Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The only bad thing about ALBW is that LTTP lovers say it is a copy and not as good. The truth is LTTP hasn't aged well and is like an outline for the far superior ALBW.

I am a huge LTTP fanboy and I wouldn't say that BLW was a copy or not as good, its an incredibly well done distinct homage. LTTP aged incredibly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

My personal problem with LTTP is that I wasn't alive when it was new, and didn't have a snes so I never played it until I got the GBA port. By that time, many other games had come out that copied parts of LTTP's formula, so it didn't really come off as anything special to 12-year-old me.

The day I got LTTP was the first time in my life I pulled an all nighter. I still will play it start to finish any time I'm sick and can't get out of bed. The art, the gameplay, the music-- pretty much everything about it aged well. Yeah, a lot of stuff used it as inspiration and if you go back and play it after-the-fact it won't stand up to its descendants, but what will by that metric? Any time I sit down to really try to narrow my best game of all time list, this is firmly planted.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

All of TP but the ice dungeon.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I hope I'll have some luck getting ahold of it here in Japan. Now to figure out how to preorder a Switch here too.

It is on GameStop atm but won't let you check out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch them pull a Twilight Princess and release it two weeks later :v:.

I'd be more concerned if they pulled a twilight princess and released the better version on Wii U.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Master Edition gives an empty cart at checkout error on Gamestop, hasn't been listed elsewhere yet. Was hoping it would pop live at 9AM EST.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Well I'm going to take the dog out and hope it doesn't sell out forever while I'm up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep. Chances are your only hope is for when/if BB puts them up. You'll have 10 minutes or less. So, don't leave your computer.

Friday the 13th indeed.

Whelp, time to open a bunch of tabs. And I thought black friday N3DS was a pain in the dick.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you're just after the game itself I can't imagine there being a problem with just pre ordering it whenever/day before, or walking into a store and getting it. I can't think of a time there was an actual shortage of a game in the Amazon era.

Master's Edition doesn't appear to have been in stock anywhere all day today.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

The special edition of Zelda: BOTW is up for preorder on Amazon - http://amzn.to/2jgLRjn

Might want to act fast, this is selling out fast.

Special Edition seems to stay in stock a decent amount of time at various retailers, and the regular edition will be possible to get day-of. Really only need to worry if you're after the Master.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I think if you're after the master edition at this point, you are going to spend 500 on ebay or 129 on ebay next year.

I've got a Master from BB and a Special from Amazon in case the former falls through. Was hoping to get the Master from Amazon to get the prime discount, but i'll take it at non-scalped prices. Can always cancel the Special or sell it at price to a friend/goon if it does genuinely sell out.

e; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N224U9S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21PBD857A1VGL&coliid=I2LZBXO1HMUMF4
This has been popping in and out of stock for the past hour, if you want it just refresh every few minutes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Keiya posted:

I got that from Best Buy, I happened to refresh their page first. That's the edition I wanted anyway. I mean, I'm going to hae to drop $20 on a carry case anyway, so the cool map, collector coin, and themed case is actually a decent deal.

Yeah the map is probably going to get framed and go next to my Zelda 1 manual map. Sword (pending Best Buy not canceling my order) will go right behind my desk so that it is in frame during all video calls with my Skull Kid. May just sell the coin and CD though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I think I'm going to cancel my Special addition Order and just get the Wii U version, but I do really want the cd...

I'm sure all of the Special components will hit Ebay for $10-20 except the case and sword.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/amiiboAlerts/status/820133297988648961

BOTW Amiibo are up. Guardian is already gone it looks like.

Do we know what these actually do in game yet?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Don't the older amiibo give various consumables and the TP wolf gives hearts?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

From what I saw, the special edition has the Master Sword on it. The plastic sleeve has a sheath on it so you slide it down and you unsheath the master sword.

It also has some prettier binding. I am a complete sucker when it comes to Zelda collectibles and even I'm not splurging for it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

This is the book, not the game.

Yeah, I totally dropped on the Master Edition. Which will be surrounded by a half dozen special edition consoles on my bookshelf.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harrow posted:

I really hope they've fixed the colors in the Wii U version since the E3 demo--they look so much nicer in the Switch version and washed out colors ruining a beautiful game is just the kind of thing to make me prematurely buy a Switch.

I'm getting a big Mononoke meets Nausicaa vibe from the game in general and I love it. Everything about BotW's setting and aesthetics is perfect for me.

Also I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised I haven't seen any diehard Zelda uber-nerd angry that Link's default outfit isn't his classic green. I'm digging the new blue look (though I know I'll be replacing it with all sorts of cold weather gear and armor throughout the game).

I'm sure he will get into his classic garb at some point in the game, though. Nothing wrong with changing a few outfits on the way.

Though I'm still irrationally mad at him being right handed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Just got an email from Amazon stating that the Special edition date moved from the 13th to the 3rd.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The Master sword is required to defeat Ganon in Ocarina of Time, so I would assume you need it to beat him this time as well. No point building up the master sword if Link doesn't need to go find it and kill Ganon with it.

Isn't the fastest way to beat him with Deku Sticks?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can do 99% of that stuff through passwords if you really want to.

Some of the rings are in fixed locations, some are random drops from gacha seeds, some are specific to either game and/or the linked quest from either game, one can only be obtained by playing on a GBA. If you regularly plant and check your gacha seeds over the course of both games you'll get most of them without much hassle but it's still tedious.

Yeah, not having done the Rings, Figures, or Fusions to 100% is a sign of sanity.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

He's lukewarm on lttp too. Besides a couple dungeons and some fun gimmicks. What ha wants doesn't exist, the illusion of what he wants exists in some of the games, but he kills that by graphing them too much. I was very surprised at the lttp and LA episodes for this reason.

Its Make Hyrule Great Again. Go back to a time where dungeons let you explore and use special reasoning, and weren't tedious when they did it.

AKA when you were younger and dumber and didn't have years of gaming knowledge to see through puzzles.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get the hate for Skyward Sword. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's not the best, but it's still pretty good. It also has a lot of good features in it that need to show up in BotW. The only complaints I have are that the motion controls sometimes don't do exactly what I intended, some things should have just used the joystick instead of motion controls, and a couple of the fights get tedious. Though the last one would be true regardless of what control scheme you use.

I loved Skyward Sword. It had plenty of flaws, but the art direction, gameplay, and dungeon design were a great nostalgic hit for me. I played it in a few long sittings, so the tutorial popups resetting whenever you loaded only occurred a few times for me, and yes Fi + flying around were really really annoying, but i think the good more than made up for it. If I recall, there was a homebrew patch that removed a lot of the handholding too. Controls are fine as long as you realize winding up = swinging the wrong way, its all wrist flicks.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Arcland posted:

I reserved the special edition with the intention of just dropping down to the normal edition. But I think I might just keep the SE. The map and carrying case look pretty cool.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the map? I have my Zelda 1 manual map framed on a wall, going to throw this one up next to it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Friend who has only played Ocarina 3D and was thinking about getting Breath of the Wild asked me to explain the timeline to him. Do you ever have a moment of self reflection after doing something and wonder "how did I get here"?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Gonna get it and be cool.

Is anyone else easing off of Breath of the Wild news in anticipation of the game? I'm trying not to learn anything else about the game or get hyped any further because it's almost here and I'm just trying not to count the days.

I've been easing off of all Switch news since getting all my pre orders done.

I already have WW Link and two Pokemon Nendoroids, I feel like getting any more of these is going to put me on that slippery slope people keep talking about.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did we ever get any indication of what the amiibo for BOTW do? I have a few link/zelda for the consumables and the Wolf for the buddy, but don't love any of the new ones.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

coffeecup posted:

For some, yeah: NOA Tumblr

However no info on the ones revealed since Jan 13th, I believe.

Yes, but the new ones.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I dropped into my local GS and nabbed a collectors ed. of TP for a nice smooth 40 euros. Took my Wiiu out of a drawer and all.

2 things, woah the WiiU pad's screen can get super gross and dusty, and also when did the WiiU Vc get Skyward Sword and the DS Zeldas?? I think you can play every Zelda now between the Wiiu and 3ds legitimately except for 4 Swords?

Also I'm about 20 mins into TP and I forgot all about herding goats and doing nothing for like a year at the start of this game.

You need to have been a 3DS Ambassador to get Minish Cap.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

There's plenty on ebay, but there's also plenty of fakes.

Yeah the GBA market is probably more fake than not for any chase games at this point. Invest in a flash cart!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Remember when everyone lost their poo poo about Wind Waker being cel shaded? Has the Zelda fan community gotten over their hard-on for "realistic Zelda"?

As it is, I haven't played Wind Waker since like '03-'04 and it is the game I want to replay the most. I hope the HD version gets released on Switch.

The HD version is beautiful and has some great gameplay tweaks. That game aged beautifully.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lemming posted:

https://gfycat.com/PessimisticNeighboringDalmatian

:popeye:

I can't wait to roleplay as a B-52 bomber

Rock. loving. Hard.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MokBa posted:

Tell her to Git Gud.

:yeah:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Think that is $20 pretty, not $50 pretty. God knows I'd never actually open it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I used to actively collect printed strategy guides and then stopped and liquidated a good portion of them, mostly due to the space that they were taking up. I rarely buy any these days, but Zelda is the one exception. I bought the treasure chest and I have a hardcover guide with those gold pages for every Zelda game in the main series that has one, and a softcover guide for all of the others.

I have some pretty rare guides from the "golden age" of guides of which I'm still quite fond. System Shock 2, the guide for Earthbound, the fan-made guide to Mother 3, a mint-condition hardcover guide to Lunar: Eternal Blue on the PSX and a few others that would sell for a fair amount. I just can't bring myself to part with a book, which is why I have so many more academic/professional books in various languages as well.

I lost my Super Mario RPG guide and cannot seem to remember how to get into Belomb's treasure room the second time you see him, and never seem to remember to look it up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MokBa posted:

Shut up about DLC chat and look at this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c356a4843f&th=1

Oh wait whoops.

I mean, at least this way I get the extra points on my Amazon rewards card?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Even with review copies in the wild, do we still not know what the hell the new BOTW amiibo do?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just got this in:

The book is loving huge.

Oh poo poo that must be why my doorbell rang before. Time to go check it out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BowieFett posted:

Gamexplain posted a video showing off what the BotW amiibo do, according to the backs of their boxes. It looks like they all just give rare items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdANVP7QXHo

I can't tell if this is a disappointment for being so boring, or a relief that I don't have to buy them because they're meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Calaveron posted:

That was the coolest poo poo. How many zelda games had those crazy item exchanging quests for best weapons? I remember Link's Awakening had one too

LA had the item exchange quest to unlock the path through the windfish's egg, the best sword was just collecting seashells. The best weapon was just equipping your bow and bombs at the same time and mashing them together.