Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Was gonna wait to buy but I love this series so I made an impulse purchase. Thumbs up overall it seems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm feeling dumb (just starting)
Got to the top of the tower, the old man is now laughing at me about how to find out where to go next
Also, I don't have a sword and the sticks I was using broke before killing a single enemy.
Did I miss an actual weapon, and where do I find these other towers? This is...not a typical Zelda game

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ignimbrite posted:

Go back to where you first spoke with Old Man. There should be something near there that's metallic and sticking out of a tree stump that'll work better than a stick, for a while.

You need to go to the shrines you can see from the top of the tower. They're glowing yellow-orange. There are 3. Once you get to all 3 you can get off the plateau and go to more towers.

Ah thanks for part 1! Was playing on the WiiU tablet, missed the item at first. Now I can actually kill things.

Tried to get to a few of the shrines, got destroyed by giant laser monsters and frostbite... I am officially Bad at a Zelda game :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man I literally don't even know what to do to advance here, I can't get to any of the initial 3 shrines.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You've marked them on your map yes? One of them should be super easy to get to, you just need to jump over a wall. The other two involve going into a cold area.

Ah poo poo, I missed the easy one and marked one that I could see that was even farther beyond the cold area.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Started the game up again this morning, decided not to be a dummy, cooked some peppers and got to the remaining 2 shrines on the plateau in the snow. Something clicked, this game is really loving fun, and it seems like I've only gotten past the intro.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Myahm Agana Shrine might actually make me go insane
e: rolling ball one

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

This game still isn't quite attaching, and I've gotten all the way to Kakariko. I think I just don't get into games that ask me to explore, anymore. :(

I get bored w/ games a lot too and the end of the plateau was the exact moment I got hooked :( Sorry dude

Zaphod42 posted:

Flip it upside down

AAAAh!! Thank you, what a stupidly easy way to solve that

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Questions:
Early game rupee gathering, how does it happen? I've managed to find like, 30 so far, nobody drops them it seems.
I can fast travel to shrines but not villages, are villages just not fast travel-able?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
seriously tho how do you farm rupees?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm a little lost here. I just finished the Zora dungeon and don't really know what to do now (first dungeon completed). The boss kicked my rear end and I think the only reason I survived was because I had a shitload of apples and other food, which now is all gone. I've got 7 hearts, one upgraded stamina bar, and almost no money. What's a good direction to go from here?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How does one avoid lightning? It one-shots me every time.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wait so no metal things then????

:) Thanks all.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to restart my game after beating the 4 beasts, I felt like I was rushing it. Taking the new game slow now, trying to explore each new region as much as I can, finding as many sidequests and seeds and such as I can before moving on to the next one. I was playing it too much like a Zelda game in an open world game rather than an open world game set in the Zelda universe, if that makes sense. There is so much stuff I missed. I'm also taking my time to hone my combat skills; just beat my first guardian ever (outside of shrines) only using a pot lid :smug:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

Am I doing Ancient Arrows wrong? I shot one at a Major Test of Strength and it just did regular damage.

I don't think they work in the shrines like they do in the overworld.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Runcible Cat posted:

And if you have Wolf Link run around on plains with him, pick up the meat drops, cook and sell them.

I...did not know I could use that amiibo :getin: You can use amiibos once per day?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm v. bad at this game. What's the best way to get regular arrows and rupees early game?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

in the early game, kill bokoblin archers and pick up the arrows they shoot at you and miss with. for rupees, do some vaguely grindy stuff - drop blue chuchus into bonfires, so they turn into red chuchus (worth three times as much.) bake apples, cook food to sell.

may as well sell any rocks and ores you find as well - later you will likely be drippin' in em

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Run around a tower that has a bokoblin with a bow, he'll keep shooting at you and miss if you keep moving and you can pick up his arrows. Rupees, sell ore or make food and sell it.

Sade posted:

Sell extra food and elixirs (keep a few of each kind and sell the remainder). Sell gemstones except luminous stones and diamonds. You'll be rich enough in short order that you can think nothing of walking into a vendor and buying 60 or 80 arrows.

Done, done, and done. Question tho, why not sell diamonds (and luminous stones)? I've stumbled into 4 diamonds before my first dungeon and they seem to have a hefty selling price

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There are a few areas in the desert region that my map goes fuzzy for and I can't actually get to. With minimal spoilers, is there a way to 'unlock' them and if so where do I start?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Found a boring but pretty easy to grind rupees: just northeast of Hebra Tower is a shack where you can play a bowling game using a giant snowball. After the first strike, you can get 300 rupees for a strike. If you drop the snowball basically on the back right of the dude's head, you will end up with a strike or 9 pins, so worst case scenario you get 50 rupees.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a best region for hunting? I've got the wolf link amiibo and want to try it out, just don't want it to go to waste.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's a good stamina elixer recipe? I want to catch the white horse but don't have quite enough stamina and would rather use a recipe right now that repurpose my hearts.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Why not food? Cook some "Enduring" food, like Endura Shrooms.

Do those boost your stamina past the regular limits? I tossed a few Stamella schrooms in with raw meat and it didn't boost my stamina past my max regular level.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

I hope that your experience is as painless as mine. I did the island without cheesing it in any way, and it went very smoothly. The only dodgy bit was when I accidentally awoke the Hinox after after getting his sphere, but I ran far enough away that he stopped bothering me. As for the dark bit, I was in my Stealth suit and I ended up picking up the sphere while on top of the Hinox, and never knew that he was there until I had activated the shrine. I am rather glad that this happened or I would have been very scared going in.

I had a lot of fun on the island actually. I managed to kill the Hinox by dropping the boulder off the top of the plateau on him to wake him up, chucking a ton of bombs on him while he was walking up, then bashing his head in with the crates you can magnetize while running around

edit: what are the weapons you get from beating the 4 divine beasts, and can you replace them if you accidentally broke one? I might have lost the one after the flying beast.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 29, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rupee grinding is so goddamn annoying in this game, but only because I'm impatient and this game is absolutely gigantic and has a shitload of armor to buy. Gonna go for a ride on my horse and farm some lizards and crabs and stuff and enjoy the scenery.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

A scarf could look cool, especially if it provided cold resistance.

Why sell monster parts? Mine ore, kill Stone Taluses, and mark the locations of those things on your map. You'll make money a lot faster selling ores/gems than anything else.

The most efficient way to grind rupees is the snowball bowling game. I'm just taking a chill break and riding around on a horse killin' stuff right now :cool:

RCarr posted:

Honestly, just play the game and don't worry about rupees. Soon you'll have more than you can spend.

This is very untrue I have to say

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think I spend too much time out on the planes and not enough time near the mountains mining ore.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

How? I'm not even up to 80 shrines done yet and I have over 15,000 rupees with nothing left to spend them on.

I have no clue :( Listen I'm a new homeowner in the game, I have (100 rupee per) expenses OK!?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

comingafteryouall posted:

Stone Taluses and especially the rare Stone Taluses will make you rich whenever a Blood Moon happens.

What does the Blood Moon boost? I haven't seen one in days (of live time not game time)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What are good money-making elixers? I currently have a few Electro, Hasty, and Energizing and they all sell for 30 rupees per.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

canoshiz posted:

Same, I think after my first trip into Zora's Domain with all the electric Lizalfos I never dipped below 200 of them.

I have literally 57 regular arrows and 32 combined of the rest (4 ancient) and I felt like I was flying high.

:lol: I am so bad at this game

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spergatory posted:

Elixir money doesn't depend on type, it depends on which/how many monster parts you used to make it. Almost any kind of Elixir made with four Bokoblin fangs, for example, will sell for 100.

Oh nice

Also, just went out into a mountain region and two random rocks yielded 3 diamonds, a sapphire and a ruby plus a rock salt. :stare: So that was a huge cash help

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

The game could sense you had solved your current money problems otherwise, so had no more need to hold back the expensive rocks to spite you. Oh right, did you know you can take photos of rock deposits (all three kinds) and treasure chests to add to the compendium/sensor? :v:

Just realizing the difference between normal and rare stone deposits is also a big help. If you are in a hurry, it's still worth it to smash rare ones you see even when skipping past regular and luminous ones.

I had no idea and this will actually help out a ton, thank you!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else find the desert beast to be more of a PITA than anything? I feel like the rest of the beasts made some sense but I lucked into just about everything in that temple and spent more time running around and rotating things than anything else.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

He means the dungeon.

Yeah the dungeon. It was just way more of a pain than the others for whatever reason, the 64 interior chamber combinations probably didn't help.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Can't say I agree, I thought it was really cool and the rotation gimmick makes perfect sense if you just pay attention to how the level is laid out. It probably required the most spatial reasoning out of the bunch but it was fun and satisfying to figure out. Then again my favorite Zelda dungeons are usually the hard ones that everybody else seems to hate so :shrug:

It makes sense, I guess I just had a horrible time with getting around in there for whatever reason. I'm totally cool with hard dungeons, I guess it just just hit me the wrong way.

What hits me in the right way, however, is hearty radishes and single pieces of meat: full recovery plus an extra couple hearts is so awesome and just gets better the more shrines you beat.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Norns posted:

I'm sorry you can only enjoy videogames while huffing your own farts though my man.

If they smell fantastic and enhance your gaming experience, who's to judge? :shrug:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've gotta say, I love just about everything in this game but the motion control stuff in the shrines is more of a pain in the rear end than it is an actual puzzle.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

That marble maze one is a nightmare. I don't know if there are more of those. The rest of them that I've done were forgiving enough I was able to say good riddance to them in a few seconds.

I just got done with the Toto Sah shrine (south of the dueling peaks stable) and it's just not fun at all. I knew exactly what needed to be done but flipping my gamepad around being more difficult than solving a puzzle was not really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

The hardest motion control thing I ran into was one where you have to guide 3 marbles into holes simultaneously. I kept coming so close and then one ball slide out while another went in. It drove me nuts. Eventually I just flailed my controller in frustration after resetting the puzzle and that solved it :regd09:

That one has been the easiest for me somehow. I restarted after beating the 4 beasts because I felt like I rushed it without exploring and am on my first real complete playthrough. I got those marbles in place both times in like 30 seconds each. If I hadn't cheesed the maze it would have annoyed me more just by the simple fact that if you screw up you go back to the beginning. Like, at least let you restart midway.