherwise peaceful enough that he had time to dye his hair and sit around pestering the princess much of the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I still would've said $40 feels "right" to me but I'm not too salty since I know I'll replay this every year or so. What I really hope is that they do an Oracle twofer, now that they have the engine and a ton of assets ready to go. I really want to try those out again with the updates and streamlining added in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think I could convince myself to go back and finish the dungeon design challenges if there were a way to force it to link particular stairways. The two I did with basement sections were aggravating because I had viable solutions but had to delete sections in the correct order to make the game link up stairs in a way that'd work, rather than in its own order. Maybe that feature is there, I just got frustrated and stopped designing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

you know what shocked me the most in the remake? that those are loving acorns with a bit of leaf (or coconuts?) littered on the beach and not parts of a ship wreck like i always thought on the GB. :eyepop:

Got it in two :D

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm on board with that, both games have a sad/dark vibe that mostly stands out from the others. I missed the dissonant gameboy speaker sad ghost sound from the original, though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Keep in mind you can actually throw objects onto different levels in a room, too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

I remember getting stuck in Eagle's Tower in the original version cause the ball got stuck on one of the barriers you're supposed to throw the ball over and glitched so that I could never pick it up. I was deathly afraid of running into that again on the remake.

Finally, someone else who did that :sweatdrop:
It was pre-internet/gamefaqs, and it somehow took me a good year to even think it might not be a tough puzzle and that I could just start over. I just wish I could remember exactly how it happened to see if I could do it again, my guess is that the remake has a way more developed engine that doesn't allow stuff like that, though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

That kind of implies you can kill those teleporting bastards in the left room, which I couldn't.

Bombs and timing are your friends here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Back in the original that's about the time I'd give in and sit around doing the trendy game until I had the cash for the bow. The remake slows it down enough and adds enough physics for missed turns that it didn't seem worthwhile. Also my time is more valuable now that I'm a successful adult who gets more than one new game a year.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Augus posted:

I remember a lot of people getting stuck because they didn’t know about throwing pots at doors back in the day

And now they make it so obvious it's no longer a puzzle! I figured it out myself, kids these days can too, darn it! :arghfist:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hatty posted:

Just steal the bow

:cop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot to actually steal anything during my playthrough, so in honor of this discussion I paid the ultimate price to steal three hearts :rip:

That satisfied look after you slump over, dead :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat that's cool af (although I'm secretly a little disappointed that he's not catching and hurling back flaming arrows like I thought in the low-res version that loaded first)