Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Anyone seen any new screenshots or video in the last couple weeks from the Wii U version? Looked around Youtube and Im still only seeing E3 stuff. Interested to see how much theyve brought it up to look like Switch (color pallets, brightness, distancing, stuff like that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Inverness posted:

I'm really hoping this game recaptures that feeling from Zelda 1.

I've waited over 20 years for them to return to the cryptic drop-in premise of Zelda 1 and here we finally are.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
PSA: The full EDGE review has leaked and contains major spoilers. I checked it briefly and stopped after a few glances. What I did gather was that this looks like the first time in a Zelda game where the story is legit awesome instead of "Hey this is neat and I dig the lore."

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

:stare: Artax?!

E: Beaten. But props. That's a hell of a gif right there.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Is there a video, from the Wii U leaks, that's non-spoiler and just shows off how the game looks, or does a comparison to the Switch version yet? Would love to see that but not fixing to look at any big spoilers. My max level of tolerance was the mostly innocent stuff going on in most big publisher preview vids that started dropping 3 or 4 days ago.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah I'm definitely thinking of getting this for the WiiU if theres no big performance issues

There's enough reports out now to suggest mild framerate drops when there's a lot of weather effects, certain spots in towns and certain enemy camps. I haven't seen one impression really harp on it too bad, but I question how much of that is influenced by basking in the glow of the game overall. That's why I'd like to judge for myself and also get a sense of the gap between 720 and 900p. Haven't seen any mpressions about the sound differences either.

E: Reddit has an AMA going for the Wii U version but it's marked with a spoilers tab and I'm too chickenshit to wade in, but if you don't care and want to report back you will be a prince to me.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Vikar Jerome posted:

im hearing wiiu has lots of framerate drops when poo poo hits the fan and weather and the switch version only has a few weird framedrops in the starting area.

Yeah, that's good to get some contrarian views.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Vikar Jerome posted:

gameplay vid of the wiiu version, first 15 mins, no spoilers if you've seen the e3 footage. seems okayish? i can see some drops but yeah maybe that day 1 patch will fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsn2MdHOr8

Exactly what I was hoping to check out, thanks. And thanks to the good brother who posted the french translation, very helpful as well.

E: Not super scientific or anything, but I threw this up on a 65 inch Samsung 4K with Chromecast Ultra, and then did the same with the same footage from the Switch version. My impression was the resolution, framerate and lighting differences are noticeable and rise to a level somewhere above irrelevant and below deal-breaking. Summation was that if I were patient I'd wait for a Switch; I however am not patient, and would greatly prefer playing this weekend to a month or two down the road, so basically will depend if I find a Switch this weekend. But appreciate the helpful links to come to the decision.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 28, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

JustJeff88 posted:

I just stopped at my local GameStop where I pre-ordered the Switch and asked when it would be available. I was surprised that the manager admitted that they were already in stock but, of course, they weren't breaking street date. They are doing a midnight release thing but I'm old and don't want to stay up for that.

What did surprise me is that he said that they have four or five units that weren't pre-ordered and were first come, first serve. I'd gotten the impression that that well was dry.

Many retailers are getting some non-preorder stock, but for policy reasons most wont say how much or straight up dont know yet. For example, and this is from my own calling in, in the LA area, some Targets are saying they have stock but wont disclose how much; some Best Buys are not sure at all (although I think I spoke to an idiot so might call a couple others before gameday); and some Gamestops know they have "a few" for non-preorders and were willing to take my number to call me when available.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Vikar Jerome posted:

word of warning, people who are pirating the game early are setting up dedicated youtube channels with spoilers in the channels name, user names, description of videos, titles and thumbnails and its popping up on recommended lists for some people. kinda impressed at the effort but maybe avoid youtube for awhile.

Yeah I cleared my Youtube history after seeing some on the fence stuff pop up in recommended vids, even with just the cover pictures; e.g., I saw a late game mount Id have preferred not to see because that happened to be the thumbnail Youtube displayed.

Fortunately this thread has been good about warnings and is a pretty safe and sane place compared to pretty much everywhere else right now if you want to chat but not run a high risk of spoils.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Rexroom posted:

Famitsu awarded The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the full 40 points in their review.

And the review embargo ends tomorrow.

This brought a smile to my face. I'm old enough to remember when Famitsu was considered the be all, end all, difficult reviewer and influencer magazine. Vagrant Story getting a perfect score was a big deal. That game never clicked with me but whatever.

Also I've been pretty good with spoilers and have no idea where anything is other than Hyrule Castle and I'm all in on going east first.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Holy crap if this is in fact Zelda Maker, although I really hope it's more assets than just Z1.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Dehry posted:

So far it seems like they're using the original 2D Zelda to talk about decisions for BOTW. It could just be an animation.

Ah. thats still neat. Honestly not even salty about that, give me that sometime in 2018 cuz 2017 is already crazy enough in terms of cool stuff.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Very interesting to see all the curiosity about reviews of this game and the critical reaction to it. I don't remember the last time there was so much energy around what *other* people or publications felt. My personal theory is that for all the great games the last few years, it's getting harder and harder for a given game to enter into the canon of all-time classics and to differentiate itself as worthy of that praise, and that this has a chance to do that has given it a certain type of buzz that other awesome games (GTA5, Witcher 3, whatever) didn't have.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

ComposerGuy posted:

I think there's a special circumstance here as well. Nintendo is basically relying on BotW to move hardware on a level I don't think they've asked of any other Zelda game, ever.

Good point. There's a lot riding on this commercially to carry the water until Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey. They're shipping 2 million Switches globally in March, which isn't that hard a sell, but what could be a hard sell is the 7-9 million units needed to keep pace with most investment firm forecasts, or the 10-12 million being called for by more optimistic ones. So at a minimum, that implies that it probably needs to beat total sales for Skyward Sword (3.6 million) in its first year for everything to work, assuming the other big 2 games can shoulder some of the burden to move the rest during the holidays.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

FooF posted:

Perhaps my memory is short/foggy but has any system at launch been as dependent on a single game as Switch/BotW?

The other piece of this is the game's own hype. The E3 demo got people interested in it in a way that is rare these days. Perhaps it is simply scratching the right itch at the right time for the gaming industry.

You really have to go back to N64 with Mario 64. It launched with Pilotwings, which no one cared about. Shadows of the Empire followed shortly after for the holiday season, but wasn't technically a launch game. Fair to consider it in the launch window though. But make no mistake, Mario 64 was a touchstone event for the whole industry, and it was so god drat dazzling that it propelled N64 to not just the cool console to have but THE hot holiday gift to give and get. The only thing on its level that year in all of presents was Tickle Me Elmo.

Super Nintendo's launch was similar, with the titles being Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings.

The other one that arguably comes to mind is X-Box. Halo was the reason you wanted that system. But it had a pretty full-throated line-up with fighting games (Dead or Alive), sports games, a Batman game, and other little diverse stuff like Fuzion Frenzy that you got in addition to the big game.

ComposerGuy posted:

I think Wii Sports sold the Wii, to be honest.

I was in college for this. Twilight Princess was why I got it and there were quite a few games at launch. But as a new gadget and concept, Wii Sports was by far the biggest thing. Bowling in particular doesn't get nearly enough credit as being one of the greatest casual games of all time.

E: Beaten soundly. But I think we're all on the same page: It's N64 as the most clear example, and to a lesser extent XBox, SNES and Wii.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 2, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Tender Bender posted:

None of those consoles were in the bad, "do people even take us seriously anymore?" position that the Switch is in, though. I'm curious how BOTW is received by the general public. The gaming press loves it so far, and I'm sure most first day purchasers will feel similarly (i.e. people who were going to play it no matter what). But what's the general buzz outside of those circles? It's another open world game in a franchise that has seen better days, and hasn't had a home console hit in a decade, coming out on a dead console that no one owns, and a new console with an uncertain future. Real curious how it fares with people who have moved on from Nintendo, or who were in diapers the last time you could actually consider buying a console just for Zelda.

Yeah good points. I think for Nintendo, part of their design decisions had to have been them looking at sales of games like Skyrim (7 million units in a week), GTA5 (did a billion dollars in 3 days), Witcher 3 (4 million units in two weeks) and the like and saying hey, we have this legendary IP that can fit in that space so this is our chance to loving go for it. The trouble is, those games I cited above not only didn't have to sell a new gizmo, they were clearly made for a demographic that Nintendo has historical trouble getting. So for N's part, they're trying to get the casual demo, the loyal Nintendo demo, and the rich 18-35 demo that has moved on, all at the same time, with one E10+ game. The only thing that is unifying all those groups is a truly fantastic video game.

axeil posted:

If the Switch can mange to sell 11 million this year they will have sold more Switches in a year than they sold Wii Us in the whole console's lifetime.

Poor Wii U :smith:

On the sales of 11M, I'm quoting analysts who are really bullish on the system. I've also seen optimistic goals pegged at 40 million in 4 years. Personally, I think it's asking a lot.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah except those felt like they got sold on their own hype for the game and showered it with amazing reviews, despite the games had so many flaws. That's why the Gerstmann review was such a topic of contention because up to that point Zelda had been untouchable and now here's a zelda that, while not bad by any means, didn't exactly set the world on fire.

BotW is the change everyone has wanted out of a zelda for so many years.

Here's a nice stroll down memory lane of the 8.8 incident:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/blast-from-the-past-the-crazy-reactions-to-88-523214/

I don't remember the specifics of the review. Parts of that game are wonderful and parts of it are a shlog (playing as Wolf Link, gold bug fetch quests). 8.8 seems reasonable even if I might go a little higher off the strength of the real good parts. But not much higher.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

That's really cool and classy. Hope to see more tweets like this from folks in the industry.

I'm just waking up to all the news. I like the picture where it's #2 behind big brother on Metacritic (although I think it's #4 now, not that it really matters). Going to be completely unproductive at work today reading up on review stuff.

Also Tony Hawk 2 was mind-blowing for it's time and deserves it's high place. It's legacy is marred because later entries became a total joke, but once upon a time those games could be counted on to be bigtime releases. Good example in gaming of going back to the well after it was dry.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 2, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Waffleman_ posted:

Again, the versions are basically identical aside from a slightly higher res on Switch.

Do you have any links to Youtube vids doing a side-by-side comparison that are non-spoiler? I'm pretty hesitant to wade in deep now that the embargo is over.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I have what might be a dumb tech question: would Nintendo, if they wanted to, be able to release a patch down the road that would "true up" the 900p of the switch to 1080p? Or is that impossible due to the hardware?

I'm so confused on these framerate takes, half people saying the issues are basically solved except in very crowded instances, half saying it's horrible. It's.like the one thing people can't agree on.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Has amazon hosed up like this in the past or is this a special occasion? Id be enraged right now.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Back with a Switch and the game, at long last. Is this one getting patched tomorrow, or how do I update? Noticed it booted as 1.0.0

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
It's so weird that I was tech baby enough to get a Switch because I wanted to play in 900p with a few added sound effects, but tech illiterate enough not to be troubled by framerate stuff. I was reading "horrible" as taking serious fun away from the game and that is not at all the case. I don't really notice it. So for anyone on the fence for either version know that it should absolutely not be a deterrent.

Game is incredible by the way. So far it's everything I was hoping for, and that was on the level of "This better enter my personal canon."

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I played this for about 15 hours today. gently caress. I am pretty disoriented. I haven't done this in a while.
[/quote

[quote="Foppish Yet Dashing" post="469994881"]
I played this for about 15 hours today. gently caress. I am pretty disoriented. I haven't done this in a while.

:hfive: had that same feeling tonight. Its been a long time. Feels good sir

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Question before I spend more money or make a trip to Gamestop: is anyone else having huge issues with the left joycon? I'm getting everything from the joystick not responding to the connection dropping entirely. I don't think it's the game but wanted to confirm. My kingdom for a pro controller for Switch right now...

E: Also if anyone's heard of any calibration tips or things to do to fix it at home I'd love to know.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I have a Zelda 2 easter egg I'm curious about: Is Bagu anywhere in this game with a hidden cabin in a forest? I'll take my answer in spoilers and a simple yes/no (I don't want to know where he is if he's in it).

Also, did the Robin Williams memorial NPC get in the game? Maybe just a character named Robin somewhere or a tip of the hat to a character he played?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Rime posted:

Oh drat, that was a subtle nod indeed. I just got who this is.

Can you explain? I'll take a spoiler on it.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Rime posted:

It's very obvious when you play the game if you knew such a thing existed, I did not.

Very cool, will have to keep an eye out for it. One if the many little wonderful things in this here game.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Kawabata posted:

Those 2 reviews are irrelevant. The game has had a 9.8 score for two weeks now, everyone and his dog bought it already and it's been celebrated as one of the best videogames ever released. Which it is, regardless of a few annoyances.

There's a certain exclusiveness to the Metacritic score being 98 instead of 97. It's real dumb and silly to care but I'll admit to feeling a little bummed about it. Does seem lovely one dude screwed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Looked around the net a little and it seems no one's found all 900 korok seeds yet? Has anyone heard what the reward is?